HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Ranking the Flyers top 10 prospects (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=359496)

Gags1288 03-18-2007 06:18 PM

Ranking the Flyers top 10 prospects
 
In light of the recent top 50 and the exclusion of Ryan Parent from the list, I thought it'd be interesting to see people's views of our prospects. Obviously the top of the list will change with the draft. I'm using the criteria HF uses so I'm going to include Coburn and Ruzicka.

1. Steve Downie- over 2 ppg in OHL, another great WJC
2. Ryan Parent- 1A with Downie, maybe the best defensive defenseman prospect in the world
3. Braydon Coburn- Has shown great ability at NHL level, tremendous skater
4. Claude Giroux- Another good year in the Q, should be a WJC star next year
5. Ryan Potulny- Averaging close to a PPG in the AHL, played well at NHL level
6. Stefan Ruzicka- Been up and down at NHL level, but showing more confidence and playing better. Sanderson called him one of the most skilled players on the team.
7. Andreas Nodl- Tremendous freshman year for Saint Cloud, a year or two away
8. Mike Ratchuk- Quality freshman year at MSU, great skater
9. Oskars Bartulis- Another quality defenseman putting up a solid year in juniors
10. Denis Bodrov- Hard to evaluate because most haven't seen him play, but he's gotten good reviews from Russian fans who have watched him play

Ex Storm 03-18-2007 06:28 PM

I probably can't argue with you.

Parent and Downie should be 1A and 1B (which you said).

I haven't seen the bottom 4 play at all except for Bartulis a few times last season.

malfeasance 03-18-2007 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gags1288 (Post 8555800)
2. Ryan Parent- 1A with Downie, maybe the best defensive defenseman prospect in the world

Hmmm.

Ex Storm 03-18-2007 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by malfeasance (Post 8555919)
Hmmm.

You would argue that distinction belongs to...

And remember, we're talking about the defensive zone.

LaLaLaprise 03-18-2007 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup (Post 8555934)
You would argue that distinction belongs to...

And remember, we're talking about the defensive zone.

Marc Staal...

Im a pretty huge Parent fan, i had him top 10 in his NHL draft year but Staal is a king in his own zone.

Ex Storm 03-18-2007 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaLaLaprise (Post 8556093)
Marc Staal...

Im a pretty huge Parent fan, i had him top 10 in his NHL draft year but Staal is a king in his own zone.

So is Parent. It's impossible to quantify, all you can do is watch, but I'd say they are at worst equal in the defensive zone (for the argument in favour of Parent).

Gags1288 03-18-2007 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaLaLaprise (Post 8556093)
Marc Staal...

Im a pretty huge Parent fan, i had him top 10 in his NHL draft year but Staal is a king in his own zone.

I think Staal and maybe EJ are the only guys even in the discussion with Parent. That's why I said MAYBE the best defensive d-man prospect.

At any rate, does anyone have a different top 10?

PhillyFlyers1796 03-18-2007 07:46 PM

With the exception of ruzicka, potulny, and coburn...does anyone else on that list have a real shot at playing for the team next year?

JXC 03-18-2007 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gags1288 (Post 8556787)
At any rate, does anyone have a different top 10?

No but I sure would like to see their ages alongside their name. And I'm lazy.

GKJ 03-18-2007 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhillyFlyers1796 (Post 8556879)
With the exception of ruzicka, potulny, and coburn...does anyone else on that list have a real shot at playing for the team next year?

Giroux I think might get that 9-game deal Jordan Staal was going to have.

Kaktus* 03-18-2007 08:09 PM

I think Marc Staal overall is a better then Parent.

blah 03-18-2007 08:11 PM

I doubt that. Downie, Potulny, Ruzicka, and Parent would all gets looks before Giroux. Homer said they think he needs to fill out anyway.

Gags1288 03-18-2007 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JXC (Post 8556896)
No but I sure would like to see their ages alongside their name. And I'm lazy.

