HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   The Jagr's team is back (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=352748)

94now 03-01-2007 09:43 AM

The Jagr's team is back

Quote:

With Shanahan out of the line-up, the offense was geared completely toward Jagr, and with Ward dispatched to Boston, a direct challenge to Jagr's captaincy and style of play was excised. That may not be welcome news to fans who prefer a different style of play, but it is the only style of play that has been successful for the Rangers for any stretch of time in the past ten years
http://ordinaryleastsquare.typepad.c...shirtbulletin/
Are you happy with it?

WheresBarnaby 03-01-2007 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94now (Post 8313916)

No, If we forget everything we've learned so far and try to play that way again, then I would encourage everyone on this board to not watch another game this season. We tried to play that way at the begining of the year and it was a joke. Every team expected it, and saw the Rangers coming from a mile away. Only recently with scoring coming from every line, and the team moving away from the give the puck to Jagr mentality, have we played better-even when we've lost. If this article is suggesting as it seems that we go back to that, then there will be no playoffs gauranteed, and this year will have meant nothing. As it stands now there's a good chance we won't make it, but at least the team has grown, and holes have been filled.

ThirdEye 03-01-2007 09:56 AM

Honestly it doesn't really matter to me anymore. As long as they manage to win the important games ahead I don't care who the team is playing behind or for

I Am Chariot 03-01-2007 09:58 AM

Yes if we win they can serve Goulash at every pre game meal for all I care

Kodiak 03-01-2007 10:01 AM

The whole Ward-Jagr thing is completely overblown. Ward started the season strong but his play had tailed off significantly. Rumors had been swirling around him for some time. He gets into a shouting match with Jagr, gets scratched THREE WEEKS later (and directly after a game in which he was partially responsible for the game-tying goal), and then traded at the deadline, and somehow this is all Jagr's fault.

As for your original question, I'll take any style that will add to the W column.

ThirdEye 03-01-2007 10:04 AM

I'm pretty sure Ward wanted out of there much more than Jagr wanted him out

Dagoon44 03-01-2007 10:20 AM

We only sided with Jagr cause Dolan is a moron and has no sense. He has lost total control of his industry. The Knicks and Rangers once again are on the outside looking in. Jagr won cause Sather didn't hae the balls to pull off a trade that could have stocked the farm for years to come. Smith gAVE the Oilers built in rebuild same with the Flyers with their deal.

ChrisKreider20 03-01-2007 10:31 AM

Our farm isn't even that bad....we can still build a team with various first rounders (look at detroit)... As much as Jagr would garner, were stuck with him (he has a partial no-trade clause, which he deferred 1 million for), and despite our struggles an offense where Jagr has all the attention and Jagr feels in control is the strongest - thats the only way we're gonna win. As much as I like Shanahan, there was always a part of me that questioned how this would threaten Jagr, and trust me it has. Jagr's the captain, Shanny's the leader... that is an akward situation. Jagr IS our franchise player, and until he retires our offense will be geared around him. (or until he gets old and his production gets crappy and we send him to Hartford and says he is injured just to screw us).

SML 03-01-2007 10:35 AM

I think they've done a pretty good job of restocking the farm. Jagr, even though he's not playing as well as last season, is still a great deal for the money WE have to pay him. I don't think many other teams at this point would have dealt for him because he'd throw their cap out of whack for next year. I'd hold onto him for now, because when he reaches the end of his contract, I think he becomes a much more attractive rental to serious contenders who can add him for a cup run and then wish him well as he heads back to Europe.

ChrisKreider20 03-01-2007 10:39 AM

Its alot of money, but at least its not league Max...a player of Jagr's caliber for under 5 million is a bargain.

007 03-01-2007 10:43 AM

What does everyone expect? Even with Shanahan in the lineup, Jagr is the best player on this team. To argue otherwise is just silly. Without Shanny or even Straka to back him up, the team has to lean on Jagr for scoring. Where else is it going to come from, Avery?

