HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Are The Rangers Less Popular Than They Used To Be? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=343769)

mucker* 02-11-2007 03:46 PM

Are The Rangers Less Popular Than They Used To Be?

I went to see the Rangers last night.
While they had fans in DC, I really was disappointed.

Back in the 90s the Rangers used to invade DC, they would have over half the arena.
In the last several years they have had nowhere close to that amount in DC, and it isn't like the Caps are a hard ticket.

Nobody in DC likes the Caps, they don't draw, they need vigerous promos to get fans in, this isn't an instance of the home team toughing up, frankly as far as the Caps go that will never be the case, if the road teams fans want seats they can always get them even if the ticket, however unlikely, becomes hard.

They just don't bring fans out like they used to, and I can't think of a reason why unless it's due to the lockout, not making the playoffs for 9 years, not winning a round or being a consistent team this year and in past years.

However it's weird I went to both games in Bos last season, which is by far a more passionate sports and hockey town and much harder to invade, and the Rangers had 1/4 and 1/3 of the crowd.

I don't get how more Ranger fans are at games in BOS than in WAS given the distance is similar but DC is full of ex NYers and is not a hockey or sports town.

The only explanation I have is that the Rangers came in Jan and Mar last year not only when the B's were out but the Rangers looked like a contender.
On the other hand the last two season, last year they came to DC earlier during football season and before they caught on as being a good team, and this year in general Ranger road support appears diminshed due to their inconsistent play, and 1 good season out of the last 10, and that included a 4 game sweep.

Bottum line question, why don't we invade DC like we used or did in BOS?
Is it just a matter of the on ice product this year and timing when we had our games in BOS last season?

If we were to be consistent or had been this year you think we would have had a more norm showing in DC and everywhere?

Cherepanov 71 02-11-2007 03:52 PM

If the Rangers were better im sure more people would go to games.

Fletch 02-11-2007 03:57 PM

There's no Leetch...

Messier, Gretzky, Graves, Richter, etc. The only guys in the D.C. area going to see Jagr are those who are going to boo him.

In The Flesh 02-11-2007 04:03 PM

the die hards are still here, the casual ranger fans may have lost interest due to the lockout.

artoor13 02-11-2007 04:18 PM

I go to school in Boston and last year in March you could hear distinctly Potvin Sucks , Lets Go Rangers and M-V-P chants when Jagr did something noteworthy.

It was so much fun, we won that game in OT and on the way out a crazy Rangers fan ran around with a sign and we were all screaming M-V-P in the hall, staircases, outside and the T station. It was just an invasion by Blueshirts. Priceless. :yo:

Diehardfan419 02-11-2007 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mucker (Post 8015733)

Back in the 90s the Rangers used to invade DC, they would have over half the arena.
In the last several years they have had nowhere close to that amount in DC, and it isn't like the Caps are a hard ticket.

Nobody in DC likes the Caps, they don't draw, they need vigerous promos to get fans in, this isn't an instance of the home team toughing up, frankly as far as the Caps go that will never be the case, if the road teams fans want seats they can always get them even if the ticket, however unlikely, becomes hard.

They just don't bring fans out like they used to, and I can't think of a reason why unless it's due to the lockout, not making the playoffs for 9 years, not winning a round or being a consistent team this year and in past years.

However it's weird I went to both games in Bos last season, which is by far a more passionate sports and hockey town and much harder to invade, and the Rangers had 1/4 and 1/3 of the crowd.

I don't get how more Ranger fans are at games in BOS than in WAS given the distance is similar but DC is full of ex NYers and is not a hockey or sports town.

The only explanation I have is that the Rangers came in Jan and Mar last year not only when the B's were out but the Rangers looked like a contender.
On the other hand the last two season, last year they came to DC earlier during football season and before they caught on as being a good team, and this year in general Ranger road support appears diminshed due to their inconsistent play, and 1 good season out of the last 10, and that included a 4 game sweep.

Bottum line question, why don't we invade DC like we used or did in BOS?
Is it just a matter of the on ice product this year and timing when we had our games in BOS last season?

