HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Giacomin (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=363498)

The Thomas J.* 03-29-2007 10:25 PM

Giacomin

I was watching the MSG special #1 Eddie Giacomin, I was always under the impression that he was traded to the Wings, I did not know he was waived. Does anyone know why they just let him go with out getting anything in return?

HockeyBasedNYC 03-29-2007 10:31 PM

The Rangers got off to a bad start in 75 and Emile Francis was getting rid of some high priced vets, an aging Gacomin being one of them. Detroit was interesting in Giacomin from the inception of his career and gobbled him up. The Rangers had a new young goalie on the rise that they gave a shot to... a guy named John Davidson.

Its funny because on that special they mention the mines where he and his brother worked in Sudbury Ontario, and it just so happens to be the same company my brother sells Nickel for - called INCO.

One of my brothers contacts in Winnepeg is Colton Orr's father-in-law. In fact when Colton wasnt playing much last year my brother had contacted his father-in-law for a deal and since he knew my brother and I were big fans of the Rangers he had Colton meet up with us at the Garden and we hung out with him in the green room on a couple of occasions. Colton was very nice to us - two strangers - and we basically hung out and watched two games together.

Small world.

The Thomas J.* 03-29-2007 10:49 PM

Thank you so much for filling me in!
Great story about Colton Orr, One other think that I find intresting is the Rangers actually pinched Pennies in those days.

Choice 03-30-2007 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Thomas J. (Post 8698160)
Thank you so much for filling me in!
Great story about Colton Orr, One other think that I find intresting is the Rangers actually pinched Pennies in those days.

Seems like it wasnt so much pinching pennies as it was what we here at HF crave, a decision to go with youth.

eco's bones 03-30-2007 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyChoice (Post 8699003)
Seems like it wasnt so much pinching pennies as it was what we here at HF crave, a decision to go with youth.

...though one of the Rangers owners back then when asked whether it was more important for the Rangers to make the playoffs or turn a profit opted for the profit--which caused a minor uproar. The Rangers have gone through a few owners since then.

shoothepuck 03-30-2007 07:24 AM

I remember the day Giacomin was waived like it was yesterday. All us Rangers fans were thinking, what the hell are they doing, but back then, after not winning the cup the year before, a shake-up was inevitable. It was a sad year for fans.

alkurtz 03-30-2007 07:25 AM

The Giacomin deal really marked the end of the Francis era.
That team followed a classic arc of development. A bunch of young players maturing together (Gilbert, Ratelle, Giacomin, and others), becoming an elite team for a series of years, and then deteriorating as they aged.
There was a real sense that an era was over and after so many years of success (but no Cup) it was disconcerting, frustrating, and sad.
I think that feeling was behind much of the crowd reaction that night (I was there). As much as it was love for Giacomin (the heart and soul of the team and the player symbolic of our rise from league doormat in the yearly 60s to league power in the late 60s and early 70s), frustation, sadness, and even nostaglia, powered the crowd the night

Trottier 03-30-2007 01:32 PM

And, a couple of years later, the Rangers waived Rod Gilbert on Thanksgiving night.

True story.

The mid-70s were not the halcyon days for the franchise.

eco's bones 03-30-2007 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trottier (Post 8703299)
And, a couple of years later, the Rangers waived Rod Gilbert on Thanksgiving night.

True story.

The mid-70s were not the halcyon days for the franchise.

That's true Trottier but Gilbert had gotten old and had a lost a lot and rather rapidly.
It's funny that of the Rangers 4 real big stars--Tkaczuk and Hadfield were very good players but not of the status of Giacomin, Park, Ratelle and Gilbert who all became HOF'ers it was Park and Ratelle who they traded to Boston who had the most longevity as productive players though Park was the youngest--he had many good years afterwards. The deal to bring in Esposito was in retrospect the beginning of the demise of a very good team. The Middleton trade that came the next season to re-unite Espo with one of his former linemates Ken Hodge is maybe the worst trade the Rangers ever made. To me Rick is HOF material and mostly for what he did with the Bruins--Hodge was already well down the road to hasbeenhood.

Dagoon44 03-30-2007 08:42 PM

Ok here is a story that brings a tear to my eye even today. It was a 7:30 start and I was 5 years old. My dad had it on the Radio as my home town did not have cable tv yet. The game was about to start and the crowd starts the EDD ie EDD ie chants and it is amzing coming over the radio.Well my mom starts to cry and my big tuff guy dad has a tear in his eye and looks at my mom and says lets go. He piles all in the car and starts going 80mph up the highway to west New York and pulls into a hotel and gets a room with cable and the cowards is still chanting and the game hasn't started. I got to watch him come back and win and it stays with me today and will till the day I lose my dad all time dad bonding moment ever