HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   The Toughest Staal: Marc Staal? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=358920)

KreiMeARiver* 03-17-2007 12:20 AM

The Toughest Staal: Marc Staal?

This from an ESPN article with Jordan Staal. I thought this was interesting.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/column...vid&id=2800729

Q: Which brother is the toughest?

A: It's pretty close. We've had some good fights, but I would have to say Marc. He has definitely had the most fights in his career, and I would say he has to be the toughest.

Balej20* 03-17-2007 12:24 AM

Q: Which brother out of the 3 drafted brothers is currently not in the NHL playing significant minutes and producing big numbers?

A: I would have to say Marc Staal.

Crease 03-17-2007 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balej20 (Post 8535134)
Q: Which brother out of the 3 drafted brothers is currently not in the NHL playing significant minutes and producing big numbers?

A: I would have to say Marc Staal.

Fire Sather!!! :sarcasm:

Seriously, what's your point? :help:

philbo 03-17-2007 12:30 AM

Maybe we'll him soon. His OHL squad will probably get bounced in the first round, and then he'll be off to Hartford. Hopefully he'll have a better showing than last year.

Balej20* 03-17-2007 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crease29 (Post 8535178)
Fire Sather!!! :sarcasm:

Seriously, what's your point? :help:

My point is I'm just being a pain in the ass.

Crease 03-17-2007 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balej20 (Post 8535213)
My point is I'm just being a pain in the ass.

At least you're honest about it. ;)

If Staal was one year older we wouldn't be having this discussion. Out of camp the Brass felt he wasn't quite ready for the NHL, but didn't belong in the OHL. What can you do...

He'll be here next year.

Balej20* 03-17-2007 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crease29 (Post 8535290)

If Staal was one year older we wouldn't be having this discussion. Out of camp the Brass felt he wasn't quite ready for the NHL, but didn't belong in the OHL. What can you do...

He'll be here next year.

I hope...

Inferno 03-17-2007 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crease29 (Post 8535290)

He'll be here next year.

and they were 100% right. Marc just wasnt that great. He shows promise of being a GREAT defensive defenseman, but he needs more time, sadly its a wasted year because he has nothing left to learn in juniors, he needs to be in HFD.

FLYLine24 03-17-2007 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inferno272 (Post 8535360)
and they were 100% right. Marc just wasnt that great. He shows promise of being a GREAT defensive defenseman, but he needs more time, sadly its a wasted year because he has nothing left to learn in juniors, he needs to be in HFD.

Well it was either Juniors or the NHL (a waste year in his total years total in the NHL before hes a UFA)....so it was a lose, lose situation with us....I think he took the right choice though.

Capitain Midnight 03-17-2007 01:03 AM

could he have played in the russian super league or in the swedish elite league...perhaps that would have been better?

FLYLine24 03-17-2007 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capitain Midnight (Post 8535545)
could he have played in the russian super league or in the swedish elite league...perhaps that would have been better?

How many players in history have went from Juniors (that were NA) to a Russian league or the SEL?

I can't think of any..

Capitain Midnight 03-17-2007 01:19 AM

i have no idea, but that has got to be better competition than the ohl....

i don't feel like doing the research but perhaps there have been others

in the hall 03-17-2007 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capitain Midnight (Post 8535660)
i have no idea, but that has got to be better competition than the ohl....

i don't feel like doing the research but perhaps there have been others

thats not the best way to start off a relationship with the kid.. asking him to go way out of his environment and comfort zone when its really not even necessary

such a lame cliche but these athletes are also people.. maybe he's got a girlfriend or maybe he is closer to family, or maybe he just wouldn't want to move half way across the world

STA 03-17-2007 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balej20 (Post 8535295)
I hope...

The Rangers should not allow Marc Staal to ever play in the NHL.

Just to **** with his head and not let his ego get to big for his own good.

It'll make him a better player in the end.

Pogo 03-17-2007 09:29 AM

Did you guys see that he was the one voted to have the worst NHL career (least votes for best career, i just turned it around)?

UAGoalieGuy 03-17-2007 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pogo (Post 8536779)
Did you guys see that he was the one voted to have the worst NHL career (least votes for best career, i just turned it around)?

probably because the people voting were ignorant enough to believe that not putting up high offensive numbers equals not having a good NHL career.

Inferno 03-17-2007 01:37 PM

Quote:

well, it all depends, how exactly to you quantify who had a better career when you are talking defenseman versus centers versus wingers.

I dont know how you can quantify stuff like that, unless 1 of them doesnt make it to the nhl, or is just a regular player or whatever, but if they all have stellar careers, like we are all expecting, then i think the poll is just pointless.

dynamoovechkin 03-17-2007 01:52 PM

Yeah, that was a great interview with Jordan.
2005/2006- the year of Eric
2006/2007- the year of Jordan
2007/20080 the year of Marc? We can only hope...

Thunder Bay Ontario, the new Viking Alberta? What are they feeding the kids up there?

Thirty One 03-17-2007 01:53 PM

Quote:

well you can't really turn it around like that. I think he'll probably have a similarly successful career as Jordan, but of the two Jordan has a much better chance of being better than Erik.

and that poll shows that the legend of Jared lives on, and that not many people know much about him.

ATLANTARANGER* 03-17-2007 02:06 PM

If Marc Staal is as his brother states it goes in line with a player he reminds me of the most at this age, Larry Robinson and to a lesser degree Rod Langway. Robinson was not noted as a fighter, but you did not want to have to fight him. He was a good fighter for a guy not noted for dropping the gloves. Robinson started out very much like Marc Staal, not a noted offensive dman. His game evolved as he matured.

Langway was the same kind of player but ended up totally giving up his offensive game to become the prototypical defensive dman. But another guy who could throw them if he got PO'd.

If Marc Staal ends up similar to either player we have struck gold. I doubt he makes the team right out of camp. I expect him tostart the season in Hartford and around thanksgiving or christmas to be called up after he's gotten his feet wet and aclimated to the pro game.

True Blue Bleed Blue 03-18-2007 03:05 PM

in all honesty...

I would have taken Staal over Malik this year

BobMarleyNYR 03-18-2007 03:17 PM

It's really a matter of limiting/preserving his long-term potential... had he gone pro, he might've never maximized his potential. D-men don't come into the league at 19.

soundtigersfan 03-18-2007 03:25 PM

He doesn't belong in the NHL yet. He probably would have gotten walked all over and it could have really hurt his confidence and stunted his development. He belongs in the AHL, but due to the age restriction couldn't be placed there this year. He needs to spend some time in the AHL. Look at what the lockout year in the AHL did for Eric. He had a mediocre first year in the NHL, spent a year in the AHL, and came back to help lead his team to the Stanley Cup.

tronylon 03-18-2007 03:41 PM

Is Sudbury in the playoffs this year?

dank 03-18-2007 04:15 PM

yeah, their opponents will be determined later today..