HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Rennys Comments From Last Spring (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=353518)

I Am Chariot 03-03-2007 12:38 AM

Rennys Comments From Last Spring

I recall at the final press conference after the season, or there abouts, someone threw out the question "what about next season?" and Renny said something like,

"We may take a step back....."

WheresBarnaby 03-03-2007 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cycleandshoot (Post 8345887)
I recall at the final press conference after the season, or there abouts, someone threw out the question "what about next season?" and Renny said something like,

Well we have, but it's also been a step in the right direction. We're a better team this year than last, despite what the record shows. We just need to be much more consistant. Overall we're much more balanced though. Give us another year or two, and I think this team will be more of a contender. Especially with the prospects we have coming down the line. I think we're all still expecting too much from a team that's still finding itself. Myself very much included.

I Am Chariot 03-03-2007 12:58 AM

Theyve been consistant about the future of the Rangers being in Hartford, but according to Sather and I suppose Renny

Those kids are just not ready yet.

Who did we see this season?

Callahan for a minute
Dawes for a minute and a half
Pock for Two minutes
Girardi gets a real shot and makes the most of it.

And the guys holding on here...........

Marcel Hossa- Maybe Renny has been right all along

Tyutin- Gets better and better

Prucha - Maybe not as many goals but another year experienced , and since he's back on the pp has looked good

Henrik Lundqvist - Another year experienced still putting up good numbers

Who will make it Next year?

HVPOLARBEARS19 03-03-2007 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WheresBarnaby (Post 8345968)
Well we have, but it's also been a step in the right direction. We're a better team this year than last, despite what the record shows. We just need to be much more consistant. Overall we're much more balanced though. Give us another year or two, and I think this team will be more of a contender. Especially with the prospects we have coming down the line. I think we're all still expecting too much from a team that's still finding itself. Myself very much included.

I fail to see how taking a step back is a step in the right direction.
This has not been a step in the right direction at all. No new young players have made the team, we've filled the lineup with crappy older players like Isbister and Krog instead of playing our young guys, we continued to play Malik, Rachunek, Ozo when he was healthy, and Roszival and didn't give our young guys a shot and we are not a better team this year than we were last year.

free0717 03-03-2007 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HVPOLARBEARS19 (Post 8346912)
This has not been a step in the right direction at all. No new young players have made the team, we've filled the lineup with crappy older players like Isbister and Krog instead of playing our young guys, we continued to play Malik, Rachunek, Ozo when he was healthy, and Roszival and didn't give our young guys a shot and we are not a better team this year than we were last year.

Just wait a couple of years, eventually we will get to a point like Buffalo where we may not have a great superstar on the first line but we have 3-4 lines that can score and everytime we have an injury, we can just call up someone from the minors. The differance will be that we will have the ability to spend to the cap to keep our good players. Buffalo is close to the cap now, but next year, no way they can afford to get anywhere near 48 million. But I think Buffalo is a great team to model because they rarely trade there draft picks( did trade a first Round Draft pick for Dubrus). They just keep drafting and Developing. I think at any point, we have to be careful and keep our Draft Picks. Even if we think we can win a cup, I believe your organization really takes a hit when you trade your high picks.
If we want to build a contender every year, we have to stay away from the rental game.

Finest 03-03-2007 07:19 AM

For once they seem to have some what of a game plan and are sticking to it, no complaints from me in that regaurd.

Stoney La Rock 03-03-2007 07:41 AM

Quote:

Since he knew that last season, do you think I could ask him to pick the lottery numbers for me? It's up to $314 million!:)

WheresBarnaby 03-03-2007 07:46 AM

Quote:

Ozo and Krog are no longer here. We've got Pock and and Tyutin who are basically rookies still. Girardi had earned a spot. Prucha's and Lundqvist are in their second seasons. Staal by all accounts will be a Ranger next season, Sanguinetti is possible in a few seasons, we just traded for Bourret who might be an NHL guy soon. We've also got an extra third round pick next year. So I don't buy the whole we're not playing any young guys thing.

