HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   WJC SELECTION Committe Missed Williams (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=35853)

Mess 12-13-2003 10:20 PM

WJC SELECTION Committe Missed Williams

Jeremy Williams has now had 3 points in each of his last 3 games...

and raced to the TOP in the WHL Scoring..

http://www.whl.ca/stats/statdisplay....=0&leagueId=26

WJC was so wrapped up in taking size that they forgot that Skilled players may also be need..

I think Leafs have a real diamond in the rough here..

RoadWarrior 12-14-2003 01:12 AM

The Redenbach-Williams-Getzlaf line was the best line in the entire REMAX challenge series. Williams reminds me of Mike Richards in the OHL and Richards was a first rounder. The leafs got maybe the best steal of the draft taking him 220th?!? In fact I think the leafs should sign him this year and get him some AHL games and use him as an injury replacement for the playoffs. Williams is better than Kyle Wellwood and would easily be the top center in St.John's right now.

wasting time 12-14-2003 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoadWarrior
The Redenbach-Williams-Getzlaf line was the best line in the entire REMAX challenge series. Williams reminds me of Mike Richards in the OHL and Richards was a first rounder. The leafs got maybe the best steal of the draft taking him 220th?!? In fact I think the leafs should sign him this year and get him some AHL games and use him as an injury replacement for the playoffs. Williams is better than Kyle Wellwood and would easily be the top center in St.John's right now.

Wow,really? I never have even seen him play. He is too young for the AHL though I think.

leafaholix* 12-14-2003 06:34 AM

Yeah, he was arguably one of the top forwards in the tournament.

The kids got a wicked shot and he's a fine skater... he's physical as well.

nordique 12-14-2003 07:17 AM

Quote:

Williams is better than Kyle Wellwood and would easily be the top center in St.John's right now.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves...

Mess 12-14-2003 08:24 AM

Quote:

I watched all 6 games as well..and I agree that, WHL line was one of hte best in the tourney and had great Chemistry... If I was a selection committee I would seriously have thought about adding the whole line to Team Canada.. Willilams had lots of chances in the tourney and puck just seemed to follow him around.. He also is very versatile as he plays both wing and center...

Not sure I would take anything away from Wellwood in St. Johns as he has done very well for himself in St. Johns ...but I got to see Jeremey live last week and every time I do I come away impressed with him, but most surprising is that its hared to believe NHL teams passed on this guy so long...He should have been drafted much higher..

I think it was a great pick by TORONTO...

Leaf Lander 12-14-2003 08:42 AM

WHEN WAS LAST TIME THE LEAFS UPDATED THEIR TOP PROSPECTS HERE ON HF

sorry about the caps :dunno:

RoadWarrior 12-14-2003 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordique
Let's not get ahead of ourselves...

Williams outplayed Wellwood by a significant margin in the Kitchener camp.

RiellyGood 12-14-2003 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gilmour's Way
WHEN WAS LAST TIME THE LEAFS UPDATED THEIR TOP PROSPECTS HERE ON HF

sorry about the caps :dunno:

top 10 were re-done about a month or two ago

sluggo* 12-14-2003 12:43 PM

He is too young for the AHL though I think.

His birthday is in Jan, and I think once he turns 20 the Leafs could sign him and move him to St. Johns, Shedden was very impressed by him at training camp and if they can do that I wouldn't be susprised if they do.

As for his draft position, remember he was in the 2002 draft as well, but he had a terrible year and went undrafted, I would guess a lot of teams just stopped looking at that point, assuming he would never break out. Along with his size and disapointed playoff preformance last year a lot of teams just ignored him, hopefully he'll be a good steal for the Leafs.

leafaholix* 12-14-2003 03:02 PM

He cannot be signed to a contract until Swift Current is either eliminated from the playoffs or doesn't qualify. The deadline has already passed to sign junior prospects.

caber24 12-14-2003 05:24 PM

yeah who needs the leading scorer in the whl :dunno:

i am afraid we may have focused to much on size this year and not enough on skill to compete with the russians. hopefully i am wrong.

sluggo* 12-14-2003 05:31 PM

i am afraid we may have focused to much on size this year

He also had 93 pts in 72 games last year (good for 9th in the WHL), impressed in the series with the Russian Selects and at the Leafs Kitchener Camp, where he was the scoring leader.

IWD 12-14-2003 05:40 PM

I'm wary because he is, afterall, 19 going on 20, playing with a lot of younger guys. His strength/advanced development may have something to do with his domination. I've never seen him in person, though, so my concerns may be unfounded. However, everything I've heard/read from scouts looks positive so he should be a good one. His versatility as a winger should come in useful because I don't see him ever claiming a pivot spot in Toronto with Sundin, Antropov, Steen, Stajan, etc. all ahead on the depth charts. If he turns into a solid second line winger, then I'll be ecstatic. Hopefully we see him in St. John's next season.

Mess 12-14-2003 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sluggo
i am afraid we may have focused to much on size this year

He also had 93 pts in 72 games last year (good for 9th in the WHL), impressed in the series with the Russian Selects and at the Leafs Kitchener Camp, where he was the scoring leader.

You do realize that the WE that caber24 is referring to is TEAM CANADA..and the 93 points in 72 games happend before the Leafs or any team drafted him which kind of contradicts your pevious post and Williams isn't exactly that small ...5'11" 185...and all young kids fill out..Darcy Tucker is also 5'11 182 lbs....and he can play regularly in the NHL...

and Williams was also WHL player of the month for November

http://www.scbroncos.com/news/031202.html

and as such ..wouldn't that be the type of player Team Canada wanted??..

