HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   2 more stupid trades! (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=351880)

ATLANTARANGER* 02-27-2007 06:21 PM

2 more stupid trades!
 
Where are all the fire sather & maloney, dumb scouting staffs. Did Sather & company trade them all as futire considerations in those 2 steals!

Edge 02-27-2007 06:32 PM

This is exactly why I wasn't getting bent out of shape about the trade deadline.

Onion Boy 02-27-2007 06:36 PM

Would anyone care to decipher this post for me?

The Thomas J.* 02-27-2007 06:42 PM

yea what he said
:dunno:

ATLANTARANGER* 02-27-2007 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjb3599 (Post 8284864)
Would anyone care to decipher this post for me?

Sather did not trade young players for old farts. In fact he's done exactly what he & maloney have been saying for a long time. They will trade, but it will to benefit the team long term. They will not take on salary. We turned a player, Duprey, who we have plenty of duplicates of on the farm and in Jrs for a quality young player, barely over 20 who plays with an edge and more importantly north/south kind of player.

Mara is 7 years younger than Ward whom we got for zero. He's bigger and will address the PP point issue. His contract is not a killer. He enters his contract year next year and based off of the prices this year could fetch a #1 should we decide to deal him next year at the trade deadline. The positive is maybe no more Rozsival on the point.

HVPOLARBEARS19 02-27-2007 07:26 PM

This is the first time I've been legitimately happy with our trades. What awesome moves. Mara for Ward...wow talk about a steal. And Bourett, Atlanta's best prospect for Pascal Dupuis???
Damn if only we could've dumped a few more pieces of our dead wood, but this is a terrific start.

Onion Boy 02-27-2007 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER (Post 8285714)
Sather did not trade young players for old farts. In fact he's done exactly what he & maloney have been saying for a long time. They will trade, but it will to benefit the team long term. They will not take on salary. We turned a player, Duprey, who we have plenty of duplicates of on the farm and in Jrs for a quality young player, barely over 20 who plays with an edge and more importantly north/south kind of player.

Mara is 7 years younger than Ward whom we got for zero. He's bigger and will address the PP point issue. His contract is not a killer. He enters his contract year next year and based off of the prices this year could fetch a #1 should we decide to deal him next year at the trade deadline. The positive is maybe no more Rozsival on the point.

Gotcha. Good analysis. I agree with everything you said although I'm not sure Mara will replace Roszival on the PP.

DutchShamrock 02-27-2007 07:37 PM

In all fairness, I was pretty calm until Renney started saying that we need help to pick up the slack for Shanny and Straka. Then I thought, "my god, they ARE going to make a run this year." Our staff isn't on the same page, heck they aren't even reading the same book.

Plus we gots history at the deadline.

Inferno 02-27-2007 07:44 PM

Rangers did well this trade deadline if for no other reason that they didnt take part of the buying madness. id rather have the team stand more or less pat then to engage these insane prices.

ATLANTARANGER* 02-27-2007 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mugerya (Post 8286509)
In all fairness, I was pretty calm until Renney started saying that we need help to pick up the slack for Shanny and Straka. Then I thought, "my god, they ARE going to make a run this year." Our staff isn't on the same page, heck they aren't even reading the same book.

Plus we gots history at the deadline.

You are thinking pre stocked cupboard. When the cupboard was bare and it was bare, you had no choice. You try and trade and sign UFAs to get you to thepoint where you are competitive. Alot of the signings were poor, they created more problems than they were suppose to solve.

But since the great purge and the last few drafts we now are starting to gather up some solid players. Think of it we tradeed Ward and Dupris for actual value! Now let's take it one step further into next year. Let's say we pick up Nylander's opition, he's then in his walk yar and look at what people got for players in their walk years! Same with Rozsival and Betts and maybe even Cullen. we hold'em for another year, they are closer to the end of their contracts and maybe their contracts are even considered to be more manageable cap wise. In 2 two years time many of the kids we have drafted will be ready.

WheresBarnaby 02-27-2007 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER (Post 8285714)
Sather did not trade young players for old farts. In fact he's done exactly what he & maloney have been saying for a long time. They will trade, but it will to benefit the team long term. They will not take on salary. We turned a player, Duprey, who we have plenty of duplicates of on the farm and in Jrs for a quality young player, barely over 20 who plays with an edge and more importantly north/south kind of player.

Mara is 7 years younger than Ward whom we got for zero. He's bigger and will address the PP point issue. His contract is not a killer. He enters his contract year next year and based off of the prices this year could fetch a #1 should we decide to deal him next year at the trade deadline. The positive is maybe no more Rozsival on the point.

