HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Why so much hatred on Calgarypuck? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=36647)

dawgbone 12-17-2003 06:43 AM

Why so much hatred on Calgarypuck?
 
Man, I was just on the site...

You would think, that by the Oilers not sending Comrie to a team who is battling for a playoff spot with Calgary, the Flames fans would be rather happy.

Evidently not... they are so shortsighted and consumed with irrational dislike of the Oilers they are ready to march down and crucify Lowe.

Anyone have an explaination on this... other than the fact that Flames fans have been <b>looking</b> for something to use on Oiler fans for the past 7 years?

Bohologo 12-17-2003 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawgbone
Man, I was just on the site...

You would think, that by the Oilers not sending Comrie to a team who is battling for a playoff spot with Calgary, the Flames fans would be rather happy.

Evidently not... they are so shortsighted and consumed with irrational dislike of the Oilers they are ready to march down and crucify Lowe.

Anyone have an explaination on this... other than the fact that Flames fans have been <b>looking</b> for something to use on Oiler fans for the past 7 years?


Well, Mike Comrie is no Marc Savard....

USC Trojans 12-17-2003 06:54 AM

they're angry cause we got a good deal?

I don't get how even the Calgary fans here are more worked up than we are. (Lanny?)

looooob 12-17-2003 07:11 AM

If I may....

the Flames and the Oilers are long time rivals. Yes lately (before this season) the Flames hadn't held up their end of the bargain so maybe we've fallen off your radar screen to some extent, but that history is always going to be there (imagine if there were internet chat boards in the mid 80s!!!)

The Comrie thing is big news, so it was going to be discussed on calgarypuck regardless, but the fact that its the OIlers ups the ante

remember too, here in Calgary we get alot of OIler coverage (for a variety of valid reasons there have been MORE OIler games than Flames games telecast here for the last 3 or 4 years) so again that gets us thinking about talking (and yes often bashing) the Oilers

at the end of the day though, if you read the threads on calgarypuck alot of people are acknowledging Lowe did ok on the deal (or at least better than the Anaheim deal) and we ARE happy that Comrie was shipped to the East, and that you guys got no immediate help back for this year.

while some people there are , I agree, overzealous in their bashing of Lowe--I think its a fair comment that he may have hurt his position long term in this affair. a few of your guys here are saying the same thing (case in point an excellent long post by Mammett I just read)

my thoughts

metallicat 12-17-2003 08:30 AM

I get the sense from Calgary Puck that a lot of the fans are not only pretty damn confident in their team right now, but they are also pretty damn confident that the Oilers suck. Anything to hammer on the Oil, they do it. The comments towards Lowe on that site were totally uncalled for. The amount of immaturity over there is incredible.

We will see. The Oilers aren't going to be slumping forever, and the Flames aren't going to be winning like this forever either.

SerbianEagle 12-17-2003 08:35 AM

I'll buy them all a beer if at the end of the season the Flames are still ahead of Edmonton. Flames will enter a slump any time now.

Also the mod overthere lets them do whatever they want, but as soon as someone post something to defend the Oilers and rag on the flames the thread is closed or it disappears.

Before the season started there was thread there that was used for wishing injuries on Edmonton players. Hemsky was out with all sorts of injuries, broken legs etc...

Justa bunch of immature little boys looking for some attention.

Vyse64 12-17-2003 09:13 AM

7 years anyone? :joker:

creative giant* 12-17-2003 10:14 AM

One word. Jealousy.

The Oil have been the better franchise over the time these teams have been in the NHL and any chance Flames fans can get to rip the Oil they take it.

No matter how stupid it is.

aki 12-17-2003 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SerbianEagle
I'll buy them all a beer if at the end of the season the Flames are still ahead of Edmonton.

Speaking as an Oilers fan living in Calgary, as much as it would pain me, I'd take that bet at this point in time. The Flames are playing some very good hockey these days while the Oilers seem to be a real mess. I'm set to go to the Oilers-Flames tilt on the 23rd but I am afraid that if things continue to go the way they have been for these two teams, the Oilers may get steamrolled.

As for the animosity, keep in mind that Flames fans have had more than a decade of pent-up frustration which they are just now finding a release for.

The real sad part about it is that the Oilers are better on paper IMO but at this point in time there's no comparison on the ice. In my view this is directly attributable to the coaching. The Oilers' special teams are a mess and the players generally don't seem to be buying into whatever system MacT may have (surely he does have a system, doesn't he?). Sutter on the other hand has the Flames believing in themselves and playing like a real team. They are clearly buying what he's selling and that's basically all there is to it in my view.

Funny that the last time the Flames were a legit threat to the Oil was also the last time they had a better coach. Badger Bob, anyone?

Cawz 12-17-2003 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SerbianEagle
I'll buy them all a beer if at the end of the season the Flames are still ahead of Edmonton. Flames will enter a slump any time now.

