HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   OT-Nashville Info (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=347161)

SharkGirl27 02-18-2007 08:04 PM

OT-Nashville Info

I'm debating moving to Nashville. I admittedly know nothing about the city, I've never been there, but I'm intrigued by the music scene.

Here are some things about me. I'm 25, born and raised in NY and have lived in Florida and currently Colorado. I've recently learned that I hate snow and subzero temps, but at the same time I hate extreme heat and humidity. I'm a city girl to the core. I hate places that close down at midnight and you can't find a place open to eat after that or a night out. I love music, culture, diversity and sports. I HATE country music, but will listen to just about anything else. I love hockey and hate basketball, I like all other sports. I like to dress up and I love expensive clothes (sounds shallow, but it's the truth). I like anything from upscale lounges to hole in the wall pubs. Though I'm not into the clubs that just blare house music all night. I'm laid back, but I know what I want and what I like. I'm shy until I get to know you, so I need a place where it's easy to meet people.

Based on that brief synopsis of my life, what do you think. You're not gonna offend me or hurt my feelings, just tell me the truth about the city. I've moved a lot, and I'm looking for a home, not just another dot on the map of places I've lived. I'm sick of moving places only to find out it's not what I expected. I do plan on visiting Nashville before I make up my mind, but any info I can get before hand would be great.

Joe T Choker 02-18-2007 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HABSoluteDMB11 (Post 8127471)
I'm debating moving to Nashville. I admittedly know nothing about the city, I've never been there, but I'm intrigued by the music scene.

Here are some things about me. I'm 25, born and raised in NY and have lived in Florida and currently Colorado. I've recently learned that I hate snow and subzero temps, but at the same time I hate extreme heat and humidity. I'm a city girl to the core. I hate places that close down at midnight and you can't find a place open to eat after that or a night out. I love music, culture, diversity and sports. I HATE country music, but will listen to just about anything else. I love hockey and hate basketball, I like all other sports. I like to dress up and I love expensive clothes (sounds shallow, but it's the truth). I like anything from upscale lounges to hole in the wall pubs. Though I'm not into the clubs that just blare house music all night. I'm laid back, but I know what I want and what I like. I'm shy until I get to know you, so I need a place where it's easy to meet people.

Based on that brief synopsis of my life, what do you think. You're not gonna offend me or hurt my feelings, just tell me the truth about the city. I've moved a lot, and I'm looking for a home, not just another dot on the map of places I've lived. I'm sick of moving places only to find out it's not what I expected. I do plan on visiting Nashville before I make up my mind, but any info I can get before hand would be great.

nomorekids ... this is all you!

veronesepk 02-18-2007 08:32 PM

Move there. Now.

I lived in Nashville while in college (I'm your age) and it pretty much fits what you're looking for. Its a great town with a very under-rated under 30 scene. Also, its not very country-ish at all (well, the area around Gaylord is a little "country" - but its a very tourist-ish area). Nashville's a great town - I wish I never had to leave (my wife and I left for grad school), but we're coming back the moment we get our diplomas.

As for places to live - I'd look in the Green Hills area (its a little on the expensive side, but its a nice area with lots of college age/young professionals) or the Belmont area.

barrytrotzsneck 02-18-2007 08:39 PM

Quote:

1. You're the girl version of me

2. Don't believe what you hear about Nashville, avoid stereotypes.

3. I'm going through a considerable amount of trouble to move back(I'm currently in NYC, where I've been hating it for 4 years now) because of the "home" feel of it.

4. Night life is good, high end food\clothing is a cinch with the Green Hills(google Green Hills Mall for more info) and West End in Nashville, and then Cool Springs a little south in the suburb of Franklin.

As something of a city boy myself, I think you'd love it.

SharkGirl27 02-18-2007 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by veronesepk (Post 8127784)
Move there. Now.

I lived in Nashville while in college (I'm your age) and it pretty much fits what you're looking for. Its a great town with a very under-rated under 30 scene. Also, its not very country-ish at all (well, the area around Gaylord is a little "country" - but its a very tourist-ish area). Nashville's a great town - I wish I never had to leave (my wife and I left for grad school), but we're coming back the moment we get our diplomas.

As for places to live - I'd look in the Green Hills area (its a little on the expensive side, but its a nice area with lots of college age/young professionals) or the Belmont area.

Thanks! How is the humidity there? I've heard that during the summer it's pretty bad. Are the two areas you suggested to live in the downtown core? That's pretty much where I want to live. I figure marriage and a family aren't too far off so I wanna live in a city while I can before heading out to the suburbs.

barrytrotzsneck 02-18-2007 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HABSoluteDMB11 (Post 8127884)
Thanks! How is the humidity there? I've heard that during the summer it's pretty bad. Are the two areas you suggested to live in the downtown core? That's pretty much where I want to live. I figure marriage and a family aren't too far off so I wanna live in a city while I can before heading out to the suburbs.

