HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Staal straight to the NHL? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=359740)

n_a_c 03-19-2007 02:25 PM

Staal straight to the NHL?

Sam said he thinks that will happen in his blog:
http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/2007/0...rom-the-skate/

Given all of our injuries - it would make sense to try it. Thoughts??

Nich 03-19-2007 02:30 PM

i could see it...

RangerBoy 03-19-2007 02:42 PM

There are only 20 days remaining in the season.It goes by so fast.Would love to see Staal play but....

Quote:

Series "C" - MISSISSAUGA vs. SUDBURY

Fri., March 23 at Mississauga 7:30
Sun., March 25 at Mississauga 8:00
Tues., March 27 at Sudbury 7:30
Thurs., March 29 at Sudbury 7:30
Sun., April 1 at Mississauga 7:00 *
Mon., April 2 at Sudbury 7:30 *
Tues., April 3 at Mississauga 7:00 *
http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/news/?id=3397

Even if Sudbury gets swept,Staal won't be ready to join the Rangers until the last five games of the season.Do you think Tom Renney is inserting a 20 year old kid straight out of junior into the line-up with the Rangers fighting for every point?Fedor Tyutin should be back by the end of next week.These guys don't want to play David Liffiton who has two years of pro experience under his belt and would rather bring back Jason Strudwick so the idea of Staal getting into the line-up for the last week of the season against the Toronto,Islanders,Montreal and Pitt seems rather:huh:

tronylon 03-19-2007 03:09 PM

I doubt it happens. Esp w/ Toots coming back.

blue2noise 03-19-2007 03:30 PM

He's gonna make Renney's 3 minutes count!

lotus 03-19-2007 03:39 PM

He wouldn't be eligible for playoffs because he was in juniors all year right? Just speculating our current trends *knock on wood*.

But yeah, would be interesting. If our backline is healthy however, I wouldn't go benching people and breaking their morale right before the playoffs just to get the youngin some ice time.

DutchShamrock 03-19-2007 05:23 PM

His time would best be spent going straight to Hartford to get accustomed to his new teammates and a new league. Let him finish out Hartford's schedule to prepare him for Hartford's playoffs, to put him into a position to succeed.

If Sam's evidence for this move is the fact that the Rangers are saving their final recall.... well I don't know, man. Maybe they're just saving it in case they, I don't know, need it?

Ola 03-19-2007 05:27 PM

I wouldn't bet allot of money on Staal stepping right into the NHL.

But, at the same time, I am telling you, Staal can't be compared to any other kid this organization have had since Alex Kovalev, besides Lundqvist but he is a goalie.

He is a notch above Sundström who were pretty darn good at a young age too, Nik actually completly stopped developing when he came here, won the a scoring title in a WJC all by himself before that. Though he maybe enjoyed the lifestyle in NY a bit too much, never had that drive to put him over the top.

We can't expect to look at Thomas Pöck, and draw any conclusions on how Staal will be handled.

Marc Staal is a damn good hockeyplayer, damn good.

nyr7andcounting 03-19-2007 05:31 PM

If it's down to him and Strudwick than why not. I could definately see the Rangers carrying Staal as a scratch in the playoffs just to get him that experience

nyr2k2 03-19-2007 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerBoy (Post 8565121)
There are only 20 days remaining in the season.It goes by so fast.Would love to see Staal play but....

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/news/?id=3397

Even if Sudbury gets swept,Staal won't be ready to join the Rangers until the last five games of the season.Do you think Tom Renney is inserting a 20 year old kid straight out of junior into the line-up with the Rangers fighting for every point?Fedor Tyutin should be back by the end of next week.These guys don't want to play David Liffiton who has two years of pro experience under his belt and would rather bring back Jason Strudwick so the idea of Staal getting into the line-up for the last week of the season against the Toronto,Islanders,Montreal and Pitt seems rather:huh:

Good post. I wouldn't bet on Staal coming straight up, barring more catastrophic injuries.

