HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Habs vs. Anyone... but Jersey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=361552)

shutehinside 03-24-2007 12:13 PM

Habs vs. Anyone... but Jersey

I have an aching feeling that the Eastern Conference this year out of many is one of those open anyone can take it years. The Habs have shown they can beat almost any team in the conference execpt of course, Jersey. I think that if they do make the playoffs, the actually have a ligit shot to go very far especially when you consider a couple of things.
First, Huet should be back by the end of the season and Halak seems to be able to shoulder the burden till he can work his way back. One of the biggest knocks on Huet had been his inability to stay consistent after playing alot of games in a row. Now with him having been sidelined for an extended period of time he can come back fresh for the final run.
Secondly, the team seems to be finding the stride it had earlier in the season before Christmas and with Sammy permanentley benched the chemistry on the team seems to be shifting and lines more easily juggled to create more offence.
Thirdly, kids are really playing well which puts a lot more pressure on the veterans in the play offs to not be outperformed and to pick it up a gear and not be utplayed by a rookie.
Fourth, the work ethic and plugger mentality also seems to be back as players are starting to make the sacrifices they know they have to make in desperation hockey to win games even when having to come back. This shows a lot of character and when the Habs have more come back wins then any other team (10) it shows a desire and no quit attitude that you need to win in the play-offs.
Lastly, Koivu and Kovalev in the playoffs are money. They both really pick it up and can carry a team to victory. Hopefully the team can bring all of these things together because as I said, this year seems to be one of those years when anything can happen, as long as we stay away from Jersey. With all that being said, we're probably gonna play them in the first round :(

Capitano 03-24-2007 12:53 PM

I wouldn't mind playing NJ. That's when our media could actually shine! Imagine somebody mentioning Brodeur's affair with his sister in law all over again :naughty:

Pascal 03-24-2007 01:04 PM

I hate games vs Jersey, those trapping nits.

Maddas* 03-24-2007 01:26 PM

NJ will probably find a way to end it in 3 games if we play them.

Traitor8 03-24-2007 01:44 PM

Pittsburgh might win the Atlantic and that would mean that Pittsburgh is 2nd in the East and Jersey falls to 5th.

Another possibility is Habs finish 6th where we can play Tampa or Atlanta.

tiredman 03-24-2007 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capitano (Post 8628317)
I wouldn't mind playing NJ. That's when our media could actually shine! Imagine somebody mentioning Brodeur's affair with his sister in law all over again :naughty:

Too bad Patrick Roy isn't the coach. He's great for these things :D .

guest1467 03-24-2007 01:50 PM

Yeah I would agree. Montreal's krytonite is NJ. If we were to play Buffalo in the first round I sincerly believe we would have a legitimate chance to take them out. If we were to play Atlanta, I would be very happy, I dont think they have what it takes. Any of the Southeast teams are very beatable.

WeThreeKings 03-24-2007 02:30 PM

Problem is.. if everything stays it is.. and we play Buffalo and somehow win.. we play NJ the next round..

MoonlightGraham 03-24-2007 02:36 PM

Yeah we've won like what 2 games in the last 15 years against New Jersey? Buffalo is still ahead so if we make the playoffs we'll probably be 8th and play the Sabres. I'd like to play the Sabres, we've had great games against them this year, and they'll have a lot of pressure being 1st in the conference. I can see us beating them...

jcpenny 03-24-2007 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1;8629186[B
]Yeah I would agree. Montreal's krytonite is NJ[/B]. If we were to play Buffalo in the first round I sincerly believe we would have a legitimate chance to take them out. If we were to play Atlanta, I would be very happy, I dont think they have what it takes. Any of the Southeast teams are very beatable.

I dont fear the devils. Last year it was the Hurricanes and they certainly did not outplayed the Habs. Playoffs=New season

Habs13 03-24-2007 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maddas (Post 8628822)
NJ will probably find a way to end it in 3 games if we play them.

You mean like Carolina did?

Namso 03-24-2007 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HABS456 (Post 8629132)
Too bad Patrick Roy isn't the coach. He's great for these things :D .

very true!!:biglaugh:

oli500 03-24-2007 05:18 PM

If we ever want to become a force in the east or win a cup were going to have to learn to beat teams that we have problem playing againts. That why I wouldent mind facing the devils or the huricanes. We have to learn to beat are darkhorse teams if we ever want to acheive greatnes.

shutehinside 03-24-2007 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oli500 (Post 8632019)
If we ever want to become a force in the east or win a cup were going to have to learn to beat teams that we have problem playing againts. That why I wouldent mind facing the devils or the huricanes. We have to learn to beat are darkhorse teams if we ever want to acheive greatnes.

I think every team, no matter how great always has atleast one team that they just can't beat. Detroit couldn't get past Nashville, Ottawa could not beat T.O, Boston helpless against the Habs etc..
I don't think it reflects poorly on a team, its just the way it is sometimes.

brownman* 03-24-2007 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 (Post 8629186)
Any of the Southeast teams are very beatable.

I think we all said the same thing in 2004 and 2006 :sarcasm: