HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Post Game : Habs 1 Booins 1 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=36531)

gohabsgo2010 12-16-2003 05:26 PM

Post Game : Habs 1 Booins 1

What a Game!

Final Score : 1-1
Shots on Goal : Habs 29, Booins 31

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com...ens_ryr101.jpg

Habs Goal

Rivet (2) - Bouillon, Ryder.

-Ryder comes off the boards with the puck, and flips a neat little pass to Bouillon who is coming in off of the left point. Rivet pinches in at the right point, and heads towards the goal. He plants himself in front of Raycroft and is able to get his stick on a high Bouillon wrist shot.

Freaky Habs Fan 12-16-2003 05:40 PM

One of the best game of the year!!! And whaa it by Komisarek!!! Wow...thw hit of the year. Theo was once again incredible. If the Habs keep playing like that, we are in the playoff :yo:

Just one thing...change Audette for Dagenais and we are in business.

Habsolument 12-16-2003 05:49 PM

It was a very entertaining game. Ryder was awesome. Many chances on both sides(how could Raycroft make all those saves and how could Murray miss that open net :joker: ) Komisarek landed one heck of a hit, so did Langdon. It was intense and very fun to watch for a 1-1 game. But Ribs really missed that chance in OT :cry: We'll beat them next time. :D

gohabsgo2010 12-16-2003 05:52 PM

As I'm sitting here going over the box, I notice that Audette got 5:34 of PP ice time, while Zednik got 3:51. Does that make sense to anyone?

Also, 4:00 for Kilger? C'mon. Give the guy some time out there to proove himself. Sheldon logged 28:18, despite missing most of OT sitting in the box. We really miss a guy like Brisebois who can log a few more minutes out there. Ribeiro playing 20+ minutes tonight is a little out of whack, too. Unfortunately, our best forward tonight, Ryder, only played 15:00. Again, ice time is a little thing but there's no reason for Audette to be receiving more minutes than Ryder.

Kerberos* 12-16-2003 05:53 PM

SO I missed the best game of the year for a final exam :cry:

Marc the Habs Fan 12-16-2003 05:55 PM

indeed..what a game.

3 more games vs the guys should be wicked :handclap:

gohabsgo2010 12-16-2003 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerberos

We feel for you. If you look at it on the bright side though, you didn't have to see Audette on the PP, or Bergeron and Thornton dishing out cheapshots.

Although, it really does suck to be you. You missed a hell of a game. Be sure to watch the highlight of the night, because it should be Jose's amazing glove save.

:D

jcpenny 12-16-2003 06:00 PM

How about Jason Ward on that second line instead of dagenais or audette? He's faster, has better hands and is better defensively than dagenais, also he's bigger and more willing to pay the price in front of the net than Audette.

I hope that when begin comes back hell take his place on the 3rd line which i would make him play with Dackell and Kilger while Juneau would be on the 4th with perrault.

gohabsgo2010 12-16-2003 06:00 PM

Now, I don't want to hear anyone say that Thursday's game against.....THE NASHVILLE PREDATORS!....won't be nearly as exciting. :p

deandebean 12-16-2003 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habsolument
It was a very entertaining game. Ryder was awesome. Many chances on both sides(how could Raycroft make all those saves and how could Murray miss that open net :joker: ) Komisarek landed one heck of a hit, so did Langdon. It was intense and very fun to watch for a 1-1 game. But Ribs really missed that chance in OT :cry: We'll beat them next time. :D

Ribs did play a solid game, though. He's getting pretty good in his own zone, and creates a lot of space for himself in the offensive zone.

The Guerin-like save Theo made in the 2nd was the crucial point of the game. Top 10 of the year.

gohabsgo2010 12-16-2003 06:17 PM

jcpenny : Begin told Melnick that he does not feel good at all. Hopefully all goes well for his MRI tomorrow. It would be very nice to see him back.

Guy! 12-16-2003 06:25 PM

The squeaky wheel gets the oil, or in this case, the whiny Thornton (remember early in the year when he threatened retirement because everyone was picking on him?) gets away with beheadings. Every game he shows me why he's a) a superbly talented player who should be considered as one of the league's best and b) why he's a classless prat who occasionally deserves a good swipe upside the head. Okay Dax was on his case at centre, but to take your opponents' helmet and yank it around - with the head still in it no less - is just plain dangerous. Thornton is going to have to watch his step. One day a coach is going to get fed up with him and his antics (typical high stick from him; he's never been able to control his lumber) and send out a good to just pummel him illegally.