Mara is also -21 this season. Interesting that no ones discussing this. The dupuis move may very well turn out to be a steal, but I don't see why we trade a stay at home defenseman gets traded, for some one who's more offensive. Especially, when defensive responsiblity is one of this teams biggest issues. But that's just me. I can understand the age thing somewhat, but Aaron's younger than both Jagr and Shanny.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 02-27-2007 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WheresBarnaby (Post 8287039)
Mara is also -21 this season. Interesting that no ones discussing this. The dupuis move may very well turn out to be a steal, but I don't see why we trade a stay at home defenseman gets traded, for some one who's more offensive. Especially, when defensive responsiblity is one of this teams biggest issues. But that's just me. I can understand the age thing somewhat, but Aaron's younger than both Jagr and Shanny.

And Malik is +21. How telling is that?

Just pair them together and they'll both be even.

BigE 02-27-2007 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway (Post 8287375)
And Malik is +21. How telling is that?

Just pair them together and they'll both be even.

Quote of the night.

In The Flesh 02-27-2007 09:26 PM

Barry Melrose just said on ESPN, that the rangers were the biggest losers of the trade deadline. Ahhhhhhhahahahah. Shows what he knows.

BigE 02-27-2007 09:27 PM

What? Why? Elaborate, please.

Inferno 02-27-2007 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER (Post 8286834)
You are thinking pre stocked cupboard. When the cupboard was bare and it was bare, you had no choice. You try and trade and sign UFAs to get you to thepoint where you are competitive. Alot of the signings were poor, they created more problems than they were suppose to solve.

But since the great purge and the last few drafts we now are starting to gather up some solid players. Think of it we tradeed Ward and Dupris for actual value! Now let's take it one step further into next year. Let's say we pick up Nylander's opition, he's then in his walk yar and look at what people got for players in their walk years! Same with Rozsival and Betts and maybe even Cullen. we hold'em for another year, they are closer to the end of their contracts and maybe their contracts are even considered to be more manageable cap wise. In 2 two years time many of the kids we have drafted will be ready.

Nylander has an option? are you sure about that?

Inferno 02-27-2007 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 (Post 8289548)
Barry Melrose just said on ESPN, that the rangers were the biggest losers of the trade deadline. Ahhhhhhhahahahah. Shows what he knows.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigE (Post 8289587)
What? Why? Elaborate, please.

it depends on your perspective. since i havent heard the quote i wont really talk about it, but from the perspective of..its an insane sellers market and the rangers clearly arent making the playoffs, selling off pieces might have been a great opportunity to accelerate the rebuild 2 or 3 years in one fell swoop. from that perspective, i agree with him.

however im happy w/ the return we got AND im happy we didnt actually buy any players. so it all depends on how you look at it.

dedalus 02-27-2007 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigE (Post 8289587)
Why?

Because it's Melrose and he's talking about the Rangers.

BigE 02-27-2007 09:36 PM

From what I had understood it was a player option, not a team option on that contract. That's why there has been so much talk about the team re-entering into negotiations with Nylander - to lock him up again.

jas 02-27-2007 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigE (Post 8289587)
What? Why? Elaborate, please.

Because we didn't trade for a) Tkachuk b) Forsberg c) Guerin d) Roberts or e) any other "battle-tested veteran that knows how to win come playoff time"...:shakehead

BigE 02-27-2007 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jas (Post 8290281)
Because we didn't trade for a) Tkachuk b) Forsberg c) Guerin d) Roberts or e) any other "battle-tested veteran that knows how to win come playoff time"...:shakehead

That's what he said?

That's all I'm looking for here. Just what he said...

Edge 02-27-2007 10:17 PM

I'm sure Barry is well aware that the Rangers were indeed actually willing to part with Jagr for the right package but there was nothing that materialized.

I used to like Melrose but for the past two years or so he's changed.

jas 02-27-2007 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigE (Post 8290558)
That's what he said?

That's all I'm looking for here. Just what he said...

I didn't see it, but judging by typical rants from Melrose in the past, I'd go on record saying that was the gist of what he said. The winner in any trade to Melrose is the team that wins the deal short term. A team could give up a future Crosby for an aging Messier and claim they won the deal and call the team that traded the aging Messier type a loser. I am amazed some people find the guy credible.

Onion Boy 02-27-2007 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 (Post 8289548)
Barry Melrose just said on ESPN, that the rangers were the biggest losers of the trade deadline. Ahhhhhhhahahahah. Shows what he knows.

Melrose still exists?

I've been boycotting ESPN since the lockout.

BrooklynRangersFan 02-27-2007 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edge (Post 8290697)
I'm sure Barry is well aware that the Rangers were indeed actually willing to part with Jagr for the right package but there was nothing that materialized.

I used to like Melrose but for the past two years or so he's changed.

He's become the Stephen A. Smith of hockey. Goes for shock value and basically reinforces what the uneducated fan believes based on ESPN highlights. (Oh yeah, and even when he was good he seemed to have an anti-Ranger bias.)

The Rangers should have gone for Guerin, et. al.? What?!?!?

It's a shame to see him fall like that, because I used to enjoy his commentary (like 6-8 years ago).


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:38 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.