1. Steve Downie (19, 20 in April)
2. Ryan Parent (20, just hit 20 in March)
3. Braydon Coburn (22)
4. Claude Giroux (19)
5. Ryan Potulny (22)
6. Stefan Ruzicka (22)
7. Andreas Nodl (20)
8. Mike Ratchuk (19)
9. Oskars Bartulis (20)
10. Denis Bodrov (20)

I think the top 6 actually have a chance to play with the Flyers next season, but some obviously have a better chance than others and only Coburn is likely guaranteed a spot.

Staal might be better overall (it's pretty close), but I was talking from a strictly defensive defenseman aspect, where I don't think anyone is Parent's superior.

Ex Storm 03-18-2007 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaktus (Post 8557198)
I think Marc Staal overall is a better then Parent.

There's no doubt, Staal brings some offensive ability.

But in the defensive zone, it's pretty hard to be wrong picking either one of them.

daynus 03-18-2007 08:37 PM

nice list

CantSeeColors 03-18-2007 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 (Post 8557097)
Giroux I think might get that 9-game deal Jordan Staal was going to have.

I was just thinking earlier I'd love to see that if we can't sign a veteran winger to put with Carter and Upshall. You just know that's going to be Giroux's spot in a few years, so if there's a chance to give him a little test I'd be intrigued to see him.

Chainsaw 03-19-2007 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gags1288 (Post 8557331)
1. Steve Downie (19, 20 in April)
2. Ryan Parent (20, just hit 20 in March)
3. Braydon Coburn (22)
4. Claude Giroux (19)
5. Ryan Potulny (22)
6. Stefan Ruzicka (22)
7. Andreas Nodl (20)
8. Mike Ratchuk (19)
9. Oskars Bartulis (20)
10. Denis Bodrov (20)

I think the top 6 actually have a chance to play with the Flyers next season, but some obviously have a better chance than others and only Coburn is likely guaranteed a spot.

Staal might be better overall (it's pretty close), but I was talking from a strictly defensive defenseman aspect, where I don't think anyone is Parent's superior.

I pretty well agree with the above list. I do like Ruzicka better than Potulny but that is just a personal preference. Honorable mentions not on list include

Kevin Romy - Lots of talk about this guy last year. Injuries a worry, missed Olympics.
Jakub Kovar - Most nights best player on the ice.
Jon Rheault - Having success at picking NCAA players this one looks no different
Jonathan Matsumoto - Goal and an assist with Phantoms last night
Andrei Popov - No luck bringing talented Russian forwards over here
Alexander Drozdetsky - Inge Hammarstrom loved this guy. As long as the official Flyer website lists him as a prospect i will still hope to see this guy in a Flyers Jersey

Jester 03-19-2007 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CantSeeColors (Post 8559172)
I was just thinking earlier I'd love to see that if we can't sign a veteran winger to put with Carter and Upshall. You just know that's going to be Giroux's spot in a few years, so if there's a chance to give him a little test I'd be intrigued to see him.

Holmgren doesn't think he's ready... i'm pretty convinced of that after his "weak" comment in evaluating Giroux. So, I would be pretty shocked if they made decisions around the belief that Giroux is going to stick with the team in the fall.

I also would really like to see a veteran playing alongside Carter and Upshall, just to help them with their consistency some. Lines obviously shift around some, but having the ability to do that wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Maybe you stick Knuble on that line and let Giroux play with Gagne and impending UFA center.

We shall see... what this team looks like around July 15th should be interesting.

JXC 03-19-2007 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gags1288 (Post 8557331)
1. Steve Downie (19, 20 in April)
2. Ryan Parent (20, just hit 20 in March)
3. Braydon Coburn (22)
4. Claude Giroux (19)
5. Ryan Potulny (22)
6. Stefan Ruzicka (22)
7. Andreas Nodl (20)
8. Mike Ratchuk (19)
9. Oskars Bartulis (20)
10. Denis Bodrov (20)

I think the top 6 actually have a chance to play with the Flyers next season, but some obviously have a better chance than others and only Coburn is likely guaranteed a spot.

Thanks, Gags, for the numbers.

I don't know that we'll see much ice from these guys outside of Coburn and one of Potulny / Ruzicka next year; the Flyers have those tons of money for UFAs and I expect them top spend nearly all of it.

