HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Frig it, Johnson gets another thread (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=357694)

CrAzYNiNe 03-13-2007 08:42 PM

Frig it, Johnson gets another thread

This guy is so great. We have to sign this guy. We are always talking about players want to play in Montreal and he just goes all out every shift every night. Man this guy needs to be re-signed!!!

Puckhead58* 03-13-2007 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe (Post 8492707)
This guy is so great. We have to sign this guy. We are always talking about players want to play in Montreal and he just goes all out every shift every night. Man this guy needs to be re-signed!!!

I agree....he is too valuable to let him walk away. He's a good hard worker in whatever role we use him, offensive or defensive and he plays every game.

CrAzYNiNe 03-13-2007 08:47 PM

honorable mention to Lats pulling a Higgins of last year. Come on both of you guys catch fire, plus Ryder and maybe wake up Koivu and Kovalev

(we have a lot of problems :sarcasm: )

JeromeHP 03-13-2007 08:50 PM

Got 28pts this year he's our perfect 3rd liner RW but he's making 1,9 so next year cant expect too much of a raise and if we buy out samsonov and kovy will be tough to resign him and there also markov and rivet. Good luck bob this summer

CrAzYNiNe 03-13-2007 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markov79fan (Post 8492943)
Got 28pts this year he's our perfect 3rd liner RW but he's making 1,9 so next year cant expect too much of a raise and if we buy out samsonov and kovy will be tough to resign him and there also markov and rivet. Good luck bob this summer

we wont buy anyone out, at worst we will deal sammy for almost nothing

JeromeHP 03-13-2007 09:01 PM

Nobody will take samsonov! Even the freaking hawks didnt want him this year and dudley is sammy biggest fan!

417 03-13-2007 09:16 PM

I still wouldn't sign him...I can take guys who put up points avoiding physical play, but a 3rd liner?

No thanks, i've never seen a player be more afraid to get hit since...I don't know.

He's a solid player, but he's hella soft

Mike8 03-13-2007 09:18 PM

Yeah, he's pretty soft. Though he does have size and goes to the net. He's also above average defensively, but I wouldn't pay big money for him.

I don't think he's truly worth what he commands, and he's not good enough with the puck to compensate for intangibles that players like Grier provide.

Habs13 03-13-2007 09:19 PM

Poor guy always seems to get beat up... but yeah, give him a 3 year deal dammit!

Jaydawg 03-13-2007 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markov79fan (Post 8492943)

again, with no PP time...leads the team in points 5 on 5 and +/-.....must be resigned

417 03-13-2007 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs13 (Post 8493894)
Poor guy always seems to get beat up... but yeah, give him a 3 year deal dammit!

Have we not learned from our mistake with Bouillon?

Johnson isn't getting any younger, faster, his offensive numbers are on the decline for a 2nd or 3rd consecutive year, he's not physical enough to play a 3rd line role on a checking line IMO, at least not on a good team.

Forget it, don't be blinded...

I said the same thing with Bouillon last year, I got blasted...this time I hope Gainey makes the right decision

Mike8 03-13-2007 11:11 PM

Johnson's very likeable, but I don't think he produces enough offense. He might produce more when playing with more offensive players, but that goes to show he's more complementary than catalyst.

Basically, what I look for in a player in Johnson's role, or potential range of roles, is as follows:

- produces offense (to the tune of 18-22 goals, 50 points a year) while providing decent defense; essentially his role right now, plus the offense. If you think that's out of whack in expectations, look no further than Schaefer, Hecht, etc.

or

- if 30-35 points is the point-range we expect, then a whole lot more grit and expectations of clutch offense, high energy, and more defensive capabilities, a la Peca, Draper types who earn in the same salary range.

Johnson's good, a consummate pro, and better than Montreal's had complementing the depth than we've seen in a few years. But signing him wouldn't be fiscally responsible. Not at that salary.

Nobak 03-13-2007 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 417 (Post 8494036)
Have we not learned from our mistake with Bouillon?

Johnson isn't getting any younger, faster, his offensive numbers are on the decline for a 2nd or 3rd consecutive year, he's not physical enough to play a 3rd line role on a checking line IMO, at least not on a good team.

Forget it, don't be blinded...

I said the same thing with Bouillon last year, I got blasted...this time I hope Gainey makes the right decision

The salary on Bouillon's contract is a bigger problem than the length. I may be wrong, but I don't recall people being too enthusiastic when they heard the figure.

Habs10Habs 03-13-2007 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nobak (Post 8496201)
The salary on Bouillon's contract is a bigger problem than the length. I may be wrong, but I don't recall people being too enthusiastic when they heard the figure.

