HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Jeff O'neill moving soon? (speculation) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=35103)

Burke's Evil Spirit 12-10-2003 10:36 PM

Jeff O'neill moving soon? (speculation)

You have to wonder about Jeff O'neill. He's gotten off to a catastrophic start to the campaign (2-14-16 in 28 games) and with Carolina's horrendous attendance record this season he represents, probably, the easiest contract to "ship out" since it's relatively lightweight ($3.7 million) and expires at the end of the season. IMO, Jeff O'neill could fetch some decent return at the trade table this season and overcome the whole "players who earn more than table scraps are worthless"-trend that has besieged player movement for the last few years, and I think it's only a matter of time before Rutherford ships him out.

I don't know if Rutherford has publically denied shopping O'neill or not, I don't really follow the Hurricanes that closely (feel free to enlighten me) but I have a few ideas...

To TB: Jeff O'neill, 6th round pick
To CAR: Ruslan Fedotenko, Nikita Alexeev, 2nd round pick

I'm not as high on Alexeev as most, though, so there may be some drastic overpayment here. Maybe replace him with Afanasenkov?

To ANA: Jeff O'neill
To CAR: Andy McDonald (who IMO would be great on Staal's wing), Alexei Smirnov, 1st round pick

Thoughts?

Legionnaire 12-10-2003 11:11 PM

How often do division rivals actually trade with one another?

Here's my proposal

To LA: Jeff O'neill
To CAR: Dennis Grebeshkov, 1st

Frozen North 12-10-2003 11:17 PM

To Rangers: O'Neill
To Canes: Anson Carter; 2nd rounder

McDonald19 12-11-2003 01:39 AM

ha....no way Ducks would make a trade like that...a good second line forward, a top prospect and a first round pick...for a good first line forward...no way...crazy overpayment by Anaheim.

(Smirnov is out 4-6 weeks with sprained shoulder by the way)

a top prospect and a 2nd rounder is probably fair payment for struggling goal scorer O'neill.

Smirnov(if he were healthy) and a 2nd round pick my counter offer.

McDonald19 12-11-2003 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetRanger
To Rangers: O'Neill
To Canes: Anson Carter; 2nd rounder

fair trade...but I don't see it helping either team much.

McDonald19 12-11-2003 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legionnaire
How often do division rivals actually trade with one another?

Here's my proposal

To LA: Jeff O'neill
To CAR: Dennis Grebeshkov, 1st

Kings would be overpaying. Grebeshkov and 2nd rounder should get the deal done.

messy_eh 12-11-2003 03:18 AM

I would love to see O'niel in Vancouver but i think the team that might benifit the most from him is Ottawa. Not sure what it would take but ottawa has more than enough to get a deal done. they have some good young prospects and some even better young players I am sure Rachunek might interst the hurricanes or if Ottawa wanted to get crazy Havlat for O'niel and ???. But I think O'niel would do well in Ottawa

Benji Frank 12-11-2003 03:24 AM

what about brindamour? he's making 5 mill per and ain't doing jack......

could he be moved?

stanley 12-11-2003 03:38 AM

Jeff O'Neill has TWO - count 'em, 2 - goals this year and yet is only one point behind Erik Cole for the team lead in scoring. The entire team can't score this year. He's on pace for a career-high in assists and his SOG are just a little off pace.

Jeff O'Neill is 27 and from a historical perspective, is entering the prime of his career. Two goals or no goals, I feel all the packages I've read are woefully insufficient. If you want to offer somebody, it would have to be a young NHL-proven player, somebody like a Tanguay or a Gagne or a Jackman, but I think it would be a mistake. Anyway, don't hold me to the exact people and please don't waste the forum's time by arguing over the example players I listed (they are simply examples).

The issue in Carolina isn't O'Neill, but the lack of scorers around him.

The Kitner Boy 12-11-2003 03:47 AM

Something isn't right with O'neil this year. I wouldn't mind seeing him move for the right deal. He may just need a change of scenery, he has the ability, it just isn't happening. Please feel free to also take Ward and Hill off the 'canes roster.

Legionnaire 12-11-2003 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stanley
The issue in Carolina isn't O'Neill, but the lack of scorers around him.

You bring up some good points stanley, but I've got to take issue with this. What has changed so much in Carolina that it would effect O'neil's play so much?

They lost Kapanen, but he only had six goals in 43 games for them last year. Ozolinsh was traded last year as well, but does a shot from the point really make that big of a difference in his game? Francis is another year older and a step slower, but does that mean that O'neil can't score without one of the greatest playmakers ever feeding him the puck?

Meanwhile, they have seen some young talent emerge: Vasicek, Staal, Cole and Vrbata are all doing fairly well this year, but O'neil continues to struggle.

Now, if you want to argue that the team's system is limiting him, fine. But I'm just not going to buy that the Canes don't have any scorers.

swflyers8* 12-11-2003 04:20 AM

I offer this trade suggestion:

TO PHI: Jeff O'Neill
TO CAR: Michal Handzus

Philly needs a sniper. You could put him with Kapanen and Primeau.
Handzus is a goal scorer but is behind guys like Primeau and Roenick on our team. He's a big guy and he's a good playmaker.