As far as old guys go, our oldest guy's are also our scoring leaders. We should get rid of them? For more rookies? You wanna trade Jagr, I'm down in a second- but Nylander, Straka, and especially Shanny no way.

I Am Chariot 03-03-2007 10:13 AM

Quote:

Well as much as we might be anxious to have those kids here, the Powers in charge feel they are net ready to make the jump.

That being the case I'd rather they stop the gap with a Krog or Ibister than paying for some other costly vet untill the kids are ready

Frustrating when since we DO see the present team play 50 minutes of great hockey and blow the game in the end.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 03-03-2007 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AHall18NYR (Post 8346551)
next year we will see Korikoski and Byers for 2 mins each. then staal for 6 mins on defense and dubinsky will get ice time of 4 mins combinded in 2 games. Maybe callahan will get more than 4 mins next year, maybe he will get 7 -10 for a game, maybe 2.

Oh stop. How many times do you need to post this. Stop regurgitating the same stuff and really look at this team. Look at the young guys playing. And look at how the team got younger this season. Just stop and think before you post.

NYR fan 2 03-03-2007 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway (Post 8348613)
Oh stop. How many times do you need to post this. Stop regurgitating the same stuff and really look at this team. Look at the young guys playing. And look at how the team got younger this season. Just stop and think before you post.

I have to agree here.

Avery- 26
Betts- 27
Girardi- 22
Hollweg- 23
Hossa- 25
Mara- 27
Ortmeyer- 28
Prucha-24
Rachunek- 28
Rozsival- 28
Tyutin- 23

Lundvist- 25 (birthday was yesterday)

Not including Lundqvist thats 11/18 of everyday players under the age of 28 (If you count Orr as an everyday player than its 12 because he is 25 today). Thats very young still.

Thirty One 03-03-2007 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway (Post 8348613)

THANK YOU.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 03-03-2007 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYR fan 2 (Post 8349257)
I have to agree here.

Avery- 26
Betts- 27
Girardi- 22
Hollweg- 23
Hossa- 25
Mara- 27
Ortmeyer- 28
Prucha-24
Rachunek- 28
Rozsival- 28
Tyutin- 23

Lundvist- 25 (birthday was yesterday)

Not including Lundqvist thats 11/18 of everyday players under the age of 28 (If you count Orr as an everyday player than its 12 because he is 25 today). Thats very young still.

While subtracting Hall, Ward, Ward, Ozo and Kaspar.

jas 03-03-2007 01:51 PM

And the way things look today, we should be on our way to snagging a top ten pick. Do I dare dream of us selecting Kyle Turris?

The Thomas J.* 03-03-2007 03:38 PM

Quote:

1. Stop Killing Malik, The guy has been solid, has he made mistakes, yes he has, some glaring mistakes, but he does so many little things that go unnoticed y the casual fan. Malik HAS not been the prolem.

Ozo was always healthly, he got his shot, and fot the money they were paying him he had to be given the shot, once it was clear that he was not an NHL caliber Defensemen anymore he was put though waivers & sent down, Than he claimed to e injured.

3.as i write this Rachunek just stole the puck and set Avery up for a GTG, he aside from flashs has been HORRIBLE hes a 6th or 7th Defensemen @ best.

4.Rosi asfter struggleing earlier in the season has been for the most part solid, he has to shoot the puck more and stop force feeding Jagr, even Jagr has told him to shoot more.

as far as the other two players you mentioned they are filler players who are either not here or wont be here, althoush isbister has been a solid PK and 4th liner since he was called up.

its a process and yes, its frustrating at times, but compared to where we were 3 years ago, I'll take now over than any day of the week, month or year!
:wave: :vhappy:

In the end this stand for everything we want to acheive! :stanley:

SingnBluesOnBroadway 03-03-2007 03:50 PM

Personally I have always felt there was a better chance that this team would miss the playoffs than go deep in the playoffs (however, if they get in, they will be interesting to watch). That said, I feel better about this team moving forward than I did last season. Here's why:

1) Younger on the blueline. Tyutin, Girardi, Mara are all under 28. Ozo, Kaspar and Ward are gone. Tyutin has been much more consistent this season. Girardi has been surprising solid and can be a great unsung 5-6 guy. I think Mara is going to be good here. Always liked him.

