HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   OT: Return of the King (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=36858)

Edge 12-17-2003 08:30 PM

OT: Return of the King

Saw it last night at 12:01 am. Loved it, haven't felt that completed about a trilogy since Star Wars (though i wasnt quite old enough to see the first two and remember).

great movie and def. worth seeing. if you havent didnt see the first two in theatres {as i didnt} go rent em or even buy them and catch the third one.

anyone else see this one yet?

i am off to bed, the movie resulted in my going to sleep at 4:30 am and then having to get up for work at 7.

majicpixie 12-17-2003 08:44 PM

I haven't seen it yet, but I can't wait to. I've loved LoTR for as long as I can remember, and the movies are just incredible. I hope this will open the door to more movies based on other classics, like Shannara.

Barnaby 12-17-2003 09:04 PM

I thought it was really good too. I saw it Wed at 12:01 as well :) It was well worth it even tho I had a final at 8am that morning.

I just wish Tom Bambadil woulda been in the first movie. The third one was awesome but did have one thing I really didnt like but I dont wanna give anything away. Suffice to say I didnt like the green cloud.

Son of Steinbrenner 12-18-2003 04:41 AM

i saw it yestarday. there is a scene at the end of the movie that brought tears to my eyes. just an amazing trilogy. now i wish i had read the books that my father gave me. i remember looking at them and thinking if these books were any good there would be a movie. who knew

Edge 12-18-2003 11:44 AM

read em while in college, not the easiest of reads but if you get through em you will enjoy them.

as for the green cloud, i thought that was kinda cool. fairly frightening too.

ihatenewjersey 12-18-2003 12:55 PM

the movie was friggin awesome, they did everything right. its all i could have wanted from three long azz movies, go see it if u have not already and if u haven't seen any, u better- pee before u see this movie

Barnaby 12-18-2003 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ihatenewjersey
the movie was friggin awesome, they did everything right. its all i could have wanted from three long azz movies, go see it if u have not already and if u haven't seen any, u better- pee before u see this movie

My suggestion: wait 45min - 1 hour before you start drinking otherwise your in trouble cuz your not gonna want to leave the theater.

Shadowtron 12-18-2003 05:59 PM

I'll be seeing it with my wife on Sunday. I have the extended editions of the first two parts on DVD. Awesome version. I highly recommend them for any DVD library.

I'm reading Eye of the World by Robert Jordan. It's the first book in the Wheel of Time series. Great read if any of you are up for a good fantasy yarn. I highly recommend it.

Barnaby 12-18-2003 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowtron
I'll be seeing it with my wife on Sunday. I have the extended editions of the first two parts on DVD. Awesome version. I highly recommend them for any DVD library.

I'm reading Eye of the World by Robert Jordan. It's the first book in the Wheel of Time series. Great read if any of you are up for a good fantasy yarn. I highly recommend it.

Quick summary? I'm not a big fantasy reader, but I loved the LOTR books so maybe I'll like it.

Edge 12-19-2003 12:10 AM

ok so this begs the question, of the three movies, which did you like the most?

True Blue 12-19-2003 04:05 AM

Quote:

I read every single one of them. GREAT series. That and the George R.R. Martin series are the best reads that I have come across in a while.

ihatenewjersey 12-19-2003 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edge

if i had to select one to sit and watch it would be the first

pld459666 12-19-2003 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edge

Considering how they filmed it, it was actually 1 movie broken into 3 parts I would have to say that the 2nd release is the the one I have enjoyed the most (admittedly I haven't seen the 3 release yet).

I think that filimg the whole movie all at once gave it more of a continous feel from Lord of the Rings to the Two Towers, I'm hoping that that feeling is there for The Return of the King.

Anyway, hush now, someone may give something away and I wouldn'tbe to pleased :eek: :teach:

j/k

pld459666 12-19-2003 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pld459666
Considering how they filmed it, it was actually 1 movie broken into 3 parts I would have to say that the 2nd release is the the one I have enjoyed the most (admittedly I haven't seen the 3 release yet).

I think that filimg the whole movie all at once gave it more of a continous feel from Lord of the Rings to the Two Towers, I'm hoping that that feeling is there for The Return of the King.

Anyway, hush now, someone may give something away and I wouldn'tbe to pleased :eek: :teach:

j/k

And I'll be back once I re-learn how to spell.

You would think I was having some pre-christmas party boozing session.

Dorthmall 12-19-2003 08:21 AM

Quote:

Bleh, the first few books were really good, but the series really seemed to drag out later on. The most recent one is a lot better at actually moving the story along, so maybe Jordan is going to pick up the pace. The first few book were really good though, so thats definately worth a read.

