HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   A Theory (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=341426)

Doc Hock 02-06-2007 03:07 PM

A Theory

Lots of questions why the Habs placed Samsonov on waivers and not a trade. Well how's this: Gainey has a deal or two up his sleeve and it is predicated on Montreal absorbing half of Samsonov's salary. The team who selects him on re-entry then announces a trade with Montreal and the Habs get a player they want.

Just pure speculation but it does fit the circumstance

Doc Hock

TomPlex 02-06-2007 03:09 PM

Wow... I never thought about it THAT way... :amazed:

;)

WeThreeKings 02-06-2007 03:10 PM

This seems pretty far-fetched.. I mean, say the deal is for Montreal and let's say Anaheim to get Montreal to pay half his salary. But Philadelphia picks him, then the team who was supposed to get him, doesn't, then no deal happens.

GoodKiwi 02-06-2007 03:10 PM

For a team to select him on re-entry waivers, they better be pretty darn low in standings to guarantee the acquisition.

Philly and Forsberg deal maybe? ;)

cjbhab 02-06-2007 03:11 PM

hmm, really interesting.

how long do you stay on waivers?

WeThreeKings 02-06-2007 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P1x44r (Post 7939718)
For a team to select him on re-entry waivers, they better be pretty darn low in standings to guarantee the acquisition.

If we deal for Forsberg, I hope Perezhogin is involved. Just so he can prove Carbonneau wrong.

Kafka 02-06-2007 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Hock (Post 7939676)
Lots of questions why the Habs placed Samsonov on waivers and not a trade. Well how's this: Gainey has a deal or two up his sleeve and it is predicated on Montreal absorbing half of Samsonov's salary. The team who selects him on re-entry then announces a trade with Montreal and the Habs get a player they want.

Doc Hock

Couldn't they just mention in the trade they would pay half is salary? I tought the Federov-Marchant trade had something like that.

Shabutie 02-06-2007 03:12 PM

Quote:

Imo it would make sense. Samsonov at 3.5 doesn't make sense for many teams, but at 1.75, he's a bargain on any team.

Artyukhin* 02-06-2007 03:13 PM

Quote:

does Philly get first pick on re entry waivers?
If so this might work .

still think a playoff contender scoops him up .

WeThreeKings 02-06-2007 03:14 PM

And even if it is Philly.. There is no guarantee no team will pick him up on his first way through the waivers.

habsprospects 02-06-2007 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doug mckenzie (Post 7939749)
does Philly get first pick on re entry waivers?

yeah

guest1467 02-06-2007 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjbhab (Post 7939726)
hmm, really interesting.

how long do you stay on waivers?

24 hours I believe.

Vodka_Tonic 02-06-2007 03:19 PM

suggested this on the sammy waiver thread already a couple of hours ago... guess it might work.

habsprospects 02-06-2007 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 (Post 7939790)
24 hours I believe.

yep, till noon tomorrow

znk 02-06-2007 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Hock (Post 7939676)

Doc Hock

Eklund is speculating the same thing.
Quote:

I just talked to a source in Montreal who believes that Samsonov was placed on waivers at the request of at least one team that may be willing to grab him on re-entry. I wouldn't be surprised, but I have yet to find who the team is. Before today I had heard that Chicago, Nashville, and Detroit had some interest in Sammy.

I am also hearing that this may be a pre-curser to Montreal picking up some "rather substantial salary in the next 7 days."

Doc Hock 02-06-2007 03:57 PM

I have now been linked to Eklund, life is over as i know it!!!!!!

Doc Hock:help:

P.S. What about Philly? What about Florida?? What about Columbus???

One Trick Pony 02-06-2007 04:01 PM

Look at this it will be florida and we will end up wit Bertuzzi, always the uneccpecetd with Gainey, but things that won't help

Skyblaze 02-06-2007 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Hock (Post 7940362)
I have now been linked to Eklund, life is over as i know it!!!!!!

Doc Hock:help:

P.S. What about Philly? What about Florida?? What about Columbus???

Or better yet, you might be his SOURCE! :D

It'd have to be Philly otherwise it's too risky of a move to try. We'll know tommorow.

As for Kafka's question, I do believe that while possible under the old CBA, the new one prevents the moving of cap space from one team to another; so I would think that what you're suggesting falls into such a classification, hence it would not be possible. I may be wrong though.

guest1467 02-06-2007 06:04 PM

Why wouldnt Gainey just send him down to Hamilton and keep him around, so he doesnt count against the cap? Instead of having to pay half of Sammy's contract?

znk 02-06-2007 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 (Post 7941986)
Why wouldnt Gainey just send him down to Hamilton and keep him around, so he doesnt count against the cap? Instead of having to pay half of Sammy's contract?

Because that's verry dangerous territory...

habitue* 02-06-2007 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kafka (Post 7939736)
Couldn't they just mention in the trade they would pay half is salary? I tought the Federov-Marchant trade had something like that.

With the new CBA, you cannot do that.

Puckhead58* 02-06-2007 07:07 PM

Quote:

I like this scenerio!!
I'm thinking that there might be a deal with Philly cookin. I could see Perezhogin being part of it too, he is a scratch for the second straight game and I don't think he is hurt.
I'd say Philly picks up Sammy off waivers, they then trade us Forsberg, and a defencemen (Gauthier or Pitkanen) for Perezhogin, Rivet and a pick or 2.

What do you all think??