Also the mod overthere lets them do whatever they want, but as soon as someone post something to defend the Oilers and rag on the flames the thread is closed or it disappears.

Before the season started there was thread there that was used for wishing injuries on Edmonton players. Hemsky was out with all sorts of injuries, broken legs etc...

Justa bunch of immature little boys looking for some attention.


Thats the nice thing about these boards. ESPN, TSN etc's boards are such a waste of time to look at. Buch of clueless armchair gms that are quick to form opinions but slow to actually learn the facts.

majority of hfboards posters actually seem to know what they are talking about. Very refreshing.

looooob 12-17-2003 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aki
Funny that the last time the Flames were a legit threat to the Oil was also the last time they had a better coach. Badger Bob, anyone?

not to stir things up (I agree with your post for the most part), but I think people are forgetting there was a four year period where the Oilers were much worse than the Flames (circa 92-96). I happened to be living in Edmonton then, so I remember it well. both of these teams have had their cycles (although of course the Oilers have had more cumulative success than the Flames)

barto 12-17-2003 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by looooob
not to stir things up (I agree with your post for the most part), but I think people are forgetting there was a four year period where the Oilers were much worse than the Flames (circa 92-96). I happened to be living in Edmonton then, so I remember it well. both of these teams have had their cycles (although of course the Oilers have had more cumulative success than the Flames)

Hmmm...1992-1996, you say? I don't think those years actually existed - didn't we skip from 1991 to 1997? :dunno:

Bart

looooob 12-17-2003 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barto
Hmmm...1992-1996, you say? I don't think those years actually existed - didn't we skip from 1991 to 1997? :dunno:

Bart

:D

Cerebral 12-17-2003 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barto
Hmmm...1992-1996, you say? I don't think those years actually existed - didn't we skip from 1991 to 1997? :dunno:

Bart

The one name that pops to mind whenever I think back to that era of the Oilers is Zdeno Ciger.. our best darn 30 goal scorer ever ;)

elphy101 12-17-2003 11:00 AM

It's all just Lanny yapping anyway. He does that just as much here. Does anyone really expect anything different from him?

Mowzie 12-17-2003 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cerebral
The one name that pops to mind whenever I think back to that era of the Oilers is Zdeno Ciger.. our best darn 30 goal scorer ever ;)

ya, but what was he, minus a million?

My cousin is a Flames fan, and we have a mutual respect for our hockey clubs, mostly because both teams are in similar situations financially, and market wise. I used to hate The Flames and didnt really know why, the Battle of Alberta's where some of the best games I've watched.

But one thing in this thread I picked up on is the guy who said The Oil get more coverage in Calgary than the Flames do, and I know exactly what he is going through. Us in Edmonton are force fed more Canuck bullshot than we can digest, and that is one of the reasones I despise the Canucks now. I remember the Night of the Heritage Classic, the midnight episode of Sportsnet talked about the Nucks before it talked about the Heritage Classic. So Flames fans can go ahead and hate the Oilers, and Oilers fans can go ahead and hate the Flames, I for one will be too busy hating the Canucks.

Cerebral 12-17-2003 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mowzie
ya, but what was he, minus a million?

My cousin is a Flames fan, and we have a mutual respect for our hockey clubs, mostly because both teams are in similar situations financially, and market wise. I used to hate The Flames and didnt really know why, the Battle of Alberta's where some of the best games I've watched.

But one thing in this thread I picked up on is the guy who said The Oil get more coverage in Calgary than the Flames do, and I know exactly what he is going through. Us in Edmonton are force fed more Canuck bullshot than we can digest, and that is one of the reasones I despise the Canucks now. I remember the Night of the Heritage Classic, the midnight episode of Sportsnet talked about the Nucks before it talked about the Heritage Classic. So Flames fans can go ahead and hate the Oilers, and Oilers fans can go ahead and hate the Flames, I for one will be too busy hating the Canucks.

Shush, I won't hear you disgrace the name of Ciger.. :) It is true, I live in Calgary and probably three times more Oiler games are shown on TV than Calgary games (much to my delight)! This has a lot to do with the fact that the Oilers have always been associated with young, fast hockey and thus have been thought to be capable of drawing in more viewers than the Flames..

Mowzie 12-17-2003 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cerebral
Shush, I won't hear you disgrace the name of Ciger.. :) It is true, I live in Calgary and probably three times more Oiler games are shown on TV than Calgary games (much to my delight)! This has a lot to do with the fact that the Oilers have always been associated with young, fast hockey and thus have been thought to be capable of drawing in more viewers than the Flames..

Don't get me wrong, I was a huge Ciger fan, I was like 13 or 14 when he played here, and when he mysteriously dissappeared I felt like my best friend ran away from home. When he returned and had those short stints in NY and TB, I was just hoping Edmonton would go and get him.

Mr Sakich 12-17-2003 12:13 PM

I live in Calgary and have lost my hatred to the flames. They are a very hard working team with a good coach. Unfortunately, sean donovan is not going to end the year with 60 goals. They will have their tail-spin soon enough but they are good enough to challenge to the very end for the last few playoff spots.

