HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   O.T. Saddam captured. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=35877)

Lundyfan 12-14-2003 03:39 AM

O.T. Saddam captured.

Found hiding in a cellar during a raid near Tikrit.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,105706,00.html

#37-#93-#27* 12-14-2003 04:54 AM

:handclap: :yo:

barnaby63 12-14-2003 05:37 AM

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

hopefully our boys over there can relax without terrorists attacks. Now only if he tells us where WOMD are.

YEEEEEAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

Hire Sather 12-14-2003 05:55 AM

Yay.

Bluenote13 12-14-2003 06:11 AM

Slats: " Can he play left wing? :p

LondonFan 12-14-2003 06:24 AM

An Italian journalist asked a very good question - 'Could he have overseen all the guerilla groups form that little hole in the ground?'

The terror attacks won't stop until people stop hating Americans. And I think his answer to where all the WOMDs are will be "but we haven't got any".

PotiFan03 12-14-2003 07:25 AM

Hey maybe Slats should hire Sadaam as head coach of the Rangers. The Rangers desperately need a brutal dictator to get them to show up every game!

:joker:

Potter 12-14-2003 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barnaby63
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

hopefully our boys over there can relax without terrorists attacks. Now only if he tells us where WOMD are.

YEEEEEAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

you think just cause we caught sadam that terrorist attacks will stop? look at palestine dude, the terrorist attacks are NEVER going to stop for the next fifty years. this was a nice little confidence boost thats gonna disappear in a month... with bush running things, just look at 9/11 for an example, he killed all the 9/11 sympathy/support in less than a year. hes an idiot and so is anyone that thinks this is truly significant in the large scale of things. trust me, saddam wasn't really doing much running from hole to hole.

Mark Pavelich 12-14-2003 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Potter
you think just cause we caught sadam that terrorist attacks will stop? look at palestine dude, the terrorist attacks are NEVER going to stop for the next fifty years. this was a nice little confidence boost thats gonna disappear in a month... with bush running things, just look at 9/11 for an example, he killed all the 9/11 sympathy/support in less than a year. hes an idiot and so is anyone that thinks this is truly significant in the large scale of things. trust me, saddam wasn't really doing much running from hole to hole.

Then I guess I am an Idiot but I have been called a lot worse. I do not think the attacks are going to come to an end but I think his capture is very significant to the Iraqi people and the grasp he had on them even in hiding.
I also don't think he was leading the resistance but he must have had some sort of connection to the outside world with the ability to get out his tape broadcasts as well as videos that were coming out.

p.l.f. 12-14-2003 08:51 AM

a little high 5'in at the white house :handclap:

barnaby63 12-14-2003 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Pavelich
Then I guess I am an Idiot but I have been called a lot worse. I do not think the attacks are going to come to an end but I think his capture is very significant to the Iraqi people and the grasp he had on them even in hiding.
I also don't think he was leading the resistance but he must have had some sort of connection to the outside world with the ability to get out his tape broadcasts as well as videos that were coming out.

i agree. but shouldve known all the bush-haters would try and put this as a minor accomplishment.

democrats>>:cry:

Potter 12-14-2003 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Pavelich

I'm not gonna bother arguing because its pointless. Just keep watching our troops get blown up and the Iraqi people get angrier and angrier because of the occupation. I'm not too surprised everyone doesn't realize that foreign occupation in the Middle East only leads to more problems considering what we tell kids in history classes.

And Saddam had absolutely no power or control of the Baath resistance during the last few months. He was just trying not to get caught.

Potter 12-14-2003 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barnaby63
i agree. but shouldve known all the bush-haters would try and put this as a minor accomplishment.

democrats>>:cry:

What makes it a major accomplishment? How would anything be different today if Saddam was dead in a hole somewhere, hiding out in Syria as a peasent, or in US custody? He would still be powerless, we would still be struggling to control the country, we would still be pissing off half the world with the contracts (and of course putting money in the pocket of all of the good friends, the golf buddies, of the bush fam). In fifty years we will all agree this era is going to be seen as a darkpoint in US history, when we started forgetting all the ideals that made our country what it is.

barnaby63 12-14-2003 11:01 AM

Quote:

I'm not gonna bother arguing because its pointless. Just keep watching our troops get blown up and the Iraqi people get angrier and angrier because of the occupation. I'm not too surprised everyone doesn't realize that foreign occupation in the Middle East only leads to more problems considering what we tell kids in history classes.

