HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Timonen (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=344952)

bjac 02-14-2007 02:52 AM

Timonen

Hey Pred fans.

I have a question about Timonen and him being an UFA this summer. In your opinions, will Nashville resign him? Or will another team grab him? I don't know what their cap situation is like, or if they have alot of other UFAs to sign. It seems that he will be one of the best defensemen available. What size of contract will he be looking for? Anyway, thanks.

predperson 02-14-2007 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjac (Post 8053841)
Hey Pred fans.

I have a question about Timonen and him being an UFA this summer. In your opinions, will Nashville resign him? Or will another team grab him? I don't know what their cap situation is like, or if they have alot of other UFAs to sign. It seems that he will be one of the best defensemen available. What size of contract will he be looking for? Anyway, thanks.

According to Pred303 per David Legwand he wants
Quote:

"he wants two or three years at 5 mil"

handtrick 02-14-2007 06:52 AM

I think he will be signed.....but Kariya is 1st priority.

Enoch 02-14-2007 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handtrick (Post 8054329)
I think he will be signed.....but Kariya is 1st priority.

Do you think we will give him 4.5+ million though? If so, I truly feel it is a mistake.

handtrick 02-14-2007 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enoch (Post 8055324)
Do you think we will give him 4.5+ million though? If so, I truly feel it is a mistake.

Probably close too it.....if you consider what the salaries of comparible dmen out there, it is probably not as unreasonable as you would first think.
The number caught me off guard, a bit at first....but thinking about it more....I am not quite as shocked.
When push comes to shove, I think he will have to end up taking a small hometwon discount to stay in Nashville compared to what he might garner on the market.

Enoch 02-14-2007 12:19 PM

If you look at Timonen from a statistical stand point, you can see why the salary is high, but if you watch his defensive game on the ice.....you can not see why anyone would give him anywhere near 5 million. Kimmo is a great guy, and I love him on this team. That said, I would much rather walk away from 5 million a year. He just doesn't have the defensive prowess to warrant the salary, and he hasn't been the gamebreaker he was on the PP since pre-lockout. Am I alone in this thought? Final comment, I think it is a stretch to say that Kimmo will age well......this could be the deal that backfires majorly, especially if he is given so much.

Joe T Choker 02-14-2007 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enoch (Post 8057946)
If you look at Timonen from a statistical stand point, you can see why the salary is high, but if you watch his defensive game on the ice.....you can not see why anyone would give him anywhere near 5 million. Kimmo is a great guy, and I love him on this team. That said, I would much rather walk away from 5 million a year. He just doesn't have the defensive prowess to warrant the salary, and he hasn't been the gamebreaker he was on the PP since pre-lockout. Am I alone in this thought? Final comment, I think it is a stretch to say that Kimmo will age well......this could be the deal that backfires majorly, especially if he is given so much.

No you're not alone ... I agree with you as well as NMK & Smokey

barrytrotzsneck 02-14-2007 01:04 PM

Captain or not, I don't think Timonen is worth over 5 million dollars, or even AT 5 million. His offensive game has fallen off a bit, his defensive game has fallen off a lot...I'd rather re-invest that money in Kariya and Hartnell and sign a FA d-man...Sami Salo perhaps.

handtrick 02-14-2007 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomorekids (Post 8058635)
Captain or not, I don't think Timonen is worth over 5 million dollars, or even AT 5 million. His offensive game has fallen off a bit, his defensive game has fallen off a lot...I'd rather re-invest that money in Kariya and Hartnell and sign a FA d-man...Sami Salo perhaps.

I don't think most on this board credit Timonen as much as what others closer to the situation do.

barrytrotzsneck 02-14-2007 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handtrick (Post 8059565)
I don't think most on this board credit Timonen as much as what others closer to the situation do.

i appreciate his intangibles and what he brings, don't get me wrong...but intangibles alone don't make you worth that kind of money. 5 million to me is what you pay someone in the top 10 at any given position...and I don't think Timonen is a top 10 defenseman. I appreciate your connections and what you've heard...and I don't doubt that they may feel one way or another, but I don't agree with it...especially if it handcuffs us in keeping others around or keeps us out of what could be a good free agent defenseman market.

handtrick 02-14-2007 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomorekids (Post 8059655)
i appreciate his intangibles and what he brings, don't get me wrong...but intangibles alone don't make you worth that kind of money. 5 million to me is what you pay someone in the top 10 at any given position...and I don't think Timonen is a top 10 defenseman. I appreciate your connections and what you've heard...and I don't doubt that they may feel one way or another, but I don't agree with it...especially if it handcuffs us in keeping others around or keeps us out of what could be a good free agent defenseman market.

Oh I don't think you need to agree with it at all....and nobody said that Poile would actually pay the full $5mill....I just think some people are gonna be surprised at the amount he actually does indeed sign for.