If we were to be consistent or had been this year you think we would have had a more norm showing in DC and everywhere?

Thats strange, cause I was at the game in DC earlier in the season and it 40% Rangers fans. Maybe you just caught an off night.

WheresBarnaby 02-11-2007 04:28 PM

People are losing interest in the NHL in general.

I was at the last Rangers/Caps game at the Verizon center and it was half Rangers fans easy. :dunno: Wish I was at last nights instead.

WheresBarnaby 02-11-2007 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diehardfan419 (Post 8016445)
Thats strange, cause I was at the game in DC earlier in the season and it 40% Rangers fans. Maybe you just caught an off night.

Ok maybe 40-50% lol

JackNY07 02-11-2007 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by artoor13 (Post 8016283)
I go to school in Boston and last year in March you could hear distinctly Potvin Sucks , Lets Go Rangers and M-V-P chants when Jagr did something noteworthy.

It was so much fun, we won that game in OT and on the way out a crazy Rangers fan ran around with a sign and we were all screaming M-V-P in the hall, staircases, outside and the T station. It was just an invasion by Blueshirts. Priceless. :yo:

I went to that game it was nuts. They mentioned the Rangers chants on the local news. I goto Northeastern.

ATLANTARANGER* 02-11-2007 07:13 PM

Certainly, can't you see how big both the Isle & Devil fan base has grown. It was reported last week that a whopping 736 fans were tuned into the devils game on tv.
They are still tallying up the isles, rumor has it that it may hit 1,000.

I think a better question is whether the last 7-8 years have tempered the NYR fan base and I think the answer is yes. I think most are waiting to see players like Staal, Dubinski, etc make the squad. I think many are tired of the unbred UFAs populating the squad. Once more home grown talent makes the squad I think you will see more fans.

Plato 02-11-2007 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 (Post 8016050)
the die hards are still here, the casual ranger fans may have lost interest due to the lockout.

screw the casuals!

Onion Boy 02-11-2007 07:22 PM

I was there last night and at the game back in November. There were definitely more Ranger fans at the game in November (40-50%).

Last I'd say maybe 20% and that's probably pushing it. I could hear some faint Ranger chants several sections away, but I think I was the only Ranger fan in my whole section.

There were lots of Ranger fans at warmups though. I got there real early to stake out a spot near the tunnel where the Rangers come out. I got glove taps from pretty much everyone on the team and Nylander gave my Dad a puck because he was wearing a Team Sweden jersey. A perfect night overall.

P.S. I went to the Caps practice facility in Virginia that morning and saw Pascal Dupuis warming up with Coach Pelino. Can't really evaluate him that much off an individual warmup, but he sure looked happy to be wearing a Ranger sweater.

HVPOLARBEARS19 02-11-2007 07:37 PM

Quote:

Was that the game when Nylander won it and then said ***** in an interview with Pierre McGuire right after the game? Ha man that was hillarious.

Lundqvist=Vezina 02-11-2007 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diehardfan419 (Post 8016445)

I was at that game too, and yeah there were a lot of Rangers fans.

The orignal poster also started the thread about Toronto fans "invading" the Garden so maybe he is seriously worried about the Rangers losing popularity?:dunno:

darrenturcotte#8 02-11-2007 09:48 PM

Quote:

I was there last night as well. Saw a lot of jerseys but not a whole lot of noise. I tried to get a few lets go Rangers chants going and minus a couple of pockets nobody was into it. Not even after we went up 4-2. Very disappointing. There were louder Rangers fans vs the Coyotes and this was just a train ride away.

rickyrod 02-11-2007 10:39 PM

Quote:

I go to school in Boston and last year in March you could hear distinctly Potvin Sucks ,

Potvin Sucks came though a few times on the broadcast last night. Not terribly strong, though.

Brooklyn Ranger 02-12-2007 12:35 AM

Quote:

Gee, fans are so fickle.:eek:

JRGNYR 02-12-2007 09:30 AM

Bottom line, hockey just isn't cool like it was 10-15 years ago. You still have the hardcores, but the popularity spike of the 90s is long gone.