And Saddam had absolutely no power or control of the Baath resistance during the last few months. He was just trying not to get caught.

gee, coulda fooled me. i saw ALOT of the iraqi people celebrating like the rangers won the stanley cup when they found out saddam was captured.

no control? then i guess you blanked out when the news said he would travel to baghdad in a taxi. i dont think he was shopping, do you? he was found with 3/4 of a million dollars on him. so you dont think he would go to baghdad and pay and organize terrorist attacks on our troops? thats pretty mind boggling.:yo:

Quote:

keep watching our troops get blown up

you should really watch your choice of words since i am sure i am not the only one with a relative in iraq right now. that is just totally insensitive buddy.

barnaby63 12-14-2003 11:03 AM

Quote:

What makes it a major accomplishment? How would anything be different today if Saddam was dead in a hole somewhere, hiding out in Syria as a peasent, or in US custody? He would still be powerless, we would still be struggling to control the country, we would still be pissing off half the world with the contracts (and of course putting money in the pocket of all of the good friends, the golf buddies, of the bush fam). In fifty years we will all agree this era is going to be seen as a darkpoint in US history, when we started forgetting all the ideals that made our country what it is.

whatever you say kid.:lol:

SingnBluesOnBroadway 12-14-2003 11:05 AM

This is a sensitive subject. And one that is not taken lightly. For that matter, I'm almost uncomfortable with it being on a hockey message board.

With that said, this thread is one double secret probation. A would refer you all to the Politics Board over at the Lounge.

Thanks.

barnaby63 12-14-2003 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
This is a sensitive subject. And one that is not taken lightly. For that matter, I'm almost uncomfortable with it being on a hockey message board.

With that said, this thread is one double secret probation. A would refer you all to the Politics Board over at the Lounge.

Thanks.

i was actually not going to post in this thread anymore since i knew it would get ugly. i said what i wanted to say.

USA! USA! USA!:)

Potter 12-14-2003 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway

Thanks.

fair enough SBOB

Edge 12-14-2003 12:50 PM

To keep it light i will say the following.

I am not a Bush fan or a Republican.

I am happy Saddam is captured.

I don't think it will stop anything or make a dent in anything.

The timing is ironic, considering how good news always seems to happen right when their is a controversy at the white house {the oil case findings, troops being overseas for the holidays, etc.} Always seems to happen when the heat gets too high, anyone wanna bet that Bin Laden will be found right before the election? I'm calling it now.

I want Bin Laden, not Saddam, Not anyone else, I want Bin Laden.

Other then that, arguing politics is like the special olympics, even if you win you're ********.

barnaby63 12-14-2003 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edge

The timing is ironic, considering how good news always seems to happen right when their is a controversy at the white house {the oil case findings, troops being overseas for the holidays, etc.} Always seems to happen when the heat gets too high, anyone wanna bet that Bin Laden will be found right before the election? I'm calling it now.

Other then that, arguing politics is like the special olympics, even if you win you're ********.

so are you suggesting we are holding bin laden and were holding hussien till bush needed good PR? man, we got some looneys out there!http://www.eunuch.org/vbulletin/imag...akemitkopf.gif

Barnaby 12-14-2003 01:42 PM

Quote:

No, this wont stop everything, not close. It does however put alot of Iraqui's at ease that hes not coming back and shows alot of his supporters that its over. His political party is less likely to continue now.... of course that wont stop the other group of haters out there.

Barnaby 12-14-2003 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edge

I agree with you 9 times out of 10 on hockey, but I guess not on politics. Are you suggesting they just hold these guys until they need the PR ? When they get these guys they do pump it up to show a successful time in Iraq but thats a little crazy.

I for one think that going into Iraq was 100 percent correct. What bothers me is the way they went about it. Sadam killed hundreads of thousands and probably millions of his own people. He also was trying to build up his weapons of mass destruction. He may not have had what we thought he did, or maybe he did have it and its hidden in Syria or in the mountains. Regardless, this man is dangerous and you have to be insane to think he wasnt going to try for these things in the future. Just look at the money he gave to terrorists. He paid money to the families of suicide bombers and gave money to help the Palestinians attacks vs. Israel. It was something like 10,000 a Jewish head I believe. How many of us learned about the holocaust and said "We should have done something." "How come we couldn't have gotten in there quicker?." Saddam didnt have the power of the Nazi army but his antics were very close to those of Hitler. Like I said, going into Iraq was the right move, unfortunately mistakes were made with explanations, and through the UN that makes us out to look like war mongers.

