HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Langdon: underused and overpaid ! (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=34060)

habitue* 12-07-2003 07:33 AM

Langdon: underused and overpaid !

I was really glad when I heard the Habs had taken Langdon and Bégin at the waiver draft. But I was expecting far more from Langdon in terms of his pugilistic talent. How many times did he fight so far this year ? Three... Four times maybe... And he refused to get involved against Vancouver for the two games the Habs played vs the Canucks. How many times did he really wake up his team with a bodycheck or a fight ?

Personnally, I think that he is so far the most overpaid player in the lineup. Playing 5 minutes a game, he is paid like a guy who would play 20 minutes per game for 2.5 million.

I know, we need some kind of a tough guy but so far Souray and Bouillon had fought more for their teamates than Langdon. I don't think he should be dressed for every game and the club should give a chance to another yougster instead.

Madevilz 12-07-2003 07:42 AM

I really dont know what you are talking about, Langdon is doing a fine job. He is one of the most feared fighter in the league and for you information he is paid 500,000 a year not 2.5 millions.
Souray fought what, 1 time? Bouillon? 3 times, but against lightweights.
Langdon fights heavyfights, and fight very well for that mater.

What do you expect, him fighting in every game? Get real, most goons fight 10-15 times a season. Laraque was right when he said "I wouldnt want to be with the habs, if I didnt fight in every game, they would begin to boo me."

Joe Malone 12-07-2003 07:42 AM

You're right he hasn't fought much. I didn't think he'd dress for every game either. But it's nice having a true heavyweight in the lineup. Do you think his mere presence could be a deterrant to opposing players, who would normally take liberties with other habs?

Mike8 12-07-2003 08:08 AM

Take Langdon out of the lineup and you'll see players like Boulerice and Aaron Ward take a heck of a lot more runs at Hab players than they did. Both were tame. Langdon's presence is enough; he has his reputation, and doesn't need to prove it every game.

His presence alone also gives Montreal players the feeling that they can play with more reckless abandon. A guy like Souray isn't going to be forced to make a decision on whether he should risk injury to his wrist, or sit for 5minutes when he's one of the more valuable players on the club.

I have yet to see Montreal get pushed around and intimidated while Langdon is in the lineup.

Traitor8 12-07-2003 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike8
Take Langdon out of the lineup and you'll see players like Boulerice and Aaron Ward take a heck of a lot more runs at Hab players than they did. Both were tame. Langdon's presence is enough; he has his reputation, and doesn't need to prove it every game.

His presence alone also gives Montreal players the feeling that they can play with more reckless abandon. A guy like Souray isn't going to be forced to make a decision on whether he should risk injury to his wrist, or sit for 5minutes when he's one of the more valuable players on the club.

I have yet to see Montreal get pushed around and intimidated while Langdon is in the lineup.

Where did you get 2.5 M from??

HE gets 500k

Corey 12-07-2003 08:38 AM

Langdon is on ice for just a few minutes a game but he serves his purpose. I'd rather see him "dance" with the goons on other teams than have the Habs' skilled players risk injury.

eddy 12-07-2003 08:38 AM

Quote:

Agreed, his presance alone makes a difference. Laraque barely fights as much as he used to because he's made a reputation for himself and his presence alone is enough. I'm not saying Langdon has made the same repuation as Larque but same idea.

BigM1ke 12-07-2003 08:40 AM

Langdon is doin' is job just fine!! Do you want him to fight 3 times each game or what?? Give him a break.

Team_Spirit 12-07-2003 08:41 AM

Langdon is really weak with the puck , and he's also weak without it . I know he can fight every game but he haven't dropped the gloves in the last 6 games ( even if we badly needed someone to fight at Vancouver and at carolina ) . And he's not using is body well to hit people . Iwould trade him back to BC for a pick but that's me .

Rank Player Fight Totals
1 Darren Langdon 4
2 Francis Bouillon 3
3 Craig Rivet 2
4 Steve Begin 1
5 Gordie Dwyer 1
6 Jason Ward 1
7 Richard Zednik 1
8 Stephane Quintal 1

BigM1ke 12-07-2003 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
Langdon is really weak with the puck , and he's also weak without it . I know he can fight every game but he haven't dropped the gloves in the last 6 games ( even if we badly needed someone to fight at Vancouver and at carolina ) . And he's not using is body well to hit people . Iwould trade him back to BC for a pick but that's me .

Rank Player Fight Totals
1 Darren Langdon 4
2 Francis Bouillon 3
3 Craig Rivet 2
4 Steve Begin 1
5 Gordie Dwyer 1
6 Jason Ward 1
7 Richard Zednik 1
8 Stephane Quintal 1

When did Zednick fought this year?