Dash2110 02-12-2007 02:24 PM

I think it can be attributed more to a loss of interest in hockey in general as opposed to just the Rangers. I live in the DC area as well and was at the game back in November. It felt like about half of the arena was Ranger fans, which in my book is pretty good to me. I didn't go to the last game but from what I heard on TV is was not nearly as much but still a decent showing. An overwhelming majority of Ranger fans there were most likely transplanted New Yorkers like myself, you can forget about a significant amount die-hards taking a road trip down, it's just not gonna happen in an 82 game season.

You are right though about the demand down here (or lack thereof), they practically give away tickets to every game. I'd like to think it's because hockey fans down here are mostly either casual or just too ignorant about the game to become interested enough in it.

Edge 02-12-2007 03:02 PM

Are the Rangers less popular? Yes, but so is the entire NHL.

The Rangers have been hurt by a decade of disaster, make no mistake that'll hurt any team.

The NHL as a whole is just not getting people's attentions. It's become a niche sport more than ever and the problem it runs into is that it seems have managed to alienate both potential new fans and old fans alike.

Bluenote13 02-12-2007 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edge (Post 8029825)
Are the Rangers less popular? Yes, but so is the entire NHL.

The Rangers have been hurt by a decade of disaster, make no mistake that'll hurt any team.

The NHL as a whole is just not getting people's attentions. It's become a niche sport more than ever and the problem it runs into is that it seems have managed to alienate both potential new fans and old fans alike.

Question: Does this current state of the league remind you of any other time in the NHL's history?

RFAN 02-12-2007 04:00 PM

The Rangers

are no where near as popular as they used to be. As some have said they sucked up until recently, the lockout and no nation TV that anyone can find. Also to me the pussification of Hockey by Betman hasn't helped.

Edge 02-12-2007 04:06 PM

I can only comment on the 80's onward obviously, but I think there is serious work that needs to be done.

Scoring is up but not up to the exciting levels it was 20 years ago and the cost ( a lot of physical play, fighting, etc.) has really left a game that feels kind of soul-less.

The problem isn't that the average fan can't see the puck (can anyone really see a baseball being thrown 95 mph?), the problem is that people don't care about hockey.

The emotion is really lacking, their not exposed to it and at the end of the day it feels like it has holes in it.

At the end of the day a big part of marketing is knowing your audience and knowing your potential audience and the NHL hasn't sold the game to them. They've made changes that THEY want and not what their audience wants and in their efforts to try and hard sell people on the sport, they've replaced a lot of the elements that drew people in.

To market something is to understand it's history and you frankly have a lot of people who neither know or respect the sports history. Look at our society, we are a people who like physical, rough, passionate contests combined with skill. Hockey had that once, it doesn't any longer.

It's many factors that contribute, but at the end of the day hockey has become more concerned about protecting it's "leaders" than actually asking whether or not those people were leading the NHL in the right direction.

13 years ago hockey was the sport everyone wanted to climb on board with, THAT was the moment to capitalize on. Today it's a sport that can't even generate more buzz than professional poker or fishing.

mucker* 02-13-2007 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackNY07 (Post 8017023)
I went to that game it was nuts. They mentioned the Rangers chants on the local news. I goto Northeastern.

Whoa I was at that game too.
I also go to NEU.
We easily dominated BOS, we had LGR and Potvin suck chants going.

I used to go to games all the time in DC, and so I figuered, if the Rangers normally get 1/2 of DC and invade BOS, they likely then will invade DC in Feb.

Only to go and see it was 15-20% us tops.
I don't get it.

mucker* 02-13-2007 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WheresBarnaby (Post 8016461)
People are losing interest in the NHL in general.

I was at the last Rangers/Caps game at the Verizon center and it was half Rangers fans easy. :dunno: Wish I was at last nights instead.

You sure we had about half of DC back in Nov?
I wonder why in Feb we had so much less a share of the crowd, I mean this is Caps fans were talking.
Not exactly a hard ticket.
They had 2 promos going, free hats and Caps on tap, but come on that couldn't keep out NYR fans, or could it and the inconsistent season mean this was just an off night?