Brooklyn Ranger 12-14-2003 03:20 PM

Too bad it took 33 years from the time Saddam first came to prominence--due in large part to the actions of the CIA, which incidently was headed by a man named George HW Bush at the time. Not to mention the US support for him after he declared war on Iran, not to mention our supplying him with the ability to use chemical weapons on the Iranians (anyone aware that Iraq regularly and routinely used mustard gas during the 8 year war and according to published estimates killed or maimed approx. 100,000 Iranians with it?) and on the Kurds. And not to mention preventing a number of countries from bringing charges about the routine use of chemical weapons in the 1980s. Not to mention the number of people killed 1991 after WE encouraged them to revolt and then abandoned them.

Not to mention that all of this crap in Iraq relating to Saddam could have been avoided if Powell, Cheney and especially GHW Bush had the guts to have finished what they started in 1990.

It's great that we finally got him, but it doesn't excuse the fact that we helped him gain, maintain and extend his power for a very long time. And it doesn't end the war on terror or change the fact that we will be occupying Iraq for several more years at the very least--unless we cut and run again before the job is finished.

And Bin Laden is still free....

Barnaby 12-14-2003 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
Too bad it took 33 years from the time Saddam first came to prominence--due in large part to the actions of the CIA, which incidently was headed by a man named George HW Bush at the time. Not to mention the US support for him after he declared war on Iran, not to mention our supplying him with the ability to use chemical weapons on the Iranians (anyone aware that Iraq regularly and routinely used mustard gas during the 8 year war and according to published estimates killed or maimed approx. 100,000 Iranians with it?) and on the Kurds. And not to mention preventing a number of countries from bringing charges about the routine use of chemical weapons in the 1980s. Not to mention the number of people killed 1991 after WE encouraged them to revolt and then abandoned them.

Not to mention that all of this crap in Iraq relating to Saddam could have been avoided if Powell, Cheney and especially GHW Bush had the guts to have finished what they started in 1990.

It's great that we finally got him, but it doesn't excuse the fact that we helped him gain, maintain and extend his power for a very long time. And it doesn't end the war on terror or change the fact that we will be occupying Iraq for several more years at the very least--unless we cut and run again before the job is finished.

And Bin Laden is still free....

Terrific. Who cares how he came to power at this point. Were there mistakes made? Sure, but thats not the point. The point is to do whats best for the US and our country NOW.

For arguments sake it wasn't a "lack of guts" to finish it in 1990. Even if it was, point is looking back doesn't help. That was then and this is now. Unfortunately we dont have a time machine, and odds are we never get one being as we have yet to meet anyone from the future :)

Bin Laden is still free but ya know what? Where are those terrorist training camps? He is probably hidden in some tunnel in a mountain or hidden out deep in a city somewhere. It isnt that easy to find a single person. Look at all the other powerful people we caught, it wasnt easy. We may or may not catch him some day but odds are if he starts to show his face then it will only be a matter of time.

Brooklyn Ranger 12-14-2003 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barnaby
Terrific. Who cares how he came to power at this point. Were there mistakes made? Sure, but thats not the point. The point is to do whats best for the US and our country NOW.

For arguments sake it wasn't a "lack of guts" to finish it in 1990. Even if it was, point is looking back doesn't help. That was then and this is now. Unfortunately we dont have a time machine, and odds are we never get one being as we have yet to meet anyone from the future :)

Bin Laden is still free but ya know what? Where are those terrorist training camps? He is probably hidden in some tunnel in a mountain or hidden out deep in a city somewhere. It isnt that easy to find a single person. Look at all the other powerful people we caught, it wasnt easy. We may or may not catch him some day but odds are if he starts to show his face then it will only be a matter of time.

You think Bin Laden isn't a threat to us? Or are the attacks that have taken place in Africa, Asia and most recently Turkey are not the work of Al Qaeda? Or that we're safe now because Saddam Hussein is in custody? Or that we as Americans don't have some responsibility for Saddam's rule of terror?

Sorry, but I do think that Bin Laden and Al Qaeda is, was and will continue to be the biggest threat facing us here at home. And I do think how we got to this point in history with Iraq does matter too. If only so we don't make the same mistakes over and over again.