HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Biron on the block *proposals* (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=34277)

LALALALALALAFONTAINE 12-08-2003 07:00 AM

Biron on the block

The Sabres just called up Ryan Miller, who has been spectacular in Rochester. The problem with Miller is that bonuses may kick in after a certain period, and the Sabres are already close to being over budget.

With Noronen, the Sabres have a goaltender who makes $550K.

With Biron, the Sabres have a goaltender who makes $2.2M. Noronen has also outplayed Biron.

Biron may be on his way out.

Make your proposals for Biron. The Sabres need a physical right defenseman and would likely include a LD for the right guy, as long as that LD is McKee or Campbell. If the LD is Tallinder, Kalinin or Zhitnik, you should expect to overpay. Delmore could almost certainly be had as well.

Takeo 12-08-2003 07:23 AM

And don't forget about Miro in a packaged deal! ;) :rolly:

punchy1 12-08-2003 08:04 AM

Used to have a little now he has allot, no matter...sorry all, bloody stupid song is all over the damn radio here.

txpd 12-08-2003 08:07 AM

the goaltender market is pretty gluted at present. $2.2m is a lot to pay for a goalie with no playoff experience that has played his way out of his job. I don't see a deal here.

Rattrick 12-08-2003 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txpd
the goaltender market is pretty gluted at present. $2.2m is a lot to pay for a goalie with no playoff experience that has played his way out of his job. I don't see a deal here.

I wouldn't expect much considering there is a comparable product out there. Boucher makes 2 million a year and is pretty much equivalent to Biron.

Ruckus007 12-08-2003 09:24 AM

Chicago might be a destination, I don't know how much longer Thibault is going to be out.

I'm guessing Biron for Babchuk would be shot down pretty quickly.

WhoIsJimBob 12-08-2003 09:42 AM

Why would Chicago deal for Biron?

That may hurt their chances at landing Ovechkin.

Ruckus007 12-08-2003 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Bob

Well honestly, why would anyone deal for Biron. :dunno:

WhoIsJimBob 12-08-2003 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruckus007
Well honestly, why would anyone deal for Biron. :dunno:

I think Biron will be as hard, or possibly even harder, to move than Boucher.

And seeing that Boucher went unclaimed in the waiver draft, and the fact that the Yotes have been unable to trade him so far this season, I'm not getting my hopes up that Regier will be able to move Biron.

Guest 12-08-2003 10:13 AM

The Coyotes were definitely willing to lose Boucher for his contract, but I think now the market has more than dried up and if we are able to deal a goalie, it will be Burke that is moved.

Biron, as said in multiplicity by now, will be hard to move because there is just no market. Seeing the number of clubs still with 3 NHL calibre goalies on their roster, or near it in Cujo's case, there just isn't anyone who needs a goalie. PIT, PHI, and SJ were probably brilliant to get 2nd Rounders for Hedberg, Cechmanek, and Kiprussoff despite how valuable those tenders may have been.

serum114 12-08-2003 10:16 AM

I agree that at 2.2 mil and the way he's been playing, Biron will be tough to move, however, if the Oilers can find a team willing to take Salo for a 3rd rounder (or so), a deal of Biron and McKee for Comrie could possibly work.

We need another solid top 4/5 D man (as Brewer's injury has woefully exposed our back end) and KLowe, IMO, would rather have a streaky 2.2 million dollar goalie than a streaky 3.5 million dollar goalie...

btmarshall 12-08-2003 10:27 AM

No one wants to take on Salo either. The goalie market is glutted with average to good goalies making bank, unfortunately.

A great goalie, or a strong young goalie with a small salary might have trade value. Biron, Salo both may be tough to deal.

One wonders whether the Sabres will be forced to trade Noronen, for whom there would definitely be interest?

Asiaoil 12-08-2003 10:33 AM

The oil may be interested but not until the trade deadline because that's the earliest we will be able to dump Salo (his contract has team options the next 2 years so there is very little financial risk for the team aquiring him). Biron could go to the Avs - but the market for goalies is very very soft. If I were the Sabres I'd try to deal him ASAP because there will be lots of goalies available for peanuts come March. Don't expect much in return though.

How many years does Biron have left on his contract and what are the dollars?

