HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Next Season (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=34871)

eddy 12-10-2003 07:29 AM

Next Season, New Look to Habs?

Next season I believe could be the begining of a new Habs team where we will start to see the effects of all the rebuilding the team has done over the past few years. The following players for some reason or another, mostly because of contract expiration, or possibly trade or buy-out should be gone, Juneau, Dackell, Perreault, Quintal, Audette, Dykhuise, Traverse, Dwyer, Blouin thats about 13 million gone and theres always the possibility of Breezy getting dealt and thats another 4 million but I wouldn't count on that. So thats alot of dead wood and salary cleared up along with some roster space for our younger players and maybe with the extra salary a good UFA. Seems like next year could be an exciting one and a new look to the Habs thanks to good rebuiling. Would all this be fair to say, correct me if i'm wrong in any of this as I just thought it up off the top off my head.

Necrophile 12-10-2003 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eddy
Next season I believe could be the begining of a new Habs team where we will start to see the effects of all the rebuilding the team has done over the past few years. The following players for some reason or another, mostly because of contract expiration, or possibly trade or buy-out should be gone, Juneau, Dackell, Perreault, Quintal, Audette, Dykhuise, Traverse, Dwyer, Blouin thats about 13 million gone and theres always the possibility of Breezy getting dealt and thats another 4 million but I wouldn't count on that. So thats alot of dead wood and salary cleared up along with some roster space for our younger players and maybe with the extra salary a good UFA. Seems like next year could be an exciting one and a new look to the Habs thanks to good rebuiling. Would all this be fair to say, correct me if i'm wrong in any of this as I just thought it up off the top off my head.

It may be the first time in a long while the Habs will have so much talent and potential on the team. Let's just hope CJ and BG continue to steer all this youth and talent in the right direction. And if the Habs are fighting for / have achieved a playoff berth near the end of the season, I wouldn't be too surprised to see a leader and veteran come in who could prove useful for years to come, or maybe just for a playoff run. Oh, by the way, Gilmour is contemplating a return to the NHL ;) . (source: Journal de Mtl.)

Freaky Habs Fan 12-10-2003 10:21 AM

It's gonna be a nice season to watch. If 5 rookie make the big jump, I don't think we will make the playoff but if it's the price to pay to be a great team in 4-5 years, go for it.

We will probably see Higgins, Perez, Plekanec, Kastsistyn and maybe our 2004 first rounder in addition of Komi, Hainsey, Ryder and Ribeiro. Nice youth mouvement. Exactly what I want.

fumanchou 12-10-2003 11:05 AM

To those who really believe that next year all of Audette, Quintal, Dackell, Juneau, Perrault will be gone ... WAKE UP. Just tell me you belive that this same moronic organisation that is not able now to send Audette packing instead of Hossa and plays Bouillon over Hainsey, will suddenly pull a 180 and kick out 5 vets and replace them with 5 rookies. COME ON. I'd like to see it happen but we have to stay realistic, it won't happen. I bet you some some of these so-called dead woods will be re-sign to new contracts or replaced by deadlier woods.

eddy 12-10-2003 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fumanchou
To those who really believe that next year all of Audette, Quintal, Dackell, Juneau, Perrault will be gone ... WAKE UP. Just tell me you belive that this same moronic organisation that is not able now to send Audette packing instead of Hossa and plays Bouillon over Hainsey, will suddenly pull a 180 and kick out 5 vets and replace them with 5 rookies. COME ON. I'd like to see it happen but we have to stay realistic, it won't happen. I bet you some some of these so-called dead woods will be re-sign to new contracts or replaced by deadlier woods.

Those who's contracts do end I truely believe will be gone and not re-signed, as for those whos don't, which of the 5 you mentioned I believe is only Audette, I'm hoping they will somehow get rid of them but who knows you may be right.

Jag68Sid87 12-10-2003 12:44 PM

Quote:

Agreed 100%. So far this season, we've seen absolutely NO sign that this team is ready to turn things over to the youth. It's just not going to happen. Let's not forget, the announcement of the youth movement was something that already happened last summer. Therefore, next year will be Year 2 of the rebuilding plan, Canadiens style.

There's no way they're going to even consider Kastsitsyn for a roster spot next season. If they wanted him ready to challenge for the big club in 2004-05, I doubt he'd be playing fourth line in Russia/second tier in CSKA 2 and not even playing against the very best players at the WJC (don't forget, Belarus won't be playing in the A pool this year). He still has to get adjusted to North America, and start playing at a higher level before coming over. Basically, this season is a complete waste.

The Perreault's and Juneau's and Quintal's of the world will be replaced with more of the same. It's the way it's always been with this team, since they entered their mediocrity era.

gohabsgo2010 12-10-2003 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jag68Vlady27
It's the way it's always been with this team, since they entered their mediocrity era.

The era we are now leaving. It starts from the top of the organization and spreads throughout the rest. The Habs have rebuilt the stronghold of the organization, and there are now four very strong hockey people, Bob Gainey, Andre Savard, Trevor Timmins, and Pierre Gauthier, working together to bring out the best in our players for the future of the team.

Don't think for a minute that Gainey has not done his research. He has so much pride and class, he will not be foolish and stupid, because he knows what this team and these players mean to Montreal, to Quebec, and to Canada. Gainey has taken in depth looks at each and every one of the players on the ice, in the organizaton, and the men in the front office. Mistakes happen, but they are no longer frequent.

Trust me, you'll see a different look next year. Believe in Bob.

