HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   The New York Rangers PP Units (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=356559)

MisterUnspoken 03-10-2007 03:00 PM

The New York Rangers PP Units

The New York Rangers have two PP units.

1) The puck movement, perfect play unit. This unit is the single most useless PP unit in the NHL. They literally do nothing for 1:35 seconds before the 2nd PP unit comes on. Chances to shoot do not register with these guys.

2) The shoot first crash the net PP unit which is actually good. They control the puck by cycling, forechecking when needed, and shoot the puck constantly and crash for rebounds. Guess what this works and gets the opponent off of their game.

I want to see that unit get 1:35 of PP time and that POS PP unit that consists of Jagr, Nylander, et al get :25 to pass the puck before they give up another short handed goal.

I can't believe Tom Renney plays the 1st unit so much when THEY FAIL TO DO ANYTHING!! :shakehead

SingnBluesOnBroadway 03-10-2007 03:01 PM

I'd swap the point guys. Let Mara and Cullen play on the first unit. With the way the PP runs from the half boards through Jagr, there are a ton of open shots from the point.

MisterUnspoken 03-10-2007 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway (Post 8453233)
I'd swap the point guys. Let Mara and Cullen play on the first unit. With the way the PP runs from the half boards through Jagr, there are a ton of open shots from the point.

Anything to get someone who will shoot on both PP units. Shanny was about the only person worth a damn on that first PP unit earlier in the season. Now it's hopeless.

Madness 03-10-2007 03:09 PM

Nylander, Jagr, Avery or Prucha, Mara, Rachunek.

Rozsival and Straka have to shoot when they play the point on the pp, if they can't shoot then Mara or/and Rachunek should play the point instead.

bleedrngrblue 03-10-2007 03:35 PM

I'd use Mara / Rachunek on the first unit.....and Girardi with Rozsival the second......but Renney will never do that. And tell them all that they are to keep shooting from the point like it is a drill and their lives depend on it!

nyr7andcounting 03-10-2007 04:03 PM

Put Cullen on the first PP unit instead of Straka. This way we don't have Jagr on the boards and 4 guys trying to pass it to Jagr. Cullen will take shots and open up room for Jagr.

Plus Straka would help the 2nd unit because he can carry the puck up ice, they don't have a guy to do it right now.

Inferno 03-10-2007 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken (Post 8453202)
The New York Rangers have two PP units.

1) The puck movement, perfect play unit. This unit is the single most useless PP unit in the NHL. They literally do nothing for 1:35 seconds before the 2nd PP unit comes on. Chances to shoot do not register with these guys.

2) The shoot first crash the net PP unit which is actually good. They control the puck by cycling, forechecking when needed, and shoot the puck constantly and crash for rebounds. Guess what this works and gets the opponent off of their game.

I want to see that unit get 1:35 of PP time and that POS PP unit that consists of Jagr, Nylander, et al get :25 to pass the puck before they give up another short handed goal.

I can't believe Tom Renney plays the 1st unit so much when THEY FAIL TO DO ANYTHING!! :shakehead

i just dont like the way they are setting up one bit.

they have guys in front, they dont shoot.

they dont have guys in front, they shoot.

i dont get it one bit.

the loss of shanahan really really has hurt us. then its been compounded with the losses of Jagr, Hossa, and Straka.

Straka just isnt a PP player right now. he should be a 3rd liner. i credit him for gutting it out, but the way hes playing, he cant do much but skate.

Ola 03-10-2007 04:15 PM

Prucha-Nylander-Avery
Mara-Jagr
(if healty)

Let Nylander handle the puck, on the left side behind the net, with Prucha out by the boards on the left side, and Avery infront of the net.

That would open up allot of ice for Mara. Teams would mark Jagr hard on the right point.

Jagr would be in a much smaller role, but would be able to create allot after the initial shots from Mara and Prucha.

It wouldn't be a great PP unit, but it would be decent.

We need to really break up that first unit for a while. Try something completly new.

NYR94 03-10-2007 04:43 PM

Good topic, you beat me to it, because this was one of the biggest things on my mind after the game. I'm just sick of the first unit's passing exhibitions. And I've been saying for months that Rachunek should be on the first unit instead of Rozsival. Now that we have Mara he should be there too. We heard from the Boston fans that Mara was being misused by Lewis because he wasn't getting enough power play time. So now he's buried behind Michal Rozsival of all people? Give me a break.

The fact of the matter is Nylander, Rozsival and Straka (when he's on the point) pass up too many shooting opportunities. Straka with the hurt shoulder gets some benefit of the doubt right now because of the injury, but even when he was healthy and on the point his tendency was to always pass back to Jagr or Nylander.

At least guys like Cullen, Mara, Rachunek and Avery shoot the puck. Shanny when he was healthy goes with that group.

If it weren't for the injury to Tyutin, I wouldn't have Rozsival play any power play time. Let Mara, Cullen, Rachunek and Tyutin be the 4 point men.

Pizza 03-10-2007 06:53 PM

These guys(on the 1st unit)catch a lot of flack for passing the puck too much. Today they proved all their critics right. No shots on those two crucial PP's when we had a 2-0 lead absolutely set the stage for what followed. It's one thing if you don't score in the attempt, but not shooting at all gives you no chance at all. The first unit seems to be waiting for Jagr to get his shot back, and it's just not happening. Cullen and Marra worked a beautiful play the other night against the isles, get them out there and Prucha will swat in the rebounds.

VJ Rangerfan 03-10-2007 07:46 PM

Rangers PP w/out Jags

Do you think without Jags playing tomorrow the PP will be better?

It seems with him and Nylander on the ice together they both like to skate and look around, without Jags only once will dipsy doodle around while the rest will look to shoot.

