HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Free Agent Frenzy (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Peca to avs rumor: (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=34923)

DRL 12-10-2003 10:17 AM

Peca to avs rumor:

Al Morganti of ESPN wrote about the possibility of Peca coming to the Avs. I think Peca would be good on the Avs but at his salary I highly doubt it'll happen unless NY is willing to eat some salary.

"Peca to the Avalanche?

The New York Islanders are in the process of trading Michael Peca, and although the Toronto Maple Leafs appear to be the most interested suitor, do not discount the Colorado Avalanche.

The Avalanche still have not made up for the removal of Chris Drury from their roster. Although Peca makes a lot of money for his talents ($4.7 million), it would be manageable in the long-term should Peter Forsberg call it a career at the end of this season.

As usual, the Avalanche are very quiet -- usually a sign that general manager Pierre Lacroix is up to something.

Meanwhile, the focus in Long Island is on two Mikes -- Michael Peca and general manager Mike Milbury. When Peca first went to the Isles, he did look like the sort of leader that would take them back to respectability. He hasn't been able to do that, and of bigger concern is whether or not Peca's career was literally put in check when he suffered a serious knee injury against the Toronto Maple Leafs in the 2002 playoffs.

As for Milbury, he has been at the helm of a coaching carousel since taking over the Isles in 1995. His recent decision to jettison Jason Wiemer for financial reasons was a huge miscalculation in its effect on team chemistry."

now i know many avs fans have said there is no need for peca since nikolishin has done an amazing job as the 3rd line center, however in my opinion that should have no effect on deciding whether or not to acquire peca.
there are 5 reasons lacroix should consider acquiring peca:

1) he/was an elite selke shutdown player, capable of blanking an opposing teams star player in the playoffs.

2) he adds a much needed combination of grit/skill that this team has not had since adam deadmarsh/ricci/lemiuex days, not counting peter of course, but his main goal is to provide points first and foremost.

3) acquiring him prevents other western powerhouses from acquiring him, period.

4) peca can play wing(see 2002 oly.) a konowalchuk-nikolishin-peca 3rd line would probably be the greatest shutdown line on paper in history.

5) finally, we all know peter's days are numbered, this will probably be his last season, peca can slip into the 2nd spot next year. plus, peter's ab injury could prevent him from playing in more games this season and having peca would reduce the need to force peter into action before he is ready.

now that that has been settled the problem of what he would cost the avs is up for debate. assuming lacroix is not willing to offer his main assets (tanguay-morris) what's left for the isles?

have no idea what milbury would seek, but he wants the budget cut and wants to make room for younger players. the avs don't have any bluechip forwards remaining so to the best of knowledge these players could be had for the right price:

skoula(hated by avs fans, not developing as expected), hinote(made expendable by the emergence of mccormick), ballard(blue chip offensive defensemen ala rafalski), boychuk(gritty stay-at-home top 4 dman), larsen(quality but injury prone 3rd/4th liner) and 2 2nd and 3rd rounders.

so here is what i would propose:

to avs: peca and cairns

to isles: hinote and ballard plus a comp. pick based on the performance of the avs in the playoffs>a cup equals florida's 2nd, final 4 appearance was 3rd etc.

i get the feeling there would be no room for skoula unless the isles traded hamrlik and ballard is expendable to the avs with offensive dman in blake, morris, liles already here, they need more tough stay at home types than skilled blueliners.

thoughts?

Ajacied 12-10-2003 10:19 AM

Hardly a rumor. These kind of idea's happen all he time..

That said, Tanguay would have to be a part of it.

Goulet17 12-10-2003 10:31 AM

I don't know why everyone is so excited over Mike Peca, he hardly seems like the same player as before his knee injury.

Tanguay for Peca is a bad trade for the Avs.

The Avs need to concentrate on obtaining a veteran goaltender or possibly another veteran defensemen.

