HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Vokoun or Mason ... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=357789)

Joe T Choker 03-14-2007 12:04 AM

Vokoun or Mason ...

This question has to be asked in all seriousness ... for all the highlight reel type goals Vokoun makes with his glove ... his five hole is wider then a hooker on Dickerson Road ... I believe it is time for Trotz to re-think his decision of Vokoun being the #1 goalie on this team

mmneely932 03-14-2007 12:47 AM

I think your either on drugs or the guy who sat in front of me tonight that didn't like anyone on our team. He may have liked Sully since he had on a Sullivan jersey, but I'm sure the guy would have found something wrong him.

Vokoun has carried this team time and time again and did a pretty good job of it, Maybe if the rest of the team would do their job he wouldn't have to spread 'em so much.

barrytrotzsneck 03-14-2007 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmneely932 (Post 8497358)
I think your either on drugs or the guy who sat in front of me tonight that didn't like anyone on our team. He may have liked Sully since he had on a Sullivan jersey, but I'm sure the guy would have found something wrong him.

Vokoun has carried this team time and time again and did a pretty good job of it, Maybe if the rest of the team would do their job he wouldn't have to spread 'em so much.

While I think Joe T is overreacting, it's hard to say that it was "the team's" fault tonight, either. Aside from goal 2(where two men went to Draper behind the net, leaving Maltby all alone...and Tootoo literally stood there and watched) the other 4 goals were stoppable. I'm not saying Vokoun has been bad lately, in fact I think he's been mostly pretty good, but tonight was not a good one.

sparkle twin 03-14-2007 01:02 AM

Vokoun for the long haul. He had a bad game tonight, but he had been playing better lately.

Mason for Wednesday.

lstcyr 03-14-2007 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomorekids (Post 8497451)
the other 4 goals were stoppable.

When you see the replay of the fourth goal, you'll see that it went off Zids skate. Vokoun had no chance. I don't disagree on the other three.

vopatsrash 03-14-2007 08:05 AM

I think Vokoun is 4-4 (3 of the 4 losses in shootouts) in his last 8 games with a depleted team in front of him. He should have a better team in front of him in the playoffs and there will be no shootouts, thank goodness.

I think Vokoun will be fine and they should go with him, but I'd like to see Mason get 3-4 more starts this season so he can stay sharp. When they get to the playoffs, if the Preds struggle and Vokoun is letting in softies, who knows? Cujo replacing Legace in 2004 worked against us.

Mirinho 03-14-2007 08:25 AM

Vokoun is far better than Mason.

Teams versus Vokoun played last 10 matches:

DET, CBJ, DET, ANA, SJ, DET, MTL, PHX, MIN, SJ (3x DET, 2xSJ, 1xMIN, 1xANA => 7x excellent offensive teams from the TOP of the table )

Teams versus Mason played last 10 matches:

CGY, LA, CBJ, STL, PIT, STL, CHI, CBJ, DET, CBJ (1x DET, 1xPIT, 1xCGY => 3x excellent offensive teams from the TOP of the table)

so here you can see - why has Mason more wins

Mason is excellent backup - probably best in the NHL, but Vokoun is better.

Jarnberg 03-14-2007 09:18 AM

Vokoun is still the better goalie, but he played terrible last night.

tulsytrid1 03-14-2007 09:48 AM

Ya Vokoun had a bad game last night. It cost us the game; however, he is looking more to form (besides last night obviosly) as of late. He still has trouble with breakaways, and as Vopatsrash said Thank everything good that there are no shootouts in the playoffs. I would still ride Vokoun into the playoffs. Give Mace some good starts to keep him fresh just in case.

jstreet 03-14-2007 11:22 AM

I still want to see Mason tonight.

jstreet 03-14-2007 11:28 AM

Also, for what it's worth:

Vokoun's record against the Wings this season: 1-3
Mason's: 1-1

TV's one win was in OT and it appears that they have his number. However, Masons win was against MacDonald. so...

Joe T Choker 03-14-2007 11:28 AM

GP GS MIN W L OTL EGA GA GAA SA SV SV% SO
vs Detroit 5 5 268 1 2 1 1 15 3.36 156 141 .904 0

.904 against the Wings isn't anything to scoff at but considering his season sv% is around .917 ... they kinda do have his number

handtrick 03-15-2007 07:32 AM

Well, we DO officially have a goalie controversy now, eventhough Mason didn't win last night

I heard a Trotz clip this morning on XM saying....."when it comes to the playoffs we are going to play the goalie that is playing best and we feel has the best chance of getting the job done....if it is Chris, then he will play.....if it is Tomas, then he will play.....multiple factors will go into the decision."

Then the paper today.....

"We're getting to that point in the season where whoever can get hot will be the goalie," he said.

"Ideally? Who knows?" he said with a wrinkled forehead. "I've done it both ways. I really can't answer it.

"I've done it where I've had one guy go all the way. I've done it the other way where I had two guys and they alternated. So when it's time to cross that path we will."

Mason says he prefers a starter to be named.....Vokoun is not quoted......

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar.../703150410/1028

I am somewhat surprised he came out in the media with this a this particular time, but I think there is a method to his madness.
I have a couple theories, based on a couple of statements made in confidence and some observations, but can't really say more than that right now.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out....

Bad Karma 03-15-2007 11:20 AM

Vokoun is scared about losing his job that's why....

AdsSabresRule 03-15-2007 02:28 PM

Vokoun...

Funny. I watched the game last night with the Wings, and when they panned to Vokoun, he did not look too comfortable at all, body language wise. The Detroit broadcasters also talked some Trotz quotes. Trotz does not see mlike the type to just say stuff to play to the players through the media. He seems like a straight shooter (?) So, I think maybe you guys do have a toss up right now as to who to start nightly...IMO I think Vokoun still has the 'star power' and the ability to make the incredi - save in the pinch that Mason probably does not have yet...but, I don't watch as much as you guys. FWIW.

Radulov for Czar* 03-15-2007 02:40 PM

I think it really is a coin flip in Trotz's office of who will start.