RoadWarrior 12-15-2003 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icewind Dale
I'm wary because he is, afterall, 19 going on 20, playing with a lot of younger guys. His strength/advanced development may have something to do with his domination. I've never seen him in person, though, so my concerns may be unfounded. However, everything I've heard/read from scouts looks positive so he should be a good one. His versatility as a winger should come in useful because I don't see him ever claiming a pivot spot in Toronto with Sundin, Antropov, Steen, Stajan, etc. all ahead on the depth charts. If he turns into a solid second line winger, then I'll be ecstatic. Hopefully we see him in St. John's next season.

I wouldn't describe his development as advanced. Two years ago he was an unheralded fourth line winger in junior who was drafted late in the midget draft. Then last season he scores 93 points out of the blue. Most prognosticators and scouts probably thought his season last year was an anomaly and he'd fall back to earth this year but not only has he not regressed he's gotten even better. Williams is a guy who didn't learn to skate until he was 18 much like Brent Burns with Minnesota. A classic late bloomer with plenty of upside. I do see his future on the wing in the NHL emulating the play of Darcy Tucker.

Mess 12-15-2003 07:52 AM

Quote:

I wouldn't describe his development as advanced. Two years ago he was an unheralded fourth line winger in junior who was drafted late in the midget draft. Then last season he scores 93 points out of the blue. Most prognosticators and scouts probably thought his season last year was an anomaly and he'd fall back to earth this year but not only has he not regressed he's gotten even better. Williams is a guy who didn't learn to skate until he was 18 much like Brent Burns with Minnesota. A classic late bloomer with plenty of upside. I do see his future on the wing in the NHL emulating the play of Darcy Tucker.

He is not as feisty as Tucker ...but size wise about the same.. Tucker put up great numbers in Kamloops as a Junior as Williams is doing in Swift Current... The puck is always around him and he shoots from any where ..... I think he is going to make it too, if the NHL and the Leafs can ever get over this SIZE matters issue that they always use...

If you had to pick between Daniel Briere or Ponikarovsky ...Who would you take.??.. How about Stevie Sullivan???

The Team Canada committee Blair Mackasey in particular pick this years team based on SIZE and More Size so they wouldn't be pushed around by the Russian like they said the where last year ...Now all these SO CALLED power forward types like Eric Fehr, Adam Henrich and Marc-Andre Bernier have all been cut and little guys smaller than Williams like Adam Courchaine have also been sent home...

Funny thing now is that the Russian Defense is much smaller and less physical than last year, and Team Canada organizer that spent the whole year planning on building a team that could beat the big strong Russian one is now going to face a smaller more skilled one..

I think Team Canada yet might regret leaving one of the hottest players in CHL at home for the tourney.. I wished I could have watched him play there..

Frankie 12-15-2003 09:13 AM

it seems like every year team canada cuts or doesn't invite someone who has great numbers and looks like a shoo-in on paper, but has an attitude problem.

is that the case with williams? maybe a bad attitude. his numbers are so good. there must be some other reason he was left home. its not just an oversight.

Nielson81 12-15-2003 10:14 AM

Maybe instead of holding a camp team Canada should just take the top 20 candian Toronto Maple Leafs prospects.

I'm sure many of you would back that hey !!

Just playing with ya guys
Unbiased Canadian

wasting time 12-15-2003 11:09 AM

Just to play devil's advocate here, haven't there been quite a number of guys who become scoring leaders in their final years of junior, but never translate that to the pros? A function of being the most experienced, senior, etc. and getting the ice time?

e.g. Nathan Barrett?

sluggo* 12-15-2003 12:02 PM

The Messenger - Remember Team Canada for the WJC is very heavly made up of 18 year olds (and younger), I think Williams age just worked against him. It looks like they didn't want a team full of 19 year olds that would have be rebuilt again next year and decided to go with younger guys who will be playing for the team for the next 2 years or more

Evileye 12-15-2003 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wasting time
Just to play devil's advocate here, haven't there been quite a number of guys who become scoring leaders in their final years of junior, but never translate that to the pros? A function of being the most experienced, senior, etc. and getting the ice time?

e.g. Nathan Barrett?

He was an unsigned overager when he put up his good numbers in his last year of junior.

That happens a lot too, decent Junior players go unsigned so they play as an overager (start the year at 20 and are usually 21 at seasons end) and put up really good numbers.

RoadWarrior 12-15-2003 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sluggo
The Messenger - Remember Team Canada for the WJC is very heavly made up of 18 year olds (and younger), I think Williams age just worked against him. It looks like they didn't want a team full of 19 year olds that would have be rebuilt again next year and decided to go with younger guys who will be playing for the team for the next 2 years or more

The only problem with that idea is that half of those 18 year olds will be in the NHL next year and unavailable for the tournament. Team Canada should be selecting the best players period instead of using the 'favourite players' theory or 'big players' theory or 'fast players' theory.

Mess 12-15-2003 11:21 PM

Quote:

e.g. Nathan Barrett?

I think you are missing the point here ..

The players that play for Canada ...really has nothing to due with NHL success...They are currently amatuers ...and this Tourney is also referred to a Under 20 , where 19 year olds prosper the most ...

So my point was that Williams is leading the WHL in scoring proving that he can play at or better the level of the others in the WHL...so then in a Tourney against other 19 year olds and younger why would ne not be successful??...

What does that say ..Williams is better offensively than North American players but not against other countries even though Canada is considered one of the strongest teams and Countries for developing players..

RoadWarrior 12-15-2003 11:24 PM

Quote:

e.g. Nathan Barrett?

That's true but Barrett is also a perimeter player who scored many of his points picking cherries. He also didn't show any improvment in his last 3 years in junior as his goals/game stayed about the same. I wouldn't write him off yet either. He might get traded and find a coach who puts him on the powerplay.