Av-merican 12-10-2003 10:38 AM

Trade the league's leading scorer for an overpaid checking center still gimped up from a knee injury suffered two seasons ago? Hell, no... :p

Besides, Nikolishin has been a better player than Peca this season and for far less money.

I'm content to wait and see what this team will do once it gets healthy.

Darth Milbury 12-10-2003 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goulet17
I don't know why everyone is so excited over Mike Peca, he hardly seems like the same player as before his knee injury.

Tanguay for Peca is a bad trade for the Avs.

The Avs need to concentrate on obtaining a veteran goaltender or possibly another veteran defensemen.

Basically, I agree with this poster. I don't see the Avs trading Tanguay, of course, and and agree that vet defensemen and vet goaltenders may more signficant concerns. That said, I personally think that the Avs current goaltending will be fine and I do think they can win the cup again with nothing more than minor tweeks.

Also, although money is very tight on the Island, I can't begin to imagine that packages described above would get anthing done. Tanguay is gross overpayment, but expecting to get Peca for Ballard and Hniote is unrealistic.

BTW, Peca makes 4.25 million, not 4.7.

PEli* 12-10-2003 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modano = God

Yeah, good luck with that idea.

p.l.f. 12-10-2003 10:44 AM

nikolishin over peca ??
:joker:

Darth Milbury 12-10-2003 10:49 AM

BTW, the chances of a Peca trade have decreased in recent nights. The Isles have finally started to win again and Peca has clicked on a line with Bates and Hunter. He had three assists last night and was one of the games' stars. I think the Isles are going to hold off on any moves involving Peca, for now. But, to be honest, anything can happen.

Trottier 12-10-2003 10:53 AM

Seems that there is no fit. Avs players are either too valuable (Tanguay) or not enough for Peca.

He would be a superb pickup for any team (and to characterize him simply as a third line checking center misses the point entirely of his value to a squad), but the match isn't there. Besides, it may be that Wang and Milbury have smartened up and realize that for NYI to do anything this season whatsoever, Peca has to play a significant part. (Hopefully, a few NYI fans will do same, in time.)

Couple of other somewhat related points:The Isles may be looking to lessen payroll, and it seems very unlikely that they would add a cent to payroll. However, personally think it is a bit presumptuous to state as fact that they will be moving salaries out, and even if they do, to what degree remains to be seen. Unfortunately, a few vultures :p here, on behalf of other teams, are spinning that to mean that NYI is going to clean house and trade proven NHL talent for scraps and futures. Wishful thinking.

Why must some people get ahead of themselves? "We know Peter's days are numbered"? Yes, let's write off the Avs best player prematurely, due to injuries and speculation that he may be returning to Sweden.

Finally, Avs are looking for a vet goalie later in the season? Good chance. But it might be instructive for a few folks to pay just a bit notice to what is actually transpiring on the ice - in goal - for Colorado in the meantime. It's only December (not playoff time), but the Avs are doing just fine with Aebischer in net.

bleedgreen 12-10-2003 10:54 AM

someones earlier post said the avs still havent got over drury!?! i live here in CO, i watch all the games, and im here to tell you that the whole "drury effect" is way overated. this team needed someone like morris desperately, and there was a price to pay-but it is far harder to acquire a young defenseman of morris' quality than it is to get someone like drury. not to speak lesser of his contributions here-but he always tended to hold onto the puck too long trying to score his highlight goals. peca for tangauy would be about the worst trade ive seen in a long time. that idea is born from all the rumours that have existed these last few years that tanguay and skoula were one foot out the door. that may have been so at one point, but after next year any or all of forsberg,sakic, blake, foote, kariya, and selanne could be gone to free agency or retirement. leaving them with what? hejduk, tanguay,morris, and thats about it. do you think lacroix doesnt see this coming? peca over tangauy then? tangauy isnt going anywhere, period.

herecomesdabus 12-10-2003 11:24 AM

Won't be long now before Peca's stock begins to rise as well as teams coming up with needs that have to be addressed. :teach:

Burke's Evil Spirit 12-10-2003 11:26 AM

Peca as a replacement for Forsberg? The only thing Peca does as well as Forsberg is get injured.

