HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Add one player to this team (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=33902)

John Flyers Fan 12-06-2003 10:45 AM

Add one player to this team

If you could add one former Flyer (since 1980) to this team who would it be and why ?

Only player that can't be chosen is Eric Lindros.

One other caveat. you have to take the player as they played for us. Meaning Hawerchuk, Coffey & Sittler as they played for the Flyers, not in their prime's for other teams.

MASK 12-06-2003 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
If you could add one former Flyer (since 1980) to this team who would it be and why ?

Pelle Lindbergh (sp?)

FlyersGuy69 12-06-2003 11:59 AM

Pelle Lindbergh
he would end our search for a franchise goalie. he would probably be even better today than he was back in the day with todays equipment.

BTW, great question.

IronMarshal 12-06-2003 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyerGuy69
Pelle Lindbergh
he would end our search for a franchise goalie. he would probably be even better today than he was back in the day with todays equipment.

BTW, great question.

SLAM DUNK!

bobbyboucher24 12-06-2003 12:23 PM

I went with Kerr because he was a machine on the PP. The guy was unstoppable in front of the net. With our point shots finally getting on net, he would have a lot of rebounds to tap in. Kinda like LeClair when he was in his prime.

dedalus 12-06-2003 12:30 PM

Why would anyone take Lindbergh? Parent is the choice if you're looking for a replacement goalie.

John Flyers Fan 12-06-2003 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dedalus
Why would anyone take Lindbergh? Parent is the choice if you're looking for a replacement goalie.

Only players from 1980 and later, ruling out Parent, as well as Barber & Clarke.

Teezax 12-06-2003 12:48 PM

gotta say my man Rod Brind'Amour, i miss him on both the faceoff circle and the second line centre spot.

Brad* 12-06-2003 01:07 PM

Lindbergh.

As good as Robert Esche and Jeff Hackett have been, Pelle is definitely better then those two. He would be able to carry this team and would remove that concern.

swflyers8* 12-06-2003 01:15 PM

Pelle Lindbergh without question.

He would be a great goalie. Philly would have the complete package. Good forwards, good d and a great goalie.

FlyerFire 12-06-2003 02:02 PM

without a doubt

PELLE rip

Flyers26 12-06-2003 02:17 PM

I would love to say Poulin or Propp,m but look what won the Debs 3 cups! Goaltending! Pelle Lindbergh no doubt about it! I have no doubt in my mind, we would have won the cup, the year he died!

meehan 12-06-2003 02:58 PM

Quote:

One other caveat. you have to take the player as they played for us. Meaning Hawerchuk, Coffey & Sittler as they played for the Flyers, not in their prime's for other teams.

Too bad you didn't say since 1974; I think the answer would be a unanimous one.

BrindA17 12-06-2003 08:16 PM

My vote goes to Rod Brind'Amour, as if you wouldn't know.

Flyman 12-07-2003 12:13 AM

Brindy too.
But Pelle would have been a nice choice.

dedalus 12-07-2003 04:21 AM

Quote:

Only players from 1980 and later, ruling out Parent, as well as Barber & Clarke.

Woops! My bad - didn't see your parenthetical.

BrindA17 12-07-2003 01:25 PM

Take into consideration that most of those guys have not played in "today's" NHL, and they might not be as effective. I think Rod is the best choice here.

flyercide 12-07-2003 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrindA17
Take into consideration that most of those guys have not played in "today's" NHL, and they might not be as effective. I think Rod is the best choice here.

"today's" NHL? Tocchett, Propp, Kerr, Howe, Pelle > Brind A'mour anyday. Today or yester-year. People tend to think today's NHL is better than it was 10 years ago. I disagree. All of above players would be Stars today except Poulin & Brind'Amour. I've never been much of a fan of "stone hands". But thats your choice which is fine ;)

Pelle was ez choice for me.

BrindA17 12-07-2003 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyercide
"today's" NHL? Tocchett, Propp, Kerr, Howe, Pelle > Brind A'mour anyday. Today or yester-year. People tend to think today's NHL is better than it was 10 years ago. I disagree. All of above players would be Stars today except Poulin & Brind'Amour. I've never been much of a fan of "stone hands". But thats your choice which is fine ;)

Pelle was ez choice for me.

If you don't think the NHL is tighter nowadays then it was even as late as 95, then you might need to take a closer look.

Brind'Amour is playing in today's NHL.

flyercide 12-07-2003 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrindA17
If you don't think the NHL is tighter nowadays then it was even as late as 95, then you might need to take a closer look.

Brind'Amour is playing in today's NHL.

Teams are playing more defensively to make up for less talented teams. So what if Brind Amour is still playing? How is that relevent? Propp was one of the best two way forwards in the game. 2nd best next to Goulet during his time. Kerr would be just as dominate today as he was back than. Howe was great offensively & defensively better than anything we have on defense at the moment. I could go on but I dont think its necessary. Just because Rod is playing today doesn't make him better than the rest.

BrindA17 12-08-2003 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyercide
Just because Rod is playing today doesn't make him better than the rest.

Just because those players were good doesn't mean they can perform just as well now.

Dr Love 12-08-2003 05:30 AM

Pelle. I really like Esche and Hackett is nice, but having that franchise goalie--who has proven he can get there--is something you can not turn down.

GoneFullHextall 12-10-2003 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyboucher24
I went with Kerr because he was a machine on the PP. The guy was unstoppable in front of the net. With our point shots finally getting on net, he would have a lot of rebounds to tap in. Kinda like LeClair when he was in his prime.

he still holds the NHL record for PP goals in one season with 34. in the 85-86 season i believe.

bobbyboucher24 12-10-2003 05:40 PM

Yup, that was the Kerr I grew up liking. I remember that season he had when he was scoring PP goals left and right.

Winston Wolf 12-10-2003 06:34 PM

Quote:

Even though he never played for us, I believe he technically would still be considered a former Flyer, so I'm gonna have to pick Peter Forsberg. ;)