HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Jarkko Immonen (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=339242)

dave4 02-01-2007 02:09 PM

Jarkko Immonen

When did we decide this guy is no longer a top prospect? I don't mean 'we' as in absolutely everyone, of course, but looking at the threads regarding potential number two centers we can trade for, Immonen's name comes up a lot.

A lot of people here are saying thing like 'I wouldn't trade our gems like Staal or Dubinsky, but I'd part with Immonen and a second round pick'. I honestly have no clue if this guy is going to make it or not, all I know about him is what I read on this site. I thought he looked OK in the Fall, not great and not horrible.

I thought we were picking up and playing guys like Jason Krog because Immonen isn't ready yet. Is it because he's no longer a top prospect?

Edge 02-01-2007 02:18 PM

I think a lot of people kind of viewed training camp as his time to make his mark.

Personally I think the Rangers did as well and that's why they left a center spot open that has haunted them ever since.

I think when he didn't particularly stand out (he wasn't horrible) is when opinions started to change.

After that there was a severe slump in Hartford where the thought was that at his age he should be one of the guys taking charge and turning that around.

The thing with Immonen seems to be that he isn't particularly bad in any area of the game, but he also doesn't seem to be particularly good either. He's just kind of "there" so to speak.

At 24, going on 25 it probably doesn't translate into a second line NHL center. The question now is whether he can become a third liner.

Bluenote13 02-01-2007 02:28 PM

He's one of our older prospects who hasn't exactly set the world on fire. I think we're all a bit too hopeful on some of the shiny newer prospects, most fans usually are. I still like Immonen, but wouldn't be too upset if he was traded for better, hopefully younger, assets. And I think he will be, cause he didn't come over just to play in the AHL.

SML 02-01-2007 02:33 PM

Don't worry, we'll call him up when he's 30 like Jason Krog.

OleOleOleOleBureBure 02-01-2007 03:19 PM

he should be up here Centering the 2nd line until they find other help. he is still better than Betts. I just dont get this, how betts plays on the 2nd line and Jarko is int he minors.

RangerBoy 02-01-2007 03:24 PM

Renney always mentions Immonen not being able to keep up with the "pace" of the NHL game

SingnBluesOnBroadway 02-01-2007 04:17 PM

I guess the question is when was Immonen ever a top prospect. He wasn't a top prospect in a thin Leafs organization when he was acquired.

BDubinskyNYR17* 02-01-2007 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerBoy (Post 7872792)
Renney always mentions Immonen not being able to keep up with the "pace" of the NHL game

like Colton Orr can when he plays every few games, or Malik on defense for that matter. If he wants to say that, then he should say the same thing about the slow skaters on this team: Malik, Hall, Orr

hlundqvist30* 02-01-2007 04:44 PM

I personally am not a fan of Jarkko. I think he definitely be on the team over the likes of Orr, Ward, etc., but to say he will be a #2 center is looking like an unlikely situation.

klingsor 02-01-2007 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 (Post 7874016)
I personally am not a fan of Jarkko. I think he definitely be on the team over the likes of Orr, Ward, etc., but to say he will be a #2 center is looking like an unlikely situation.

The question is:

Is he a better alternative to Betts or Krog as Shanahan's center?

Fletch 02-01-2007 05:37 PM

He is, klingsor...

at least in my opinion, and at least from what I saw in limited action. It's not ideal. It may not even be good. But it's better, at least in my opinion, and at least based on what I saw in his limited action.

MisterUnspoken 02-01-2007 05:52 PM

No doubt he should be up on the 2nd line because as others have said he's just a solid player, unspectacular but he knows the game and I feel he's a hell of a lot better on line 2 than Jason f'in Krog or Blair Betts.

hlundqvist30* 02-01-2007 06:31 PM

Agreed. Immonen couldn't possibly do worse than what we have, but I'm not going to sit here and call Immonen the answer to our problem at C. Not by a longshot.

True Blue Bleed Blue 02-01-2007 10:27 PM

Well I didn't like his game much either although he is better than Krog. However...I think it's Dubinsky time

JamesG1221 02-01-2007 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SML (Post 7872132)
Don't worry, we'll call him up when he's 30 like Jason Krog.

:biglaugh:

In The Flesh 02-01-2007 10:39 PM

Imo should be in the lineup no doubt, as far as the future, I'm not sure on him.

Right now it should be this down the middle, not Krog.

Nylander
Imo
Cullen
Betts

JamesG1221 02-01-2007 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 (Post 7875478)
Agreed. Immonen couldn't possibly do worse than what we have, but I'm not going to sit here and call Immonen the answer to our problem at C. Not by a longshot.

The only glaring stat Immonen has to his credit is the fact that he wins a ton of faceoffs. You can't go wrong with a guy like that. And really he has a descent all around game. If he got to play 20-25 games straight It's my opinion that he'd put up more points then the likes of a Krog...

hlundqvist30* 02-01-2007 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesG1221 (Post 7881163)
The only glaring stat Immonen has to his credit is the fact that he wins a ton of faceoffs. You can't go wrong with a guy like that. And really he has a descent all around game. If he got to play 20-25 games straight It's my opinion that he'd put up more points then the likes of a Krog...

I completely agree. My point is that the I don't think Immo will be that #2 center scoring 20 goals a year and feeding the puck to the wingers we at first thought. At this point I think he will be a #3 center in the long run.

94now 02-02-2007 10:29 AM

Shanahan being very good himself did not, however, make anyone around him better. So Immonen fell the same victim Prucha once was.
Placing Shanahan on 3rd line with Betts opened an opportunity for Prucha, so now it's time to see if Immonen would be effected the same way. The fact the Rangers do not call him up suggest they plan to acquire 2C soon or Shoenfield needs him in Hartford or both.

Finest 02-02-2007 10:32 AM

Personally I think when the Rangers make a move this year, he will be part of the package IMO.

ATLANTARANGER* 02-02-2007 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerBoy (Post 7872792)

Yaeh, and then you hear we are interested in that speedster, Yannic Perreault! Couldn't we have signed him for nothing?

AXN 02-02-2007 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER (Post 7893386)
Yaeh, and then you hear we are interested in that speedster, Yannic Perreault! Couldn't we have signed him for nothing?

Big mistake not going for him.

klingsor 02-02-2007 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER (Post 7893386)

Yeah well, Perreault is very good faceoff man, whereas Immonen's a very good faceoff man.

Nevermind.

ATLANTARANGER* 02-03-2007 10:23 AM

Immonen should be given a shot, a real shot, not another cup of coffee. He should have been given 20 games to do a solid assessment of his ability to play in the NHL.
Now I think he will be moved and the organization will be surprised at how he performs.

Immonen with Shannahan on the LW, Hossa on the RW. You will give Shannahan the passing centerman he needs, while Hossa will dig in the corners.

Cullen, with Orts on the RW, Prucha on the LW

Nylander, Jagr and Straka

Betts, Hall/Ward and Hollweg

This should have been done monthjs ago.

Taz 02-03-2007 02:19 PM

I have seen Immonen a bit in Hartford and in a few NHL games, he never ever stands out for me but he makes nice neat and tidy plays and wins loads of face offs. That is his game he likes to just do a short pass to let a guy get a shot off, he stands in front of the net and looks for tips also. I never noticed him being slow at all, but he isnt really a 2nd line center and it would be nice if they would play him over people like Krog or even Betts due to the fact he is better offensively.