HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Watching hockey in new ways (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=340933)

Moof 02-05-2007 02:42 PM

Watching hockey in new ways

As a long time American hockey fan, but never more than a street player, I have had this question for a while.

How do you watch hockey beyond just watching the puck?

In America, everyone knows how to watch football - and I mean really watch it - to break down different plays, see where things open up, etc. Even growing up playing games like "Madden" you learn a lot about playcalling and defense, etc.

For someone who's never played organized hockey, I find it hard to identify plays, especially when hockey is a constantly flowing game.

So basically, I'm asking whether you are at the game or watching on TV, what kind of things can you watch for to see a little bit more of the game than what you might get at first glance.

technophile 02-05-2007 03:14 PM

Try watching specific players, especially ones known for playmaking. Rather than following the puck all the time, pick that player and watch what they do when they don't have the puck, where they go, etc. (This can be tough, since the cameramen aren't cooperating, but if you can go to live games it's a bit easier.)

If you have a DVR/Tivo, you can wait until something exciting happens (great defensive play, offensive chance, etc) and then rewind 10 or 15 seconds several times to watch how it developed; that gives you an idea of what to watch for.

Doctor Hook 02-05-2007 03:17 PM

Being a beer league defenseman, I always watch the D to see what they do in certain situations, how they break out, how they handle 2 on 1's, etc. I'll watch any hockey game and try to learn something, even if it's two teams that I hate.

Kudos for putting in the effort on becoming a student of the game!:yo:

Boston 02-05-2007 03:26 PM

I don't usually watch one player, but sometimes watch how plays develop, break-outs and different tactics on plays such as penalty killing.

Reckless Abandon* 02-05-2007 04:25 PM

Watch Bruin's games and see how streaking forwards always split their defenders.

TBLfan 02-05-2007 04:38 PM

I always focus on the puck but watch what's going on across the whole surface of the ice. If I see something interesting(like a fight or a possible upcoming big hit) I'll focus on that.

fullmetal2405 02-05-2007 04:39 PM

I always keep an eye on the goalies, especially Marty, but that's just because I'm a goalie. As for watching plays develop, take your eye off the puck and just watch how all the players are positioning themselves, where they're moving, how they're moving, etc.

Sometimes the announcers will take the replay of a goal or something and show you how it developed and what certain players did to make the goal happen (especially with devils' games, I've noticed) So there's another thing, see what the announcers are looking at as THEY break down the play. They usually know what they're talking about

Taz 02-05-2007 05:05 PM

What i like to do is watch the players and note down in my head the little things they do or what they do in certain situations and apply it to my game. Works for any sport.

MikeD 02-05-2007 08:06 PM

Its tough to understand a lot of whats going on if you dont understand the different tactics and plays used. If you dont know what a left wing lock is how can you see it develope? You would have to learn the plays and technical aspects. You cant even really learn it by playing a video game like some can with a football NFL video game. You dont call the play.

Its about watching the zone as the puck advances or retreats.. Periferal vision and ice awareness lets you see what is going on in an entire zone. Nearly impossible to keep the whole ice since its so big so behind the play stuff is easy to miss.

Happy Pony 02-05-2007 09:47 PM

Everyone so far has a valid point. It is really hard to see a whole play develop on tv because of the camera angles.

What MikeD said about video games is correct, try learning about different strategies of the game, ask around here or search the web, and then you will begin to see things differently.

TBLfan 02-06-2007 12:39 AM

The good thing about tv is that you'll see things you didn't see if you attend the game and vice-versa. It just sucks sometimes because you'll see something about to happen or someone setup in a position and you see a passing lane open up but they'll be off camera... sometimes that thing you see starting to setup won't get caught on camera and that kinda sucks, especially because you saw it coming.

Wooty 02-06-2007 01:12 AM

HDTV makes it easier.

I am not a good tv watcher. I am too much of a fan and only watch my team. Every goal is based on my team only, not on what the other team did as part of it.

Goalie_Gal 02-06-2007 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullmetal2405 (Post 7927309)
I always keep an eye on the goalies, especially Marty, but that's just because I'm a goalie.

Same here. Even during TV breaks at a game, I'm watching the goalies- which one stays in his crease while they push the snow away, which one goes to his bench and gabs, etc.

But all this advice is really good. Even if you don't have TiVo, tape the games on your *gasp* VCR, and go back after the game and replay parts of the game that you felt like you missed something when you watched it. It's hard to keep your eye on everyone all the time, but what players do when they don't have the puck can be just as important as what they do when they do have it.

technophile 02-06-2007 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goalie_Gal (Post 7933573)
Even if you don't have TiVo, tape the games on your *gasp* VCR

Man, that's old-school. Old-school like, goalies not wearing face masks old-school.

;)

Jeffw-13 02-06-2007 03:54 PM

I like to record games. When i watch them again I like to go back and see why a particular thing happened. Like a goal at one end may have started with a turnover or great play at the other end.

I'll watch each guy and see how each one influenced the play and how all of those things came together to make it happen.

Moof 02-06-2007 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeD (Post 7930098)
If you dont know what a left wing lock is how can you see it develope? You would have to learn the plays and technical aspects. You cant even really learn it by playing a video game like some can with a football NFL video game. You dont call the play.

This is what I'm talking about. Are there any books to read or sites that break down these tactics?

Victory Ali* 02-06-2007 05:30 PM

When I'm watching a game I don't care about (in that the Canucks aren't playing or affected in any way by the out come) I usually watch the puck and the goalie in attacking zones and then in the neutral zone I watch the play develop by looking for the open man to see who's probably going to get the pass and start the play in the attack zone. I also tend to follow my favorite players as well. I'm sure everyone is watching Ovechkin when he hits the ice regardless if he has the puck or not. I also tend to watch the guys who have a reputation for rough stuff just to see if anything develops. Anyway... just my two cents.