HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   St. Louis Blues (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Who Will You Root For? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=367122)

StLooFrenchy 04-08-2007 08:27 AM

Who Will You Root For?

Well, our Blues are out of it, so I guess we will have to find a surrogate team to follow. Who will be yours? I am going with my old standby, New Jersey, I just can't get enough of Lou's Kool-Aid!

.........or ANYONE but Detroit!

210 04-08-2007 10:36 AM

Currently Nashville, subject to change...

On Axis 04-08-2007 10:37 AM

I'm on the Sabres bandwagon currently. :)

BlueBleeder 04-08-2007 10:42 AM

Team i picked to win the cup from day 1 - Sabres.

On Axis 04-08-2007 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueBleeder (Post 8824466)
Team i picked to win the cup from day 1 - Sabres.

:D

Checker* 04-08-2007 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StLooFrenchy (Post 8823346)
Well, our Blues are out of it, so I guess we will have to find a surrogate team to follow. Who will be yours? I am going with my old standby, New Jersey, I just can't get enough of Lou's Kool-Aid!

I'd really not want to pick 30th though if New Jersey wins. Also can we expand the ANYONE but Detroit to include the Preds too? I frickin hate them more than Detroit currently, but just barely.

I'd like to see the Sharks win it. It'd be a nice end to Guerin's season, and after the hard work he did here, he'd deserve it.

Pragmatically, we should be rooting for something like a Calgary/Rangers finals as it would bump up our 2 late 1sts by two slots each.

WalterSobchak 04-08-2007 11:23 AM

as I've posted elsewhere, I am pulling for a Thrashers-Predators finale...just so those "hockey traditionalists" all have brain aneurysms explode.

Checker* 04-08-2007 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZaphodBeeblebrox (Post 8825031)
as I've posted elsewhere, I am pulling for a Thrashers-Predators finale...just so those "hockey traditionalists" all have brain aneurysms explode.

I don't get it. Is pissing off a few "traditionalists" really worth costing the Blues 10 spots or more in the draft or watching a team dripping with classless idiot cheapshot artists prosper so that their fans can heckle Blues fans even more?

crackout 04-08-2007 12:04 PM

I've always had a soft spot for the Thrashers, so I'll be rooting for them now. Don't hold out much hope though, I'm not sure if Kovalchuk will be the type of player to turn up in the playoffs.

Lost interest in who does well in the West though.

Irish Blues 04-08-2007 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZaphodBeeblebrox (Post 8825031)

:lol:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Checker (Post 8825422)
I don't get it. Is pissing off a few "traditionalists" really worth costing the Blues 10 spots or more in the draft or watching a team dripping with classless idiot cheapshot artists prosper so that their fans can heckle Blues fans even more?

Yes. I get the feeling that someone will win a Cup for the first time this year (again) - if it happens to be Nashville, fine ... but I'd love to see some of the, "THEY DON'T DESERVE A TEAM - IT SHOULD BE IN CANADA!" crowd have to choke down the fact that yet another "non-traditional" market won the Cup. If it happened to be two of them playing for the Finals, ....... well, maybe should make plans on where we're going to meet up in case that happens because HF will probably melt down.

Personally? Any of Ottawa, Buffalo, Atlanta, San Jose or Nashville would be fine with me. As long as it's not Detroit, New Jersey, Anaheim, or Calgary I'll be OK.

fcpremix88 04-08-2007 12:50 PM

Who has a good shot:
Sabres, Ottawa, Atlanta, NYR
Anaheim, Vancouver, San Jose, Minnesota

Who am I cheering for?

Home team Tampa Bay Lightning... but no defense + mediocre goaltending isnt helping them much... lecavalier could score 3 goals a game and it prob wouldnt do it... :(

San Jose... TWO amazing goaltenders and a team thats fast and physical...

Vancouver... LUONGO do i need to say more?

Atlanta... tkachuk, hossa, kovalchuk? cmon!

=)

SIU LAW 04-08-2007 02:03 PM

With my distant second team out of the playoffs, the Flyers, it is kind of hard for me to pick a team to root for. Pretty much, I am just rooting for good hockey and rooting against a few teams…Detroit, Nashville and Vancouver because I dislike them…and the Devils and Thrashers because of draft positioning. With all that said, I would really like to see the Penguins go on a big run, they are just plain fun to watch. I would not mind seeing Pronger winning a Cup with the Ducks. Seeing the Sabres rewarded for building the team right way would not be so bad either.

coolhandluke2410 04-08-2007 02:24 PM

I'll be rooting for the Ducks. GO PRONGER! :yo:

Guy Legend 04-08-2007 02:36 PM

I'm hoping the Thrashers and Predators go far in order to drum up support and attention from their respective cities. Both franchises could really use a deep run.

I also like the Sabres because they play a great style of hockey and as an old time hockey city that has never one the cup (like us), they're due.

2ForRoughing* 04-08-2007 04:07 PM

Sabres out East and Minny in the West.

DaBo 04-08-2007 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 210 (Post 8824390)
Currently Nashville, subject to change...

As much as I hate them, I'll pull for them to go deep just to keep them in Nashville.

I feel if they don't go deep this year, no corporate sponsorship shows up for them, fan support will dwindle, and they will move.

Nashville owner, I can't recall his name, has an out clause in his lease that states, if attendence drops below a certain number, he can nullify the lease and leave town.

Sorry, I don't have any hard proof (i.e. a link) but I'm an avid listener to Home Ice on XM and hear this subject (hockey in non-traditional markets) brought up all the time.

210 04-08-2007 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaBo (Post 8831945)
As much as I hate them, I'll pull for them to go deep just to keep them in Nashville.

I feel if they don't go deep this year, no corporate sponsorship shows up for them, fan support will dwindle, and they will move.

Nashville owner, I can't recall his name, has an out clause in his lease that states, if attendence drops below a certain number, he can nullify the lease and leave town.

Sorry, I don't have any hard proof (i.e. a link) but I'm an avid listener to Home Ice on XM and hear this subject (hockey in non-traditional markets) brought up all the time.

Cool, now I have a more legitimate reason than "I want them to lose so they'll send a few guys to Worcester" :D

rumrokh 04-08-2007 07:21 PM

I'll be rooting for whatever team comes out of the west. However, within the west, I'm rooting against Detroit, Nashville, San Jose, and Dallas, in that order. So in a Nashville-San Jose matchup, go Sharks. Ugh, I can't believe I said that. But I don't have that big of a problem rooting for Billy Guerin.

Overall, I'm rooting for Anaheim and Minnesota. I'd love to see Pronger or Demitra hoist the cup. Especially Pronger.

In the East, I'm really excited that the Islanders clinched, because I like Sillinger and Smyth. I'd like to get an earlier pick from Atlanta, but I'll still root for Walt. Go Thrashers and Islanders.

WalterSobchak 04-08-2007 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Checker (Post 8825422)

In a word, yes. I'm not selfish enough to worry about the Blues draft position rather than the longevity of a franchise surviving and prospering in the city it began in. Nobody should be a fan of relocation for any reason.

I hate arguements when people use the term "traditional hockey market"
People once made the arguement that the world was flat because that is how it had always been. Any league changes to survive. Those that don't stagnate, whither and die.

on the flip side changing the dimensions of the goalies net is just crazy talk.

and besides, Atlanta and Nashville have some good teams and they are pretty much still under dogs in these playoffs.

PocketNines 04-08-2007 10:10 PM

I want four non-division winners in the conference finals.

NJ's pick would be 23d rather than 27th. Atlanta's would be 21st rather than 25th.

CuSa_1 04-08-2007 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PocketNines (Post 8836506)
I want four non-division winners in the conference finals.

NJ's pick would be 23d rather than 27th. Atlanta's would be 21st rather than 25th.

My thoughts exactly.

ChicagoBlues 04-09-2007 06:43 AM

Sabres and Ducks final.

Ducks win 4 games to 3.

Anaheim has Scott Niedermayer who has hoisted three Stanley Cups. There are several players from their Cup-losing team (just a couple years ago) that are still playing for the Ducks. And Pronger has Stanley-Cup-final-game-7 experience. Anaheim has experience and skill.

All of this potential should translate into a Cup victory.

Quack!

execwrite 04-09-2007 06:43 AM

I'm rooting for the Alaska Aces.

The Aces open their run at another ECHL title Monday and Tuesday night against the Victoria Salmon Kings, winners of nine straight games to close out the regular season. Games One and Two of this best-of seven series start at 7:15 p.m. in Sullivan Arena, where Alaska beat Victoria five straight times during the regular season. The series shifts to Victoria, BC for Games Three and Four on Thursday and Friday night at 6:00 p.m. ADT. The Aces went 4-1-1 in six contests with the Salmon Kings in Canada this year. All playoff games will be broadcast live on the flagship home of Aces hockey, KFQD 750 AM.

c-carp 04-09-2007 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StLooFrenchy (Post 8823346)

My team would be Anaheim because I like the rough and tumble style that they play. If they win it will prove that you can still play rough hockey and do well.

Stealth JD 04-09-2007 04:17 PM

is it possible to root for Pronger, but against Brian Burke? :help: