HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Any strategy out there to become better then other eastern rival in future?? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=35206)

Habs4ever 12-11-2003 09:58 AM

Any strategy out there to become better then other eastern rival in future??

Right now We all know we are in rebuilding stage but after everything is said and done every team get to draft every draft and teams like flyers already have young franchise player in Pitkanen same goes for Ottawa and many other teams so how do you suppose we'll be able to put better product then already competetive teams, And guys we should also remember we haven't really landed any true franchise player while teams like thrasers, and panthers are stock piling on great franchise players, so how exactly are we gone keep staying better then those young teams. When looking at future plan somethings gotta change from this teams strategy to make us one bit better to atleast get in playoff comfortably, and let me tell you competetive teams aren't gone start playing bad in few years, unless they pickup colorado strategy and sell all their future for cup, in just last year alone colorado has traded so many blue chippers for mediaocre players thats its not even funny but I don't think many team will follow that strategy so how exactly could we become one better then everybody else??

Corey 12-11-2003 10:05 AM

The NJ Devils haven't had the luxury of a high draft choice for ages and they don't sign high-priced free agents. The Habs should do what they do. Draft well and make shrewd trades. Don't allow RFAs to hold them up with excessive salary demands. Savard should have held firm against Théodore and Brisebois.

smnhppu 12-11-2003 10:12 AM

I'd have to say that Montreal's strategy is proably as good as any other team's. While there are no key players thrust in the spotlight (à la Bouwmeester et al) we a have a strong core coming up in the system. What I've been a ble to "read" from this forum is that we're developing a lot of depth. We have 3 defense that will be among the league's elite in Markov, Hainsey and Komisarek and some very promising forwards in Higging, Balej, Ryder, et al.

We do not have the advantages that the Flyers have where there is some continuance going on. In fact the problem we have is a gap between the "Houle years" :shakehead and these upcoming players. Where Philly filled those years with the likes of Gagne and Williams, our "next generation" seems as though it will all come in one shot.

We will then have a strong core (hopefully for a long time - that will depend on the next CBA). :dunno:

smnhppu 12-11-2003 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corey
Savard should have held firm against Théodore and Brisebois.

Wasn't that Houle? :dunno:

Habs4ever 12-11-2003 10:24 AM

Ya Savard Signed those players but I don't think it was mistake!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by smnhppu
I'd have to say that Montreal's strategy is proably as good as any other team's. While there are no key players thrust in the spotlight (à la Bouwmeester et al) we a have a strong core coming up in the system. What I've been a ble to "read" from this forum is that we're developing a lot of depth. We have 3 defense that will be among the league's elite in Markov, Hainsey and Komisarek and some very promising forwards in Higging, Balej, Ryder, et al.

We do not have the advantages that the Flyers have where there is some continuance going on. In fact the problem we have is a gap between the "Houle years" :shakehead and these upcoming players. Where Philly filled those years with the likes of Gagne and Williams, our "next generation" seems as though it will all come in one shot.

We will then have a strong core (hopefully for a long time - that will depend on the next CBA). :dunno:

That year Theodore was the best goalie in the league, Briseboise had very good year too, and Kasparitas got over $4 M from NY, so what did you want savard to do, we really didn't have anyone to replace Brisboise and market was very high at the time for Defencemen, and you should also remember at the time we didn't have Markov, Souray playing this good which meant Breezy was our No 1 defencemen and he is still no 1 defencemen so I think it was more of a bandage over defensive weakness then over payment in my book, as only other way to solve defensive problem was to make trade and we really didn't have much depth to begin with so in all it might have been good decision.

tinyzombies 12-11-2003 10:28 AM

No, AS signed Theo (tho he didn't have much choice to give him the bucks) and Brisebois ( I think AS approached HIM in December of that year so that we wouldn't lose him in the offseason).

We don't have much choice but to continue our current strategy of building depth and character players. If any one of Markov, Hainsey or Komisarek don't pan out though, we're in a bit of trouble because we're thin on defense prospects after that.

Once we have a stack of young players we could pull a trade at some point. And we can always acquire star players through free agency since we will be a more attractive place to play, especially if the market is flooded with them by a new CBA. We will be in a good position to remain under the salary cap even with a star signing (tho so would Florida and Atlanta, at least for the next few years).

By focusing on team defense, I think Gainey/AS are planning for the future very well.

We just need to get our team defense to the point where Theo can steal some Cups! That means we have to wait for Markov/Hainsey/Komisarek to fully develop before we are real deal contenders. That looks like it could be a year or two away at the current rate of development (and assuming we get a few more pleasant surprises out of the forwards and Garon continues to improve). At that point Kastitsyn should be starting to get his feet wet in the NHL and some of Perez/Balej/Hossa/Pleks/Higgins/Ward will have cemented themselves as pros.

Markov-Komisarek
Souray-Hainsey