HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   what would it take for the avs to acquire laraque?l (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=36989)

DRL 12-18-2003 11:07 AM

what would it take for the avs to acquire laraque?l

i gotta admit ever since the summer i have envisioned icing a line with worrell and laraque on it, and since granato likes dressing up to 4 tough guys a game(cummins, mcallister, worrell, mccormick last night) might as well dress some that can actually play!

i could also see laraque cycling and playing a strong board game nicley with kono and niko!

what would he cost the avs?

AvsGuy 12-18-2003 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRL
i gotta admit ever since the summer i have envisioned icing a line with worrell and laraque on it, and since granato likes dressing up to 4 tough guys a game(cummins, mcallister, worrell, mccormick last night) might as well dress some that can actually play!

i could also see laraque cycling and playing a strong board game nicley with kono and niko!

what would he cost the avs?

TO EDMONTON:

Johnny Boychuk, Phil Sauve, Florida's 2nd rounder in 2004

TO COLORADO:

Georges Laraque, Tommy Salo

DRL 12-18-2003 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AvsGuy
TO EDMONTON:

TO COLORADO:

i think salo is too pricey to be the avs backup and too inconsistent.

i was thinking more along the lines of boychuk, a 5th and mcallister, i know he is crap but he could fill laraque shoes somewhat.

oilers_guy_eddie 12-18-2003 11:45 AM

What would it take?

I think all it would take would be for Lowe to have another trade lined up to bring in a player that would make up for losing Laraque's popularity in the eyes of the ticket buyer. Terrific guy, terrific in the community, but the Gentleman Pugilist attitude isn't cutting it. If the Laraque that we saw in the playoffs would show up more often, he'd be invaluable... but we've been saying that for years. If Lowe could find somebody worth spending Laraque's salary on, you could probably have him for cheap.

Ice Cream Man 12-18-2003 11:59 AM

Wouldn't go through anyways. Laraque has stated he would rather retire than play for another team besides the Oilers (must be the water or something up there in Edmonchuk.... :D ).

If he was to go to Colorado, I'd ask for Svatos, even though he's injured, if I were Lowe. Him or Boychuk.

oildrop 12-18-2003 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man
Wouldn't go through anyways. Laraque has stated he would rather retire than play for another team besides the Oilers (must be the water or something up there in Edmonchuk.... :D ).

If he was to go to Colorado, I'd ask for Svatos, even though he's injured, if I were Lowe. Him or Boychuk.

I think that rumour about Laraque retiring if he was traded to another NHL team is false. I am pretty sure that he said he would retire if he was traded to Montreal because of all the media attention and all the pressure put on players in Montreal, specially players who grew up there like Laraque did.

As for what it would take for the Avs to get Laraque? Well, I'm not really too sure.

btmarshall 12-18-2003 01:15 PM

Wouldn't go through anyways. Laraque has stated he would rather retire than play for another team besides the Oilers

...and then what would he do?

The guy is an NHL hockey player, and if he gets traded, he's going to play hockey. He's a goon who doesn't fight right now, and he's unlikely to protest too much one way or another. Right now he needs to find his game again. I'm also not convinced Lacroix wants or needs him.

Ryno 12-18-2003 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AvsGuy
TO EDMONTON:

TO COLORADO:

DONE DONE DONE!!

Hurry now, fax in the paperwork and get the conference call going before you change your mind ;)

Edonator 12-18-2003 01:48 PM

Hell Umberger+May for Laraque. Even throw in a 3rd! Laraque is amazing and does what is asked. Best fighter in the league and pretty close to bertuzzi and size and toughness. Play him with the sedins

Ice Cream Man 12-18-2003 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btmarshall

...and then what would he do?

The guy is an NHL hockey player, and if he gets traded, he's going to play hockey. He's a goon who doesn't fight right now, and he's unlikely to protest too much one way or another. Right now he needs to find his game again. I'm also not convinced Lacroix wants or needs him.

I don't know, buddy - you tell me.

Ask Laraque what his decision would be. He'd know better than I would.

Legionnaire 12-18-2003 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oildrop
I think that rumour about Laraque retiring if he was traded to another NHL team is false. I am pretty sure that he said he would retire if he was traded to Montreal because of all the media attention and all the pressure put on players in Montreal, specially players who grew up there like Laraque did.

As for what it would take for the Avs to get Laraque? Well, I'm not really too sure.

Nope I remember the quote, which was straight from Laraque's mouth. It was right before he got his contract renewed, and there had been rumblings about him wanting too much money. So naturally the trade rumors started and that is when he addressed the rumors. What he said was, that if he were traded he would play the remainder of the season with that team, but after that he would retire if he couldn't play for Edmonton.

IceBagadonuts 12-18-2003 04:38 PM

Laraque

Laraque is kinda interesting, but...

1. The Avs already have Worrell... with Cummins and McCormick as back-up enforcers... and all 3 for about Laraque's total salary.

2. When was the last time the Avs and Oilers did ANY trade? The only NW divisional rival they've done any trade with in recent years was Calgary (Drury, Morris, etc.). An "enforcer" trade probably also involves some emotional issues beyond any normal trade. Could you really envision Laraque whuppin' on his old Oil pals (effectively) 5 times a year?

