HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Parental advise (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=36772)

GlueleG 12-17-2003 02:07 PM

Parental advise

I was hoping to get some feedback on whether or not I am overreacting regarding a small spat I've just had with my wife. You see, my wife and I are expecting our first child in June of 2004... and, I hate to admit it ... but I married an occaisional Leaf fan.... I guess living in toronto, it is hard to avoid them.

Anyhow... I have come to find out that my father-in-law has bought a pair of Maple Leaf booties for his Grandkid.... well this makes my blood boil!! I told my wife that I'll change the kids clothes as soon as I see him in it... this would be the worst thing I could envision..... am I overreacting? Basically it caused a little minny fight... and she accused me of being a baby about the whole thing. My thinking is that if its not that big a deal for her, and she knows how much I'd loathe it... why do it? Its not like I was planning on buying a bunch of Flyers clothing....

I know here in Toronto there is much more available in Leaf gear... I'd be fighting a hopeless battle.

donelikedinner 12-17-2003 02:31 PM

never let any leaf's crap touch your kid. being a leaf's fan instantly lowers your kids i.q. 50 points and guarantees he/she will suck on ice.

take your kid and run, its a life an death situation! :lol:

Winston Wolf 12-17-2003 02:33 PM

Time for a divorce! :D ;) :p

blah 12-17-2003 02:34 PM

Make sure no pictures are taken of the baby while in the Leafs clothes. That way the kid will have no memory of being dressed in white and blue, and you'll still be able to brainwash you a little Flyers fan.

BrindA17 12-17-2003 02:43 PM

Let the kid wear the stuff. It could hurt your father-in-law's feelings. Raise him to be a Flyers fan, he'll get over wearing Leafs stuff that he'll eventually grow out of anyway. I used to have DEVILS jacket, DEVILS! I wore it, but I grew out of it. I was and still am a Flyers fan. No harm done ;).

Flyers26 12-17-2003 03:27 PM

Yea, I'd let him have his way on the booties, but draw the line at that!
When your son/daughter is old enough, they most likely will go with you, and who you root for, as they don't want to disappoint DAD!!

You'll win out in the long run!

Dekhockey55 12-17-2003 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlueleG
I was hoping to get some feedback on whether or not I am overreacting regarding a small spat I've just had with my wife. You see, my wife and I are expecting our first child in June of 2004... and, I hate to admit it ... but I married an occaisional Leaf fan.... I guess living in toronto, it is hard to avoid them.

Anyhow... I have come to find out that my father-in-law has bought a pair of Maple Leaf booties for his Grandkid.... well this makes my blood boil!! I told my wife that I'll change the kids clothes as soon as I see him in it... this would be the worst thing I could envision..... am I overreacting? Basically it caused a little minny fight... and she accused me of being a baby about the whole thing. My thinking is that if its not that big a deal for her, and she knows how much I'd loathe it... why do it? Its not like I was planning on buying a bunch of Flyers clothing....

I know here in Toronto there is much more available in Leaf gear... I'd be fighting a hopeless battle.

Ha-ha....I love this post.....good stuff.....No Leaf stuff period....

Brad* 12-17-2003 04:29 PM

I guess booties are OK, but definitely stop there. We don't need anymore of those Leaf vermin, there is already plenty to go around.

:)

Rails 12-17-2003 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlueleG

I don't see what the problem is with the booties. I think it would be good for him to start his life by walking all over the Leafs.

GlueleG 12-17-2003 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harper
I don't see what the problem is with the booties. I think it would be good for him to start his life by walking all over the Leafs.

Yeah, well... it starts with booties and snowballs from there, im sure. Heh heh heh... I guess if any of this clothing is found in my house... it will inadvertently go missing.... :)

Sorry if i have made a huge deal out of this... it probably wont amount to too much once I throw my first temper tantrum over this again. :D

Winston Wolf 12-17-2003 05:00 PM

He's got a point, AT LEAST it's not Devs or Rags stuff. (In that case you'd have to burn your wife at the stake!) :joker:

augster 12-17-2003 07:21 PM

My advice: get out of Toronto if it's important to you that your kid doesn't grow up to be a Leafs fan

NJDevs430 12-17-2003 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyers guy
He's got a point, AT LEAST it's not Devs...stuff. (In that case you'd have to burn your wife at the stake!)

Don't let the kid where the booties! Flyers fans need all their toes so they can count to twenty!
JUST KIDDING!!!!
<(-:**
Compromise...let grampa give the kid the booties...but tack a Bobby Clarke poster on the ceiling above the little tyke's crib...after all, how many times is he going to look at his feet?

Teezax 12-18-2003 04:40 AM

Remember this: Feet Grow

Thus new boots and/or shoes are needed
Let your father in law have his way, but teach your kid
the way of the O&B. If he becomes a Leafs fan by the time
he's old enough to talk, take out your belt and go to work
till he changes his mind.

Dar 12-18-2003 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blah
Make sure no pictures are taken of the baby while in the Leafs clothes. That way the kid will have no memory of being dressed in white and blue, and you'll still be able to brainwash you a little Flyers fan.

That's right, you can brainwash them young, but eventually they grow out of it and come to their senses. Kinda like Santa. :D

Slats432 12-18-2003 06:27 AM

I am an Oilers/Habs fan, and the eldest of my kids is an Avs fan. Don't try to coerce them otherwise...they will find the team they like...and it makes for a better rivalry when they play.

Also, as far as the little woman goes...choose your battles wisely grasshopper. Just be happy she likes hockey, and you aren't fighting not to watch figure skating. :D

Overtime 12-18-2003 07:14 AM

Some funny responses!

I agree with those who say to let the kid wear them. What harm will it do? If you lived in Philly you might get ridiculed but in Toronto the baby will get smiles and his self confidence will rise. No big deal.

Buy him a pair of Flyers booties to wear in the house, and put the Leafs ones on when going outside into the snow. Babies booties have a tendency to fall off and get lost. :D