HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Think Sather's feeling pressure? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=36127)

Fletch 12-15-2003 07:35 AM

Think Sather's feeling pressure?

just seems that recently he's been taking more criticisms in the press, and has been giving out a good deal of criticisms too of late, even going on a tirad the other day in practice. Just thinking that there may be some pressure on him, for a change, and his way of dealing with it is to call out guys like Lindros to get him out of hot water with lil' Jimmy.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 12-15-2003 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletch
just seems that recently he's been taking more criticisms in the press, and has been giving out a good deal of criticisms too of late, even going on a tirad the other day in practice. Just thinking that there may be some pressure on him, for a change, and his way of dealing with it is to call out guys like Lindros to get him out of hot water with lil' Jimmy.

*sigh* I don't know what to think anymore.

Sure Sather is taking some criticism because he really is the only target (although I'm sure he would love to lay some heat off on to Renney). The players are by and large the same, this is completely 100% Sather's team, he could not find a coach this off season, and now he is killing the guy that he has built this team around in Lindros. It seems to me that f Sather is going to give Messier first line center minutes, shouldn't he atl least surround him with first line talent?

And I don't think he needs to kill Lindros in the press to get himself out of hot water with lil' Jimmy. Lil Jimmy doesn't know enough to need that. What I don't understand is what killing Lindros in the press really achieves.

Fletch 12-15-2003 07:46 AM

Gets Lindros going?

Sather went out in the market with Lindros, came back with little, got upset and lambasted him. Perhaps the same happened with Carter. Otherwise I think Sather would be silly to talk to the press about a player and potentially decrease his value.

True Blue 12-15-2003 07:49 AM

I said a while ago that comments made by some of the players make me think that Sather is loosing the team. He could have a full-scale mutiny on his hands, led by the Lindros and Holik, you know the guys he loves to use as 4th liners. Like us, I think that the players are realizing that he is not putting his team in the best position to win games. I said it before, can anyone point to just one thing that Sather has done better than Trotts? He fired Trottier for this level of play.
Problem is, we all know that Lil' Jimmy loves him. However, how much would he love him when all the players except Messier and Leetch revolt?
I still think that Dolan's hands are tied. He cannot fire Sather as that would require him to hire 3 people to fill all 3 of Sather's positions.

Melrose_Jr. 12-15-2003 08:06 AM

Fletch, "get Lindros going"? What more can we really expect from him? Sather's gotta be a realist about Eric's potential production.

Dolan himself is in a real pickle. Pretend he does fire the coach and GM, then what are his chances of getting this team into the playoffs? Almost zero. Having Sather turn this thing around is really the only chance for the '03/'04 Rangers at this point.

kazo 12-15-2003 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by True Blue
I said a while ago that comments made by some of the players make me think that Sather is loosing the team. He could have a full-scale mutiny on his hands, led by the Lindros and Holik, you know the guys he loves to use as 4th liners. Like us, I think that the players are realizing that he is not putting his team in the best position to win games. I said it before, can anyone point to just one thing that Sather has done better than Trotts? He fired Trottier for this level of play.
Problem is, we all know that Lil' Jimmy loves him. However, how much would he love him when all the players except Messier and Leetch revolt?
I still think that Dolan's hands are tied. He cannot fire Sather as that would require him to hire 3 people to fill all 3 of Sather's positions.

It could be an interim hire of Don Maloney. That would pretty much offset Sather's salary. Of course, he would still be owed the balance of his contract.

Also, don't you guys think that the possibilty of any significant trades being made this year are pretty remote given the labor situation? I just don't see any big contracts changing hands, unless it's a wash, until the new CBA gets resolved.

drewcon40 12-15-2003 08:13 AM

Didn't little Jimmy Dolan promise to lower ticket prices if the Rangers did not qualify for the playoffs this year?

Anyway, this situation is getting explosive. Sather publically criticizing Lindros and Carter. The losses mounting up. Even Jimmy Dolan has to have a threshold and admit that he has made an error in the Sather hiring. Who knows, maybe Jimmy Dolan will wait for the off season,

True Blue 12-15-2003 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewcon40
Who knows, maybe Jimmy Dolan will wait for the off season,

I figure that by that time, the Rangers will be fully entrenched in the possiblity of getting the #1 pick overall.

dedalus 12-15-2003 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by True Blue
I figure that by that time, the Rangers will be fully entrenched in the possiblity of getting the #1 pick overall.

See that's exactly the problem. If the team would simply bow to the inevitable cycle of rise and decline, they could actually LAND a top three pick and thus a talent like Gaborik, Heatley, Kovalchuk, etc. Instead they keep buying enough talent to strand them at mediocrity.

Burberry Manning 12-15-2003 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dedalus
See that's exactly the problem. If the team would simply bow to the inevitable cycle of rise and decline, they could actually LAND a top three pick and thus a talent like Gaborik, Heatley, Kovalchuk, etc. Instead they keep buying enough talent to strand them at mediocrity.

Seriously, I would have no problem what-so-ever if we just decided to suck it up and give up on the present team and build for the future. I can take the losing. What I cant take is the losing without any possible direction in sight. If Sather just made up his mind and said "we will suck for a while, but it's a rebuilding stage for the future" than I would be all for it and know what to expect. But right now this team has no definative direction. We arent building for the future and we sure as hell arent making a cup run. If we just built a roster like the Penguins and got a chance at Ovechkin and Crosby than I would be alot more excited about this team.

Av-merican 12-15-2003 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
Dolan himself is in a real pickle. Pretend he does fire the coach and GM, then what are his chances of getting this team into the playoffs? Almost zero. Having Sather turn this thing around is really the only chance for the '03/'04 Rangers at this point.

But that's just it. Is it really worth seeing the Rangers stumble into the playoffs just so they can be ousted in the first round?

Dolan should (but he won't) fire Sather and bring in a coach and GM who will PLAY the kids. Enough is enough, there's no way around rebuilding. One good thing Sather has done is build the prospect base back up to respectability. But it's time those prospects became players. Sather is an anachronism and the game has passed him by. He needs to go, and forget about turning this team around. It's not built to make the playoffs, it's most certainly not built to go anywhere if they happened to sneak into the postseason. And on top of that, Messier will be hospitalized for exhaustion should he log 20 minutes a game into the postseason...

klingsor 12-15-2003 06:35 PM

I'd be very surprised if Dolan fired Sather.

He hasn't fired Layden or Chaney (actually extnded his contract) and they both suck.

I think most of the pressure on Sather comes from within. We all know he's got a giant ego and it's fairly obvious to everyone (except Dolan) that he's failed so far.

I'd be very happy if I'm wrong and Dolan cans him if we lose to the Fishstix.