Oh yeah, I absolutely HATE Nynaeve, she's quite possibly the most annoying character ever.

Barnaby 12-19-2003 09:00 AM

I'll have to check some of those out... Thanks

As far as which I enjoyed the most, I'm going to go with the first movie.... even if there was no Tom Bambadil :) The end of the second was awesome too.

majicpixie 12-19-2003 09:35 AM

Quote:

I've been thinking of looking into that series, and Dragons of Pern, too. I'd like to recommend the Shannara series by Terry Brooks, it's excellent.

Shadowtron 12-19-2003 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorthmall
Bleh, the first few books were really good, but the series really seemed to drag out later on. The most recent one is a lot better at actually moving the story along, so maybe Jordan is going to pick up the pace. The first few book were really good though, so thats definately worth a read.

Oh yeah, I absolutely HATE Nynaeve, she's quite possibly the most annoying character ever.

I've heard the same things about the series. I just finished the 1st book last night and loved it. I guess, considering the length of the series, there has to be a middle to it...and middles tend to drag. So I can imagine how it must be considering about 3 or so books make up the middle of the overall story. Heheheheheh.

Shadowtron 12-19-2003 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by majicpixie
I've been thinking of looking into that series, and Dragons of Pern, too. I'd like to recommend the Shannara series by Terry Brooks, it's excellent.

Like a lot of fantasy it's heavily influenced by Tolkien. The series has a legion of followers, and I thouroughly enjoyed the first book. A lot say it's dragged around books 5-8, but I guess it's to be expected considering the sheer volume of the story. Pick it up...I think you'll really enjoy it.

Shadowtron 12-19-2003 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by True Blue
I read every single one of them. GREAT series. That and the George R.R. Martin series are the best reads that I have come across in a while.

I have "A Game of Thrones" by Martin. I'm a little reluctant to start it however. The writing is solid. But I don't know how I feel about a legion of characters. I tend to hover towards books with at least one character I can follow throughout. Like in the WOT series, as many characters as there are, I found myself drawn to Rand and Perrin. Are the George Martin books that way? Can I latch onto a character, or is it something where I couldn't because I may not see the character until a couple of hundred pages later?

True Blue 12-19-2003 12:10 PM

Quote:

Are the George Martin books that way? Can I latch onto a character, or is it something where I couldn't because I may not see the character until a couple of hundred pages later?

I think the Martin books are that way. There are a ton of characters, but out of them, there are definetly a handfull of those I would consider to be "main" characters. I do not think they lag 100 pages. Martin is not shy about killing off characters either.

Mark Pavelich 12-22-2003 02:55 PM

I loved the movie but thought it could have ended about 30 minutes earlier.

Edge 12-22-2003 03:12 PM

me and a buddy of mine calculated the other night that when they release the third extended edition {the are gonna add an hour of footage} that the entire series will check in at 12 hours.

Fellowship at 3 1/2
Towers at 3:45
Return at 4:30

total time 11hrs and 45 minutes.

if you sat down and watched the movies at noon {and didnt stop at all for food, bathroom breaks} you would finish sometime around midnight.

Trendsetter 12-22-2003 04:32 PM

The Wheel of Time series by Jordan is easily the best fantasy piece ive ever experienced

The Shannara books are a bit too similiar LoTR for my taste, and a bit too childish. LoTR is ofcourse good, but its a bit too predictable..could have been more to the end of it, but its magic. The movies are hyped and overrated though. Not THAT good

As some of you mention, WoT drags out..i read the 7th and 8th book in 2 weeks, but now i got the the last book..10th i think, 5 months ago, and i have yet to start reading it. Up to book 9 though, its extremely giving to read..and if you are a fantasy fan, you cant simply miss out on it. Its the best

Ranger Wolf 12-22-2003 07:54 PM

Quote:

I have "A Game of Thrones" by Martin. I'm a little reluctant to start it however. The writing is solid. But I don't know how I feel about a legion of characters. I tend to hover towards books with at least one character I can follow throughout. Like in the WOT series, as many characters as there are, I found myself drawn to Rand and Perrin. Are the George Martin books that way? Can I latch onto a character, or is it something where I couldn't because I may not see the character until a couple of hundred pages later?

This is absolutely the best written epic fantasy series out there. If you like Jordan at all, you'll enjoy Martin much more. And considering the legion of characters Jordan has, shouldn't be much of a problem with Martin. And Martin's characters have much more substance. You may go a few pages between characters but all the main characters are enthralling in their own way. And the intrigue! It puts Jordan's Game of Houses to shame.

Patiently (NOT) waiting for Martin's book 4, A Feast of Crows.