HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Time for Huge Speciman (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=347211)

free0717 02-18-2007 10:21 PM

Time for Huge Speciman

Now that Shanny is hurt and out for a while, I would love to see Hugh Jessiman in the Lineup and give him a look next to Straka. He has been tearing up the ECHL and we dont really have another Power Forward Prospect at Hartford. What do you guys think?

bleedrngrblue 02-18-2007 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by free0717 (Post 8129302)
Now that Shanny is hurt and out for a while, I would love to see Hugh Jessiman in the Lineup and give him a look next to Straka. He has been tearing up the ECHL and we dont really have another Power Forward Prospect at Hartford. What do you guys think?

I think there are much more deserving players in Hartford than Jessiman...that's what I think!

NYROrtsFan 02-18-2007 10:24 PM

he's done a nice job with the CHeckers but lets see him play in Hartford and make a difference there first...

Balej20* 02-18-2007 10:29 PM

22 points in 20 games is hardly tearing up that league. He should be doing much more if he's got a real future in the NHL.

No way does he come up over other more deserving players in the AHL.

bleedrngrblue 02-18-2007 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balej20 (Post 8129415)
22 points in 20 games is hardly tearing up that league. He should be doing much more if he's got a real future in the NHL.

For him its a step in the right direction, he's gotta move up and not skip a beat though in Hartford, he can't taper off and dissapear like he has in the past. This guy is supposed to become a POWER forward, he needs to stand out every game at that level!

HVPOLARBEARS19 02-18-2007 10:41 PM

I'm sure people are going to disagree with me here, but this is my take. The guys been a bust everywhere, so what do we do? We give him a shot in the NHL. Tell him it's now or never. Give him a chance until Shanny comes back and see what he can do, some guys suprise in the NHL. If he sucks, then we know he sucks and trade him or dump him and move on to something else and he if suprises, then all of the sudden we have something to work with. He's not doing anyone any good in Hartford and if he doesn't do something soon he's gonna be flipping burgers in Burger King. I realize the likelihood of this actually happening is less than zero, but it's what I think.

nyranger61494 02-18-2007 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HVPOLARBEARS19 (Post 8129522)
I'm sure people are going to disagree with me here, but this is my take. The guys been a bust everywhere, so what do we do? We give him a shot in the NHL. Tell him it's now or never. Give him a chance until Shanny comes back and see what he can do, some guys suprise in the NHL. If he sucks, then we know he sucks and trade him or dump him and move on to something else and he if suprises, then all of the sudden we have something to work with. He's not doing anyone any good in Hartford and if he doesn't do something soon he's gonna be flipping burgers in Burger King. I realize the likelihood of this actually happening is less than zero, but it's what I think.

So he's failed at the lower levels so you give him a shot at the highest level? That's like giving a guy who was demoted from administrative work to the mailroom a CEO title...I don't buy it.

gaels22 02-18-2007 11:05 PM

how are his fighting skills? at 6 6 230, hes one big mofo

Pock* 02-18-2007 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyranger61494 (Post 8129792)
So he's failed at the lower levels so you give him a shot at the highest level? That's like giving a guy who was demoted from administrative work to the mailroom a CEO title...I don't buy it.

What about other sports where you can have a late pick in the draft, and they come out dominating at the highest level? Take Marques Colston or Tom Brady for example in the NFL. Brady was a 6th round pick of 7 possible rounds, but he's won 3 Super Bowls in under 4 years, etc.
You can't tell unless you try, and he shouldn't be denied a shot, but I definitley think that will not happen at all.

nyrmessier011 02-18-2007 11:15 PM

he has been tearing it up in the ECHL

nyranger61494 02-18-2007 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pock (Post 8129918)
What about other sports where you can have a late pick in the draft, and they come out dominating at the highest level? Take Marques Colston or Tom Brady for example in the NFL. Brady was a 6th round pick of 7 possible rounds, but he's won 3 Super Bowls in under 4 years, etc.
You can't tell unless you try, and he shouldn't be denied a shot, but I definitley think that will not happen at all.

I can't believe you just compared Hugh Jessiman to Tom Brady. Those players succeeded at college, the level just below the NFL. Hugh Jessiman was very good but not dominant in college. He failed to be consistent in the AHL, the parallel to college football for the NFL, and his been a point a game player in the ECHL which is like NFL Europe.

dkich96 02-18-2007 11:30 PM

i vote to give him a shot, same idea as we did with Cally... At worst he'll have a confidence boost that might help him...

PanniniClaus 02-18-2007 11:37 PM

Insane. The Rangers sent him down to the ECHL as the biggest of big wakeup calls. Time to be a pro. I can guarantee you they will not be promoting skaters from the ECHL to the NHL.Jessiman needs to show them he is serious about being a pro hockey player. get back to hartford and work hard and see what happens next year.

Pizza 02-18-2007 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balej20 (Post 8129415)

'nuff said.

Sandmachine 02-19-2007 01:31 AM

Though I've barely seen them play, aren't Dane Byers and Brandon Dubinsky supposed to be of a Power Forward mold?