Jester 03-19-2007 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JXC (Post 8561135)
Thanks, Gags, for the numbers.

I don't know that we'll see much ice from these guys outside of Coburn and one of Potulny / Ruzicka next year; the Flyers have those tons of money for UFAs and I expect them top spend nearly all of it.

i would bet that Downie and Parent will see some spot duty when injuries happen (which judging by the past couple of years there will be plenty of opportunity for them), and Coburn will definitely be seeing minutes... a lot i'd imagine. it will be interesting how this all shakes out for Ruzicka and Potulny.

personally, i think Coburn is a better "prospect" than Parent... which is no slight to Parent. Parent is probably more likely to achieve his potential... i just think the potential of a kid as big as Coburn with his skating ability is higher if he puts it all together (which is the hard part). it will be interesting to see this defense develop in the next few years... it should be a strength for this club.

Bird Law 03-19-2007 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaktus (Post 8557198)
I think Marc Staal overall is a better then Parent.

I think so too, but it's a ****ing JOKE that Parent isn't on the list. Granted he wasn't on last year, but ****** players like Robert Nilsson are on there!

If Parent isn't better than Nilsson in the long run, I'd be SHOCKED.

Zamboni Express 03-19-2007 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gags1288 (Post 8555800)
In light of the recent top 50 and the exclusion of Ryan Parent from the list, I thought it'd be interesting to see people's views of our prospects. Obviously the top of the list will change with the draft. I'm using the criteria HF uses so I'm going to include Coburn and Ruzicka.

1. Steve Downie- over 2 ppg in OHL, another great WJC
2. Ryan Parent- 1A with Downie, maybe the best defensive defenseman prospect in the world
3. Braydon Coburn- Has shown great ability at NHL level, tremendous skater
4. Claude Giroux- Another good year in the Q, should be a WJC star next year
5. Ryan Potulny- Averaging close to a PPG in the AHL, played well at NHL level
6. Stefan Ruzicka- Been up and down at NHL level, but showing more confidence and playing better. Sanderson called him one of the most skilled players on the team.
7. Andreas Nodl- Tremendous freshman year for Saint Cloud, a year or two away
8. Mike Ratchuk- Quality freshman year at MSU, great skater
9. Oskars Bartulis- Another quality defenseman putting up a solid year in juniors
10. Denis Bodrov- Hard to evaluate because most haven't seen him play, but he's gotten good reviews from Russian fans who have watched him play



Very nice list.....Let's speculate here a bit and say the Flyer's drafted Patrick Kane. Where would you rank him? I would rank him at 2 behind Parent.

GKJ 03-19-2007 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blah (Post 8557220)
I doubt that. Downie, Potulny, Ruzicka, and Parent would all gets looks before Giroux. Homer said they think he needs to fill out anyway.

Some of the same things were said about Jordan Staal. The other guys can still all get sent down. That said if Giroux doesn't have a good enough preseason it won't mater.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zamboni Express (Post 8561230)
Very nice list.....Let's speculate here a bit and say the Flyer's drafted Patrick Kane. Where would you rank him? I would rank him at 2 behind Parent.

There is no question that Pat Kane would be the Flyers #1 prospect.

Jester 03-19-2007 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 (Post 8561251)
Some of the same things were said about Jordan Staal. The other guys can still all get sent down. That said if Giroux doesn't have a good enough preseason it won't mater.

Jordan Staal is 6'4" and 215lbs.

Claude Giroux is 5'10" and 169lbs.

we're talking about two completely different players physically... Staal will certainly continue to fill out one would imagine, but physically he is/was in much better shape to play in this league... i don't think the situation and concerns over Giroux's physical ability to play in this league is even remotely comparable to Staal.

BobbyClarkeFan16 03-19-2007 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester (Post 8561266)
Claude Giroux is 5'10" and 169lbs.

5'11, 172. If Claude puts on 8 pounds of muscle over the summer (not an impossible thing to do either), he should be ok. I personally love his game and he's one of those players that when people doubt him, he seems to play his best. I'd rather not rush him, but if he's ready, then the Flyers should make room for him.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:05 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.