Ruckus007 12-08-2003 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asiaoil
The oil may be interested but not until the trade deadline because that's the earliest we will be able to dump Salo (his contract has team options the next 2 years so there is very little financial risk for the team aquiring him). Biron could go to the Avs - but the market for goalies is very very soft. If I were the Sabres I'd try to deal him ASAP because there will be lots of goalies available for peanuts come March. Don't expect much in return though.

How many years does Biron have left on his contract and what are the dollars?

He's RFA after this season.

Asiaoil 12-08-2003 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruckus007
He's RFA after this season.

Yeah at the deadline we may be interested if the Oilers can dump what's left of Salo's contract for peanuts. No sooner though.

WhoIsJimBob 12-08-2003 11:04 AM

Quote:

Yeah at the deadline we may be interested if the Oilers can dump what's left of Salo's contract for peanuts. No sooner though.

So I guess that rules the Oilers out.;)

JoeKlein 12-08-2003 12:31 PM

Quote:

The oil may be interested but not until the trade deadline because that's the earliest we will be able to dump Salo (his contract has team options the next 2 years so there is very little financial risk for the team aquiring him). Biron could go to the Avs -

Why would Colorado be interested in Biron?

AvsGuy 12-08-2003 01:10 PM

TO NYI:

Martin Biron, Miroslav Satan, 3rd rounder in 2004

TO BUFFALO:

Mark Parrish, Roman Hamrlik

BrianBurke 12-08-2003 01:28 PM

It's too bad the goalie market is so bad because Biron isn't a bad goalie. A lot of guys would struggle if they had to go to work every day with teh threat of two rookies moving in on their turf.
Everyone knew sooner or later Biron was going to be the odd man out.

As for possible destinations...
Definitely Chicago
Maybe Phoenix? With Burke leaving, wouldn't Biron be better than Boucher/Bierk?
Carolina? I don't know what Canes fans think of Weekes.
Calgary? The salary is prohibitive, but he's better than Turkek and probably better than Kiprusoff.

Problem is most teams seem to be okay in goal, and a goalie with no playoff experience doesn't have much selling power.

Malefic74 12-08-2003 02:38 PM

I have a funny feeling that the Hawks are mailing it in for the rest of the season, with Wirtz as the owner I just don't see them taking on that contract or any contract over $1 million.

Your other suggestions sound just about right, but how about Dallas? I read the other day that mangement were basically calling out Turco and if things are that bad...

Colorado is still in the mix for a goalie late in the season, but I doubt it will be Biron they are after. It has become somewhat apparent that Sauve needs a little more time before he's ready.

It's just a bad time to be a B-level tender on the market because everyone is waiting for the A-listers, or former A-listers like Burke and Nabokov. Most teams might be looking for depth or a trustworthy back-up but not at the salaries that Biron, Salo and Boucher are making.

Trottier 12-08-2003 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Bob

Because the objective is to win games, not win the lottery. Even for losing teams. :shakehead

pavel13 12-08-2003 02:42 PM

I think Martin Biron is exactly what Detroit needs right now ;) (Note the wink for sarcasm purposes).

But the question remains, "how many first-round picks will Holland give up for him?"

Atma 12-08-2003 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pavel13
I think Martin Biron is exactly what Detroit needs right now ;) (Note the wink for sarcasm purposes).

But the question remains, "how many first-round picks will Holland give up for him?"

5!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yo:

Biron will have to go in a package deal. I don't think Buffalo is ready to give up on Satan yet, so I'm willing to say Biron/Dman or Center/X pick for X player(s).

We're log jammed at center. Unfortunately with Connolly injured that leaves a glut of Centers like Mair, Taylor, Brown. Unfortunately the value of Mair and Brown to Buffalo is too high IMO, so you'd probably get stuck with Biron/Taylor or Boulton/2nd rounder or lower. Briere/Drury/Mair/Brown/Connolly (only because of him being on the IR) are largely untouchable IMO, and Derek Roy is in the pipes.

We need RD like LALA said, or a good 3rd line grinder who can chip in 20 goals.

TehDoak 12-08-2003 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AvsGuy
TO NYI:

TO BUFFALO:

Where do i sign??? Done and Done

IslesFan17 12-08-2003 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AvsGuy
TO NYI:

TO BUFFALO:

I'd think the isles would accept that deal.

They get a goalie that can compete with DP for playing time and the scorer that Yashin needs on his line.