HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Buffalo Sabres (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   For those that want Georges Laraque (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=34822)

WhoIsJimBob 12-10-2003 03:56 AM

For those that want Georges Laraque

http://www.slam.ca/Slam031210/col_jones-sun.html

It's getting hard to justify keeping Georges Laraque when he isn't fighting anybody, hitting anybody or accomplishing anything.

I guess you could hope that a change of scenery would help..........

LALALALALALAFONTAINE 12-10-2003 04:28 AM

Laraque hasn't played well lately. I wouldn't want him now.

Tucker 12-10-2003 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Bob
http://www.slam.ca/Slam031210/col_jones-sun.html

It's getting hard to justify keeping Georges Laraque when he isn't fighting anybody, hitting anybody or accomplishing anything.

I guess you could hope that a change of scenery would help..........

worth a gamble unless he has found religion or some non violent cult.

Rhett4 12-10-2003 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tucker
worth a gamble unless he has found religion or some non violent cult.

I'd still take Laraque in a heart beat. He certainly needs to fight more, but at least his intimidation factor along will preent some cheap shots from happening. Heck, Laraque can fight better from the bench than Boulton can wth his gloves off.

Tucker 12-10-2003 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhett4
I'd still take Laraque in a heart beat. He certainly needs to fight more, but at least his intimidation factor along will preent some cheap shots from happening. Heck, Laraque can fight better from the bench than Boulton can wth his gloves off.

Heck now we know Kalinin is tougher than Bolts :D

KillToronto 12-10-2003 01:10 PM

I'd take Laraques any day.

WhoIsJimBob 12-11-2003 02:08 AM

Quote:

How is he going to intimidate anyone when the entire league knows that he's not hitting or fighting anyone?

Rhett4 12-11-2003 10:04 AM

Quote:

How is he going to intimidate anyone when the entire league knows that he's not hitting or fighting anyone?

I'm pretty sure if a game gets out of hand or there a cheap shot thrown, Laraque isn't going to stand there.

He's not lining up on the face-off and fighting other enforcers for show, no. But I guarentee you he will drop the gloves if a situation warrants it.

WhoIsJimBob 12-12-2003 02:22 AM

Quote:

I'm pretty sure if a game gets out of hand or there a cheap shot thrown, Laraque isn't going to stand there.

He's not lining up on the face-off and fighting other enforcers for show, no. But I guarentee you he will drop the gloves if a situation warrants it.

And you know this how?

Especially since he's not even hitting people in Edmonton right now.

And are you telling me that there haven't been any cheapshots thrown against Oiler players this year that GL hasn't reacted to?

I find that hard to believe given that he's only been in two fights this year and neither appears to be because of a cheapshot.

LALALALALALAFONTAINE 12-15-2003 05:25 AM

Laraque's been in three fights. One was started by Peters. Another was started by Nazarov. The fight with Oliwa saw Laraque as a willing participant.

If Laraque fights 25 times a year, I want him. If he fights under 10 times a year, I don't.

Tucker 12-15-2003 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LALALALALALAFONTAINE
Laraque's been in three fights. One was started by Peters. Another was started by Nazarov. The fight with Oliwa saw Laraque as a willing participant.

If Laraque fights 25 times a year, I want him. If he fights under 10 times a year, I don't.

Well he is on pace for under 10 so I guess we don't want him.

billsandsabres 12-15-2003 04:45 PM

nobody wants to fight laraque
he's gotten to a point in his career where his reputation is costing him dance partners

true, young kids get called up and want to prove themselves against the heavyweights, but there are far fewer rookies this year who are dropping at first whiff, ala reed low or jody shelley

WhoIsJimBob 12-16-2003 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billsandsabres
nobody wants to fight laraque
he's gotten to a point in his career where his reputation is costing him dance partners

true, young kids get called up and want to prove themselves against the heavyweights, but there are far fewer rookies this year who are dropping at first whiff, ala reed low or jody shelley

Or, Georges doesn't want to drop the gloves because of the hand injury he suffered in his fight with Oliwa and aggravated in his latest fight with Nazarov..........

Takeo 12-16-2003 03:25 AM

Quote:

Or, Georges doesn't want to drop the gloves because of the hand injury he suffered in his fight with Oliwa and aggravated in his latest fight with Nazarov..........

So how can you criticize him for not fightning if it's due to an injury?

WhoIsJimBob 12-16-2003 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Takeo21
So how can you criticize him for not fightning if it's due to an injury?

I'm not criticizing him for not fighting due to the injury.