Humidity can be bad from July-August, but it's nothing you don't get used to pretty quickly. It's not as bad as say..Atlanta.

Green Hills is in West Nashville, kind of on the outskirts of the city,but no more than about 5-10 minutes from the heart of downtown, depending on the time of day.

SharkGirl27 02-18-2007 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomorekids (Post 8127913)
Humidity can be bad from July-August, but it's nothing you don't get used to pretty quickly. It's not as bad as say..Atlanta.

Green Hills is in West Nashville, kind of on the outskirts of the city,but no more than about 5-10 minutes from the heart of downtown, depending on the time of day.

Nice, thanks. I lived in NYC for a while and go back 6-7 times a year. It's no where I'd want to live again, but I love visiting. What, if any, would you say are the similarites and differences between the two cities?

vopatsrash 02-18-2007 08:47 PM

You'll find anything you need in terms of clubs and casual bars that aren't country.

If you really want the city aspect, look into the gulch. It has lofts and condos and clubs and restaurants.

you'll find that most people are nice and you'll easily meet people.

You might want to think about humidity/heat. You'll probably be miserable for 3+ months out of the year if it's really an issue. If Jordin Tootoo can handle it, you can. ;)

You don't have to worry about snow/cold. It's bad for maybe a month or two in terms of cold and it rarely snows of any significant amount.

SharkGirl27 02-18-2007 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vopatsrash (Post 8127980)
You'll find anything you need in terms of clubs and casual bars that aren't country.

If you really want the city aspect, look into the gulch. It has lofts and condos and clubs and restaurants.

you'll find that most people are nice and you'll easily meet people.

You might want to think about humidity/heat. You'll probably be miserable for 3+ months out of the year if it's really an issue. If Jordin Tootoo can handle it, you can. ;)

You don't have to worry about snow/cold. It's bad for maybe a month or two in terms of cold and it rarely snows of any significant amount.

When I talk heat/humidity, I'm talking Florida heat and humidity 95 degrees with 70% humidity. After living in Colorado for a couple years and next to no humidity I can't believe how much it bothers me when I go back east. As far as cold goes, I'm talking single digits, sub zero and 2-3 feet of snow on the ground for almost 3 months (basically what it's been in CO since just before Christmas).

barrytrotzsneck 02-18-2007 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HABSoluteDMB11 (Post 8127951)
Nice, thanks. I lived in NYC for a while and go back 6-7 times a year. It's no where I'd want to live again, but I love visiting. What, if any, would you say are the similarites and differences between the two cities?

Well, they're pretty different. Nashville is the kind of city that you feel safe walking downtown at any time of day(for the most part...I wouldn't advice it on Church Street down by the exit to 1-40, Charlotte Ave or Jefferson Street....but those areas are fairly barren and run-down and I'm not sure why you'd be walking around there, ever. Nashville is what I like to think of as a "big, small town." It has everything you would want...no matter what you're into..but still feels comfortable\homey. The people are polite, downtown has a lot to do if you get away from the main drag(the area surrounding the arena is where all the country bars are, and most of the locals don't bother with that stuff, the country bit is mostly a tourist thing). There's a great scene no matter what kind of live music you're into...indie, punk, jam, rock, even rap.

Put it this way...NYC is a great city to visit, but I'd never recommend living there. Conversely...Nashville may be a little lame to visit if you're not into the country thing, but to live...it's top notch.

SharkGirl27 02-18-2007 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomorekids (Post 8128022)
Put it this way...NYC is a great city to visit, but I'd never recommend living there. Conversely...Nashville may be a little lame to visit if you're not into the country thing, but to live...it's top notch.

That's pretty much what I was looking for. I feel like everywhere I've lived has been a tourist trap and that's just not what I want. I want, like you said a big city with a small town feeling.

As far as music goes, I'm really into rock and jam bands. My favorites are Robert Randolph & The Family Band, Dave Matthews, Jimi Hendrix, Pink Floyd, Bob Marley, Bob Dylan...the list goes on and on. But I also like a bit of hip hop, Kanye, Jay-Z, Jim Jones.

Are there many hockey rinks in Nashville? I played in prep school and I'd like to start playing recreationally again. Also, what about skiing/snowboarding, how far is it to the closest mountain?

