HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Minnesota Wild (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Trade (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=35603)

MN_Gopher 12-12-2003 07:40 PM

Trade

With two # 1 goalies, in a losing season thus far, do we tade one of them? It was easy keepig them happy last year, we were winning, made the playoffs and were having fun. I know it is still early and if we go on a streak like we did to start the season last year we will be in the 6-8 spot again. But it s obvious that we need help, we had one of our best younger D men up this year and he did not cut it, Michalek is like a -14 in houston, Wanvig, Vellieux, and Wallin are coming along but they had their chances and show they still need work. The rangers, isles and atlanta are looking to make the make playoffs and have poor GA. Do we shop one now, later, after the seaon, or never. And who? Rolo IMO is playing better, only by a small margin, Manny is younger.

aylib 12-12-2003 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MN_Gopher
With two # 1 goalies, in a losing season thus far, do we tade one of them? It was easy keepig them happy last year, we were winning, made the playoffs and were having fun. I know it is still early and if we go on a streak like we did to start the season last year we will be in the 6-8 spot again. But it s obvious that we need help, we had one of our best younger D men up this year and he did not cut it, Michalek is like a -14 in houston, Wanvig, Vellieux, and Wallin are coming along but they had their chances and show they still need work. The rangers, isles and atlanta are looking to make the make playoffs and have poor GA. Do we shop one now, later, after the seaon, or never. And who? Rolo IMO is playing better, only by a small margin, Manny is younger.

The 3 teams that you have mentioned:
Isles have DiPietro as their #1, he is on pace for over 50 games, Snow is a decent backup, although they do need some sort of shakup on the oong isalnd.
Atl has a log jam with Nurminen, Dafoe, Hurme, Lehtonen. I dont know if they would be willing to add another one to the mix.
NYR-Fernandez/Roloson aren't a proven upgrade over Dunham.
I dont thin'k a goalie is a hot item in the NHL these days.
Myself, I would rather see one of the skaters being traded if there was a trade coming our way.

thestonedkoala 12-12-2003 08:32 PM

Fernandez isn't worth a lot I'm sorry to say on the market.

Trade some of our guys at the deadline, their value will be slightly higher because of teams pushing to the playoffs.

Dan-o 12-15-2003 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thestonedkoala
Fernandez isn't worth a lot I'm sorry to say on the market.

Where did you hear this? He hasn't had any injury problems and his save % is around .920 I believe. I don't know what we could get for him, but I don't think his value is lower than any other goalie.

thestonedkoala 12-15-2003 05:43 PM

It's just the market Dan-O. In a regular season, his value would be high but not this season and we only have him for one year. His value is probably roughly a 2nd or 3rd rounder...depends on if a lot of goalies go down.

But when you got Atlanta, Calgary, Toronto, Edmonton, Buffalo, Detroit, all wanting to get rid of their goalies...you kind of have a problem.

MN_Gopher 12-15-2003 08:32 PM

i realize that the market is down. But dont, Salo, Cujo, Belfour, all have nice big contracts, Rolo and Manny may be more cost effient and still allow a team to get anothe player too. i was only hoping for a pick, 2nd of 3rd or a young hot shot potential scorer in the ahl with no d skills. But last year both goalies have proven they can compete in the playoffs. And when it comes down goalies that have won. Hasek, Brodeur, Roy, Osgood, Belfour, and i think thats about it the last years.

CechMY5HOLEman-ek! 12-17-2003 03:56 AM

I still don't think either Wild goalie will land much. Despite their regular season success, neither is a well known name, neither has dominated in the playoffs (why exactly did Lemaire rotate them in the playoffs? Because the other wasn't playing well enough to win...it's doubtful Roli would have won the COL series and equally doubtful Manny would have won the VAN series), and neither has put up numbers over an extended period of time yet (multiple consecutive seasons).

Furthermore, there is an absolute glut of quality goalies in the NHL which drives down the need and trade value. This will get even worse later in the season when more teams will be looking to dump salary.

Lastly, any team that would really desire to make the effort to trade for a goalie would be a team that wants to win (i.e. a playoff calibre team). Chances are slim to none that any of those teams would trade for either of our goalies with the intention of having them be their starter. That leaves the purpose of their acquisition to gain a higher quality backup goalie (making a decent chunk of change).

That doesn't sound like it will land much. One might want to question the tradeoff as well, especially when one considers there is no guarantee the goalie left will perform up to snuff once he's more or less handed the starting job.