Team_Spirit 12-07-2003 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big M1ke
When did Zednick fought this year?

2 games ago....

BigM1ke 12-07-2003 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
2 games ago....

??? :dunno:

I missed that!

Madevilz 12-07-2003 09:08 AM

Quote:

I missed that!

dude, he fought against Markov
rather a weak fight since Markov didnt really seem to want to fight and only thing he did was pulling Z's jersey.

Vicious 12-07-2003 09:10 AM

Quote:

I missed that!

He "fought" against Danny Markov Friday night. But no punches were thrown in the whole time..

Patty Roy 12-07-2003 09:14 AM

Langdon tried to drop the gloves with Boulerice twice over the weekend...its not his fault that Boulerice wasn't interested!

I think Langdon has done a great job since joining the Habs. I don't know what to say to those who haven't noticed the increase in respect our opponents have given the Habs since Langdon joined our club.

BigM1ke 12-07-2003 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patty Roy
Langdon tried to drop the gloves with Boulerice twice over the weekend...its not his fault that Boulerice wasn't interested!

I think Langdon has done a great job since joining the Habs. I don't know what to say to those who haven't noticed the increase in respect our opponents have given the Habs since Langdon joined our club.

Well said. At least some of us are appreciating Langdon's job so far :)

Habs4Life 12-07-2003 09:28 AM

Langdon is what we need to protect our smaller player's like koivu

BigM1ke 12-07-2003 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs4Life
Langdon is what we need to protect our smaller player's like koivu

Hey Habs4Life! Once again we share the same opinion :)
I really like the way you think hehe!!

Cariboux 12-07-2003 12:51 PM

The is just that the Langdon's fight are not "spectacular". I mean, he's holding his opponent and wait a lot of time before he punches him.

If the fights in the NHL could be as good as those in the Q, it would be great :handclap:

habitue* 12-07-2003 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Komisarek8
Where did you get 2.5 M from??

HE gets 500k

I know he's making 500-600 K... Good pay for a guy playing 4-6 minutes a game. I am just comparing to other guys playing 20-22- munutes a game and making 2 to 2.5 million. That's all

Jeffrey 12-07-2003 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habitué
I know he's making 500-600 K... Good pay for a guy playing 4-6 minutes a game. I am just comparing to other guys playing 20-22- munutes a game and making 2 to 2.5 million. That's all

names me 3 respected goon paid less than 500k !!
good luck !

Vagrant 12-07-2003 02:09 PM

During his time here in Carolina, Langdon was never really regarded as a top shelf fighter. He is more of a consumate team player and a person you want to go to war with. He is respected around the league for his fairness and i've honestly never seen him take a cheap run or cheap shot another player. Like the old saying goes, you'll get more flies with honey. However, when he does chose to fight he does a very good job of not getting himself hurt and embarassing himself and his teammates. His endurance is the best part of his fighting ability. His opponant will punch himself silly and Langdon will come back and throw 3 or 4 good punches while his oposition is going to the ice.

It is actually refreshing to see an enforcer who feels that he doesn't have to come out over the bench and punch himself silly every time he takes the ice in order to maintain order in the game. I actually wish that more enforcers had that restraint. Langdon is a great team player and anybody that regrets spending $500,000 on him should just try to play a game without him! I know if I were 5'8, i'd consider it a miracle to have Langdon on my side.

Team_Spirit 12-07-2003 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caniacforever
I know if I were 5'8, i'd consider it a miracle to have Langdon on my side.

Well Langdon and the 5'8 guy ( Bouillon ) lead Habs in fighting with 4 and 3 .:joker:

Rahan 12-07-2003 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madevilz
Souray fought what, 1 time? Bouillon? 3 times, but against lightweights.
Langdon fights heavyfights, and fight very well for that mater.

You hit the nail right on the head, by trying to prove your point you're giving us a reason as for why we should be disappointed: Langdon has 4 fights, and Bouillon 3. Bouillon is the smallest player, and Langdon is only one fight over him. Bouillon isn't supposed to be an enforcer and still, he had to fight 3 times, as Langdon is an enforcer and barely does more than Bouillon. And the players Bouillon fought were all bigger than him, not _that_ lightweights. Think about it. You're paid to be the fighter and the smallest player almost does more than you do.

Bob Bastards 12-08-2003 05:03 AM

Quote:

I am 100% with you. How many fight Domi have last year, just to do a comparaison? Also, he is always willing to stick up to is teammate and never complain about is ice time, wich is a good thing. I say I am happy with him and we should leave him in the lineup.