HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Minnesota Wild (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Why is Dupuis getting such crappy icetime? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=34595)

Calgary_Moe 12-09-2003 08:46 AM

Why is Dupuis getting such crappy icetime?

Some nights he's getting 11-12 minutes and other nights 14-16 minutes. Dupuis could do much better than what he is with better linemates and more time. I mean, seriously, what is going on? Also, is he only on the 2nd PP unit?

Someone please explain this for me.
Thanks,

Moe

CechMY5HOLEman-ek! 12-09-2003 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calgary_Moe
Some nights he's getting 11-12 minutes and other nights 14-16 minutes. Dupuis could do much better than what he is with better linemates and more time. I mean, seriously, what is going on? Also, is he only on the 2nd PP unit?

Someone please explain this for me.
Thanks,

Moe

Who exactly would be considered "better linemates" (although from your statements, and this is not a criticism, I would venture to guess you don't watch many Wild games, and therefore aren't exactly sure who he has been playing with)?

Lemaire changes the lines up a lot and matches players for lines just as much to limit liability as to create offense (he rarely plays a line with no speed, or no defense, or no size, etc.). His lines are typically very much heterogenous. Moreover, players earn their ice time (especially PP and PK time).

Dupuis ice time can be summed up in two things. The use of the line he ends up on (if his line is matched up against another teams top line, and whether it's a home or away game, etc.) and his play.

Dan-o 12-09-2003 11:48 AM

It's impossible to figure out how the Wild give out icetime and PP time. We roll four lines MUCH more religiously than most teams. I've yet to see any forward on the Wild get 20 minutes in a game. And I'm guessing our top forward's ATOI is around 15-16 minutes. Gaborik has typically averaged around 14 minutes for his career, but has seen himself benched for entire 3rd periods this year if Lemaire was unhappy with a shift or two. Lately, Dupuis has not been producing and Lemaire usually makes his guys earn that icetime back rather than giving heaps of time and waiting for the player to break out. That's just life with Lemaire.

As for the PP time, everybody gets a turn. Sometimes you see Gabby on the first unit, sometimes on the second. It all depends on how the guy's been playing. If he's put in 3 really hard shifts, Jacques might give him time on the first unit regardless of whether he's usually a 4th liner.

Calgary_Moe 12-09-2003 04:50 PM

Thanks

No I don't watch many Wild games. I just figured that he is a much better player than his icetime I see on the boxscores would dictate. Thanks to you both for clarifying it somewhat for me.