Dutchy 12-10-2003 12:59 PM

Quote:

Wow, you REALLY know how to run a NHL franchise don't you?!? You're right on the money there, BG doesn't want the Habs to be a good and competitive team so next year he'll just hand out big fat contracts to players past their prime. Wow, that makes sooooo much sense! What you gotta realise his that he came here with his hands tied with a lot of huge contracts that he can't get rid off. Oh yeah, and BTW, Hossa was sent back because his work ethic wasn't up to par, and Hainsey was sent down because we wanted him to get more ice time. A little thing we call patience, my friend...

Quote:

Agreed 100%. So far this season, we've seen absolutely NO sign that this team is ready to turn things over to the youth. It's just not going to happen. Let's not forget, the announcement of the youth movement was something that already happened last summer. Therefore, next year will be Year 2 of the rebuilding plan, Canadiens style.

You're right, putting an eight rounder who has never played one NHL game in his life on our first line isn't a youth movement. Or the fact that Ribeiro and Bégin are ahead of Perrault and Juneau in the depth chart is just a way to show how we want a really old and weak team. :teach:

Quote:

There's no way they're going to even consider Kastsitsyn for a roster spot next season. If they wanted him ready to challenge for the big club in 2004-05, I doubt he'd be playing fourth line in Russia/second tier in CSKA 2 and not even playing against the very best players at the WJC (don't forget, Belarus won't be playing in the A pool this year). He still has to get adjusted to North America, and start playing at a higher level before coming over. Basically, this season is a complete waste.

The reason why Kastsitsyn isn't playing in N-A this year is because they couldn't agree on a contract. You should get your facts straight before complaining. Montreal (the poster) has addressed the fact many times that it is really hard for young players like Zherdev and Kastsitsyn to crack up russian line-ups.

Quote:

The Perreault's and Juneau's and Quintal's of the world will be replaced with more of the same. It's the way it's always been with this team, since they entered their mediocrity era.

YEAH, LET'S ALL JOIN THE BANDWAGON!!!

P.S. Sorry about the rudeness, but I'm getting pissed of these kind of posts....

Habsolution 12-10-2003 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eddy

Quote:

I think the answer lies somewhere between these two opinions.

They will probably

-Resign a vet or two (Sundstrom and/or Quintal)
-Let loose some UFAs that haven't been traded at the deadline (Dackell, Juneau, Perreault, Quintal being some likely candidates here)
-Buy out a player or two (Traverse, Audette or even take Brisebois 1M buyout option and resign him at a cheaper price, 2M)
-Sign some UFAs (Guys like Carney, Knuble, Rolston, Murray, Conroy, McAmmond, Holmstrom, etc)
-Then fill the holes with prospects(higgins, plekanec, etc) and and deserving AHLer(Dagenais, Gratton being possible candidates)

At the beginning of the season I hoped that the management would fill the line up with rookies but I knew that it wasn't possible. Next season is gonna be different because the habs will have a lot more flexibility. The table is set for Gainey to do what's right for the franchise. A legit 1st line big guy like Murray or a top dman like Carney would be a welcome addition. But I doubt the top guys will want to sign here. So it's up to Gainey to sign those players that are cheap and effective that will fill a hole.

Gainey has pushed the right buttons so far. His waiver wire pick ups have been awesome and have filled gaping holes. I have faith in him.

goalchenyuk 12-10-2003 01:35 PM

next season ?

LOCK OUT !!!!

SORRY WE'RE CLOSE :WAR BETWEN OWNERS AND PLAYERS....

http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies...fighting08.gifhttp://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies...fighting19.gif

Habsolution 12-10-2003 01:38 PM

I really don't think we can see a 1 year lock out. Some teams would have no choice but fold. That wouldn't suit well with Bettman who first initiated the expansion. I don't think the older veterans like Hull, Chelios, etc want a one year lock out neither. I dunno I just don't see it lasting a year. Maybe a reduced season like 95 ?

danboulie 12-10-2003 01:45 PM

It really pains me to say this, but this board really seems to be going in a downward spiral. It was ok about a month ago, but then I didn't have a chance to come here as often, as work occupied most of my time. Now each time I come here it seems to be slowly getting worse and worse. Maybe it's the constant bickering that takes place between people. I don't know, but I sure hope something happens to turn this board around.

As far as this thread's topic is concerned, it will most likely be in between the two extremes previously posted (5 new rookies entering the lineup as opposed to everyone's contracts being renewed). Gainey doesn't seem the type to rush players into the NHL, and I don't think that 5 players from Hamilton will show the maturity he feels is needed to crack the lineup as soon as next year. One or two vets will likely get new contracts, with the others either being traded for picks (or another vet), or just being let go.

Jag68Sid87 12-11-2003 10:18 AM

Dutchy,
I don't think you were being rude at all, you have your own views and that's cool.

As for Gainey, he has always preferred a veteran-laden team...whether in Minnesota/Dallas or this season in Montreal. There's no reason to expect anything to be different next season. And NO I wouldn't call Michael Ryder's appearance this season alone a youth movement. He's a 1998 draftee that had an awesome camp and has made the most of his opportunity. Great for him but I don't think that proves this team is committed to its young players.

As for Kastsitsyn not being signed because he was difficult to get out of Russia, well that should have been part of the organization's thought process when they committed to making the kid its No. 1 pick last June.
I just don't think that he's being developed properly this season, and the CHL or AHL would have been a far better move for this franchise at this time.