A game of momentum, swinging back and forth, and I'd say that in the end it came out pretty much even. Good plays on both sides (along with a few dopey plays) made for some good hockey to watch (and without 15 goals? how could it be) and some intense play between two teams that don't like each other. The Hab 'waterbug' offense against the giant posts on the Brin defense at one end and at the other the brutish Bruin offense against the pipsqueak Montreal defense. Some serious periods of domination for respective sides when one team took advantage of the weakness of the other.

In the end it came down to two goalies playing near or at the top or their games, and that's the way good hockey should be. This Raycroft kid is going to be one to watch; I like his positioning and his confidence.

~~

Notes: (performance)

Theo: Excellent game, thought there were one or two times where his rebound control had me holding my head in anguish, but in a game where he makes the kinds of saves he did, I don't think I can hold that against him. A+

Bouillon: While he did play a good game and stayed within his means, more often than not he was out-muscled, particularly by that Thornton line, down low and that led to some very long shifts where he was scrambling. I still love the way he carries the puck and makes things happen, and tonight he did it intelligently, rather than holding on too long and making mistakes. B

Rivet: He had an awful first shift, and it was on the tip of my tongue to phone the Bell Centre, get him and tell him to fake an injury. After that, though, he acquitted himself fairly well, though he too was dominated a few times down low because he failed to get control of the puck quickly enough to move it out. B

Komisarek: I'm sure anyone who watched will have noticed that huge check he threw against the boards, and if that's any indication of what we're to expect, well I know it had me salivating. He played a good game other than that, still a little slow to make his decisions, but proactive in his many of his plays when he felt the confidence. It's coming much quicker now. B

Markov: Except for that play late in the game where he decided to play the puck and not the man, he was right up there in terms of defensive play. As usual, his proactive play and wins of battles along the boards were superior in number and quality, and I'm pleased to see him playing a solid game again. B+

Quintal: Nothing special, but nothing bad either. He was behind a couple of times but really, it wasn't too much of a problem tonight. I thought he played particularly well after taking Thornton's stick to the eye when he came back, settled in, and just did the easy smart plays - and threw a little more body. B

Souray: Took one stupid penalty, but other than that, played a strong game and a game where his physical presence on that back line was badly needed. He also made strong outlet passes and is really starting to play the more patient game, I've noticed him working into recently. A-

Kilger: Shrug lived up to his name. When you're on the fourth line, you just have to make things happen. He didn't. D

Langdon: Is that the first time since Nilan that a Hab player has fought more than a couple of times without getting injured for the season? He went to the box and seemed okay, and I seem to recall him playing after that as well. B+

Perreault: Certainly used more often than the other fourth liners for specialty faceoff situations but was really poor in the defensive zone tonight. I found him leaving his man regularly. Offensively he had a chance or two, which is good because he's at least getting them, but didn't really do all that much overall. C+

Sundstrom: Oh dear. Invisible Man strikes again. I'd sing a theme song saying 'watch out' for Invisible Man, but really, his name says otherwise. C

Dackell: Good strong game. I think he's really picked it up over the last few weeks and is playing not only strong defensively, but is also kicking in a physical element. He was getting under everyone's skin tonight and really should have drawn a few more penalties, but by that point the refs were either in catch-up mode, or it was late in the game when penalties don't matter anymore. (And what is that? More reffing garbage.) B+

Juneau: *sigh* I was really disappointed with his game tonight. Sure, he helped by stopping Thornton, and did a decent job there, but other than that he was really mistake prone. He had one shift early in the game where he was brilliant, hitting and creating and dominating, but after that.... C+

Audette: Okay everyone, let's all sing the Smurf theme song together. La-la-la-la-la-la la-la-la-la-laaaaaa! C-

Zednik: He's just not playing well with Ribs. Had his stick lifted on the one real chance he had, and other than that took low percentage shots which resulted in a whole lot of Hab fans (and players) rolling their eyes and shaking their heads. C+

Ribeiro: We need more second line players, because his line can't do anything on the PP at the moment. Ribs is beautiful at the dangle plays, but when he gets the puck by the side of the net with the goalie conveniently absent, he has this habit of waiting while the goalie gets back so he can once again show everyone on the planet that he can deke out said goalie and then roll his eyes when no one gets in position for his 'perfect' (not quite les gars sur RDS) pass. Oh, and where was that perfect pass at the end of the game? *sigh* He's playing okay, but I expect so much more from him. I find his decision making to be atrocious at times and, while he does move well with the puck, off it, particularly in his own zone, he looks like some poor lost waif. B

Bulis: More quiet night than usual. He was still skating well, but the puck never seemed to get towards him much. That happens, from time to time, as any team sports athelete will tell you. B+