2) Avery, Prucha and Hossa up front. Young guys who can play meaningful minutes. Any of them can play on any of the top three lines.

3) Adding to the stockpile of prospects. Bourret fills a huge need (top six forward).

4) Our prospects are a year closer (i.e. Staal, Callahan)

5) A fair amount of cash to spend in the offseason.

6) Lundqvist had a solid season and has been really good in the second half.

7) This team seems to have abandoned the quick-fix mentality via trade.

I think that things bode well for the future. If things had gone differently with the moves they made over the last 5 weeks, I might have felt differently.

jas 03-03-2007 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway (Post 8352150)
Personally I have always felt there was a better chance that this team would miss the playoffs than go deep in the playoffs (however, if they get in, they will be interesting to watch). That said, I feel better about this team moving forward than I did last season. Here's why:

1) Younger on the blueline. Tyutin, Girardi, Mara are all under 28. Ozo, Kaspar and Ward are gone. Tyutin has been much more consistent this season. Girardi has been surprising solid and can be a great unsung 5-6 guy. I think Mara is going to be good here. Always liked him.

2) Avery, Prucha and Hossa up front. Young guys who can play meaningful minutes. Any of them can play on any of the top three lines.

3) Adding to the stockpile of prospects. Bourret fills a huge need (top six forward).

4) Our prospects are a year closer (i.e. Staal, Callahan)

5) A fair amount of cash to spend in the offseason.

6) Lundqvist had a solid season and has been really good in the second half.

7) This team seems to have abandoned the quick-fix mentality via trade.

I think that things bode well for the future. If things had gone differently with the moves they made over the last 5 weeks, I might have felt differently.

8) The majority of the team in Hartford is made up of players taken in from 2003 and beyond. One of the youngest teams in the AHL, and they've been among the best since Christmas

SingnBluesOnBroadway 03-03-2007 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jas (Post 8352338)
8) The majority of the team in Hartford is made up of players taken in from 2003 and beyond. One of the youngest teams in the AHL, and they've been among the best since Christmas

Great addition jas. Thanks.

jas 03-03-2007 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway (Post 8352374)
Great addition jas. Thanks.

Actually, SBOB, that is the one that has me most excited, and gives me the most hope. It's verification that these guys might just have an idea of what they are doing. Seeing Korpi start to find his game, Callahan take the league by, um, storm, Montoya continuing to shine, and even guys like Jessiman and Potter STARTING to develop their games, says al lot about the organizational structure and the teaching these guys get.

I Am Chariot 03-03-2007 10:41 PM

You guys make some excellent points....

Cygnus 03-04-2007 02:31 PM

Quote:

Larry Brooks predicted they'd win The Cup. :dunno:

jas 03-04-2007 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cygnus (Post 8364215)
Larry Brooks predicted they'd win The Cup. :dunno:

Which is why Larry hasn't quit his day job.

HVPOLARBEARS19 03-04-2007 03:16 PM

Hey all, just wanna say that my post was made at a bit of a bad time, so everyone can relax :) We were losing and some other stupid stuff was going on, so just wanted to clear that up.
Next, I just have a question. Everyone is pointing to Girardi as a young guy who made the team, but what does everyone think about his future? I don't know, but it doesn't seem like he's going to be a long term solution, he seems like a guy that will be used as trade bait during the offseason or something like that. I was just curious as to what everyone sees for Girardi.

Cygnus 03-05-2007 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jas (Post 8364720)
Which is why Larry hasn't quit his day job.

That is his day job. :doh:

I miss the days when Slap Shots was actually about hockey, the players and teams. Now it's all about the business of hockey and how evil the 7th Avenue suits are.