HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Scott Young on the market (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=34336)

Mooch 12-08-2003 09:27 AM

Scott Young on the market

Hey guys,

there has been a lot of rumors going around lately that the habs have been talking with dallas. Wel today i read on fourth period that Young is on the block and that dallas is willing to pick up some sallary. Do you guys think that that habs are going after him.

I personally wouldnt mind if he could be had for about 2 mil, and be gottten for a few late picks. I know hes 36 years old, but hes a big right winger that still can put up more offence than any of our wingers that we have (on the right wing that is). He would look great on the second line with ribs and bulis/zednik. I think it would be worth a shot as long as we dont give up any top prospects!

Plus he is still excellent on the Pk.

Wata ya guys think!

Darz 12-08-2003 09:31 AM

Not that I would be opposed to BG getting him if it cost only a couple late picks, but I really don't think he would fit into the plans unless we moved a couple of vets out.

VAN-HAB 12-08-2003 09:31 AM

Scott Young

Stars shopping Young
According to the Ottawa Sun, the Dallas Stars feel winger Scott Young might need a change of scenery and they’ve been shopping him around.
It’s believed Dallas might even be willing to pick up part of his $3.4 million salary. Would he be a good fit in Motreal?

Mooch 12-08-2003 09:34 AM

LOL! i just posted this topic 2 minutes ago, before you!

Dragon 12-08-2003 09:38 AM

1) We have to find spot for our own forwards when they return to injury
2) If Dallas is willing to pick up Young's salary they are going to ask for good or valuable player in return. Unless they view our deadwood as valuable return (I highly doubt it), Gainey will simply say no.
3) I don't see what Young brings on table in which the forwards on our roster does.

A deal for Young alone is highly unlikely. Unless it is a package deal in which Young is part of the package.

GhostOfTheForum 12-08-2003 09:40 AM

can't see it.........we are already loaded with veteran players that we are trying to get rid of.......they certainly wouldn't give Young up for anything we needed to get rid of so why bother........

VAN-HAB 12-08-2003 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mooch
LOL! i just posted this topic 2 minutes ago, before you!

YEAH I CAN SEE THAT NOW!!!!
I will try to delete my thread, I'm not sure I know how to do it though.

Thanks

RichardZednik#20 12-08-2003 09:41 AM

And what do we do with Audette?? Yougn would bring pretty much nothing more that Audette is giving us.

Capitano 12-08-2003 10:26 AM

I think Young is a better team player than Audette is but unless we could get him for nothing and pay him nothing I don't think we have the room. Roster-wise or money-wise it just doesn't fit. Now if we were able to dump a couple of vets then I'd welcome Young, but I don't think that's going to happen.

Cap

Freaky Habs Fan 12-08-2003 10:28 AM

I can't see the Habs tradind up with Dallas for Young. We already have to many old fowards. If we trade up with Dallas, it's gonna be for Morrow. He was the favorite player of BG when Bob was in Dallas.

Wildbeliefs 12-08-2003 11:26 AM

The chances of this happening are extremely slim, but how about Young for Audette?

Both players could use the change in scenery, and Audette's brief stint in Dallas got him 12 points in 20 games.

Yeah I know, Audette doesn't have much trade value (if any), but maybe BG is a master thief... :p

smnhppu 12-08-2003 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan
I can't see the Habs tradind up with Dallas for Young. We already have to many old fowards. If we trade up with Dallas, it's gonna be for Morrow.

I disagree with that. Morrow is another smallish player, I think the Habs'll be looking to bulk up. I think Young could do very well playing on Ribs' wing instead of Dagenais.

But the problem is, I doubt they will settle for draft picks. I think Dallas will want players that will have immediate impact, more precisely on defense. And I doubt even they're desperate enough to go for Rivet. Souray on the other hand...

Marchy79 12-08-2003 11:36 AM

Scott Young is definately not what is in Montreal's needs.

The guy has 2 G 2A in 20 games, He is less dangerous than Juneau Dackell or Audette. Unless there is veritable proof that something in the drinking water in Dallas hinders players games, this guy is a total non-fit for this organization.

Furthermore, Getting Young would mean that one of Ryder or Zednik would have to move to a different line/position. Right now, we are doing allright, we are on an unbeaten streak, and as it stands now, there are more pressing needs than trying to revive a 36 year old's career that to be frank, hasn't performed up to par since he left St. Louis. He is not even performing even though he has Turgeon (his centerman in St Louis) on his team.

Dallas, is struggling due to the commitments they made with cash to aging players... They should be thankful we took Audi off their hands and call it a day. We have a player who bloats our pay scale because of them... So unless it is a decent player added, this guy is a mute point. A team that lacks veteran presence may need him, but as it stands right now, he simply does not give us what we need (goal scoring)... Because it is becoming more evident, his is certainly on a deep decline.

SuperUnknown 12-08-2003 12:10 PM

We need real youth, not someone named "Young". :p

On a more serious not, I think he's done in the NHL. Actually, I think he was done one or two years ago. This would be McKay all over, except that Young isn't as physical as McKay. :joker:

CHareth 12-08-2003 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mooch
Hey guys,

there has been a lot of rumors going around lately that the habs have been talking with dallas. Wel today i read on fourth period that Young is on the block and that dallas is willing to pick up some sallary. Do you guys think that that habs are going after him.

I personally wouldnt mind if he could be had for about 2 mil, and be gottten for a few late picks. I know hes 36 years old, but hes a big right winger that still can put up more offence than any of our wingers that we have (on the right wing that is). He would look great on the second line with ribs and bulis/zednik. I think it would be worth a shot as long as we dont give up any top prospects!

Plus he is still excellent on the Pk.

Wata ya guys think!

How many years left on his contract anyway? I think Young needs a change of scenery and can still contribute, but I just can't see him fitting into this team at this point. What's the point of gettting him unless we can move Audette and/or Perreault? Unless we can rid ourselves of those clowns, then I wouldn't mind although I would not be too excited either. I certainly would not get him for any picks, even mid-to-late picks, since we would only be adding to a roster that is already bloated with vets that fans love to hate.

hockey_nut 12-08-2003 05:26 PM

forget young... bring in morrow

Habs4ever 12-09-2003 04:02 AM

Why would we add moree deadwood when

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockey_nut
forget young... bring in morrow

we already have enough to deal with, I say get rid of as many as you can, bringing more crappy players just adds salt to the misery.