HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Gatti vs Dorin Olympic stadium june 24th 2004 (rds.ca) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=36106)

JeromeHP 12-15-2003 05:26 AM

Gatti vs Dorin Olympic stadium june 24th 2004 (rds.ca)

Wow this is going to be great, got to be there!

http://www.rds.ca/cgi-bin/nouvelles?...n&sport=#93055

JeromeHP 12-15-2003 05:47 AM

http://www.rds.ca/boxe/chroniques/BOXE3FDCE322.html

BigM1ke 12-15-2003 06:03 AM

Bah I really don't know what to think about this... I still have difficulties to accept the fact that Dorin forfeit the title at his last match... That pissed me off.... And I'm not a big fan of Gatti....

Habsolution 12-15-2003 07:21 AM

I'm a big fan of Gatti and I'll be there cheering for him to lay a HUUUUUUGE beating on the lion.

Joe Cole 12-15-2003 11:13 AM

This is gonna be a bloodbath.

Gatti is great, he has talent, he will trade punches, has a ton of heart and doesn't know how to quit.

As for Dorin, his disappearance at his last fight...there is either a physcological issue here or a mob connection. That said, if he shows up, he is a great little boxer.

Do you remember that heavy weight that had a breakdown in the ring and started crying, and refused to fight? What was his name?

Habsolution 12-15-2003 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Cole
This is gonna be a bloodbath.

Gatti is great, he has talent, he will trade punches, has a ton of heart and doesn't know how to quit.

As for Dorin, his disappearance at his last fight...there is either a physcological issue here or a mob connection. That said, if he shows up, he is a great little boxer.

Do you remember that heavy weight that had a breakdown in the ring and started crying, and refused to fight? What was his name?

Against Lewis ? Oliver McCall.

But Golota also acted weird against the same Lewis.

Joe Cole 12-15-2003 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habsolution
Against Lewis ? Oliver McCall

I do not remember if it was Lewis, but what stood out was the he just stood there and cried. He had a moustache...right?

Habsolution 12-15-2003 11:27 AM

Quote:

I do not remember if it was Lewis, but what stood out was the he just stood there and cried. He had a moustache...right?

I don't remember if he had a pinch or not.

Was it long ago ?

The McCall-Lewis fight was rematch. McCall had beaten Lewis in the first fight with Manny Steward in his corner. But then Steward left McCall and went with Lewis. In the rematch McCall just started to cry between round 5 and 6.

Lewis record : check out his fight against McCall

Here's what it says :

This fight was stopped as McCall refused to fight back, choosing instead to wander aimlessly around the ring in one of the most bizarre bouts ever to take place

It was in 1997

Joe Cole 12-15-2003 12:00 PM

Quote:

good site!

Boxing is such a great (dirty) sport.

Habsolution 12-15-2003 12:11 PM

Quote:

good site!

Boxing is such a great (dirty) sport.

Yeah www.boxrec.com should give you any info you're looking for about any professional bouts and boxers pro records.

Boxing is the sport I enjoy watching the most after hockey.

Joe Cole 12-15-2003 03:34 PM

Quote:

Yeah www.boxrec.com should give you any info you're looking for about any professional bouts and boxers pro records.

Boxing is the sport I enjoy watching the most after hockey.

My wife and myself too. She has been a fight fan since the late 70's at Centre Pierre Charbaneau. Her fave boxer, Sugar Ray Leonard. Mine.... Marlelous Marvin Hagler (maybe Roy Jones....) or Dave Hilton in his prime.

You?

Habsolution 12-16-2003 02:58 AM

Quote:

My wife and myself too. She has been a fight fan since the late 70's at Centre Pierre Charbaneau. Her fave boxer, Sugar Ray Leonard. Mine.... Marlelous Marvin Hagler (maybe Roy Jones....) or Dave Hilton in his prime.

You?

Man you must have hated Sugar Ray when he won against the Marvelous. And your wife was probably ecstatic :p

Everyone thought Sugar Ray was done after the long lay off, the retinia, etc. Then Marvin was so much bigger, stronger and he looked unbeatable after his win against Mugabi and Hearns. I read a great Leonard interview about the Hagler fight. It's really interesting. Here's the link :

Leonard interview on the Hagler fight

My favourite of the fabulous four (Leonard, Hagler, Hearns and Duran) was definately The Hitman. He had such an unbelievable right. Such speed. His fight against Hagler will go down as one of the best I've ever seen.

As of right now my favourite boxers are in no particular order :

Jermain "Bad Intentions" Taylor : a nice prospect. He won the bronze at the olympics and he's now undefeated with 18(13)-0-0. He has great power and good technique. He sticks the jab with A LOT of authority.

James Toney : Gotta love his willingness to fight. He has taken out the best at cruiser and he is now at heavyweight. This guy once was a middleweight champ and he is now laying a beating on those big heavy weights. He is fighting McCline soon and he already called out another heavy.

Floyd Mayweather : Easily among the top 5 pound 4 pound fighter in the world right now. The quality of opposition is there. The talent is there. What more can you want.

Manny "The Packman" Pacquiao : Also called the destroyer for good reasons. His explosive speed and power are unbelievable. He just lay a beating on one of the best P4P fighter in the world Marco Antonio Barrera. A human knock out machine.

Gatti : He wins a spot on my favourite boxers list because this guy can't give a bad show. He's not the most talented but he has such a huge heart and chin. You just can't make him quit. He can throw some nice powerful combos too. His recent association with Buddy McGirt has transformed him into a much better fighter. He now has more option than just outslug his opponent. He has the talent to box less skiled opponents like Ward which will enable him to have a longer career. Hail Arturo Gatti !!!

I used to be Jones number one fan. He is the most talented boxer since Leonard (even more than him IMO) but Reluctant Roy just doesn't have the heart to go down as one of the 3 best boxers ever. He still has some fights left to prove me wrong and I sincerly hope he takes them. So what if he loses another fight. He was never really hit during his whole career. Surely he can take a chance with those big heavyweights and prove his talent. Fighting plumbers and bums just won't get me to recognize him. Ruiz was one of the worst heavyweight champion ever. He should be fighting guys like Lewis, Sanders, Tua, Byrd, Toney and even Tyson.

As for an all time list I'd go with Salvador Sanchez, Thomas Hearns, Aaron Pryor, Ali and George Foreman. Whom I believe could have beaten the old Ali if he had had a brain.