What I'm saying is that he isn't fighting and thus he wouldn't do a whole lot of good for the Sabres in the short term.

The reports out of Edmonton are that he's not hitting, he can't fight due to the hand, and he's not doing much of anything on the ice.

If you want to trade for him hoping that once his hand heals, which may not be this season, he returns to being a dominant NHL enforcer, then that is a risk that might be worth taking.

But, if you expect the guy to come to Buffalo and immediately be a spark and physically intimidate guys, then I think you are barking up the wrong tree.

Who's going to be intimidated by an enforcer who can't fight because of a busted up hand who's not at least hitting people and causing havoc in other ways?

billsandsabres 12-16-2003 02:38 PM

Quote:

well you could have said that from the start and not opened the floor to me making an idiot of myself
ah hell, i have no credibility anyways. which city do the sabres play in?

WhoIsJimBob 01-06-2004 03:14 AM

Now may be the time to go after Georges.

He has been dropping the gloves more lately:

12/12 - He fought Andrei Nazarov
12/18 - He fought Matt Johnson
12/20 - He fought Brad May
12/30 - He fought Matt Johnson

It looks like the hand has healed up. The only thing that worries me is what Lowe would want in return.

I have a feeling that he'd ask for Dumont or Kotalik in a deal for Laraque.

Takeo 01-06-2004 03:25 AM

Quote:

It looks like the hand has healed up. The only thing that worries me is what Lowe would want in return.

Did Laraque win these fights?

SabresRule 01-06-2004 04:51 AM

Quote:

LOL well lowe can get stuffed. Laraque is worth a 2nd rounder max. no fighter is worth more. his pretty useless and as a fighter his not a commodity we need with boulton who was voted best middle wieght and peters who should get more ice time.

Kenadyan 01-06-2004 05:04 AM

The title of this thread reminds me of an AC/DC song,

"For those that want Laraque........" :joker: :joker:

LALALALALALAFONTAINE 01-06-2004 05:26 AM

http://www.hockeyfights.com/player_f...d=110&yr=reg04

12/12/2003 EDM PHO Andrei Nazarov 2pd 03:23
Comments: Early in the second, Laraque drills Freddie Sjostrom hard into the boards. Nazarov skates over and issues the challenge. Nazarov starts off with a right that misses and he immediately tucks his head into Laraque's chest. Georges gets his left free and starts punching the back of Nazarov's head. The wrestle around for a few seconds and fall to the ice a few times, and then finally they stay down for good. At the very end, after both Laraque and Nazarov fell to the ice and the linesmen stepped in, Nazarov landed a nice left to the back of Laraque's head.

12/18/2003 EDM MIN Matt Johnson 1pd 09:27
Comments: Long sqaureoff as Moose appeared to want to stay open and not grab a hold of Laraque. They finally get together with Laraque getting a few punches off before Johnson loses his balance.

12/20/2003 EDM VAN Brad May 1pd 00:40
Comments: Canucks go up 1-0. On the next shift Laraque invites May to go. May hesitates, then nods. Laraque drops his gloves as the linesman tries to get in there, but he moves aside as May drops his gloves. Laraque goes for the grab, and May starts throwing lefts. He threw two, which didn't land as Laraque is pawing at May's helmet. May throws a couple of more lefts. At this point, Laraque stops going for May's hat and throws a few big lefts, about three or four, landing a couple. May loses his and goes to the ice.

12/30/2003 EDM MIN Matt Johnson 1pd 14:42
Comments: Laraque issues the challenge off the faceoff and off come the gloves. Laraque rips Johnson's helmet off and both guys are loading up the bombs. Standing at arm's length, with Laraque's left and Johnson's right both free, Johnson tries a couple of haymakers which miss. Johnson begins to lose his balance when Laraque throws three lefts to the back of Johnson's head and down to the ice goes Johnson. These two fight all the time, with little result.

Sounds like he's back to normal.

WhoIsJimBob 01-06-2004 05:47 AM

Quote:

Sounds like he's back to normal.
Actually, it sounds to me like Georges has switched to a southpaw fighting style to protect his injured hand.

That he's holding his own with his "off hand" is a tribute to just how good he when the mitts are dropped.

LALALALALALAFONTAINE 01-06-2004 09:45 AM

I'm pretty sure Laraque is a southpaw.

WhoIsJimBob 01-06-2004 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LALALALALALAFONTAINE
I'm pretty sure Laraque is a southpaw.

I seem to remember the fight with Peters ending with Georges throwing some serious right hands.

billsandsabres 01-06-2004 12:50 PM

Quote:

it all depends how much money laraque will have to fork over