HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Staal (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=352739)

WhipNash27 03-01-2007 09:08 AM

Staal

What do you all think? Any chance of playing in the NHL after the OHL season ends? or straight to Hartford?

Prucha25Graves988* 03-01-2007 09:10 AM

I dont think they would put him on NYR when there isnt any room for him, so why have him sit uselessly.So I would assume HFTD is where he will be going.

Vodka Drunkenski 03-01-2007 09:15 AM

Unless the playoffs are out of reach, I really don't see him coming the NY.

UAGoalieGuy 03-01-2007 09:18 AM

Ya, once he OHL team is out of the playoffs its off to Hartford for him, there are just too many D-men on the big club (Toots, Mara, Roszival, Malik, Girardi, Pock, Rachunek). If one or two of those players go down with an injury, then I think he will be the first players considered to be called up (Along with Baranka).

NYR469 03-01-2007 09:18 AM

depends on when his junior season ends...sudbury hasn't clinched yet but will most likely make the playoffs. figure 1st round takes 2 weeks, if they get eliminated in round 1 that puts you at april 1st. rangers would have only 4 games left after that...they could give him a quick look but it would likely make more sense to send him direction to hartford to get extra games to adjust there to ready for the ahl playoffs...

and if sudbury wins their first round series then the rangers season will be over when he is available.

Anthony Mauro 03-01-2007 09:20 AM

I really don't see the difference between playing Rachunek and Staal as of now. Rachunek's gaffes will be Staal's rookie mistakes. :dunno:

What I'd most like is for the Rangers to play great hockey from now until the time Staal is done with his season, and make playing him that much easier.

Though, Hartford is his most likely destination.

NYR469 03-01-2007 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Il Ragazzone (Post 8313652)
I really don't see the difference between playing Rachunek and Staal as of now. Rachunek's gaffes will be Staal's rookie mistakes. :dunno:

What I'd most like is for the Rangers to play great hockey from now until the time Staal is done with his season, and make playing him that much easier.

the difference is that staal can't play with the rangers until his junior season is over so playing him isn't an option.

clmetsfan 03-01-2007 09:22 AM

This coaching staff likes to bring up the young kids, then scratch them and have them sit in the booth with an assistant. They feel that it's a good learning experience, essentially watching a live game tape with a coach.

Given that, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Staal called up later this season, but only if the team is officially eliminated from the playoffs.

Anthony Mauro 03-01-2007 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYR469 (Post 8313667)
the difference is that staal can't play with the rangers until his junior season is over so playing him isn't an option.

That's a given. The comment was more towards the line of how Rachunek is playing.

NYR469 03-01-2007 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clmetsfan (Post 8313681)
This coaching staff likes to bring up the young kids, then scratch them and have them sit in the booth with an assistant. They feel that it's a good learning experience, essentially watching a live game tape with a coach.

Given that, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Staal called up later this season, but only if the team is officially eliminated from the playoffs.

they haven't really done that with any of the real prospects. they have done it with guys like pock, lampman and immonen who imo management doesn't see as part of the long term future. but i don't remember it being done with guys like dubinsky, callahan, korpikoski, baranka, etc.

bleedblue94 03-01-2007 10:43 AM

MUCH rather see him go to hartford only bc last year in the playoffs he seemed over matched at times with the speed... and only bc as he and maloney said with his junior team he plays so many minutes he paces himself throughout the games, but once he comes to the pros he needs to go all out every shift and it takes some time for him to adjust to that

Taz 03-01-2007 10:53 AM

He needs to go to Hartford, he had zero offence in the games last season in hartford and his stats are down from last year also, he also needs to adjust to the pro game and then we can see at training camp if he is ready for the big leagues.

BDubinskyNYR17* 03-01-2007 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYR469 (Post 8313766)
they haven't really done that with any of the real prospects. they have done it with guys like pock, lampman and immonen who imo management doesn't see as part of the long term future. but i don't remember it being done with guys like dubinsky, callahan, korpikoski, baranka, etc.

Callahan and Dawes played on the 4th line with 4 mins of ice. That will do great for a rookie. :dunno: :shakehead When Elias was hurt, the Devils called up Tackallson and put him in Elias's place. Why cant we play our rookies like that? Why call up Isbister, instead of Callahan or Dawes??

-31- 03-01-2007 11:27 AM

I envision him playing in the NHL when his season is over

Nich 03-01-2007 11:33 AM

get him to hartford

Inferno 03-01-2007 11:40 AM

yeah, weve all been worried about bad habits hes developed in juniors. doesnt he playe something insane like 40 minutes a night? thats crazy, im sure he paces himself, and thats in instant ticket to the dog house in the nhl.

eco's bones 03-01-2007 11:46 AM

He will probably go to Hartford--but if the Rangers are already out of it and if they've made a decision that Rachunek is not going to be coming back--I think there is a possibility we'll see Staal or maybe even Baranka. To me there would be no point in playing a Rachunek you're not going to re-sign when you can give a valuable experience to someone who has a future with the team.

Edge 03-01-2007 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taz (Post 8314762)
He needs to go to Hartford, he had zero offence in the games last season in hartford and his stats are down from last year also, he also needs to adjust to the pro game and then we can see at training camp if he is ready for the big leagues.

His stats are overblown, he is not an offensive defenseman.

Unfortunatly last year, people saw numbers and began to go in the wrong direction.

shoothepuck 03-01-2007 05:54 PM

He should go to Hartford.

Fletch 03-01-2007 07:23 PM

Staal should go...

to wherever he best fits. There are plenty of 18-20 year old defensemen playing in this league. Staal seemed like a guy who was not intimated by the NHL speed, or physical play. If he has a good camp, he should be in the lineup. My gut tells me that because he's 20, he'll get an automatic pass to Hartford to be seasoned, but in all honesty, there are 20 year old defensemen in this league and there and there isn't ay reason why Staal shouldn't have an opportunity to be one also.

SPG 03-01-2007 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletch (Post 8323258)
to wherever he best fits. There are plenty of 18-20 year old defensemen playing in this league. Staal seemed like a guy who was not intimated by the NHL speed, or physical play. If he has a good camp, he should be in the lineup. My gut tells me that because he's 20, he'll get an automatic pass to Hartford to be seasoned, but in all honesty, there are 20 year old defensemen in this league and there and there isn't ay reason why Staal shouldn't have an opportunity to be one also.

Which 18-20 year old dmen are currently playing in this league? Not doubting you, but I can't think of any off the top of my head and I'm curious who you're referring to.

frozenrubber 03-01-2007 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPG (Post 8325802)
Which 18-20 year old dmen are currently playing in this league? Not doubting you, but I can't think of any off the top of my head and I'm curious who you're referring to.

Meszaros and Seabrook both did, but they are now 21...

dank 03-01-2007 10:21 PM

Marc-Edouard Vlasic (1987, Sharks)

he's played 63 games so far with the Sharks..

E-Train 03-01-2007 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPG (Post 8325802)

Card and Funk from Buffalo as well. The have each gotten in a few games, Baranka now near the end of his 21 year old season hasn't had a sniff.

ATLANTARANGER* 03-02-2007 05:22 AM

He sruggled a little last spring in Hartford. So in my mind that is where he should go to get accilimated. My plan would to give him a game or two with the big squad if we are out of the running by calling him up and playing him in the last 2 games of the season.