Ryder: He skated too long with the puck precisely once; the rest of the time he was passing wonderfully (totally underrated passer) and set up the goal really nicely. (That was a great five-man cycle.) His defense is still getting better and better and I love the fact that he doesn't ever give up. He's also getting stronger and stronger on the boards, and is still getting into brilliant position to make great plays. B+

Koivu: Looked much more like himself tonight, though on the broken play where the puck bounced off Bouillon's skate to Rolston, it was, ostensibly, his man. After a couple of games being somewhat off his normal pace, he was skating and moving the puck well tonight - I get the feeling his game is more affected by lousy ice than some others. B+

~~

A tie against the big bad Bruins, and I think we'll take that and run, thank ya'll very much. They deserved the point, and against a team of that calibre, the result is perfectly satisfactory. I don't think there were many fans that went home unhappy after watching that game. Shame we didn't play like that in the previous two games, we would have beaten Florida and would have handled Tampa a lot more handily than we did.

Nashville comes a-visiting on Thursday, and that's going to be a tough game. The Preds might not be the best team in hockey, but they work hard - harder than the Bruins, I'd warrant. As long as we give a concerted effort like we did tonight, though, I think we should come out satisfied with ourselves, and will probably takes some points to the bank. But play like we did in Florida and we'll totally deserve the loss that'll be inflicted upon us.

A concerned fan.

ChemiseBleuHonnete 12-16-2003 06:25 PM

I worked out instead of watching the game and I can say I've done the right choice. Going to the gym is always better than watching hockey :)

Habber 12-16-2003 06:29 PM

Good game tonight. I thought we deserved the two points tonight, but tough to complain about getting a point against the B's.

Some observations:
-Rivet and Quintal were decent, even solid tonight. We need more games like that out of them.
-Great to see Komi's role increasing. Although he didn't get much time in the 1st, he got lots in the second and was on the ice with under 10 min left in a tie game.
-Koivu sucked. His worst game of the season. He let Rolston go on the B's goal, led a 3 on 2 into the corner and was turning the puck over all night long. The PP really sucked tonight mainly due to Koivu's unwillingness to hang on to the puck for more than two seconds. It's a good thing Bulis and Ryder were playing well.
-30 seconds left, offensive zone faceoff, Ribs takes the draw with Audette the winger in front of the net....wtf??? C'mon CJ get your head out of your ass! Perrault was dynamite on the draws all night as he has been for the last few games. And get a big winger in front of the net.
-Audette is useless. I can't believe he is still on the team let alone top 6. He must have pictures...
-Sad to have to see Theo stick up for himself. I know Bergeron got ridden into him, but this has been happenning too much lately. Look at Boston, if anyone even looked at Raycroft wrong they got a glove or a stick to the face. While we have to put up with Rivet and Markov who just stand there and look the other way. Pathetic.
-Juneau's line was our best by far tonight, offensively and defensively. To the people that hate Juneau and Dackell and want them gone, watch this game again, if it wasn't for them we would have been toast.
-Ribs was doind his best Oleg Petrov impression tonight: carrying the puck three feet past the blueline and then coming to a stop and turning it over. He has to learn to keep his feet moving to be efective.
-Souray was good as usual but I'd like to see him get that shot on net more often.
Theo was solid as per the last month. He's playing as good right now as he was at this point in the season two years ago. I think the league is starting to take notice of him again.

A comment not about tonight's game, but a suggestion to BG. Why not bring up a youngster from Hamilton up for a few games before Christmas? Breezy and Begin are out so we've got room on the roster. I'm not saying give someone a spot, but maybe bring Higgs or Balej or whoever up and give them a couple or three games on the 2nd line and see if they can spark the offence. Dags has been so-so and Audette's play speaks for itself.

FTK 12-16-2003 06:30 PM

Sundstrom: Oh dear. Invisible Man strikes again. I'd sing a theme song saying 'watch out' for Invisible Man, but really, his name says otherwise. C

Dackell: Good strong game. I think he's really picked it up over the last few weeks and is playing not only strong defensively, but is also kicking in a physical element. He was getting under everyone's skin tonight and really should have drawn a few more penalties, but by that point the refs were either in catch-up mode, or it was late in the game when penalties don't matter anymore. (And what is that? More reffing garbage.) B+

Juneau: *sigh* I was really disappointed with his game tonight. Sure, he helped by stopping Thornton, and did a decent job there, but other than that he was really mistake prone. He had one shift early in the game where he was brilliant, hitting and creating and dominating, but after that.... C+

What? Those guys played awesome. The thornton line was invisible all night. A+ for Dackell and B for Juneau and Sundstrom

Boutmania 12-16-2003 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerberos

So do I for the school music show wich officialy suck(specialy our group playing Phantom of Opera)...

