HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Minnesota Wild (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Wanvig (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=34757)

Thrasherfan 12-09-2003 07:05 PM

Wanvig

Any news on this kid? I thought he was coming around last year and was bound for at least 4th line duty this year.

aylib 12-09-2003 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrasherfan
Any news on this kid? I thought he was coming around last year and was bound for at least 4th line duty this year.

It appears he got bypassed by Matt Foy on the depth chart.

CechMY5HOLEman-ek! 12-11-2003 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrasherfan

Last year Wanvig had little competition to become a size and strength player for the Wild. Lemaire only had Johnson and Stevenson to throw out there, and was more or less forced to put a guy like Jason Marshall at forward to make up for it (even on the PP).

Before this year they brought in Chouinard, Brandner, and had youngens Foy and Burns in training camp. As you can see Wanvig's competition for his type of role was quite crowded.

All 4 of those players had better camps than Wanvig.

Now one can add Weimer to the list (although they can subtract Marshall and Stevenson) and Wanvig's road to the NHL with the Wild looks mightly cloudy now IMO. Foy and Burns have better upside IMO and Weimer, Chouinard, Brandner, and Johnson are all 3rd or 4th line material.

IMO a lot will have to give for Wanvig to be the next forward call-up, and probably even more in order for him to be able to stick.

thestonedkoala 12-11-2003 06:54 AM

Wanvig has something that Foy doesn't have and that's experience. He also has something that Brandner doesn't have and that's youth. Wanvig has shown a lot this year in the minors, he's battling it out with Wallin for top spot on the Aeros point list, along with Cavanaugh.

The problem they are having with Foy, from what I have been hearing, is that he disappears in games and needs to get more consistant. This is evident when he puts up a lot of points and then disappears for games at time. The other problem is Foy has had a groin injury in the beginning of the season, so he might be still playing through that.

IMO Wild have good size and depth...

Veilleux- Wallin- Wanvig might be a good solid third/fourth line, just that Veilleux needs to learn the word PASS, Wallin needs to really start pushing the older guys out, and Wanvig can't slip or else Foy will take his place.

tk421 12-12-2003 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thestonedkoala
Wanvig has something that Foy doesn't have and that's experience. He also has something that Brandner doesn't have and that's youth. Wanvig has shown a lot this year in the minors, he's battling it out with Wallin for top spot on the Aeros point list, along with Cavanaugh.

I think Kyle is committed to bettering himself this year. I was one of his biggest naysayers before preseason, but his work ethic changed, he got in better shape, and at the practices I saw he played very hard (Ironically on the same line as Brandner).

But he was kind of non-existent during preseason games.

One more thing he has on Brandner is his physical play. Christoph, being from a less physical league, may never become the type of player his body is capable of.

Where Wanvig has some Tkachuck/Neely kind of potential, hard nosed player who can score 20+ goals.

I think Kyle realized this year it takes a lot of hard work to play in the NHL, just being drafted doesn't give you instant playing time.

thestonedkoala 12-12-2003 10:22 AM

Agreed...tk421...

I think that Wanvig is showing himself this year that he realized a lot of things over the pre-season and realized that his window of chance is closing.