The Kitner Boy 12-11-2003 05:07 AM

Something people outside of the Raleigh may be missing about O'neil is that is a very popular (less so latley) player on the team. It would be nice to get a name player people recongize if they do deal him.

Pure Slaughter Value 12-11-2003 05:11 AM

A Gagne, Jackman or Tanguay? For Jeff O'Neill?

Tanguay has passed the 70pt mark during a season (he has the potential to top that), O'Neill hasn't and Tanguay is younger with more potential. Tanguay has at least another 14+yrs in the NHL left in him, Gagne has about 15 or more years left in him and Jackman also about the same.

No team is going to give up that much to get Jeff O'Neill. Don't get me wrong, i'm a fan of Jeff, i think he's a good player, but thats asking for a lot those guys you mentioned, the LA offer looks pretty good, but the NYR one doesn't.

I think the LA offer is good, but I disagree with the comments comparing O'Neill, Tanguay, Jackman, Gagne.

O'Neill may not have topped 70 points, but four years straight averaging mid 30's goals and assists is something neither Gagne or Tanguay have done. Tanguay had a horrendous 1.5 seasons before his 2nd half outburst last year and has always played with elite players. Gagne has all the tools but physically hasn't been able to keep it together. O'Neill has been switched from Wing to Center and back again, is a lock for 70-80 games a season and 30 goals.

Depends on needs, but if I'm looking for a first line goal scorer O'Neill's clearly the best of the three. If I want playmaking I'd go with Tanguay. Wouldn't go with Gagne at all until he plays a season like he did 3 years ago.

WhoIsJimBob 12-11-2003 05:13 AM

How about:

Satan and Delmore

for

O'Neill and Boughner or Hill

The Kitner Boy 12-11-2003 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Bob
How about:

Satan and Delmore

for

O'Neill and Boughner or Hill

O'Neil and Hill for Satan and Delmore. :handclap:

MojoJojo 12-11-2003 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MR. X
O'Neil and Hill for Satan and Delmore. :handclap:

I think Buffalo wins that deal.

Hill>Delmore
Satan > O'Neil But makes too much money for the trade to work

membleypeg 12-11-2003 05:51 AM

I would love to see O'Neill on the Canucks. How about

To Carolina - Sedin+Sedin+King
To Van - O'neill+Stall

Never happen however, I think the value is close.

Takeo 12-11-2003 05:56 AM

Satan + 1 mil for O'Neill

WhoIsJimBob 12-11-2003 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MojoJojo
I think Buffalo wins that deal.

Hill>Delmore
Satan > O'Neil But makes too much money for the trade to work

Why wouldn't the money work?

Hill and O'Neill combine to make $5.75 million this year.

Satan and Delmore combine to make $5.75 million this year.

It's a wash moneywise.

p.l.f. 12-11-2003 06:34 AM

Ok look, 2 things:

1. O'Neill should be the player the Canes should be building their team around. Francis is done, and Staal is just a kid.

2. O'Neill has an 'undisclosed upper body injury' and isn't shooting the puck much as a result ( in case you were wondering why he only has 2 goals)

H-Bear 12-11-2003 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scarface
A Gagne, Jackman or Tanguay? For Jeff O'Neill?

Tanguay has passed the 70pt mark during a season (he has the potential to top that), O'Neill hasn't and Tanguay is younger with more potential. Tanguay has at least another 14+yrs in the NHL left in him, Gagne has about 15 or more years left in him and Jackman also about the same.

No team is going to give up that much to get Jeff O'Neill. Don't get me wrong, i'm a fan of Jeff, i think he's a good player, but thats asking for a lot those guys you mentioned, the LA offer looks pretty good, but the NYR one doesn't.

To New York:

Jeff O'Niell

To Carolina:

Jamie Lundmark and a 2nd rounder.

Lundmark is capable of more points than Carter, he's just stuck on team that has major problems developing its prospects.

Really not a very good reader, are you?

"Anyway, don't hold me to the exact people and please don't waste the forum's time by arguing over the example players I listed (they are simply examples)."

What part of that was hard to understand?

bleedgreen 12-11-2003 09:42 AM

the lundmark deal would make the most sense for carolina, he's young, can score, and can play wing. any deal for a center (handzus?)doesnt make sense with 5-6 centers already on the roster. oneill is young for a ranger pick-up, it would go over well in ny. it would take a draft pick back for carolina though.

Old Hickory 12-11-2003 09:48 AM

I would love for the Kings to land O'Neill. We need to replace Deadmarsh's lost grit. I would be very happy with O'Neill and wouldn't mind overpaying to get him

Free Torts 12-11-2003 09:50 AM

The front desk is paging Brian Burke. Brian Burke, please pick up the nearest red courtesy phone..

If O'Neill is in fact on the block, the Canucks should pounce on this like a guy with chicken pox on a back scratcher. No, he would not be available cheap, but anyone who can help the team right now is going to cost them serious assets. I'm not sure we'd have what it takes to grab him, but I'd like to hear a 'Canes fan's point of view here.