HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Philadelphia-LA proposal (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=36488)

nikolai19 12-16-2003 02:06 PM

Philadelphia-LA proposal

To LA: Marcus Ragnarsson or Chris Therien
To Phil: Jarrod Smithson + 4th round pick

Ideally, I would like to see Ragnarsson come play with Norstrom but I think Therien would be alright. Kings need one more defenseman to make the core more solid and tougher. I know that Therien or Ragnarsson are not super tough but they will play more physical than Modry, Visnovsky, and Corvo.

If LA makes the playoffs it may not be able to depend guys like Gleason or Corvo due to their inexperience.

Liquidrage* 12-16-2003 02:11 PM

You could have Therien for free if you pay his remaining salary.

Primakov! 12-16-2003 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liquidrage
You could have Therien for free if you pay his remaining salary.

I don't get the opportunity to watch Flyers games so perhaps you can feed my curiousity here. What happened or changed in Therien's game exactly? I mean, it wasn't all that long ago that he was on your #1 pairing with Eric Desjardin and playing pretty well so what's changed since then?

:confused:

McDonald19 12-17-2003 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikolai19

Ideally, I would like to see Ragnarsson come play with Norstrom but I think Therien would be alright. Kings need one more defenseman to make the core more solid and tougher. I know that Therien or Ragnarsson are not super tough but they will play more physical than Modry, Visnovsky, and Corvo.

If LA makes the playoffs it may not be able to depend guys like Gleason or Corvo due to their inexperience.

Wasn't Therien available in the waiver draft??

Why give up a prospect and fourth rounder now?

Liquidrage* 12-17-2003 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McDonald19
Wasn't Therien available in the waiver draft??

Why give up a prospect and fourth rounder now?

Yup. He was waived and not claimed because of his few million and a half per year salary.

He's good enough to play on a team that doesnt have a ton of depth at D. But he really doesn't deserve ice time in Philly. Vandermeer has easily outplayed him over the last few weeks and yet Therien plays over him for some ghastly reason.

Teezax 12-17-2003 07:05 AM

You can have him for free bud, just get him out of here already

punchy1 12-17-2003 07:32 AM

I don't like that one mate. Smithson is a solid charcter guy who is young and cheap and would be on the roster on allot of teams in the league each night. The pick is too high also I think for Therien. I would maybe go for Rags and Smitty right across but then we would have 11 D men that are NHL capable. I think we need to move our All Star Modry in our next deal to get a "tougher" defencive defenceman.

MojoJojo 12-17-2003 07:35 AM

He has been playing fine. He is the annual goat in Philly. Couple years ago it was Desjardins, last year it was Cechmanek.

Therien is not a bad defenseman. His two biggest flaws are that he makes too much money for what he does (2.6 mil) and he doesnt play mean with that big body of his. Otherwise, his skating has improved, he makes good decisions, has the size and strength to controll the front of the net and can play against the top power forwards in the league. Overall he is a very dependable defensive D man.

stanley 12-17-2003 08:21 AM

What ails Los Angeles is health. Were they down a player or two, I could see a depth upgrade. However, they're so depleted that I - were I Dave Taylor - would just bite the bullet and hope to stay close enough to make the playoffs. That doesn't sound like an unrealistic possiblity at all.

As for Philadelphia, they can financially afford to keep Therien around for this season. He will cost them relatively little and I'm sure he'll be serviceable come the playoff push. Last year, the Flyers had the same look (save Pitkanen) and still he went out to get Yushkevich over Vandermeer and Seidenberg. I think Clarke likes the two youngsters, but I think he likes the security of experience on defense.

Like it or not, Therien stays. I wouldn't move Ragnarsson.

punchy1 12-17-2003 09:07 AM

I don't know mate. We are healthy on D only missing Miller (who was off to a dodgy start) but having three other NHL caliber defencemen waiting down on the farm.

As for the forwards, we are only missing Allison and Deader up front at the skill spots (more than a year now) and Lappy and Pirnes in the energy dept. The players we have in thier stead are not only making up for any deficiency in the teams play would have experienced with these losses but, in fact, they are playing very well as a team and if this was the team we were to go into the playoffs with we may not be a favorite to win the cup but we wouldn't be a dog either.

It has been reported (again and again) that Allison might be back after the hollidays. (as recently as yesterday) and with him in the line up the only real missing player is Pirnes, a first year energy line guy who has already been more than replaced.

So, I don't see the Kings as depleted really. We are missing Allison for certain and his return will really help in several areas as will having Lappy and his leadership but that is about it. Now, most kings fans have written off Deamarsh, not as a man mind you, as most of us feel his hockey career should be second to his health. That is why we don't tend to bring his name up much anymore. Like Kerr in philly, way back, you just want them to be healthy first and if they can help your team then all the better, in the meantime you forget about them. (for your team)

With Allison back

Frolov/Allison/Klatt (Palffy, Cammelleri Armstrong)
Straka/Stumpel/Palffy (Cammelleri Armstrong Klatt)
Luc/Bellanger/Cammelleri (Brown, Armstrong Klatt)
Avery/Lappy/Chartrand (so many great energy guys you pick)

Those lines are solid enough to compete and we have several other players like Aulin who are young and will be available as well.

On defence,
Norstrom Miller (when healthy)
Visnovski Modry
Corvo Gleason
Holland Norton
Kuznetsov Zizka. With Norton you can have a player who will give you an "enforcer" up front so he could give time either way.

I see the Kings needing another physical stay at home strength defenceman more than we need Modry right now. Modry is a decent Dman but a talented mobile scoring threat from the back line. Corvo and Vis have stepped in and proven that they can take his place in that area. Now we need a bloke who can send the business in our end to make us solid.

At least, thats what I see but as I am peeking out my bellybutton don't take it too seriously mate.

punchy1 12-17-2003 10:54 AM

Also, the Kings have Armstrong who has done a brilliant job at coming in a being a solid contributer as well. If anything, the Kings could use another real talent up front instead of so many great character guys. The thing is that if you are relying on young players and character guys to carry you through to the cup, well mate, that is one tough road. Still though, not in bad shape at all.

I Am Ziggy Palffy 12-17-2003 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikolai19

i dont kno...tats a pretty big gap between ragnarson and therien...therien as mentioned before can be had for free...also ragnarsson jus signed a 3 yr 7 mil contract which is probbaly too expensive for LA considering he's not what they're looking for...they want a physical D man