I agree....1.9m for a 6th/7th defenseman is way too high IMO

Hackett 03-14-2007 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 417 (Post 8493804)
I still wouldn't sign him...I can take guys who put up points avoiding physical play, but a 3rd liner?

No thanks, i've never seen a player be more afraid to get hit since...I don't know.

He's a solid player, but he's hella soft

hehe, you just called him solid and soft in the same sentence :)

I dont think he'll be back. However, He's had a good season and he showed me some elements to his game which I didn't know he possesed. I was actually thinking that he would be a 17-20 goal scorer for the club but admittedly, I haven;t seen alot of him since he left the leafs where he was more of a one dimensional player. He's a complete player now.

Sure, he's not going to go out there and rub bodies, but he gets the job done. Wingers are an area of depth in this organization and kostitsyn will presumably be a full time nhler next season.... In a cap world, I dont know if its a priority to bring Johnson back

Habs721* 03-14-2007 12:22 AM

I think Bonk and Johnson are underappreciated. Savvy veterans. They're a good fit for this team. Re-sign them both (but don't break the bank on them).

Shabutie 03-14-2007 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs721 (Post 8497141)
I think Bonk and Johnson are underappreciated. Savvy veterans. They're a good fit for this team. Re-sign them both (but don't break the bank on them).

Bonk is the most overrated player on this team. There are players who can fill his role that don't cost half of what he makes. Tonight proved that once again.

Mike8 03-14-2007 01:19 AM

I think it was McPhee who brought up the fact that Bonk plays a very contained game; not up-tempo like the rest of the team (ought to be) playing.

Part of Plekanec's line's success was the high tempo, fast transition, constant skating. That tempo made it easy for even the more borderline D like Niinimaa to move the puck in a hurry and spring the forwards for transition-offense. With Bonk's line, he and Johnson frequently look to pass the puck back to the D and slow the pace down when they get the puck in the neutral zone.

This works against the team's speed, and exposes the D to heavy forechecking.

Not blaming Bonk and Johnson for the team's problems on the breakout, but I think there's a reason the team has fewer problems on the breakout when Plekanec's out there.

Jaydawg 03-14-2007 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs721 (Post 8497141)

agreed!! This is the first year of Johnson's career that he hasnt seen any PP time. If he even played 2 unit, you could count on him for 50 points plus. Look at his career. He is still fast, good passer, good defensively and a great guy in the locker room.

Nuff said.

Dan K 03-14-2007 07:23 AM

I'd love to see Johnson kept around, but Bonk can be allowed to leave.

I mean I don't mind him here, but we need to move on and look to upgrading our center position. If we can bring in a first or second line center, there is no longer room for Bonk. And if not, we have the option of finding a cheap 3rd line glue guy C, while also giving Grabovski a chance to show if he's ready to step on to a second scoring line.

The lines are impossible to predict right now, but down the middle, you'd either have:

Koivu
Grabovski/Plekanec
Plekanec/Grabovski
Lapierre

or

New Center
Koivu
Plekanec
Lapierre

CHareth 03-14-2007 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike8 (Post 8493869)
Yeah, he's pretty soft. Though he does have size and goes to the net. He's also above average defensively, but I wouldn't pay big money for him.

I don't think he's truly worth what he commands, and he's not good enough with the puck to compensate for intangibles that players like Grier provide.

You have no idea how happy I'd be if we had Grier.

hototogisu 03-14-2007 09:36 AM

I'd like to keep Johnson at his current salary for another year or two, and I wouldn't mind having Bonk around if he takes a pay cut. But like Shabutie said, there are players who do what Bonk does for us a lot cheaper, so he's not worth overpaying to keep...as if we weren't already overpaying for him.

tiredman 03-14-2007 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hototogisu (Post 8498985)
I'd like to keep Johnson at his current salary for another year or two, and I wouldn't mind having Bonk around if he takes a pay cut. But like Shabutie said, there are players who do what Bonk does for us a lot cheaper, so he's not worth overpaying to keep...as if we weren't already overpaying for him.

Like who ?

Habs10Habs 03-14-2007 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HABS456 (Post 8499007)
Like who ?

I would definitely keep Johnson, he's the type of player that is not going to do anything fancy. He's also very responsible at both ends of the ice, and doesn't usually get caught out of position.

I also like Bonk, but I wouldn't be devastated if he left. If he doesn't resign with us, I could see Laps stepping into his slot on the 3rd line.

eddy 03-14-2007 10:05 AM

I would definetly want to keep Johnson, sound defensivly puts up decent numbers (remeber he was a 50-60 point guy before playing in Montreals system) I'd even keep Bonk if he was willing to sign cheap but I really don't see him in the line-up next year.