Basher 02-18-2007 09:04 PM

Downtown Nashville site...

vopatsrash 02-18-2007 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HABSoluteDMB11 (Post 8128011)
When I talk heat/humidity, I'm talking Florida heat and humidity 95 degrees with 70% humidity. After living in Colorado for a couple years and next to no humidity I can't believe how much it bothers me when I go back east. As far as cold goes, I'm talking single digits, sub zero and 2-3 feet of snow on the ground for almost 3 months (basically what it's been in CO since just before Christmas).

I'd say it's pretty consistent heat with most of the south, but maybe not as bad as Florida for as long. Personally I hate it, but I put up with it.

I was just in the Denver airport last week, and I returned to the worst week of winter in Nashville this year. It doesn't remotely compare to what I saw in Denver. It's actually embarrassingly not winterish. Nashville schools closed last Thursday and the less than an inch of snow that caused the closing was melted by 10AM.

Basher 02-18-2007 09:11 PM

I personally think the humidity is pretty rough...but I still plan on moving to Nashville in May once I graduate.

SharkGirl27 02-18-2007 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basher (Post 8128267)
I personally think the humidity is pretty rough...but I still plan on moving to Nashville in May once I graduate.

Is it year round or just in the summer?

golfmade 02-18-2007 09:13 PM

I lived in Ft. Collins for 2 years myself, I can see why you'd want to get out of there ASAP ;)

Joe T Choker 02-18-2007 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HABSoluteDMB11 (Post 8128289)

the summer ... and August is just quite simply the most god awful month

SharkGirl27 02-18-2007 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfmade (Post 8128299)
I lived in Ft. Collins for 2 years myself, I can see why you'd want to get out of there ASAP ;)

I wanted to leave 2 weeks after I got here. I absolutely despise it. I like Denver and I love Aspen, but just don't want to deal with the snow/lack of culture here.

Basher 02-18-2007 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HABSoluteDMB11 (Post 8128289)

Yea, just in summer...like Joe metioned, August is bad. May, June and July are humid enough. As far as cold goes, it rarely dips into the teens and you might see one or two small snows.

Traffic isn't bad, although road construction is constant. But if you are downtown, that isn't too much of a worry.

Like mentioned, the music and sports scene is great. Tons of rock/indie/alt bands come through Nashville, and a lot of musicians live in/around Nashville.

RaiderDoug 02-18-2007 10:55 PM

Quote:

Too bad we cant trade. I too was born in NY and lived in Florida. Nashville beats both.

But I'd bolt Nashville for Colorado in a heartbeat. Nashville is turning into one big subdivision.

That said, there's plenty to do, sports, music (we have much more than just country). Weather sucks, its killer hot in July and August, and we have tornados just about every year in April.

Cost of living is great, you get alot for a little. I was in Denver in October and was shocked at the prices of stuff, real estate, etc.

golfmade 02-18-2007 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaiderDoug (Post 8129665)
Too bad we cant trade.

I'd bolt Nashville for Colorado in a heartbeat.

Nashville is turning into on big subdivision.

And Colorado isn't? Heck just drive from Ft. Collins to Denver and it's becoming more and more like all you see is suburbia.

SharkGirl27 02-18-2007 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfmade (Post 8129722)
And Colorado isn't? Heck just drive from Ft. Collins to Denver and it's becoming more and more like all you see is suburbia.

All you see are farms and open space basically from Westminster to Loveland. It's horrible and smells horrible. Colorado is a lot more farmland than those who haven't lived here would ever think that it is. East of Denver is all wide open plains and not a whole lot of snow. Like I said before, Aspen is great, the rest of the state leaves a lot to be desired.

RaiderDoug 02-18-2007 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfmade (Post 8129722)

I drove the south Denver loop (I-470) in October. It was pretty overdeveloped. However, the mountain vistas make it seem that your not living in the same house your neighbor is, poorly constructed by the lowest bidding subcontractor, on .17 acre of land.

Personally, I'm trying to convince the wife to buy 10 acres in cookeville, moving in a mobile home and knock the wheels off, and build an ice rink out back. Its not working though.

RaiderDoug 02-18-2007 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HABSoluteDMB11 (Post 8129810)
All you see are farms and open space basically from Westminster to Loveland. It's horrible and smells horrible. Colorado is a lot more farmland than those who haven't lived here would ever think that it is. East of Denver is all wide open plains and not a whole lot of snow. Like I said before, Aspen is great, the rest of the state leaves a lot to be desired.

I liked the Colorado Springs area. We also spent time in Estes Park and Denver, and traveled the I-70 corridor to the mountain towns. Or course, this was in October, when temps were about 60.

I've lived all over, and I've always said I'd never leave Tennessee. But after visiting Colorado, that would probably be the only place that could pry me out.

Crazyhorse 02-18-2007 11:50 PM

Come on! Admit it! It's because of Foppa! ;)