HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Liffiton v. Baranka (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=358323)

Choice 03-15-2007 01:48 PM

Liffiton v. Baranka

Can anyone who's watched the Pack this year say why Liffiton is up before Baranka? From everything I've read and the few games ive seen, Baranka has the higher upside.

WhipNash27 03-15-2007 01:52 PM

Maybe because Liffiton is more of a physical defenseman?

bleedrngrblue 03-15-2007 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyChoice (Post 8513698)
Can anyone who's watched the Pack this year say why Liffiton is up before Baranka? From everything I've read and the few games ive seen, Baranka has the higher upside.

I wish I knew about Baranka but I know next to nothing about him. I have been on the Liffiton bandwagon since he arrived in the trade in 04 with his baby fat , which he has lost, and i really like the way the kid plays. The big question about him from some people on this board seems to be whether he has the speed in his skating to keep up at the NHL level. I'm hoping so,this team hasn't had a mean defender like him in a long time.

Choice 03-15-2007 02:05 PM

I was excited about Liffiton too, and from everyone I talked to that knew him, he seemed like a pretty solid prospect at the time. But it seems as though his stock has really fallen in the past year or two. I'll be interested to see if he can keep up with the NHL pace.

Pizza 03-15-2007 02:12 PM

Who can say really?

I'm with those who think Ivan should have gotten the call, but you can be sure they have a good reason. The Rangers brass along with the guys in HFD are careful(maybe to fault) in not rushing anybody. Maybe that's the answer.

hlundqvist30* 03-15-2007 02:20 PM

IMO, Baranka eventually will be the better defenseman, but right now Liffiton is the best of the two. Who cares, so far the Rangers are 2/2 on call ups this season (Girardi, Dubinsky), and giving the youth time has worked really well. Hopefully the Rangers give Liffiton more than 3 games with 5 minutes of icetime before they make a decision on him. With the way the certain players have screwed us over *cough* Malik, Rozsival *cough*and ESPECIALLY the way Hank has been playing in goal, if Liffiton isn't bad, then he is good.

bleedrngrblue 03-15-2007 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pizza (Post 8513997)
Who can say really?

I'm with those who think Ivan should have gotten the call, but you can be sure they have a good reason. The Rangers brass along with the guys in HFD are careful(maybe to fault) in not rushing anybody. Maybe that's the answer.

Pizza...or anyone,what are your thoughts of Baranka as a player? Any insights would be greatly appreciated as I know next to nothing about him.

Fletch 03-15-2007 02:30 PM

Baranka has easily been...

the better defenseman. Liffiton right now is the more 'experienced' defenseman, and the one who has played a game or two in the NHL, and thus the call-up. An extreme similar example is Isbister getting the call-up, even though he was probably the fourth or fifth best winger in HFD, the experience is what got him the call-up.

RangerBoy 03-15-2007 02:36 PM

Baranka is the better player.Did Baranka sleep with Jim Schoenfeld's daughter or something?The Rangers always defer to Schoenfeld as too which player to call up.You never hear his name mentioned as a possible call up.If Jake Taylor was healthy,the Rangers would probably call up Taylor before Baranka who needs more consistency to his game

Blueshirt13 03-15-2007 02:44 PM

In my opinion Baranka is the better defenseman, but perhaps after seeing opponents score goals from infront of Lundqvist, Renney wanted someone who can infact clear the crease when needed.

Jarkko Immonen 03-15-2007 02:55 PM

I've seen the Pack countless times this year so I'll weigh in with what I can. Baranka is the better player/prospect out of the two so I would have expected him to get the call first, but as stated already, Liffiton is far, far more physical. He'll drop the gloves and kick some ass too. Ivan Baranka has been found shopping at the malls all too often. :P

RangerBoy 03-15-2007 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarkko Immonen (Post 8514541)
I've seen the Pack countless times this year so I'll weigh in with what I can. Baranka is the better player/prospect out of the two so I would have expected him to get the call first, but as stated already, Liffiton is far, far more physical. He'll drop the gloves and kick some ass too. Ivan Baranka has been found shopping at the malls all too often. :P

When has physical play been given greater consideration than overall skill

We are the Rangers;)

RangerBoy 03-15-2007 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueshirt13 (Post 8514426)
Renney wanted someone who can infact clear the crease when needed.

In that case,Marek Malik shouldn't be playing.The only clearing which goes on with Malik is his paycheck clearing every 15 days

chosen 03-15-2007 03:13 PM

+22

Fletch 03-15-2007 03:15 PM

Liffiton's far more physical?

