HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   St. Louis Blues (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   How good is David Backes? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=365515)

captaincheat 04-04-2007 09:41 PM

How good is David Backes?
 
He seems to be playing VERY well to round out this season. Where do you see him fitting in next year?

WalterSobchak 04-04-2007 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captaincheat (Post 8770074)
He seems to be playing VERY well to round out this season. Where do you see him fitting in next year?

2nd-3rd Line Wing. Could get PP time, depending on FA signing

20-30 goals 50-60 points

kimzey59 04-04-2007 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZaphodBeeblebrox (Post 8770762)
2nd-3rd Line Wing. Could get PP time, depending on FA signing

20-30 goals 50-60 points



Backes is a RW.
Stempy has been playing LW.

rumrokh 04-05-2007 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimzey59 (Post 8771507)
Backes is a RW.
Stempy has been playing LW.

:whaaa?:

CuSa_1 04-05-2007 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimzey59 (Post 8771507)
Backes is a RW.
Stempy has been playing LW.


I don't think anyone is denying that.

2ForRoughing* 04-05-2007 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CuSa_1 (Post 8772744)
I don't think anyone is denying that.

I think he was just correcting Zaphod.

WesternCollegeHockey 04-05-2007 01:04 PM

This couldn't have happened to a classier guy. From afar, it looks like Backes is playing extremely well, not just scoring points, but with a great +/- and getting credited with a lot of hits each night.

SneakerPimp82 04-05-2007 01:10 PM

Very good. I hope he and Stempniak work in the off-season with that trainer that MacInnis is always pimping. Increasing their lower body strength would help them both immensely, especially Backes, who despite his size gets knocked on his behind a fair amount.

Over the next 4-5 years, as Oshie, Soderberg, Berglund, Aaltonen and whoever the Blues draft with the first pick this year start flourishing, this team will be able to annually renew its forward talent base from within. Offensive talent is something this team could previously only bring through FA signings, nice to finally have some of it come cheaply.

CuSa_1 04-05-2007 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2ForRoughing (Post 8774481)
I think he was just correcting Zaphod.

Correcting Zaphod on what?

2ForRoughing* 04-05-2007 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CuSa_1 (Post 8778567)
Correcting Zaphod on what?

Not what, who. No, wait... what? Not who, what, I meant. Zaphod, not Backes. Neither is, really.

Hoosier96 04-05-2007 09:45 PM

To the question in the thread title- good enough to garner time in the big club for the rest of the season since he's been called up, lol.

I agree with the whole "talent coming from within." Say what you will about two losing seasons- it has let us stockpile a lot of talent (at least more than we would've had otherwise) AND get more younger guys ice time, and earlier. Nothing but positives looking ahead for next year for the offensive corps.

CuSa_1 04-05-2007 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2ForRoughing (Post 8779896)
Not what, who. No, wait... what? Not who, what, I meant. Zaphod, not Backes. Neither is, really.

So, do you have someone playing first base, or not?

WalterSobchak 04-06-2007 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimzey59 (Post 8771507)
Backes is a RW.
Stempy has been playing LW.

Ummm yes. my implication was that he plays the wing and not center. Ummmm, thank you though.

Bluester 04-06-2007 01:44 AM

If he keeps playing like he is now why not the 3rd line.

kimzey59 04-06-2007 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZaphodBeeblebrox (Post 8789519)
Ummm yes. my implication was that he plays the wing and not center. Ummmm, thank you though.

I read your post wrong.
I saw "Left wing" instead of "line wing".

I am very sorry.
Please forgive me.
:surrender

WalterSobchak 04-06-2007 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimzey59 (Post 8790719)
I read your post wrong.
I saw "Left wing" instead of "line wing".

I am very sorry.
Please forgive me.
:surrender

:p:

Its not a prob, bud. I was just confused and thought that might be the case. To be fair I couldn't recall any instances of him lining up on the Left but I didn't want to put myself out there and put RW just in case someone called me on it. But its been pretty certain he isn't going to be lining up at C in the NHL at this point. Good though if he can win faceoffs and he's smart enough to line up at any spot.