Corey 12-16-2003 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ax²+bx+c
I worked out instead of watching the game and I can say I've done the right choice. Going to the gym is always better than watching hockey :)

It would have been a tragedy to miss your illuminating post. Duh!

Habs 12-16-2003 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy!
The squeaky wheel gets the oil, or in this case, the whiny Thornton (remember early in the year when he threatened retirement because everyone was picking on him?) gets away with beheadings. Every game he shows me why he's a) a superbly talented player who should be considered as one of the league's best and b) why he's a classless prat who occasionally deserves a good swipe upside the head. Okay Dax was on his case at centre, but to take your opponents' helmet and yank it around - with the head still in it no less - is just plain dangerous. Thornton is going to have to watch his step. One day a coach is going to get fed up with him and his antics (typical high stick from him; he's never been able to control his lumber) and send out a good to just pummel him illegally.

Poor assessment of one of the top players in the game. Sounds like Scott Thornton, and not Joe.

~~

Quote:

Bouillon: While he did play a good game and stayed within his means, more often than not he was out-muscled, particularly by that Thornton line, down low and that led to some very long shifts where he was scrambling. I still love the way he carries the puck and makes things happen, and tonight he did it intelligently, rather than holding on too long and making mistakes. B
Guess you never saw him coughing up the puck.

Quote:

Markov: Except for that play late in the game where he decided to play the puck and not the man, he was right up there in terms of defensive play. As usual, his proactive play and wins of battles along the boards were superior in number and quality, and I'm pleased to see him playing a solid game again. B+
Beat often tonight, not close to a B+

Quote:

Ribeiro: We need more second line players, because his line can't do anything on the PP at the moment. Ribs is beautiful at the dangle plays, but when he gets the puck by the side of the net with the goalie conveniently absent, he has this habit of waiting while the goalie gets back so he can once again show everyone on the planet that he can deke out said goalie and then roll his eyes when no one gets in position for his 'perfect' (not quite les gars sur RDS) pass. Oh, and where was that perfect pass at the end of the game? *sigh* He's playing okay, but I expect so much more from him. I find his decision making to be atrocious at times and, while he does move well with the puck, off it, particularly in his own zone, he looks like some poor lost waif. B
c- Ribs coughs up the puck in the offensive zone all too often.

Quote:

Koivu: Looked much more like himself tonight, though on the broken play where the puck bounced off Bouillon's skate to Rolston, it was, ostensibly, his man. After a couple of games being somewhat off his normal pace, he was skating and moving the puck well tonight - I get the feeling his game is more affected by lousy ice than some others. B+
Worst game I have seen him play all year. Horrible passing, poor decision making and often behind the play.

I'm not sure how you could possibly give him a B+.

jonny5 12-16-2003 08:52 PM

Quote:

A game of momentum, swinging back and forth, and I'd say that in the end it came out pretty much even. Good plays on both sides (along with a few dopey plays) made for some good hockey to watch (and without 15 goals? how could it be) and some intense play between two teams that don't like each other. The Hab 'waterbug' offense against the giant posts on the Brin defense at one end and at the other the brutish Bruin offense against the pipsqueak Montreal defense. Some serious periods of domination for respective sides when one team took advantage of the weakness of the other.

In the end it came down to two goalies playing near or at the top or their games, and that's the way good hockey should be. This Raycroft kid is going to be one to watch; I like his positioning and his confidence.

~~

Audette: Okay everyone, let's all sing the Smurf theme song together. La-la-la-la-la-la la-la-la-la-laaaaaa! C-

Zednik: He's just not playing well with Ribs. Had his stick lifted on the one real chance he had, and other than that took low percentage shots which resulted in a whole lot of Hab fans (and players) rolling their eyes and shaking their heads. C+

A concerned fan.

