HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How is our D doing without Malik? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=341936)

dave4 02-07-2007 03:28 PM

How is our D doing without Malik?

Ok this Malik stuff is really strange. I think he's terrible, I'd trade him tomorrow for a bag of pucks. He's lazy, slow, makes bad decisions, etc...we've chronicled it all here before.

And I like what I see so far out of our young defensemen. I like Tyutin a LOT, Girardi is very steady, Pock seems to have settled down.

Now comes the strange part...Malik's stats. We all know what a great +/- player he is, and we've debated how this is possible. And do you know what our record is in the 11 games Malik has missed so far this year? 3-8!

We're 3-8 when Malik sits out! Nobody on this board is even talking about when he'll return, because most of us don't care. But the numbers say we're better when this guy is on the ice than when he's not. And they also say we're better when he's in the lineup than when he's not.

Are we wrong about this guy? Are the stats telling a story the rest of us refuse to believe? I'm stumped.

Levitate 02-07-2007 03:30 PM

well, he's coming back on Friday, so let's see if the Rangers win

(according to Sam Weinman's blog)

Fletch 02-07-2007 03:41 PM

He's missed three games...

and the Rangers have given up an average of less than 24 shots per game, which is below what they've averaged for ths season - so I'd say the D's doing fine without Malik. The forwards, however, have not been working hard enough, not getting enough done at ES, and not drawing enough PPs to get more opportunities. I think in at least one game Lundqvist only looked OK, but I don't recall which.

What his absence has done is forced Renney to juggle his pairings in odd fashion. Pock, who seemed to play pretty well with Rozsival, has been paired with Girardi. Tyutin, who has been paired with Ward all season, has been paired with Rachunek, who hasn't been good defensively, and of course that leaves Ward with Rozsival. Interesting mix, and perhaps it comes down to Renney recognizing that Rachunek isn't very good defensively and isn't a real partner for Girardi, although with 5 or so less games and going against third lines, maybe that wouldn't have been the worst thing in the world.

True Blue Bleed Blue 02-07-2007 07:25 PM

Girardi>>>>>>>>>Malik

In The Flesh 02-08-2007 08:17 AM

Better D without Malik, even though we are losing.

Ola 02-08-2007 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave4 (Post 7958629)
We're 3-8 when Malik sits out! Nobody on this board is even talking about when he'll return, because most of us don't care. But the numbers say we're better when this guy is on the ice than when he's not. And they also say we're better when he's in the lineup than when he's not.

Are we wrong about this guy?

I don't think anyone is all that wrong about Malik the player.

But, and I've probably said this a 100 times, Malik plays pretty well with Rozival, Straka, Nylander and Jagr.

The worst thing you can do with thoose four is to flip the puck out via the boards, cause nobody will get it back, and nobody will stand up and trap, so lifting the puck out with them is basically the same thing as coughing up the puck.

Marek pretty much always got the right intentions with the puck. He also got good timming. He will look to go at center ice if the flanks are covered, he holds on to it if the other guys aren't in position yet, and stuff like that. Dooing that, he get in far over his head at times and makes 1-3 big misstakes per game. Though, thats allot better then having someone there who will lift the puck out 20 times, or someone who don't have the same timming as Malik got.

I defenitly don't think its strange that Renney are playing Malik there over Pck. It have been so obvious when the 1st line have been out there with Tyutin and Ward/Kaspar how much Rozival and Malik contributes to that unit. There is a significant dropoff when the first line aren't paired with Rozival and Malik.

For me its a complete mystery that someone who seems to be a knowledgeble hockeyperson like Sam Weinman for example think we will be better if Malik is injured. Or stating stuff like "Pck can't be worse then Malik". Its very hard for a D to go from the AHL were there are very little puckmovement to the line in the world of hockey who moves the puck the most. Pck just aren't ready for that, he aren't even close.

Malik's by far biggest weakness isn't the misstakes he makes, its that he must get enough backpressure from the forwards. If we had a stronger D at his position, like a Kubina or someone, we could easily have play Prucha with Nylander and Jagr. Now we must have Straka there, someone who always are able to get back in time.

poeman 02-08-2007 09:01 AM

i hate malik

Larry Melnyk 02-08-2007 09:24 AM

No sense getting into the Malik arguement again..At times he looks like the worst D-man on the planet, other times he plays a more steady game then almost all the other D...And while =/- stats can often be very misleading there is also something to say about the cause-effect relationship that his stats bare out ...

But it's all moot becasue, basiclly, all our D-men are shakey and for us to have a chance to suceed it all comes down to total team defense where the forwards have to make life as easily as possible for the blue line bumblers....This means the 1st line controlling the puck and all the other lines forechecking and backching like last year..ALL on a consitent basis....Renney either doesn't want them doing it or he can';t get them to do it..

Its a PP Goal 02-08-2007 10:44 AM

My biggest problem with Malik is his passes up the middle or should I say turnovers up the middle. They're ridiculous. They always lead to odd man rushes and scoring chances for the opposition and he continues to make the same mistakes over and over. Malik has to cut that BS out or Renney has to bench him.

I wouldn't mind Malik as a 4th or 5th defenseman but he gets paid too much for that. Also, as long as we play high risk hockey he'll be on the ice.

BDubinskyNYR17* 02-08-2007 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Truth (Post 7968103)
My biggest problem with Malik is his passes up the middle or should I say turnovers up the middle. They're ridiculous. They always lead to odd man rushes and scoring chances for the opposition and he continues to make the same mistakes over and over. Malik has to cut that BS out or Renney has to bench him.

I wouldn't mind Malik as a 4th or 5th defenseman but he gets paid too much for that. Also, as long as we play high risk hockey he'll be on the ice.

I say let Malik work himself into the lineup. no reason to sit Girardi or Pock. Other teams do this, why not us.

Fletch 02-08-2007 11:05 AM

I'd actually rather have...

Malik in than Girardi. It gets too hairy out there when Girardi's in, and that's against third and fourth liners. At least with Malik, Tyutin can be paired with Ward, instead of Rachunek, who has struggled defensively since being given more minutes, and Rachunek can go back to the third pair, with Pock. I don't think Malik's very good, and I never liked the pick-up, but without him in the lineup, we see other things I don't like and there is a ripple effect. Further, Ward plays out of position with Malik out of the lineup.

mess11* 02-08-2007 02:01 PM

it's not fair to judge any one of our yuong defenceman after 5 games. They would be much better now if they started the season(like malik did). How can we judge them if they only played for about 1 week. Malik is garbage regardless of his stats.
btw Rozival plays a much more aggressive and productive game when Malik is not playing.

BDubinskyNYR17* 02-08-2007 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mess11 (Post 7970886)
it's not fair to judge any one of our yuong defenceman after 5 games. They would be much better now if they started the season(like malik did). How can we judge them if they only played for about 1 week. Malik is garbage regardless of his stats.
btw Rozival plays a much more aggressive and productive game when Malik is not playing.

yea and he dont have to cover up for malik cause malik is slow at getting back, why have a dman that is slow, that is the worst thing. ud rather have someone with speed to help get back.

NYRMatt 02-08-2007 03:07 PM

Its better to have Malik in our defensive pairings the way I see it.

DontStaal 02-08-2007 03:43 PM

i'm sure Malik gets the nod over Pock.

on that note, I haven't been all that content with the play of Pock. Maybe because the play of Girardi overshadows his own (since we tend to compare the two rookies), but he seems to make mistakes in his own end. Girardi has been a lot more sound defensively and seems to be picking it up on the other end