HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Rest Hossa? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=370199)

polako 04-14-2007 06:02 PM

Rest Hossa?

Just wondering what the opinion of everyone is regarding the first line on Tuesday.

With a two game lead and a hobbling Hossa, do you think Renney will consider scratching him and inserting Isbister in his place?

We saw in the first period on Thursday what a healthy Hossa could do for this team, but he looks so tentative out there ever since the Zhitnik hit...getting knocked off the puck, not turning sharply, and even falling down a few times.

Given the physical nature of this series, I'm wondering if playing him on Tuesday is a good idea. If NYR win on Tues, I would strongly consider sitting him in G4. There is not much of a dropoff, in regards to first line productivity, with Isbister out there, and I think a healthier Hossa is significantly more valuable.

It's risky, but could be a better long term decision. Thoughts?

Ola 04-14-2007 06:07 PM

Would make some sense, back to back is always tough on bad knees, there are always small bleedings month afterwards.

Though would kind of be suprised if it happend, teams/players in this league at this time of the year seems to have it as a principle that if you can play you play.

broadwayblue 04-14-2007 06:09 PM

Since we have two days off until the next game, I'd play him in game 3 if he can go, and then rest him in game 4 if he's not close to 100%.

FLYLine24* 04-14-2007 06:11 PM

No way. He's getting 2 days off now, and this is the playoffs. He looks fine out there. If he needs any rest he won't participate in practice the next to days but I doubt he takes off.

GratefulDead 04-14-2007 06:27 PM

This is the playoffs, even if you are hurt you still play!

MisterUnspoken 04-14-2007 06:41 PM

Hossa!! :handclap:

He did fine today but he is def not 100%. If he needs a rest I'm sure he'll get one.

Nich 04-14-2007 06:43 PM

no, you play to win every game. and if you play well enough, you have plenty of time to rest before the next series....ala sweep....as i called

Fletch 04-14-2007 07:16 PM

Hossa's strength....

on the puck led to a Rangers PP...I don't think he rests (except for the next couple days). I think he's a good deal better than Isbister and the last thing you do is take a two-game lead (both close games) for granted and start resting players - win at home in four - there's plenty of time to rest this Summer...

Son of Steinbrenner 04-14-2007 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYLine88 (Post 8925359)
No way. He's getting 2 days off now, and this is the playoffs. He looks fine out there. If he needs any rest he won't participate in practice the next to days but I doubt he takes off.

You said it right there...

This is the playoffs...Hossa has also been effective the first two games...

Stanley Foobrick 04-14-2007 08:18 PM

I'm of the belief that he should play game 3, because he does get a couple of days off. With a win in that game I would look very closely at game 4. If he isn't 100%, why risk injury with a 3 game lead?

The Thomas J.* 04-14-2007 08:54 PM

I was surprised he played today, He needs to be productive in order to keep his spot, other wise we could get the same type of non-goal scoring play from a healthly Isbister.

NYR fan 2 04-14-2007 09:11 PM

you can't rest someone just because your up 2-0 in the series, that can turn very quickly. Game 3 could quite possibly be the most important game in the series now, Rangers win they have the upperhand by quite a margin; Tampa win they are right back in the series.

Phil333 04-14-2007 09:14 PM

I'd not work him hard in practice the next couple of days and see how he feels.

Brian Boyle 04-14-2007 09:19 PM

no. go for the sweep, he can rest then.

as some have hinted at, it's the playoffs.

Screaming Banshee 04-14-2007 09:52 PM

You play hurt; this ain't baseball!

dynamoovechkin 04-14-2007 10:56 PM

Nice thought, and true he didn't look as good in Gm 2 as Gm 1, but with 2 wins in a row, you change absolutely nothing. (Sorry Holyweg).

Boy the Rangers look disciplined right now. Feeling great about this team!

Greg in MA 04-15-2007 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYR fan 2 (Post 8928109)
you can't rest someone just because your up 2-0 in the series, that can turn very quickly. Game 3 could quite possibly be the most important game in the series now, Rangers win they have the upperhand by quite a margin; Tampa win they are right back in the series.

We're playing Tampa?

Nitpicking aside, this is the playoffs. If he can play, he plays.

Balej20* 04-15-2007 12:27 AM

No let up. This is the playoffs. If there is a chance to put this away in 5 games or so, you gotta do it. You can rest up with the extra days after the series is over.

GarretJoseph* 04-15-2007 01:27 AM

No way. If he can skate, he plays.

Besides he'll have tons of time to heal after we sweep Atlanta.

hockeyfrenchfan 04-15-2007 02:50 AM

yes but when you're tired, even if it's the playoffs you still play but you' re less efficient.. put him on game 3 and see what's happening...

this third leg is the most important of the season !!

ATLANTARANGER* 04-15-2007 07:44 AM

I was thinking about that exact same thing and my opinion is yes, we sit him out, put in Isbister for game 3, take out Orr and insert Hollweg. That gives Marcel 3 full days of rest and woul dbe the perfect time to give him a blow. His knee is obviously not 100%. There are times during the games where he is not as agile as he needs to be.

bubba5 04-15-2007 09:11 AM

I would play him game 3 and see how he does, if he struggles (and is in a lot of pain) rest him on Game 4. Don't forget he was also off for over a month, the first game back is always the easiest, and he looked good in game one.

blue2noise 04-15-2007 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue'sClues (Post 8927184)
I'm of the belief that he should play game 3, because he does get a couple of days off. With a win in that game I would look very closely at game 4. If he isn't 100%, why risk injury with a 3 game lead?

That's exactly the kind of mentailty that will help you blow a series lead. You keep your foot on the gas.

bleedrngrblue 04-15-2007 02:09 PM

I think you've got to go with the best lineup, which by now clearly includes Marcel Hossa on the first line, cycling and helping create space for Jagr, as well as keeping his eyes open for those juicy rebounds. He may indeed not be 100%, but at this time of the season, lots of players are not 100%, and those who fight through it and contribute to their respective teams, are usually responsible for helping their teams win a series.

geisenNYR 04-16-2007 07:37 AM

It's good thinking but a bad idea. Hossa is going to be in the lineup every night if healthy, and as long as he is healthy enough to play 13-15 minutes, he should be in the lineup. They need him, Jagr, and Nylander to get in rhythm, for a long playoff run.