WheresBarnaby 03-19-2007 05:38 PM

Staal is supposed to be a Ranger, next year. This years iI'm pretty sure can't happen, and I'd rather not rush him, even with our injuries.

rickyrod 03-19-2007 09:38 PM

I'd rather he spend time in the AHL getting used to our system and game speed before coming up here.

ogie 03-20-2007 11:58 AM

i highly doubt the rangers will call up Staal with the signing of Strudwick and Fedor's imminent return. Unfortunatly I do not see him making the team right away next year either. Only one Ranger defenseman is a free agent at the end of this year being Karel, and i doubt the Rangers will let him walk. The only way he breaks the lineup is if the Rangers trade someone away.

dank 03-20-2007 12:03 PM

no reason to rush him.. especially since he did not play in the A this year..

nyrmessier011 03-20-2007 12:09 PM

Callahan, 21 - 5 games
Girardi, 22 - 25 games
Dubinsky, 20 - 6 games

We're trusing young inexperienced guys right now, granted they are AHLers in our system. That being said I think they will seriously consider throwing Staal right in if Toots isn't back, I would, but I'm not the cigar smoking meathead in the front office

007 03-20-2007 01:12 PM

I'd look for him on the Rangers next season. This season: I doubt it.

shon 03-21-2007 05:23 PM

Staal is a first round draft pick . Do you not think he is good enough to make the jump right to the NHL. Girardi was a no body , not drafted free agent and he seems to have made the jump in a short time. Faster than the 2nd round picks.?? Staal should make it just on his name alone.

Ola 03-21-2007 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shon (Post 8593900)
Staal is a first round draft pick . Do you not think he is good enough to make the jump right to the NHL. Girardi was a no body , not drafted free agent and he seems to have made the jump in a short time. Faster than the 2nd round picks.?? Staal should make it just on his name alone.

Girardi where damn good and made it right away.

Its a bit shaky to go from juniors to playing against men, its completly diffrent.

So, its a big jump for Staal, though I do think they will look into it if Pöck and Struds are still playing.

Staal is a Staal. And Staal is also damn good.

pyattrocks* 03-21-2007 05:40 PM

Why bring Staal here right away when you have Baranka. There is no reason to do that. Plus Renney fell back into his ridiculous habit of wanting low talent defenseman back there with Strudwick.

DutchShamrock 03-21-2007 06:39 PM

Girardi didn't make it right away. He put in a season and a half of Pro hockey before he made it to New York. Staal has only played amongst boys so far, not men.

Besides, Renney isn't comfortable (and since the playoffs are within sight rightly so) playing guys like Pock or Liffiton who have played well but lack experience. Do you really think Staal is going to get productive minutes on this team?

True Blue 03-22-2007 10:23 PM

Right now, I can't see Staal making it right out of camp. I believe that Girardi has made a spot for himself on the 3rd pairing. One would hope that someone like a Baranka could join him on the 3rd pair. I think that Staal is heading for Hartford to start the year.

Son of Steinbrenner 03-22-2007 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mugerya (Post 8594725)
Girardi didn't make it right away. He put in a season and a half of Pro hockey before he made it to New York. Staal has only played amongst boys so far, not men.

Besides, Renney isn't comfortable (and since the playoffs are within sight rightly so) playing guys like Pock or Liffiton who have played well but lack experience. Do you really think Staal is going to get productive minutes on this team?

Staal at 20 might be miles ahead of both Pock and Liffiton...

in the hall 03-22-2007 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mugerya (Post 8594725)

I would not say Pock has played well.. I can see him having more confidence in Staal

eco's bones 03-23-2007 01:24 AM

It's a possibility but I'm not sure it will happen. Staal came out of juniors last year and played fairly well in Hartford's playoff run so it's not like he doesn't have some pro experience. Eligible or not for the playoffs would be one question? The Rangers need to have at least 7 d-men going into the playoffs--and actually going to the playoffs is not a slam dunk as it tightened up again last night. Another injury to a defenseman and the Staal scenario takes on a bit more likelihood.

mucker* 03-23-2007 06:12 PM

Maybe I've come to the wrong place but please objectivity, just how good a prospect is Staal and Sengeuinti (Butcher I know)?

I've heard for years about Lundmark, Brendhl, Balej, are these guys the real deal and if so what specifically destinguinshes them from most of the NYR orginzational players the last decade?

I don't want to get excited over little things.