3. Any trade for more enforcer depth is, frankly, far down the Avs' acquisition-priority list right now.

Now, some #6 D-man who can skate and "enforce" is my cup of tea.

SensGod 12-18-2003 05:07 PM

Laraque will retire if he is traded from Edmonton ;)

c-carp 12-18-2003 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
What would it take?

I think all it would take would be for Lowe to have another trade lined up to bring in a player that would make up for losing Laraque's popularity in the eyes of the ticket buyer. Terrific guy, terrific in the community, but the Gentleman Pugilist attitude isn't cutting it. If the Laraque that we saw in the playoffs would show up more often, he'd be invaluable... but we've been saying that for years. If Lowe could find somebody worth spending Laraque's salary on, you could probably have him for cheap.

Are peop;e up in Edmonton really hacked off at Georges? When he is motivated he is the best scrapper inthe league and he can play. I would hesitate to give up on him but you see him play more than I do?

oilers_guy_eddie 12-18-2003 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c-carp
Are peop;e up in Edmonton really hacked off at Georges? When he is motivated he is the best scrapper inthe league and he can play. I would hesitate to give up on him but you see him play more than I do?

He's one of the top fighters in the league, but I wouldn't call him one of the top enforcers. In tonight's game-- I had the TV on in the other room, so I heard it but didn't see exactly what happened-- Jason Chimera took an instigator penalty for going across the ice to go after a guy who put a questionable hit on Horcoff... Ray Ferraro (on color) questioned why Chimera had to be the guy to come in and stick up for his team-mate when Laraque was standing *right there*. And that's actually pretty typical. Laraque later on decisioned Matt Johnson, which is ok I guess... but I'd really prefer it if he'd pay more attention to enforcing-- going after people who take liberties. Usually when he fights it's just these gentlemen's challenge matches with the other team's designated tough-guy.

Georges at his best is an intimidator, agitator, instigator, enforcer, and provides energy for the whole team. Too bad that guy hasn't been seen since the playoffs. Yeah, I hate to give up on him too, because if he could figure out how to bring that game to the rink for even 20 nights a year, and he'd be great. But we've been saying that for years, and it's starting to look like it might never happen. I love the guy, but god it's frustrating.

I Am Ziggy Palffy 12-19-2003 10:30 AM

worrell is enough...he alone intimidates more than anyone in the league...paying over 3 mil on 2 enforcers is pretty pricy...plus...there jus wont be enough fights for the both of them...which would make them pretty worthless int he lineup

windowlicker 12-20-2003 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by great_one98
Hell Umberger+May for Laraque. Even throw in a 3rd! Laraque is amazing and does what is asked. Best fighter in the league and pretty close to bertuzzi and size and toughness. Play him with the sedins

Larague is Close to Bertuzzi in size & toughness? as big and menacing as Bertuzzi is and appears on ice..... theres a reason Todd would never try to start anything with Georges.... because he knows better.

JoeKlein 12-20-2003 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SensGod

Players make this kind of statement all the time.

When was the last time anyone came through on it?

Chayos 12-20-2003 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SensGod

YAH RIGHT! He is going to give up 12-15 million US dollars he will make in the next 10 years. NOT

He is happy where he is, but if he is traded he will say all the right thing about being exited, a new challenge blah, blah blah.

Laraque will go where he is traded and play there happily'

OilerMania83 12-20-2003 03:47 PM

What would Colorado be willing to give for Laraque?

Tanguay? ;)

Kevin Lowe seems to be on a First Round pick trip so...

To Edm:

Colorado's First and Prospect (??)

To Col:

Laraque

You would have to overpay to have Laraque sent to a team the Oilers play 6 times a year though.

Wingboy2999 12-20-2003 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by great_one98

Umberger
May
3rd
for
Laraque

Done. I would jump all over that if I were the Oilers. That would be a great trade for them. Easily....

Wingboy2999 12-20-2003 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OilerMania83
What would Colorado be willing to give for Laraque?

Tanguay? ;)

Kevin Lowe seems to be on a First Round pick trip so...

To Edm:

Colorado's First and Prospect (??)

To Col:

Laraque

You would have to overpay to have Laraque sent to a team the Oilers play 6 times a year though.

The same amount he got for Comrie? I think he would get less.

DaMick 12-20-2003 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IceBagadonuts
Laraque is kinda interesting, but...

1. The Avs already have Worrell... with Cummins and McCormick as back-up enforcers... and all 3 for about Laraque's total salary.

2. Any trade for more enforcer depth is, frankly, far down the Avs' acquisition-priority list right now.

Now, some #6 D-man who can skate and "enforce" is my cup of tea.

great points...

my response would have been alot simplier

Um...Why? Colo doesnt need another goon

OilerMania83 12-20-2003 11:44 PM

Sending Laraque to a team in our own division would deserve something equal or a bit better then the Comrie trades return. I wouldnt want him playing for the Avs and pounding the **** outta Hemsky and every other Oiler six times a year.

two out of three* 12-22-2003 12:01 PM

To Colorado: Georges Laraque
To Edmonton: Dan Hinote 2nd Rnd 05