HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   2007 Draft and our position.. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=342739)

dank 02-09-2007 11:12 AM

2007 Draft and our position..
 
I was checking out McKeens Digest, and checking their top 10 rankings for the 2007 Draft, i see a bunch of Centers. I then proceeded to hope that we were in the bottom 10 in the league so that we could get someone solid to boost our farm. Yep, checking the standings we are squarely 10th from the bottom..

we haven't recently had a good crack at a top, top offensive player in the top end of the draft (correct me if i'm wrong and no, Jessiman doesn't count), we keep hanging around mid-round..

if we do fall into the top 10, who do you think we should get?

and

How far conceivably do you think we can fall? (definitely not to no. 1 or 2, but something reasonable)


this is not necessarily a simple "dooms-day thread", it is more along the lines of a draft day/realist combo.

P.S. for reference they have Kane, Esposito, Turris, Cherepanov, Couture, Gagner, and Sutter in the top 10..

In The Flesh 02-09-2007 11:18 AM

first pick, probably a center, since we are pretty deep on the blueline.

WhipNash27 02-09-2007 11:26 AM

yep I think D is pretty solidified. Center first unless there's a top notch can't miss winger available.

HockeyBasedNYC 02-09-2007 11:29 AM

I like Sutter and the Van Riemsdyk kid from Jersey.

I would like for the Rangers to go after a guy who is low risk and is got the tools to play. Like a Sutter. Not flashy just touted to be a solid player.

The way the league is now...

1 NASHVILLE 79
2 BUFFALO 78
3 DETROIT 76
4 NEW JERSEY 74
5 ANAHEIM 74
6 SAN JOSE 71
7 ATLANTA 69
8 DALLAS 66
9 CALGARY 65
10 PITTSBURGH 65
11 OTTAWA 65
12 VANCOUVER 64
13 MINNESOTA 64
14 MONTREAL 64
15 CAROLINA 63
16 TAMPA BAY 62
17 TORONTO 60
18 NYISLANDERS 59
19 COLORADO 56
20 EDMONTON 56
21 NY RANGERS 55
22 WASHINGTON 54
23 BOSTON 52
24 PHOENIX 52
25 ST LOUIS 52
26 FLORIDA 51
27 CHICAGO 49
28 COLUMBUS 49
29 LOS ANGELES 45
30 PHILADELPHIA 34


Bottom 6 go into the lottery for the top pick, but look at all the teams bunched together in groups of 50's and 60's that could drop or go up in a single game...

The Rangers right now are in the 10th spot.

schmieder44 02-09-2007 12:14 PM

wow just about 2 games from a top 5 draft pick. We'll where ever we land Ive always been a proponent of BPA. So if a top D man available and only maybe a 2nd line center you draft the #1 Dman.

n8 02-09-2007 01:08 PM

With our first pick - best player available.

Bluenote13 02-09-2007 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n8 (Post 7986147)
With our first pick - best player available.

I always agree on BPA, but its tricky. Goaltending is something I might pass up to get a quality forward or Dman if I feel my team has depth in the net.

McRanger 02-09-2007 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluenote13 (Post 7986206)
I always agree on BPA, but its tricky. Goaltending is something I might pass up to get a quality forward or Dman if I feel my team has depth in the net.

We may not have that depth by the time the draft rolls around, if Montoya is dealt.

Either way, I'd rather not take a goalie that high.

Bluenote13 02-09-2007 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McRanger (Post 7986392)
We may not have that depth by the time the draft rolls around, if Montoya is dealt.

Either way, I'd rather not take a goalie that high.

I think the Montoya/Horton talk is all rubbish right now.

dumpsathernow* 02-09-2007 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC (Post 7984720)
I like Sutter and the Van Riemsdyk kid from Jersey.

I would like for the Rangers to go after a guy who is low risk and is got the tools to play. Like a Sutter. Not flashy just touted to be a solid player.

The way the league is now...

1 NASHVILLE 79
2 BUFFALO 78
3 DETROIT 76
4 NEW JERSEY 74
5 ANAHEIM 74
6 SAN JOSE 71
7 ATLANTA 69
8 DALLAS 66
9 CALGARY 65
10 PITTSBURGH 65
11 OTTAWA 65
12 VANCOUVER 64
13 MINNESOTA 64
14 MONTREAL 64
15 CAROLINA 63
16 TAMPA BAY 62
17 TORONTO 60
18 NYISLANDERS 59
19 COLORADO 56
20 EDMONTON 56
21 NY RANGERS 55
22 WASHINGTON 54
23 BOSTON 52
24 PHOENIX 52
25 ST LOUIS 52
26 FLORIDA 51
27 CHICAGO 49
28 COLUMBUS 49
29 LOS ANGELES 45
30 PHILADELPHIA 34


Bottom 6 go into the lottery for the top pick, but look at all the teams bunched together in groups of 50's and 60's that could drop or go up in a single game...

The Rangers right now are in the 10th spot.