Parrish 04-07-2007 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZaphodBeeblebrox (Post 8770762)
2nd-3rd Line Wing. Could get PP time, depending on FA signing

20-30 goals 50-60 points

Don't expect that. You are expecting to much to soon.

I'd Expect 10-20 goals with 30-50 points.

I was a huge critict of this guy, but he has really turned it around from the slow start he had this season. He has stood his ground in front of the net very well. He has been very aggressive along the boards which I like alot. So, he has moved to my good graces. However, 50-60 points would be asking far to much I think. He will likely be on the 3rd line getting much less powerplay time then he has gottin since Guerin was shiped out. Even if he was the 2nd line rw that would be a rough task for ones sophomore season of his size. Generally the bigger guys take longer to break into 20 goal seasons then lil guys with short sticks.

BlueBleeder 04-07-2007 12:32 PM

He is 19th in rookie scoring, but 13th in PPG, 11th in productivity (ahead of some pretty good players - Staal, Zajac, Kessel).

ilikeoatmeal 04-18-2007 02:02 AM

Backes is a great player and an all-around great guy. I went to high school with him and caught up with him back in January. Real respectable guy, you're lucky to have him on the Blues.

2ForRoughing* 04-18-2007 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikeoatmeal (Post 8973238)
Backes is a great player and an all-around great guy. I went to high school with him and caught up with him back in January. Real respectable guy, you're lucky to have him on the Blues.

Backes is far from a "great player" at the NHL level. He's going to max out as a competent 2nd liner or a good 3rd liner. He won't be a core top six forward. At least not on a really solid NHL club with depth. He rounds out a top 9 nicely though.

coolhandluke2410 04-18-2007 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2ForRoughing (Post 8973579)
Backes is far from a "great player" at the NHL level. He's going to max out as a competent 2nd liner or a good 3rd liner. He won't be a core top six forward. At least not on a really solid NHL club with depth. He rounds out a top 9 nicely though.

I think it's to early to say he won't be a part of a core of the top 6

kimzey59 04-18-2007 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2ForRoughing (Post 8973579)
Backes is far from a "great player" at the NHL level. He's going to max out as a competent 2nd liner or a good 3rd liner. He won't be a core top six forward. At least not on a really solid NHL club with depth. He rounds out a top 9 nicely though.

Skill wise you may be right; but you are ignoring his intangibles. Backes is more "Captain Material" than anybody else we have up front at this point(prospects/young players only) with Stempniak being the only real runner-up(Backes and Stempy were the C's of their College teams; none of our other top prospects have that note on their records). Even if his production only tops out at 2nd line level, taking on a leadership role would give him a place in our top 6.


For a long time now I have been seeing Backes/Shane Doan comparrisons. I think it's a fairly close/valid comparrison.

barnburner 04-18-2007 09:03 AM

Whether Backes makes the 2d or the 3rd line, probably depends on the Blues free agent/trade acquisitions during the offseason. If Backes makes the top 6, it's probably going to mean we didn't significantly upgrade our scoring.

Prussian_Blue 04-18-2007 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barnburner
Whether Backes makes the 2d or the 3rd line, probably depends on the Blues free agent/trade acquisitions during the offseason. If Backes makes the top 6, it's probably going to mean we didn't significantly upgrade our scoring.

I don't know if I agree with that assessment, bb...

The Blues could add a center and a left wing, and maybe even an offensive threat from the blueline, to upgrade scoring, and none of those players would push Backes out of the second-line RW spot.

P_B

:bb:

2ForRoughing* 04-18-2007 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleedBlue44 (Post 8973795)
I think it's to early to say he won't be a part of a core of the top 6

I don't. His hands aren't good enough and neither is his skating.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:13 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.