We should be glad that we have a guy like Jagr on the team. For all the bellyaching coming out of some people, the guy is still on pace for a 100 point season. I don't think he forced Ward out. On the contrary, Ward is more at fault for having gone to the papers with a gripe more than a month after the fact. I understand why Jagr would be pissed off. Regardless, I think Ward for Mara is a trade that the Rangers would have made any day, whether there were lockerroom problems or not.

SML 03-01-2007 10:47 AM

Ward seems to be a very matter of fact guy. If you ask him a question, he will answer it and if something is on his mind, he says it. I don't know if he went to the media to intentionally air dirty laundry. He seems to go against that code of keeping things private. I mean, have you ever heard of a guy breaking news of his own trade to the media before the guy he was traded for even knew about it? The thing with Jagr was probably made out to be bigger than it really was, but it doesn't really matter now.

007 03-01-2007 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SML (Post 8314682)
Ward seems to be a very matter of fact guy. If you ask him a question, he will answer it and if something is on his mind, he says it. I don't know if he went to the media to intentionally air dirty laundry. He seems to go against that code of keeping things private. I mean, have you ever heard of a guy breaking news of his own trade to the media before the guy he was traded for even knew about it? The thing with Jagr was probably made out to be bigger than it really was, but it doesn't really matter now.

You're right, but as much as I like people with Ward's personality, I think that procedurally it's not the best way of going about things, whatever his intentions were.

And I think both Jagr and Ward have tried to make it known that the papers blew everything out of proportion. The TSN draft day show noted that Ward blew off the whole Jagr-spat, saying that it was a concoction of the NY media.

GarretJoseph 03-01-2007 11:04 AM

Lets just lean on Hossa.. :bow:

Chimp 03-01-2007 11:20 AM

Jagr was quite upset about this when he spoke to the media. He told them he didn't have any issue with Ward, it was just one of those of many times where he critizised a teammate for not playing the way he wants them to play and Ward wasn't happy about it. These kind of situations can occur quite often in any sports team or any working place.

He said something in the lines with "I've told Nylander to pass me the puck 50 million times and there hasn't been any issue with that."

This whole Ward - Jagr dispute is seriously overblown.

HockeyBasedNYC 03-01-2007 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarretJoseph (Post 8314910)

If Hossa pots another one tonight im gonna go ballistic. :innocent:

WhipNash27 03-01-2007 11:26 AM

Quote:

Hossa will lead the Rangers to the Cup!:bow:

ThirdEye 03-01-2007 11:33 AM

Quote:

That's a pretty horrible idea

BigE 03-01-2007 11:36 AM

It seems unfair to judge after only one game.

I'd also put my reputation on the line in saying that the days of the FLY line (those brief three months) would probably qualify as the most successful Ranger "stretch" of the last ten years. We were first in the conference, first in the division, and for a brief moment first in the league. The team had it all: superb goaltending, flexible defense, and a few solid lines to play behind probably the best line in hockey at the time.

WhipNash27 03-01-2007 11:41 AM

Ward was traded not because he got into an arguement with Jagr but because he went to the media with it after he was scratched. He sealed his own fate

94now 03-01-2007 11:42 AM

Quote:

Hossa is a supporting actor AKA "a Board Digger" in JJs show "Cycling on Ice".

BigE 03-01-2007 11:43 AM

Ward didn't go with it to the media. It's been widely reported that it was Jagr, but Jagr denies and condones how the argument leaked.

Lets not be bias or anything.

clmetsfan 03-01-2007 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnthonyF27 (Post 8315504)
Ward was traded not because he got into an arguement with Jagr but because he went to the media with it after he was scratched. He sealed his own fate

This is a great point. The spat with Jagr had happened well before the media found out about it, which is probably why Jaro was so upset that it had suddenly become a story.

clmetsfan 03-01-2007 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigE (Post 8315534)
Ward didn't go with it to the media. It's been widely reported that it was Jagr, but Jagr denies and condones how the argument leaked.

Lets not be bias or anything.

Where did you see that Jagr is the one who made it a story? Everything I read had quotes from him that basically said the media was trying to revive an incident that had already been quelled.

Prucha25Graves988* 03-01-2007 11:49 AM

I think its no big deal and who the hell cares.Everyone gets into arguments and disagreements,so it happens. with that i must say its widely over blown, its ridiculous.