Pogo 02-19-2007 04:21 AM

Quote:

ECHL is a loooong looong way from the big boys league. That being said I'm in an inner battle to say either make him earn anything (old school train of thought) vs **** it! throw him out there and see what he's got (last chance style).
Probably stick to making him earn it. Unless the only thing holding him back is motivation/confidence, a la Hossa. In which case a good situation may help.

eco's bones 02-19-2007 06:07 AM

First off we don't really have to call anyone up. Not sure how long Shanny is going to be out. Jessiman had 1 goal in 23 games in Hartford--what makes anyone think he's going to start scoring goals in the NHL? And if he's not put on a scoring line where are we going to put him? Other than that I don't think it sends a good message to other players who have earned it more. He needs to be successful at the AHL level before we bring him up. If you're looking for someone with size, strength and some grit in the AHL it's the older guy Isbister. He can do anything that Jessiman can do better--which is not to say I would bring him up either.

ATLANTARANGER* 02-19-2007 07:09 AM

Quote:

Nice thought, but not based on any reality. He struggles at the AHL level & you want to leap frog him into the NHL? No. Plus what about all the prospects in Hartford that have busted their hump to get consideration? He has to earn his call to the NHL. Right now I don't know if he gets another contract. He has a long, long way to go. Playing well in Charlotte in step one. Step two is to do what he is doing in Charlotte for Hartford, then he gets back on the radar.

Evilo 02-19-2007 07:16 AM

Some guys play better in the NHL than the minors.
Take Ryan Malone for instance.
He had a very average NCAA career.
He wasn't on the Penguiss radar.
He once sticked in training camp and never looked back. I think he has something like 3 career AHL games.

Try him, what do you have to lose? Maybe if he doesn't stick, it'll motivate him to do more to come back.

gaglinefan 02-19-2007 08:03 AM

HJ

Quote:

Originally Posted by PanniniClaus (Post 8130265)
Insane. The Rangers sent him down to the ECHL as the biggest of big wakeup calls. Time to be a pro. I can guarantee you they will not be promoting skaters from the ECHL to the NHL.Jessiman needs to show them he is serious about being a pro hockey player. get back to hartford and work hard and see what happens next year.

I agree. There is not much HJ could do here besides ruin his confidence (?) and not do much in a few minutes per game. Our guy Marcel Hossa struggled to find his game and look, he is Producing. I am not totally suprised, more like really happy about it. We could have a front line guy here who was routinely trashed by fans including me. Let HJ work it out in Hartford and then whatever, I say trade bait; give me Mike Knuble anyday.

HockeyBasedNYC 02-19-2007 08:06 AM

Uh... lets see him "tear up" the AHL first. Then maybe he deserves a look.

Callahan would be my first choice. Hes earned it.

And you bring him up and what if he does well? You keep him on the team? you know Renney isnt gonna have Hossa patience with Hugh.
What if he does bad? Then youve just assured the NHL that he is a crap commodity.

Theres a reason why hes in the ECHL guys. Being in the ECHL for 20 games isnt just a "wake up call".

Kinda funny how everyone yells and screams about Prucha being mis-managed, and now he finally gets his shot to get some top line minutes in Shannys place, and now Jessiman is the answer? Jessiman!? Pruchas played well, lets keep him there.
This is not the time for the Rangers to get creative.

chosen 02-19-2007 08:32 AM

I saw a kid playing roller hockey the other day and he looked ok. Let's put him on the Rangers #1 line and see how it works out.

Larry Melnyk 02-19-2007 08:53 AM

The Rangers won't even think of Jessiman for a nano-second..He's so far offthe nHL radar it isn't even funny...

But, I'm glad he's doing well in the ECHL. gaining confidence..Hopefully he gets a late season chance for the Wolf Pack and really see if he has improved...Hoping is better then giving up...

As for a Ranger recall, the only guy I can see right now when the POs are still a possibility and only a 4th line spot open is ISBISTER again...Don't get me wrong, CALLAHAN deserves it, but it would be a waste for 5-7 minutes with Betts and Holly

SingnBluesOnBroadway 02-19-2007 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk (Post 8132626)
The Rangers won't even think of Jessiman for a nano-second..He's so far offthe nHL radar it isn't even funny...

But, I'm glad he's doing well in the ECHL. gaining confidence..Hopefully he gets a late season chance for the Wolf Pack and really see if he has improved...Hoping is better then giving up...

As for a Ranger recall, the only guy I can see right now when the POs are still a possibility and only a 4th line spot open is ISBISTER again...Don't get me wrong, CALLAHAN deserves it, but it would be a waste for 5-7 minutes with Betts and Holly

Completely agree. If Jessiman wasn't a first round pick, nobody would even consider bringing him up.

Prucha25Graves988* 02-19-2007 10:20 AM

Quote:

while his isnt tearing up the ECHL with avg just about a point a game and for the pick he was sould be avg atleast 2 1/2points per, then atleasy avg'ing a point per in the A. But why not just give the kid a shot, for a season, you never know, just throw him in and it could all just come together, i just have a feeling with hi m at times. I must agree its like a waste of a pick, not to do anything with him atleast try it.