HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Pitkanen a healthy scratch? and robert esche question? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=36982)

12trads 12-18-2003 10:46 AM

Pitkanen a healthy scratch? and robert esche question?

I hear Joni Pitkanen is going to be a healthy scratch to tonight's game. He hasn't been too good on the stat sheet lately. 1 assist, and - 3 in last 5 games.

Can I expect to see him scratched a lot? Who is going to replace him?

And, I heard a while ago that Hitch will make a decision on his starting goalie sometime in January because he wants a clear number one guy come playoff time. Is their any truth to that, and who do most people think will get the call?

any info would be appreciated.

thanks
12trads

fisby 12-18-2003 10:54 AM

[QUOTE=12trads]I hear Joni Pitkanen is going to be a healthy scratch to tonight's game. He hasn't been too good on the stat sheet lately. 1 assist, and - 3 in last 5 games.

What a question

Teezax 12-18-2003 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12trads
I hear Joni Pitkanen is going to be a healthy scratch to tonight's game. He hasn't been too good on the stat sheet lately. 1 assist, and - 3 in last 5 games.

And, I heard a while ago that Hitch will make a decision on his starting goalie sometime in January because he wants a clear number one guy come playoff time. Is their any truth to that, and who do most people think will get the call?

any info would be appreciated.

thanks
12trads

You won't see Pitkanen scratched too many times this year, this will be the second. he's a young kind who is not used to a busy schedule plus his play has dropped a tad so Hitch is gonna scratch him to get his mindset back into it. As far as goaltending goes, the majority of us think it's likely going to be Esche going into the playoffs, unless some drastic change takes a toll on the way he's played so far. Don't count out a deadline deal though, but Hack has a NTC and Esche is still developing and he is very well liked by the organization.

12trads 12-18-2003 11:00 AM

[QUOTE=fisby]
Quote:

What a question

Maybe someone knows he is going to be sent down to the minors...or maybe someone has come back from injury and thats why...or maybe the coach is on the record for having a problem with the guy?

not really a tough question.

12trads 12-18-2003 11:02 AM

thanks Teezax.

swflyers8* 12-18-2003 11:06 AM

Quote:

Maybe someone knows he is going to be sent down to the minors...or maybe someone has come back from injury and thats why...or maybe the coach is on the record for having a problem with the guy?
He will not get sent to the Phantoms and have a guy like Chris Therien in his place. Pitkanen is just taking a game off. He is a rookie. He needs a break. No one is coming back from injury and how could Hitch have a problem with one of the top rookies in the league? He'll be back.
He's made a couple of rookie mistakes as of late, by doing this it may motivate him to pick up his play. :teach:

meadvilledog 12-21-2003 04:37 PM

Quote:

not really a tough question.

In the beginning of the year hitch was quoted as saying they would sit joni about every 15 games. So he could rest and gather his thoughts. He missed the isles game because of the flu, and then they probably decided to give him an extra day because of how well vandy played. He'll be back though.

John Flyers Fan 12-21-2003 04:47 PM

Pitkanen was a healthy scratch on Tursday, but he was scheduled to play this weekend.

He didn't play this weekend because of the flu.

GoneFullHextall 12-21-2003 05:20 PM

Vandy was not that good tonite.

DanKordicsFist 12-21-2003 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClarkeMustGoDotCom

2 goals last night against the Islanders. The TEAM is slumping and it's beginning to look like they are playing worse in front of Hackett. It's only one game since Esche returned but he did get the win in the increasing glut of losses.

John Flyers Fan 12-22-2003 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClarkeMustGoDotCom

A game like last night illustrates why +/- isn't always a good stat. A -4 looks awfuk in the boxscore, but when you analyze the goals:

Goal 1: Gift from Hackett
Goal 2: Vandermeer has a clear path to the puck behind the net, he gets interfered/held (not called) and Kovalchuk gets to the puck, centers it for a goal.
Goal 3: Another soft goal from Hackett
Goal 4: Pressing late in the game down by 2, Primeau tries a home-run pass that is picked off, bang-bang it's in the net.

He really didn't have a bad night.

John Flyers Fan 12-23-2003 03:57 AM

Excerpted from today's Inquirer

Pitkanen still out

Joni Pitkanen will miss his fourth game in a row tonight, the last three due to the flu. But if there was any idea that the play of fellow rookie Jim Vandermeer would mean that Pitkanen would have a tough time getting back a regular spot in the defensive lineup, Ken Hitchcock dispelled that.

Hitchcock has made it clear in the past few days that Pitkanen was not going to be replaced.

"From our standpoint [Pitkanen] is a necessary element for what we need. He's very important on the power play, he's very important four-on-four and he's a guy that is going to get better," Hitchcock said.

That, however, does not mean Vandermeer will necessarily go back to being the extra guy. Hitchcock said he is considering using a rotation, something he said he wanted to avoid at the start of the season.

But having two rookies emerging as important players means that veterans will have to sit a game here or there to keep the young guys playing.

"I think the thing that's emerging here is that Vandermeer is improving kind of game-by-game, so it's good to get him feeling part of the group, too," Hitchcock said. "And I don't think it hurts Joni to sit out. I don't think it hurts him to take some time off.

"This is a long season and for somebody who has not played this kind of a season, has never been involved in this type of intensity and amount of games, it's good to take a break, and we'll do it a couple of more times before the end of the year so [Pitkanen] is fresh.

"It's a team, but it's also competitive and you have to reward people who are playing well. I just think right now that Jimmy Vandermeer is a guy who is playing well, so why not reward him?

"But I don't want it to be at the expense of Joni Pitkanen. There are other guys who are going to not play in some games, and because we are a group of seven we want to keep everybody going. It might end up being a little bit of a rotation; I'm not opposed to doing that, but also, if somebody is not playing well, we'll look at that."