John Torturella 03-10-2007 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VJ Rangerfan (Post 8456674)
Do you think without Jags playing tomorrow the PP will be better?

It seems with him and Nylander on the ice together they both like to skate and look around, without Jags only once will dipsy doodle around while the rest will look to shoot.

If Cullen is on the point yes. You notice how every time the second PP unit comes out they double up the 1st units chances when they have a quarter of the time?

ATLANTARANGER* 03-10-2007 09:10 PM

Straka needs to be removed from the point. The 2nd unit needs to get 1st unit minutes. Jagr needs to be removed as well. If he is not going to shoot, sit him until he gets the message to shoot.

Thor God of Thunder 03-11-2007 12:54 AM

At this rate, the Rangers would be better off just forfeiting their power play opportunities. I mean, you don't score goals or win games by passing, so what's the point when that's all they do?

True Blue 03-11-2007 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway (Post 8453233)

There's more to it than that. Straka and Rozsival are just not good pointmen. The utter refusal to shoot and the "pass-to-Jagr at any chance" mentality turns the unit into a joke. Watchning them pass the puck to each other without any thought of shooting actually got comical. But watching them repeat the same procedure exactly the same way the 2nd time around was more than frustrating. Renney had to do something at that point and he refused to do so. I know that Jagr feels comfortable with Straka and Rozsival, but they are useless. Mara, Cullen, Pock, Rachunek....are ALL more effective on the point.

polako 03-11-2007 10:08 AM

i agree. the whole JJ at the half boards strategy works well under two conditions:

1) We have a healthy JJ; one who could make a quick turn in from the boards and let go a healthy wrist shot (a la last season's JJ)

2) We have a point man with a hard, low, accurate shot that is ready to shoot everytime JJ feeds him. JJ always attracts the PK killing forward, so that would theoretically free up our R pointman for a clear shot

Currently, the first PP unit has neither of these. Let's see Rachunek and Mara on the first unit.

I Am Chariot 03-11-2007 10:10 PM

The NY Rangers Powerplay

How many Powerplays have we had the last few games where we failed to TAKE A SHOT?

Renny has such patience.

I would love to see him put a special duty PP unit togeather

Hollweg, Betts, Orr

Rachunek and Mara

and just give them ONE obvious directive.

Shoot the puck. Don't think pass, think shoot

Bird Law 03-11-2007 10:16 PM

The only thing that PP would be good for is when Jordan Staal is on the ice (since the dude is amazing at getting SH goals).

I Am Chariot 03-11-2007 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Rx (Post 8469747)
The only thing that PP would be good for is when Jordan Staal is on the ice (since the dude is amazing at getting SH goals).

I would accept that if we could than make the real PP unit watch the video for a few hours the following day

blue2noise 03-12-2007 07:55 PM

The Power Play fix shouldn't be so difficult

All Renney needs to do is take the "passing" unit and the "shooting" unit and scramble up the players, giving a good mix of shooters and passers on both.

My units would look something like this...

#1 - Jagr - Nylander - Avery D: Cullen - Mara

#2 - Prucha - Straka - Isbister D: Rozsival - Rachunek

Obviously Shanny and Hossa take some of these spots when they come back.

It is ridiculous to say "oh, here comes the unit that shoots". Mix it up to give an even combo of shooters, point shooters and setup men.

DutchShamrock 03-13-2007 12:57 PM

http://www.nypost.com/seven/03132007...rry_brooks.htm

Brooks:
Quote:

...even though the Rangers have gone 2-for-25 in 43:52 of PP advantage over the last four games, with the first unit eating nearly two-thirds of the time. He routinely goes with Straka and Rozsival on the blue line even though the second tandem of point-men, Paul Mara and Karel Rachunek, has been on the ice for three of the four PP goals the Blueshirts have registered in their last six games.
Straka didn't shoot much before he got hurt... now he doesn't shoot at all. It's no mystery how our 1st unit works. They only put pressure on the point guys when they have no passing options. They pass anyway and it is turnover at best, scoring chance and goal at worst. In the Brooks article, Renney justifies his insistance on using the 1st unit over and over again because they have "15 years" in the league. His attitude is that these guys have been around long enough and who is he to tell them how to play. The 2nd unit gets about 20-30 seconds each pp and they have at least double the scoring chances of the 1st quintet. Yet he answer isn't obvious to the coach.

mnorman1 03-13-2007 05:37 PM

3 games in 4 days, and changing up the powerplay strategy in the final period of these games? It might not have been executed properly, and ANOTHER shorthanded fluke goal could've gotten them. Better to use the two minutes to eat up the clock, take a chance or two, and guarantee the point for overtime, as a loss to Carolina in regulation would have been devastating...but I agree, the lines definitely need to be shifted now.

which leads me to another complaint - why are the rangers so terrible on 4v4?

shoothepuck 03-13-2007 06:02 PM

Both pp units are pathetic, and if they would just pick it up a bit, this team would have a few more wins. Renney needs to change the point men, and make them understand that shots are needed. NY is horrible on 4 on 4's , because they give the puck up to the other team very easily, and they have yet to learn to defend and get into the right positions in these situations, plus they seem to always pinch at the wrong time, and then no one gets back in time to defend.

geisenNYR 03-13-2007 09:14 PM

I think the first unit really needs Shany back, he will shoot at will. As of right now I think the second unit should get 1:15, and the first unit should get 45 seconds. The second unit shoots at will and the rebounds create more chances. The first unit just makes a bunch of pointless passes, and then losses the puck. As long as the second unit is generating shots they should get the bulk of the playing time. I think that Cullen has been good on the point.

nickrOck 03-13-2007 10:28 PM

anyone see the pass into the corner when nylander had a lane to the net from inside the faceoff circle tonite.? what a complete joke this teams powerplay is.. i cannot understand the mentality they carry into the powerplay..