I dunno...I see Baranka standing up as many guys at the blueline and grinding it along the boards as Liffiton. Fighting, yes, but that's not really a measure of a physical player, in my opinion.

Prucha25Graves988* 03-15-2007 03:57 PM

All i know is its about time time some NA players are inserted in the lineup, NYR has been missing that style of play for a very long time,years as a matter of fact.

HAPPY HOUR 03-15-2007 04:04 PM

Maybe the coaching staff is thinking that with the "physical presence" of Liffiton on the blueline, and scratching Orr gives the Rangers more ability to play four lines and put more pressure on the Thrasher/Pens D. I like Orr but if this is their thinking I'm inclined to agree.

Ola 03-15-2007 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarkko Immonen (Post 8514541)

Yeah, thats a underrated issue with Liffiton.

I've only seen him fight 4 times, and don't really knew the guys he were fighting with, but Liffiton looks to be a pretty decent fighter. He aren't dropping them just to get something over with, it looks like he wants to take the other guys heads of when he dropps his gloves.

Dave aren't able to land all that many hits, today hitting is more skating then everything else, like we have seen with Tyutin who were pretty high overall in the league in the hitting department.

But I defenitly think Liffiton can take on a Studwick type of enforcer role in the NHL. I don't know if he can handle gooing up against a Brasher or George L though.

DutchShamrock 03-15-2007 06:17 PM

Raise your hand if you wanted Baranka here before Girardi. I know I did. Seems to be working out. I posed this question of Liffiton v. Baranka earlier but I really don't have enough info to offer an opinion, but so far everyone in the know says that Baranka has more upside but Liffiton is further along as of now. Considering that the Rangers are going for the playoffs it is understandable that they want to minimize mistakes and the learning curve.

Besides, it's splitting hairs when all season we just wanted youth up here and now we complain about exactly who is coming up. Just be happy it's happening.

jas 03-15-2007 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mugerya (Post 8516901)
Raise your hand if you wanted Baranka here before Girardi. I know I did. Seems to be working out. I posed this question of Liffiton v. Baranka earlier but I really don't have enough info to offer an opinion, but so far everyone in the know says that Baranka has more upside but Liffiton is further along as of now. Considering that the Rangers are going for the playoffs it is understandable that they want to minimize mistakes and the learning curve.

Besides, it's splitting hairs when all season we just wanted youth up here and now we complain about exactly who is coming up. Just be happy it's happening.

C'mon, now...people were complaining when Dubi got the call over Callahan and Dawes. Why should it be any different in this case?

pyattrocks* 03-15-2007 07:09 PM

With the camp he had, Baranka should have made the team from day one. Tyutin barely hit anybody is first year and a half. You almost get the sense they are playing Pock and Liffiton over Baranka in hopes that they can trade them for something. I still have no idea why they are playing Hollweg and Betts over guys they have at Hartford.

DontStaal 03-15-2007 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pyattrocks (Post 8517683)
With the camp he had, Baranka should have made the team from day one. Tyutin barely hit anybody is first year and a half. You almost get the sense they are playing Pock and Liffiton over Baranka in hopes that they can trade them for something. I still have no idea why they are playing Hollweg and Betts over guys they have at Hartford.

well that may be true.. but regarding holls and bettsy, they're both 4th line players. The guys in HFD are there for a reason (they're being developed) We have a great group in HFD and as it can be seen with all these injuries, guys are steppin in.

I can only imagine how much ice time guys like Dubi, Cally, etc would have on the 4th line if they get 4 - 8 min on the 2nd and 3rd lines

Horacethe3rd 03-15-2007 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerBoy (Post 8514677)
In that case,Marek Malik shouldn't be playing.The only clearing which goes on with Malik is his paycheck clearing every 15 days

:biglaugh:

True Blue Bleed Blue 03-16-2007 09:56 AM

Not hard...

Liffiton= North American style, tough, rough, old timer, physical, will fight to change a game, stick up for his teammates, or send a message
Baranka= European stlye, finess player, great skater, offensive skill

bleedrngrblue 03-16-2007 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue (Post 8525262)
Not hard...

Liffiton= North American style, tough, rough, old timer, physical, will fight to change a game, stick up for his teammates, or send a message
Baranka= European stlye, finess player, great skater, offensive skill

Plus...Liffiton is Hockey royalty....his Grandfather's ,or Great Grandfather's,name is engraved on the CUP!