Enoch 02-14-2007 02:30 PM

I think his contract will mirror Zidlicky....with a tad bit more per year. In other words, I expect him to get 4 million....but going more than that is really pushing his value.

ChuckyToGally 02-15-2007 01:39 PM

If you don't plan to resign him, would you guys consider to trade for Andrei Markov by the deadline. He seems to be the kind of d-man you're searching for.

What would you give?

Joe T Choker 02-15-2007 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezhogin_19 (Post 8074266)
If you don't plan to resign him, would you guys consider to trade for Andrei Markov by the deadline. He seems to be the kind of d-man you're searching for.

What would you give?

we don't need defensemen ... :biglaugh:

ChuckyToGally 02-15-2007 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe T Choker (Post 8074286)
we don't need defensemen ... :biglaugh:

Yeah, right...

Markov would only be your best d-man. Sure, you don't need d-man.

barrytrotzsneck 02-15-2007 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezhogin_19 (Post 8075625)
Yeah, right...

Markov would only be your best d-man. Sure, you don't need d-man.

Yeah, outside Shea Weber, Kimmo Timonen, and maybe even Dan Hamhuis.

ChuckyToGally 02-15-2007 05:09 PM

Come on here...

Markov is a better overall d-man than Timonen. Hamhuis is great and still young but he is not at the same level of Markov right now.

Markov would be a top pairing d-man in Nashville.

You don't want him, fine. BUT, let's stay realistic here.

Thanks a lot.

barrytrotzsneck 02-15-2007 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezhogin_19 (Post 8077501)
Come on here...

Markov is a better overall d-man than Timonen. Hamhuis is great and still young but he is not at the same level of Markov right now.

Markov would be a top pairing d-man in Nashville.

You don't want him, fine. BUT, let's stay realistic here.

Thanks a lot.

Why should we? you're proposing we trade a STUD d-man in Hamhuis that's still young and cheap and decently far away from being UFA...for a rental of Markov? Just because he might be a slight upgrade?

anguscertified 02-15-2007 05:21 PM

There is no way Markov is better than Timonen this season.

ChuckyToGally 02-15-2007 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomorekids (Post 8077582)
Why should we? you're proposing we trade a STUD d-man in Hamhuis that's still young and cheap and decently far away from being UFA...for a rental of Markov? Just because he might be a slight upgrade?

Actually, you're talking about another thread since I came here in peace to know what you would give.

My question was if you would have interest in Markov. You don't, it's ok. A guy answered me by laughing at me, so I said that Markov would be your best d-man which was exaggerated.

End of the story.

ChuckyToGally 02-15-2007 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HankyFourFingers (Post 8077663)
There is no way Markov is better than Timonen this season.

Yeah, good way to see things...

Timonen is playing with the Preds, Markov with the Habs. Is it enough obvious for you. BTW, Markov was EXCELLENT before the slump. He can't play alone.

Timonen is similar to Souray. A little better in defense but Souray is a lttle better offensively.

Even if Markov has problems since a month or so, there's no way we could compare them. Markov is the better overall d-man period.

Jarnberg 02-15-2007 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezhogin_19 (Post 8077720)
Yeah, good way to see things...

Timonen is playing with the Preds, Markov with the Habs. Is it enough obvious for you. BTW, Markov was EXCELLENT before the slump. He can't play alone.

Timonen is similar to Souray. A little better in defense but Souray is a lttle better offensively.

Even if Markov has problems since a month or so, there's no way we could compare them. Markov is the better overall d-man period.

One problem with your logic, Hanky isn't a Predators fan...

anguscertified 02-15-2007 05:40 PM

true. :sarcasm:

Markov was better last year, but Timonen has surpassed him. That may be due to being on a better team, but there is no way I can fault a player for being on a better team.

Timonen has taken his game to another level since being named captain, and is on pace for 54 points while playing absolutely stellar defensively.

Markov's stats have taken a hit due to being on a bad team, but again I can't credit him because his team is poor. Timonen has simply been better in all aspects.

WeThreeKings 02-15-2007 05:51 PM

I certainly do not want to trade Markov.. however I do want Montreal to sign Timonen.. As we lack puck-moving defencemen with an offensive mind. Timonen and Markov on our blue-line would be very beneficial to the Canadiens.

But, seeing as I'm on the Preds board. I'd like to congratulate your team on a great season thus far. You guys are a great team and I hope you guys have a good run this year.

ChuckyToGally 02-15-2007 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stranger (Post 8077736)
One problem with your logic, Hanky isn't a Predators fan...

One problem with YOUR logic...

Where did I say he was a Preds fan?

:biglaugh:

My point was that Timonen has a way better team to play with. I wasn't saying the guy was biased since Timonen was a Preds. Markov in Nashville would be a dominant d-man IMO.