HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Theodore's post game comments. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=35677)

zurg999 12-13-2003 07:20 AM

Theodore's post game comments.

Anyone else noticed that, more so than before this season, Theodore seems to always get his 2 cents in whenever the Habs pull off a stinker? I was reading the Yahoo Sports game recap and his comments make me cringe:

"It's unacceptable,'' Theodore said. We grab a 2-0 lead and I don't know if the players thought it was going to be 7 or 8-0 and guys were going to have a couple of points. That's not our style. We didn't play with discipline."

Before you jump all over me, it's NOT that I disagree with his assessment!!! Please read below.

I'm not sure what it does for team harmony when the goaltender keeps coming out with these types of comments. It's not that what he's saying isn't true, it's just sounds better coming from a coach or, at best, a skater who can shoulder the responsibility.

If you disagree, think about this: when was the last time a player singled Theo the $5M goaltender out for one of his poorer efforts? Wouldn't that be a story?

These comments I could fathom from a goaltender like Brodeur (a proven leader on a perennial contender). Theo must realize that he doesn't exactly have a powerhouse in front of him, and no matter how hard these guys work some nights, against whichever team, they just aren't going to get a point. Florida was coming off a 6 game winless streak and were obviously prepared to put in the effort over the last 2 periods that the Habs couldn't or wouldn't.

I think, until he's proven a lot more to the fans and his teammates, that he should keep comments like this to himself.

Habber 12-13-2003 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zurg999
These comments I could fathom from a goaltender like Brodeur (a proven leader on a perennial contender). Theo must realize that he doesn't exactly have a powerhouse in front of him, and no matter how hard these guys work some nights, against whichever team, they just aren't going to get a point. Florida was coming off a 6 game winless streak and were obviously prepared to put in the effort over the last 2 periods that the Habs couldn't or wouldn't.

I think, until he's proven a lot more to the fans and his teammates, that he should keep comments like this to himself.

Theo knows he doens't have a powerhouse in front of him, but the team didn't work hard at all, and I think it's fair for Theo to call his teammates on that. I haven't heard Theo say any negative things when the team played a good game but still lost to a better team. And on the flip side, Theo will be the first to admit he had a bad game and will accept blame for a loss. That's a sign of a leader IMO.

I for one like to see Theo take a leadership role like that, cause it doesn't seem like anyone else is. Just because he hasn't been around forever doesn't mean he can't be a leader. It's great to see him take on this role, because honestly the team rests on his shoulders so he might as well speak with words along with his play.

Mooch 12-13-2003 08:09 AM

when a goaltender gets hamered with 49 shots, i think he has every right to get all over his team and blame them. I mean common, 49. :madfire:

Thants insane. Lets just hope that his message gets through to the boys infront of him for tonights game. :rant:

Lok 12-13-2003 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zurg999
Anyone else noticed that, more so than before this season, Theodore seems to always get his 2 cents in whenever the Habs pull off a stinker? I was reading the Yahoo Sports game recap and his comments make me cringe:

"It's unacceptable,'' Theodore said. We grab a 2-0 lead and I don't know if the players thought it was going to be 7 or 8-0 and guys were going to have a couple of points. That's not our style. We didn't play with discipline."

Before you jump all over me, it's NOT that I disagree with his assessment!!! Please read below.

I'm not sure what it does for team harmony when the goaltender keeps coming out with these types of comments. It's not that what he's saying isn't true, it's just sounds better coming from a coach or, at best, a skater who can shoulder the responsibility.

If you disagree, think about this: when was the last time a player singled Theo the $5M goaltender out for one of his poorer efforts? Wouldn't that be a story?

For me this comments is good, and theo is one of the leader in this team. If all the forward and defense work hard but the habs lose 4-2 it's ok and his comment is not ok. BUT friday i see a lot of player don't work at all.....No second efforts nothing.... Someone should try to shake up this team and Theo is the guy who can do this.

Bud The Spud* 12-13-2003 08:49 AM

I think it's great that Theo spoke up and maybe his teammates will listen to that and come out with a better effort. Theo admits when he has bad games. With 49 shots, I'd be pretty pissed about the lack of effort too. :madfire:

Big Kov 12-13-2003 08:54 AM

GO THEO! Tell those biatches off. 49 shots is just ugly (especially against Florida).

KOMO_ROCKS 12-13-2003 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habber
Theo knows he doens't have a powerhouse in front of him, but the team didn't work hard at all, and I think it's fair for Theo to call his teammates on that. I haven't heard Theo say any negative things when the team played a good game but still lost to a better team. And on the flip side, Theo will be the first to admit he had a bad game and will accept blame for a loss. That's a sign of a leader IMO.

I for one like to see Theo take a leadership role like that, cause it doesn't seem like anyone else is. Just because he hasn't been around forever doesn't mean he can't be a leader. It's great to see him take on this role, because honestly the team rests on his shoulders so he might as well speak with words along with his play.

Well said :handclap:

Tricolore#20 12-13-2003 09:39 AM

I have no problem with it. As mentionned, 49 shots against the Panthers is unacceptable. The Panthers were struggling to get goals in previous games, so to allow them to have that many shots is ridiculous.

If I was a goalie in this situation too, I too would get upset. People question leadership in the Habs locker room. But if Theodore can help this team find the desire, I think in the long run, comments like these are good.

Corey 12-13-2003 10:08 AM

I think Patrick Roy would have exploded in the same circumstances.

Wildcat 12-13-2003 12:18 PM

Whether it came from Jose Theodore, Saku Koivu or Gordie Dwyer -- it's true. Apparently (I didnít have the pleasure, or I should say displeasure, of seeing the game) Theo was one of the few that actually showed up to play so he had every right to be pissed off at the rest of the team.

A great statistic to know would be which line gave up the most shots. Iíd love to see that.