Unlike the oilers, I really don't think they have much upside beyond that. They may get on a lucky roll like the Wild did last year but, outside of Iggy, they really don't have a lot of talent. They work their arses off and I respect that.

If they sound a little bitter towards the oilers, it is because everyone in cowtown is sick of hearing about "oiler hockey". Not only does edmonton beat them, they do it with style and that gets a little hard to take after 7 years. I can forgive them for the bashing at calgarypuck.com but it is pretty sad when they do it 100 times here on one thread (cough, cough, Lanny, cough)

looooob 12-17-2003 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
I live in Calgary and have lost my hatred to the flames. They are a very hard working team with a good coach. Unfortunately, sean donovan is not going to end the year with 60 goals. They will have their tail-spin soon enough but they are good enough to challenge to the very end for the last few playoff spots.

Unlike the oilers, I really don't think they have much upside beyond that. They may get on a lucky roll like the Wild did last year but, outside of Iggy, they really don't have a lot of talent. They work their arses off and I respect that.

)

I think even the most optimistic Flames fan (which I am not) would agree with you , that we aren't stacked with offensive talent. but while I agree Donovan won't finish the year with 35 goals (his approximate pace right now) , iginla and conroy probably won't finish the year with 20 and 5 goals or whatever the heck they are on pace for right now. it will balance out. still the Flames will need to rely on good d and goaltending to make the playoffs. most Flames fans will admit that there is still alot of work to be done before this team makes the playoffs

looooob 12-17-2003 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cerebral
Shush, I won't hear you disgrace the name of Ciger.. :) It is true, I live in Calgary and probably three times more Oiler games are shown on TV than Calgary games (much to my delight)! This has a lot to do with the fact that the Oilers have always been associated with young, fast hockey and thus have been thought to be capable of drawing in more viewers than the Flames..

actually I think it has to do with the fact that 1) the oilers haven't sucked for 7 years and 2) the Flames under Ron Bremner completely botched their local TV package

Ryno 12-17-2003 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by looooob
actually I think it has to do with the fact that 1) the oilers haven't sucked for 7 years and 2) the Flames under Ron Bremner completely botched their local TV package

Could you elaborate? What's the story behind Bremner's screwup?

kruezer 12-17-2003 09:18 PM

I don't know, but Calgarypuck seems like a gong show to me. I only come here nowadays, going their seems like a waste of time.

I really don't see why their has to be so much hate in the Edmonton-Calgary-Vancouver Trifecta, the three teams are my Favs in the league (minus TB, but they're another story). I'd like them all in the playoffs personally, and rockin' once they get their. I'm still a Flames fan though, and the only thing that gets me is the Oilers 'style' arguments, I mean offense starts from defense, and most great offensive teams have great defense too, Great offensive players can score AND play great defense too, its not like you can't have both. The whole, oh the only 'run and gun' team left is the Oilers 'what a joy to watch' well I really don't like seeing my team scored on, I don't get what the attraction is. Look at teams like Detroit, Colorado, Vancouver and Philly they are tops in GFA and GAA, these teams compete for cups, and the major difference with the Oilers (yes these teams score more but the Oilers can score, and hang around 3 per when their on) is the GAA. I just don't get this argument at all. I like good hockey, and it all stems from defense IMO, crappy hockey has tons of turnovers and poor play, and I'd rather not watch.

evman150* 12-17-2003 10:19 PM

It's OK guys, the Oilers are the best team in the league, and nothing they do can ever be wrong.

CP is a great site with great posters. I may not post there as much as I do here, but I still love it. It is the best fan site I've come across, and I've come across many.

Phanuthier* 12-18-2003 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SerbianEagle
I'll buy them all a beer if at the end of the season the Flames are still ahead of Edmonton.

I'll take you on that :D

Anyways, you assume all of us think this or that - if you read what I said on the thread, I said I really liked Woywitka. I watched the Rebels play alot against the Hitman and thought he was a really solid defenseman. I personally think Lowe got some good return.

HOWEVER... Lowe likely has burned some bridges with the incident with Murray. Quoted on the TSN.ca site, Murray stopped short of blasting Kevin Lowe's trading tactics. Bryan Murray has been around, and has a strong influence around the league - Kevin Lowe, I'm assuming, is a well respected man as well (esp with his ties to guys like Gretz) but when it comes down to choosing sides, more than not will likely side with Bryan Murray. Craig Button burned alot of bridges while he was GM of the Flames (ie. Ripping into that NYI defenseman), and its very possible that Kevin Lowe has followed suite here.

PS: I'm not confident of my team at all. It feels good to be a Flames fan, but I'm not going around saying they've turned the corner just yet. They've shown me how they handle themselves when times are good, I want to see how the plug the bleeding when things start going bad before I start putting bets on this team.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:20 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.