I would just like to comment on both Zednick and Ribeiro. Contrary to our friends at RDS, Mike Ribeiro still has quite alot to learn about hockey at the NHL level. He is still trying the types of moves he used in junior, and that does not work here. He needs to make his passes more crisp and to the point. One can only but agree that he is very capable of passing, but it is also good to shoot when the opportunity arises. It does not matter how pretty the goal is as long as that puck crosses the goal line. He does have great potential.
As for Mr. Zednick, I totally understand that the game of hockey is a Canadian game, but I think he has been in the NHL long enough now to realize that it's a TEAM SPORT. He seems to be more interested in his own personal stats than the overall success of the hockey team. You are exactly right when you say he is taking these low percentage shots. One would also wonder why you never see him talking to his team mates on the bench. Why doesn't he try to help bring along these guys like Ryder? I am sure he has valuable information, with his experience, about game of hockey, and the Habs are producing some of the better prospects in hockey within the organization that could really excel if they could utilize that experience, and would be quite anxious to sit, and listen and learn.
In closing, I think that the Habs right now have a good mixture of players ( exculding Auddette ) that are starting to gel and work as a team. So, don't be so quick to critize, and remember the game is exciting only because of mistakes, because if there were no mistakes we would be watching all scoreless ties.

jonny5 12-16-2003 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plekanec
I very liked Ryder tonight, he is just making me wrong! :handclap:

I just hope he can play this way every game!

It's amazing the skills we have in the system, we are going to be a force in 2-3 years away!

I'm however I little bit worry and desapointed about Koivu since a while... He is'nt involved in the play like he was last year... I just hope he can increase his play a notch!

You will find that as the year goes by Ryder will get stronger and he will play good every game. But remember, we all have our down days. Michael Ryder will give it his all, it is not in his nature to give up or quit. After the adversities he went thru with his first years in the AHL, with being sent to the ECHL, not once, but twice, and mostly because Savard was not one of his greatest fans. He will definitely only get better because all of these things only ignite his spirits and make him more determined to succeed. And I am sure the prospects that are down there now are also going thru their own adversities and these are things they will also build on, but give them time to develop, then beware of the NEW MIGHTY HABS in a few years.

goalchenyuk 12-16-2003 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonny5
I would just like to comment on both Zednick and Ribeiro. Contrary to our friends at RDS, Mike Ribeiro still has quite alot to learn about hockey at the NHL level. He is still trying the types of moves he used in junior, and that does not work here. He needs to make his passes more crisp and to the point. One can only but agree that he is very capable of passing, but it is also good to shoot when the opportunity arises. It does not matter how pretty the goal is as long as that puck crosses the goal line. He does have great potential.
As for Mr. Zednick, I totally understand that the game of hockey is a Canadian game, but I think he has been in the NHL long enough now to realize that it's a TEAM SPORT. He seems to be more interested in his own personal stats than the overall success of the hockey team. You are exactly right when you say he is taking these low percentage shots. One would also wonder why you never see him talking to his team mates on the bench. Why doesn't he try to help bring along these guys like Ryder? I am sure he has valuable information, with his experience, about game of hockey, and the Habs are producing some of the better prospects in hockey within the organization that could really excel if they could utilize that experience, and would be quite anxious to sit, and listen and learn.
In closing, I think that the Habs right now have a good mixture of players ( exculding Auddette ) that are starting to gel and work as a team. So, don't be so quick to critize, and remember the game is exciting only because of mistakes, because if there were no mistakes we would be watching all scoreless ties.

:handclap:
and by the way ,welcome to the board !

Habber 12-17-2003 03:25 AM

Quote:

A concerned fan.

Maybe it's just me but I thought Juneau was 10 times better than Koivu tonight. Koivu wasn't even close to looking like himself. Usually on the PP, the whole PP is Koivu wheeling with the puck, but tonight I don’t think there was a time when he controlled the puck for more than a few seconds. He was dumping it off every chance he got, not the Koivu we’re accustomed to. Juneau, on the other hand, was great. He totally shut down Thornton and did a great job on the cycle down low all night. He was skating hard and making solid plays all night.

bb_fan 12-17-2003 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jl.roberts
or Bergeron and Thornton dishing out cheapshots.

:D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Darz 12-17-2003 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcpenny
How about Jason Ward on that second line instead of dagenais or audette? He's faster, has better hands and is better defensively than dagenais.

Has better hands than Dagenais??????

I really don't think so. I agree, he might be faster, and better defensively, but few players on this team have a better shot and better hands than Dagenais.

zurg999 12-17-2003 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habber
Maybe it's just me but I thought Juneau was 10 times better than Koivu tonight. Koivu wasn't even close to looking like himself. Usually on the PP, the whole PP is Koivu wheeling with the puck, but tonight I don’t think there was a time when he controlled the puck for more than a few seconds. He was dumping it off every chance he got, not the Koivu we’re accustomed to.

It wasn't just you. Don't know what's wrong with Koivu, but it's become quite obvious over the last 4-5 games that he's either

a) frustrated with his own play
a) slightly injured, or
b) just not happy about something - ice time? linemates? coaching?