HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Buffalo Sabres (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Is it time for Ruff to go... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=36642)

Ghost of Dale Hunter 12-17-2003 07:06 AM

Is it time for Ruff to go...

I have been a Ruff apologist for a long time. But, it seems to me that this team is suffering from a crisis of confidence right now and really, has been for some time. There are too many quality offensive players for this team to be having this tough of a time scoring. I see real inequity when players like Afinogenov and McKee get sat and players like Curtis Brown, virtual non-factors get a free ride.

I blame Ruff and no one else for the debacle in goal(well, i do blame the goalies for not playing better, but that is a side effect of poor management).

I think he has lost this team, lost the fans and this town is going to lose interest.

Time for Lindy to go. :(

Takeo 12-17-2003 07:08 AM

It's probably time but it's not gonna happen. That decision was made 6 months ago.

WhoIsJimBob 12-17-2003 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Takeo21
It's probably time but it's not gonna happen. That decision was made 6 months ago.

Ditto.

Although, who knows what Golisano will do now that he's come out and hinted that he's not happy with the way the Satan signing has worked out......

Ruckus007 12-17-2003 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Bob
Ditto.

Although, who knows what Golisano will do now that he's come out and hinted that he's not happy with the way the Satan signing has worked out......

I can't speak for Golisano but he seems like the kind of guy that could blow this all up and say "I'm sorry, I didn't make the right decision, it won't happen again." As long as Quinn goes too I'm perfectly fine with that.

Personally, I think Regier's contract situation mitigated a lot of this. They probably didn't want to swallow the rest of his deal and figured if Regier's coming back, Ruff should too. It's a shame, cost the Sabres a chance to go after Bob Gainey.

WhoIsJimBob 12-17-2003 08:39 AM

Quote:

It's a shame, cost the Sabres a chance to go after Bob Gainey.
I doubt there was any chance of the Sabres landing Gainey once Montreal showed interest.

Katana 12-17-2003 08:49 AM

It's past time for Lindy to go, but he won't because they won't pay another coach before the lockout.

At one time he was the best coach for this team, but that time is past. Every coach has a shelf life, and eventually the players stop listening. His methods also don't lend much to the development of young players. Sticking someone in the "doghouse" and forgetting them is a good way to ruin someone's confidence.

Puddy 12-17-2003 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katana
It's past time for Lindy to go, but he won't because they won't pay another coach before the lockout.

At one time he was the best coach for this team, but that time is past. Every coach has a shelf life, and eventually the players stop listening. His methods also don't lend much to the development of young players. Sticking someone in the "doghouse" and forgetting them is a good way to ruin someone's confidence.

Any suggestions as to who should be the next coach? As long as it isn't Cunneyworth from the AHL team. The way the Sabres work things as of late, they'll probably promote goalie coach Jim Corsi. :joker:

LALALALALALAFONTAINE 12-17-2003 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katana

Who has he forgotten about? His methods developed Satan, Dumont, McKee, Brown and Grosek.

It seems like the pressbox / 4th line treatment got Dumont and Afinogenov playing very well.

Ruckus007 12-17-2003 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puddy
Any suggestions as to who should be the next coach? As long as it isn't Cunneyworth from the AHL team. The way the Sabres work things as of late, they'll probably promote goalie coach Jim Corsi. :joker:

I've thought about that and honestly can't come up with a name, especially now that Laviolette is in Carolina. I don't want it to be someone in-house. McCutcheon and Arniel don't seem to have the ability and I've never thought much of Cunneyworth as a coach. Houda? Ideally it would be either Mike Ramsey or Craig Ramsay but I guess neither are going to be let out of their contracts. Alain Vigneault maybe?

Quote:

I doubt there was any chance of the Sabres landing Gainey once Montreal showed interest.

It would have been nice to try.

WhoIsJimBob 12-17-2003 10:37 AM

How about Jim Playfair?

Rob Paxon 12-17-2003 12:33 PM

My schedule's open these days.

Tucker 12-17-2003 01:14 PM

Quote:

How about Jim Playfair?

That is pretty interesting but lets hope Larry doesn't get a promotion.

SuperNintendoChalmrs 12-17-2003 01:22 PM

No one with any connection to the Buffalo Sabres.....

nobody who ever stepped foot in Eerie County.

:lol: :teach: :bow: :lol:

Jooce81 12-17-2003 01:46 PM

its time.. and i agree i dont want any ex-sabres as a new coach

Takeo 12-17-2003 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyfan6781
its time.. and i agree i dont want any ex-sabres as a new coach

I'd consider Mike Ramsey.

Jooce81 12-17-2003 04:39 PM

Quote:

true.. forgot about Mike, but i doubt he'd wanna come back here

Tucker 12-17-2003 04:42 PM

Quote:

Not me, I want a guy that has had the job and has some credentials.

Craig Ramsay.

Buffaloed 12-17-2003 05:09 PM

Let's go with rotating coaches and draw the name of a season ticket holder out of a hat every month. If someone does well they can stay until they flop. :p

XTRA SKATER 12-17-2003 05:09 PM

The best candidate who is available is......Brent Peterson.

Very successful WHL coach (2 Memorial cups). Several years of experience with Nashville.

***********Promotes an offensive style ************

lecherous 12-17-2003 08:18 PM

I still like Mike Robitaille for the job, heh.

Takeo 12-17-2003 08:20 PM

Donny Lever.

Tucker 12-18-2003 02:02 AM

Tim Connolly...maybe the fuzzy head would help.

WhoIsJimBob 12-18-2003 03:08 AM

Let's be serious though, IF Lindy Ruff were axed this year there are only two or three guys that would be considered:

Brian McCutcheon, Randy Cunneyworth, and maybe Scott Arniel or Darcy Regier.

I can't see this team firing Ruff after he got the 3 year extension and then going out and giving a long term deal to an outsider to replace him.

djhn579 12-18-2003 04:51 AM

Quote:

Let's be serious though, IF Lindy Ruff were axed this year there are only two or three guys that would be considered:

Brian McCutcheon, Randy Cunneyworth, and maybe Scott Arniel or Darcy Regier.

I can't see this team firing Ruff after he got the 3 year extension and then going out and giving a long term deal to an outsider to replace him.

That would not be much of an improvement. It seems that even though we have changed head coaches, we have always kept the assistants. It's time for a complete house cleaning. If a former Sabre is the only option though, what about Van Boxmeer? I haven't heard much about him lately, but he seemed to be doing a decent job in the IHL and WCHL. But, I'd still rather not have a former Sabre... again...

WhoIsJimBob 12-18-2003 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djhn579
That would not be much of an improvement. It seems that even though we have changed head coaches, we have always kept the assistants. It's time for a complete house cleaning. If a former Sabre is the only option though, what about Van Boxmeer? I haven't heard much about him lately, but he seemed to be doing a decent job in the IHL and WCHL. But, I'd still rather not have a former Sabre... again...

I completely agree.

I just don't see the Sabres commiting the long term contract neccessary to bring in an outsider after they gave Ruff the 3 year extension in the offseason.

I hope I'm wrong and that things will be different under Golisano.

But everything I've seen thusfar has been the Same Old Sabres.

And until that changes, I see no reason to expect things like firing Ruff or Regier and bringing in qualified outsiders to go forward.