No way should they try to draft a Sutter type. That's all they have drafted for years. They need to take the most explosive offensive player available.

McRanger 02-09-2007 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluenote13 (Post 7986419)
I think the Montoya/Horton talk is all rubbish right now.

I agree, though I wasnt referring to that specifically. If a big move is made, Montoya is likely to be included. This of course depends on which team we trade with (and their depth in net) but I think Montoya is one bargaining chip the team wont be too hesitant to trade.

If he is moved, I hope the team doesnt try to pick up another goalie in the first round. I would much rather have a 2nd or 3rd round pickup, or a few picked late.

Bluenote13 02-09-2007 01:44 PM

I can't see them trading Montoya unless is for an established guy in his 20's.

Monty won't be dealt for someone like Forsberg.

nyr2k2 02-09-2007 01:48 PM

I'm thinking we'll wind up with the 8th pick in the draft. There's nothing scientific to that, it's just a guess. Wherever we pick, I want to take a center. Or a high-scoring forward, if that's the BPA. No goalies or D-men.

McRanger 02-09-2007 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluenote13 (Post 7986611)
I can't see them trading Montoya unless is for an established guy in his 20's.

Monty won't be dealt for someone like Forsberg.

Yikes, no I agree with you on that. I just cant see the Rangers not making a big move in the near future. And by big move I mean someone who is in or nearing their prime, be it Richards before his NTC goes into effect this summer, Horton, a struggling established guy like Nash... I dont know.

I just feel like the Rangers havnt made a splash in a while, and that usually doesnt last.

HockeyBasedNYC 02-09-2007 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McRanger (Post 7987333)
Yikes, no I agree with you on that. I just cant see the Rangers not making a big move in the near future. And by big move I mean someone who is in or nearing their prime, be it Richards before his NTC goes into effect this summer, Horton, a struggling established guy like Nash... I dont know.

I just feel like the Rangers havnt made a splash in a while, and that usually doesnt last.

Nash? dude, i would trade 2 Montoya's for Nash.

Leprechaun 02-09-2007 03:36 PM

I think that it's imperative that this organization aquires a big time offensive prospect, preferably at the center position. We are not bad at the defensive end and, barring a trade that includes montoya, pretty set between the pipes for now. What the rangers sorely lack is prospective offensive talent. As much as i generally follow the best player available rule, i think we should lean toward a center, or at least a forward.

Pizza 02-09-2007 04:06 PM

With the Rangers making deals there are too many potential wild cards right now. I'm waiting to see where things stand when the dealing is done. But it could just boil down to BPA again and that's worked very well the last couple years.

bobbop 02-09-2007 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dank (Post 7984480)
I was checking out McKeens Digest, and checking their top 10 rankings for the 2007 Draft, i see a bunch of Centers.

Good young players all play center. The talent is a lot thinner in junior and the best players always get put into the middle. The real trick for the scouts is to find a center who really is a center. That is best left to the professionals which is why I always rely on BPA.

DarthSather99 02-09-2007 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n8 (Post 7986147)
With our first pick - best player available.

that's been the key to our draft the last couple of years. We've gotten some pretty good players.

The Amity Affliction 02-09-2007 07:43 PM

I agree that most of the time, BPA is the best way to go.

If we can get a center that's a future #1 at our position, I do it.

Otherwise, I go with BPA.

The Amity Affliction 02-09-2007 08:47 PM

The Rangers aren't exactly deep with talent on the wings either.

If they can't get the future top-line center, get a future top-line winger.

Defense is pretty much set, although a lot of good defensemen is a good thing.

A goaltender behind Montoya would be nice as well.

gaglinefan 02-10-2007 07:04 AM

Attention Don and Glen
 
:dunno:
Quote:

Originally Posted by n8 (Post 7986147)
With our first pick - best player available.

thank you so much. Please stop trying to draft a niche player and take the best athlete you can find... we need athletes and players, not projects or goalies this time around. Lets keep building a team for the future. Note that guys from '04 are producing in the league right now er NHL not minor lol.
cc: Glen Sather, Don Maloney

SaveHextall 02-10-2007 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluenote13 (Post 7986611)
I can't see them trading Montoya unless is for an established guy in his 20's.

Monty won't be dealt for someone like Forsberg.

So you want an established guy for an unestablished guy? I'm not sure too many other GM's would share that view.

I think if you were to deal Montoya for Forsberg, the cost may be a bit more than just AM alone.

jas 02-10-2007 07:31 AM

Love Turris and Sutter.

DarthSather99 02-10-2007 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GretzNYR99 (Post 7991841)
The Rangers aren't exactly deep with talent on the wings either.

If they can't get the future top-line center, get a future top-line winger.

Defense is pretty much set, although a lot of good defensemen is a good thing.

A goaltender behind Montoya would be nice as well.

Even if a top D man drops we HAVE to take him. You can always trade players. Better to have one that you know will be in the NHL at a position of strength than a player that might make it at a position that you are weak.

A guy like Petricki is the type of defenseman we don't have. A crease clearer.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:35 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.