I agree with the "Colorado needs a goaltender/defenceman before they need Peca" school of thought.

Tucker 12-10-2003 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleedgreen
that may have been so at one point, but after next year any or all of forsberg,sakic, blake, foote, kariya, and selanne could be gone to free agency or retirement. leaving them with what? hejduk, tanguay,morris, and thats about it. do you think lacroix doesnt see this coming? peca over tangauy then? tangauy isnt going anywhere, period.

To me that says it is win now this year while you still have a chance. I don't think Peca is the guy but something might be out there that screws with the future of the Avs to win at all costs now.

Bruwinz37 12-10-2003 12:01 PM

Quote:

Tanquay isnt being traded for Peca. Last time I checked it isnt 2001 anymore.

Zodiac 12-10-2003 12:40 PM

Quote:

:joker:

Not bloody likely.

CREW99AW 12-10-2003 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRL

so here is what i would propose:

to avs: peca and cairns

to isles: hinote and ballard plus a comp. pick based on the performance of the avs in the playoffs>a cup equals florida's 2nd, final 4 appearance was 3rd etc.

i get the feeling there would be no room for skoula unless the isles traded hamrlik and ballard is expendable to the avs with offensive dman in blake, morris, liles already here, they need more tough stay at home types than skilled blueliners.

thoughts?

No interest in the small Ballard.Maybe replace Ballad with Boychuk?
and with a surplus of cheap, young forwards,I don't see them wanting Hinote.

Cairns($900,000) has emerged as a surprising lockerroom leader during the team's recent turmoil.Blake gave a radio interview saying cairns told
teammates bewteen periods of a recent game,that if they didn't give play hard,they'd answer to him.He's really been dropping the gloves trying to spark the team.If the nyi moved Peca's $4.2m.maybe they decide to hold onto Cairns.

stanley 12-10-2003 02:56 PM

This isn't a rumor. It's Al looking for something to write about. In Webster's Collegiate, you can find this under "unbased speculation." All Al has to go on is "Lacoix is quiet?" Sheesh.

It has no basis in fact.

Peca is expensive for what he does.

nathan 12-10-2003 06:18 PM

Yea, I did find that article funny.

Since Lacroix isbeing quiet, that must mean he's preparing for a trade. So what the freak is he doing then when the trade winds are blowing?

stanley 12-10-2003 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nathan
Since Lacroix isbeing quiet, that must mean he's preparing for a trade.

I wonder what his wife thinks when he's sleeping.

"Hmmm. Pierre must be planning to trade me. Again."

Mack 12-10-2003 08:05 PM

Quote:

no he wouldnt. Mr Milbury

Mack 12-10-2003 08:08 PM

I think the deal of Skoula, Hinote and Ballard is fine.

Ballard or Boychuk could be switched though imo.

The Isles apperently want to dump salary and with this trade they do.

#2FAN 12-10-2003 08:35 PM

Wow Tanguays value is way overated on these boards, yes he may be worth more then Peca but not at the standards you huys are giving, lets see him continue this pace for a season then start comparing him to elite stars in the NHL (not saying Peca is one).

nathan 12-10-2003 08:38 PM

I don't think anyone is saying Tanguay is or is being compared to being an elite player.

BUT

You cannot discount the fact that he is leading the league in assists, among the top 3 in overall scoring...is young (23), cheap (less than $2 mil) and no major injuries in career.

Vlad The Impaler 12-10-2003 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PEli
Yeah, good luck with that idea.

What he said.

Seph 12-10-2003 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
Peca as a replacement for Forsberg? The only thing Peca does as well as Forsberg is get injured.

Not to disagree with the general spirit of your post, but exactly how many Selkes does Forsberg have?

It was funny though.